NFL 2018-19

So why are they still airing commercials to get Eagles Super Bowl gear? Wouldn't most real fans already have something by now?

Still believing the fake news that the city was destroyed.

Blake Bortles signs a three year, $45 million extension to stay in Jacksonville.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/24/jaguars-sign-blake-bortles-through-2020/

Good move. Bortles improved tremendously last year and was three minutes away from taking the Jags to the Super Bowl without the team's best receiver. Defense, ironically, and play calling from Nathaniel Hackett were the main causes for the loss (along with some extremely favorable officiating for New England, but whatever).

Plus this leaves plenty of room for the Jags to re-sign other key players such as Jalen Ramsey and Myles Jack. And Allen Robinson should be back. Maybe they'll sign or draft a decent backup and keep the heat on Bortles so he keeps playing well.

Blake Bortles signs a three year, $45 million extension to stay in Jacksonville.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/24/jaguars-sign-blake-bortles-through-2020/

Good move. Bortles improved tremendously last year and was three minutes away from taking the Jags to the Super Bowl without the team's best receiver. Defense, ironically, and play calling from Nathaniel Hackett were the main causes for the loss (along with some extremely favorable officiating for New England, but whatever).

Plus this leaves plenty of room for the Jags to re-sign other key players such as Jalen Ramsey and Myles Jack. And Allen Robinson should be back. Maybe they'll sign or draft a decent backup and keep the heat on Bortles so he keeps playing well.
Hold up, you spent most of the season trashing him, he has one or two good games in the playoffs and now you tout him as the second coming....wtf.

@AndyMarquisLive will finally be able to see his Jags in primetime.

Didn't say anything about the Jags in primetime though, just the big market teams.

I imagine the Jags will get a 2-3 Monday Night Football games, one Thursday Night Football game (although with Fox picking that up, who knows, they'll probably favor the NFC East teams and the Rams), and maybe a Sunday Night game.

Jacksonville plays both Pittsburgh and New England again next year. A surefire bet NBC picks up one of those games, if not both of them.

I'm itching for a reason to cancel Sunday Ticket. I'm not ****** paying for that.

Didn't say anything about the Jags in primetime though, just the big market teams.

I imagine the Jags will get a 2-3 Monday Night Football games, one Thursday Night Football game (although with Fox picking that up, who knows, they'll probably favor the NFC East teams and the Rams), and maybe a Sunday Night game.

Jacksonville plays both Pittsburgh and New England again next year. A surefire bet NBC picks up one of those games, if not both of them.

I'm itching for a reason to cancel Sunday Ticket. I'm not ******* paying for that.
Eagles Jags would of been a good game for primetime, too bad that's in London though.

It's about time. Spot of the foul for that is ridiculous.
On the flip side this opens up free reign by the defense. A ball is thrown 35 yards down the field. The defensive player is beat big time by the receiver. That defensive player has much less to lose by taking out the receiver under this new scenario.

On the flip side this opens up free reign by the defense. A ball is thrown 35 yards down the field. The defensive player is beat big time by the receiver. That defensive player has much less to lose by taking out the receiver under this new scenario.

I think a blatantly obvious PI will still be a spot foul, but the ticky tack stuff they call 75% of the time will simply become a 15-yard "illegal contact" penalty instead. At least that's what I've been hearing.

Either way, it beats the alternative. There are too may times where a guy is double covered and the QB just heaves up a prayer, knowing there's a good chance the flag-happy refs will call a PI.

Last edited:
I think a blatantly obvious PI will still be a spot foul, but the ticky tack stuff they call 75% of the time will simply become a 15-yard "illegal contact" penalty instead. At least that's what I've been hearing.
Then you're right back to a purely subjective call of intent. When it's anything other than black/white, your opening yourself up to criticism.

When I first heard the proposed change I thought it would be a pretty good change. The more I think about it, the less I like it.

Then you're right back to a purely subjective call of intent. When it's anything other than black/white, your opening yourself up to criticism.

When I first heard the proposed change I thought it would be a pretty good change. The more I think about it, the less I like it.

Personally, I'm fine with that. That's how it is with running into the kicker, that's how it used to be with facemasks. Not all penalties are created equal.

Unfortunately, it's just another byproduct of bad officiating. If they would hire full-time officials that didn't suck, this rule change wouldn't even be necessary IMO.

Personally, I'm fine with that. That's how it is with running into the kicker, that's how it used to be with facemasks. Not all penalties are created equal.

Unfortunately, it's just another byproduct of bad officiating. If they would hire full-time officials that didn't suck, this rule change wouldn't even be necessary IMO.
I'm still trying to figure out why it is necessary.

I'm still trying to figure out why it is necessary.

There are too many times where a guy is double covered and the QB just heaves up a prayer, knowing there's a good chance the flag-happy refs will call a PI. It's a gift more often than not. Also, there's no guarantee the WR would catch it if he wasn't interfered with. Also also, if there's an open WR who has his guy beat, usually the defender doesn't even have the chance to interfere if the QB makes a good throw.

The positives outweigh the negatives for me.

There are too many times where a guy is double covered and the QB just heaves up a prayer, knowing there's a good chance the flag-happy refs will call a PI. It's a gift more often than not. Also, there's no guarantee the WR would catch it if he wasn't interfered with. Also also, if there's an open WR who has his guy beat, usually the defender doesn't even have the chance to interfere if the QB makes a good throw.

The positives outweigh the negatives for me.
I'll leave it as we agree to disagree. ;)

:cheers:

The refs just need to do a better job and not throw a flag for every little thing. It's gotten ridiculous. I also think they should ditch instant replay review, but I know that's not gonna happen.
I agree with you on your instant replay idea. Even with it, we can't all agree on what we see / don't see.

The Browns just picked up Jarvis Landry and Tyrod Taylor. Pretty good day for them.

What an awesome day. I love John Dorsey and the new front office. These guys know what they are doing, which is really nice to have for the first time in, well, ever

What an awesome day. I love John Dorsey and the new front office. These guys know what they are doing, which is really nice to have for the first time in, well, ever

Saw an interesting stat earlier...the Browns have never had a receiver with 100+ receptions in a season in their 68 years in existence.

Landry has done that the past two seasons.

So the question becomes how does this go wrong for the Browns

It won't. Hopefully :D

There's a new regime with proven talent evaluators running the show. For the first time since '99, I actually have faith in the front office. It's easy to mock the Browns for sucking so bad for so long, but I think they are finally getting it right. John Dorsey (new GM) and the guys he brought with him from Green Bay have a track record of success, which could not be said about anyone the Browns have had since their rebirth. "Don't let the sins of the past..." or however that saying goes.

There's a new regime with proven talent evaluators running the show. For the first time since '99, I actually have faith in the front office. It's easy to mock the Browns for sucking so bad for so long, but I think they are finally getting it right. John Dorsey (new GM) and the guys he brought with him from Green Bay have a track record of success, which could not be said about anyone the Browns have had since their rebirth. "Don't let the sins of the past..." or however that saying goes.
I mean if my Eagles can win a Super Bowl anything's possible.

Lmao...yeh good luck with that, I feel for you.

Lots of QB movement today....Cousins to the Vikings, Keenum to the Broncos, Bridgewater to the Jets, and Bradford to the Cardinals are all reportedly going to happen when free agency officially opens tomorrow.

Lots of QB movement today....Cousins to the Vikings, Keenum to the Broncos, Bridgewater to the Jets, and Bradford to the Cardinals are all reportedly going to happen when free agency officially opens tomorrow.

Cousins is a good systems QB but for what he will cost I don't think he will be a significant upgrade for the Vikes. If the Broncos install a system suitable for Keenum he should be fine. Bradford will get hurt in training camp and start 4 games and Bridgewater won't move the needle for the Jets. JMO

Cousins is a good systems QB but for what he will cost I don't think he will be a significant upgrade for the Vikes. If the Broncos install a system suitable for Keenum he should be fine. Bradford will get hurt in training camp and start 4 games and Bridgewater won't move the needle for the Jets. JMO
I don't get all the Kirk Cousins hype either. I think he's a slightly better than average QB, and not worth nearly what the Vikes are going to pay him.

Holy crap

Looks like Nashville is turning into Foxborough South....the Titans are signing Malcolm Butler and Dion Lewis tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom