nascar ended up with a corrupt race

Freeze the field in their positions at the first scoring loop after the yellow for Bowyer's spin, same as if it started raining and they called the race.

That, and sufficient penalties to discourage anything like this in the future.

I like this but with an addendum:
Joey Lagano also disqualified from the chase. Joey did nothing wrong but Michael Waltrip and company did on Joey's behalf so put him back where he would have been before the cheating occurred.
Jeff Gordon reinstated into 10th.
Ryan Newman reinstated into 13th.
It wont happen but I can dream.

100% this.

Gordon cannot catch a break here at Richmond.

Second time he got utterly f*cked because a team and a driver doesn't like him.

Menard did the same thing a few years ago to prevent Gordon from winning and now Bowyer does the same to pretty much prevent him from making the chase, only this time he screwed Newman too.

The corruption is undeniable.

I just finished work and I have been able to read a little more about the story. Nascar may have to address this more seriously than I orginally realized.

This story will not go away like I originally expected. The world has changed, the story has gone viral on the internet, and people unbridled by Nascars strong hand will not let it die.

I still think Nascar is more interested in damage control than justice. If the weight of doing nothing is heavier than the fall out of penalizing Napa, 5 hour and Aarons they will be forced to respond.

But that opens a whole new mess, there will be no consensus on how to resolve the issue, it is a damned if you do or don't situation.

Assuming everyone aggrees that MWR deserves punishing, there is then the messy business of how to reset matters.
That is an impossible task, this issue is the perfect storm, all effected parties are damaged even the innocent parties.
It's not going way because race fans have had enough of it. sports should have real outcomes and entertainment fake ones.

You guys are ridiculous. You probably thought before the lucky dog the leaders slowing down to let certain people back on the lead lap was awful too.

Huh? I really don't recall that happening. Nice try though...

Well I hope whatever they do they don't go the stick n ball way..fake trial, slap on the wrist, B.S media circus.. Hope France and helton get up there and say "that's team racing" if that is what happened, everybody involved says they weren't sandbaggin. Done, on to the chase. We have Nascar approved Crying towels for sale with your favorite drivers numbers on them. Better luck next year.

You guys are ridiculous. You probably thought before the lucky dog the leaders slowing down to let certain people back on the lead lap was awful too.
A lot of that was done because the leader didn't want that guy beating on there bumper trying to get there lap back with the double file restart with the lap cars inside of then going into turn one.

So what I find laughable about the whole thing MWR did all of that to make sure Truex made the chase, but in the end, what will it matter...he has about as good of a shot of winning the thing as Gordon would of had if he made it..not happening....I would say JJ, Kenseth, Harvick or Kyle are about the only four in this field that stands much of a chance....just my opinion

A lot of that was done because the leader didn't want that guy beating on there bumper trying to get there lap back with the double file restart with the lap cars inside of then going into turn one.

i could be wrong, but i believe it became a safety issue. can't remember the circumstances, but i think racing back to the yellow flag about got someone killed when they wrecked in front of the start finish line.

i could be wrong, but i believe it became a safety issue. can't remember the circumstances, but i think racing back to the yellow flag about got someone killed when they wrecked in front of the start finish line.
no one got killed racing back to the yellow. That is the reason for pit road speed limit.

I think that came about because they had the lap down cars on the inside, and fans were mad because they were getting in the way..kinda like Manard with two last night, but on a larger scale with a whole inside line.

think jj's bad 3 weeks was just a fluke. w/ kahne/gordon chase questionable.

"amazin turnaround" comin in chicago......wait-n-see. ha!

no one got killed racing back to the yellow. That is the reason for pit road speed limit.

i know it's only Wikipedia but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_back_to_the_caution

Problems with racing back to the caution
The practice sometimes created dangerous situations in which cars would be racing near wrecked cars, with possibly injured drivers, and prevent the safety team from reaching the stricken cars quickly. Also, there were numerous situations where cars racing back to the caution nearly, or in some cases did, become part of the crash by plowing into slow or stopped cars on the track. This especially showed during the 2003 Sylvania 300 at Loudon when Dale Jarrett had stopped in the middle of the track while the drivers were racing back to the yellow flag. Another infamous incident took place in the 1990 ARCA race at Daytona, where cars racing back to the line crashed into a stationary car being attended to by rescue crews after a multi-car crash, seriously injuring a paramedic.

Also to put this into perspective consider if the Yankees purposely and blatantly threw the final game of the season so the Red Sox missed out on a wild card.

Hah. I actually watched that game. The Yankees did it on purpose as well.

It is good seeing them in a similar situation now. What goes around comes around is all I'm going to say.

Dale Jarrett was stopped in the middle of the track at Loudon and almost got t-boned by cars racing back to the line.

Edit: Looks like I was a bit late. LOL

Yeah having a baby, Smith setting up the car, and I think the car was junk anyway
i know it's only Wikipedia but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_back_to_the_caution

Problems with racing back to the caution
The practice sometimes created dangerous situations in which cars would be racing near wrecked cars, with possibly injured drivers, and prevent the safety team from reaching the stricken cars quickly. Also, there were numerous situations where cars racing back to the caution nearly, or in some cases did, become part of the crash by plowing into slow or stopped cars on the track. This especially showed during the 2003 Sylvania 300 at Loudon when Dale Jarrett had stopped in the middle of the track while the drivers were racing back to the yellow flag. Another infamous incident took place in the 1990 ARCA race at Daytona, where cars racing back to the line crashed into a stationary car being attended to by rescue crews after a multi-car crash, seriously injuring a paramedic.

Oh yeah I though they were talking about restarts. o_O

Nobody got killed, but I'm sure it could have happened eventually when you consider accidents like Dale Jarrett's at Loudon in 2003 which was the metaphorical straw that broke the camel's back.

MWR/Bowyer/Vickers definitely need some sort of penalty levied against them; NASCAR needs to set an example and show that they're taking this seriously. But I agree this isn't the full-blown conspiracy theory some people think it is. MWR still needed a lot of luck. There's no way they could have known it would've guaranteed Truex a spot in the chase, but the fact that they even attemped it in the first place is what needs to be penalized.

Edit: Oops, looks like I was also late.

How about BB teams taking an intentional foul to get the ball back and run out the clock? Or football teams taking an intentional safety, or intentionally downing before the goal line?

I still feel nascar opened this door themselves in the name of entertainment. Doesn't make it right though.

Wow! So this went far beyond the "spin." Had all this extra evidence been brought to Bowyer in his interview, I wonder if he would of had enough time to come up with that many excuses.

This one is really going to hurt NASCAR! For me personally, I can't say that I'm going to quit watching, because that wont happen. However, I believe there are people who will. Many already compare NASCAR to the WWE due to all the "phantom" cautions, and now they have more evidence that it's fixed considering the fact that the two wild card spots were determined by MWR. There is no talking their way out of this one. They MUST take action to save themselves!

I dont get it though. If NASCAR is serious about making a change they would let Gordon in. They only lose out letting a chump like Logano and Truex in.

They're not going to bring in more money than someone like Gordon would.

This is messed up.

I didn't even watch the full race because I was out but I caught the highlughts and I felt like ****t. Now all of this unfolding situation has definitely made it alot better for me.

Knowing that Gordon should be in by all accounts and yet is not is an injustice. I'm just glad everyone agrees with me and its not just because I'm a Gordon fan.

Funny thing is , when Clint spun with 6 laps to go , I didn't hear a single one of you , nor anybody on tv say , lookie there , he did that to get Truex into the chase . Nobody could have known that Gordon would lose out by 1 point , nobody knew that going into the last lap either . Hindsight is really something .

You're one of the clueless dude here.

No one would assume a driver would spin out on purpose, its very unsportments like. They get teh benefit of the doubt but when you get as much evidence as what has come out then things change.

You're one dumb sob.

Gordon probably wouldn't have had a chance in hell anyway had he made the Chase, he was 11th in points with zero wins going into Richmond for a reason.

Your cristal ball told you that?

How many guys in the top ten had zero wins coming into Richmond? You're brilliant.

How about BB teams taking an intentional foul to get the ball back and run out the clock? Or football teams taking an intentional safety, or intentionally downing before the goal line?

I still feel nascar opened this door themselves in the name of entertainment. Doesn't make it right though.
They don't have 43 teams playing each other at the same time. they are playing each other for the win.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is they will never change this unless they eliminate multiple teams. Single owner teams will do a lot to change NASCAR but that too will never happen again. And, NASCAR is not the only racing series that this has happened. A few years ago F1 had the exact same problem. But of course F1 is quite a different thing altogether.

MRW has no integrity. I am reminded that they also stole some parts off Jack Roush once upon a time or at least were accused of it. Nascar is in a pickle here. They either let it go and say its ok or they drop the hammer. Fines mean nothing to these teams. I say park the 15 car for at least one race. I dont think you can go back and let Gordon and Newman in but you cant just walk away and say well thats racin. France and Helton are as crooked as a dogs hind leg but surely they can see what has been created here. It could happen again even in the chase.

At least if they can't change the outcome, NASCAR should offer an apology to the drivers/teams/sponsors who got screwed.

So what I find laughable about the whole thing MWR did all of that to make sure Truex made the chase, but in the end, what will it matter...he has about as good of a shot of winning the thing as Gordon would of had if he made it..not happening....I would say JJ, Kenseth, Harvick or Kyle are about the only four in this field that stands much of a chance....just my opinion

You also have to look at all the perks of being guaranteed a top 12 points finish opposed to possibly finishing 13th or worse.

What is MWR has a clause in their contract with NAPA that if they make the Chase they get more sponsorship $$$.

At least if they can't change the outcome, NASCAR should offer an apology to the drivers/teams/sponsors who got screwed.
Dont hold your breath for that! I am not even a Newman or Gordon fan but I hate to see them screwed. Normally, I am pretty passive but this incident has pissed me off big time.

MRW has no integrity. I am reminded that they also stole some parts off Jack Roush once upon a time or at least were accused of it. Nascar is in a pickle here. They either let it go and say its ok or they drop the hammer. Fines mean nothing to these teams. I say park the 15 car for at least one race. I dont think you can go back and let Gordon and Newman in but you cant just walk away and say well thats racin. France and Helton are as crooked as a dogs hind leg but surely they can see what has been created here. It could happen again even in the chase.
plus the fuel thing right out of the gate at Daytona.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is they will never change this unless they eliminate multiple teams. Single owner teams will do a lot to change NASCAR but that too will never happen again. And, NASCAR is not the only racing series that this has happened. A few years ago F1 had the exact same problem. But of course F1 is quite a different thing altogether.

And the last thing NASCAR needs to do is become F1.

Back
Top Bottom