Old Chase threads

but Gordon had 2 2nd place finishes!!!!
He finished 1st or 2nd in five of the Chase races; I don't see how that's worse than Newman. Newman points-raced his way in.

You could say the same for Keselowski - 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 16th, 31st, 36th. Not as good a useless stat like average finish but he had more success than Newman did.

If this had been the rule this year, the 6 best cars all season would've been duking it out at Homestead. We would have the winningest driver, the guy with the best Chase, the guy with the best overall season, the fastest car all year, the Daytona 500 champion, and the defending series champion. We would've had the following.

Instead with the stupid points resets we got the following. Two of the cars mentioned above, a driver who had about an 8th place season, and a driver who's made no effort to win any races whatsoever and has simply finished races more often then not.

Now which championship battle would be more entertaining? You be the judge.

He finished 1st or 2nd in five of the Chase races; I don't see how that's worse than Newman. Newman points-raced his way in.

You could say the same for Keselowski - 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 16th, 31st, 36th. Not as good a useless stat like average finish but he had more success than Newman did.

So what do we want? A system based on wins or a system based on points? Right now it seems like we have a system based on both. You want to look at failure then look at Gordon, Kesolowski, Busch, Kenseth, Johnson, and Jr. Those guys were the ones that didn't step up and do what they needed to in order to move on. They were the ones that left more out on the track. I can't blame anyone, but them.

So what do we want? A system based on wins or a system based on points? Right now it seems like we have a system based on both. You want to look at failure then look at Gordon, Kesolowski, Busch, Kenseth, Johnson, and Jr. Those guys were the ones that didn't step up and do what they needed to in order to move on. They were the ones that left more out on the track. I can't blame anyone, but them.

You're right. Gordon wrecked into himself at Texas, and those other guys wrecked themselves at Talladega, it's all their fault, nobody else to blame :rolleyes:

So what do we want? A system based on wins or a system based on points?
A season-long points championship using a scale that emphasizes wins, i.e.: not the linear scale we've had since 2011.

Newman is literally the only of the sixteen original Chase drivers who hasn't finished 1st or 2nd this year. I don't see what's so special about that.

Heading into the 36th and final race of the season. Your points leader has zero wins, four top 5's, and 51 laps led. Let that sink in for a minute.

You're right. Gordon wrecked into himself at Texas, and those other guys wrecked themselves at Talladega, it's all their fault, nobody else to blame :rolleyes:

What can I tell you that I haven't told you many many many times tonight. **** happens, this is nothing new. **** happened with the old formats too, those drivers still had chances to get themselves clinched, and they failed.

What can I tell you that I haven't told you many many many times tonight. sh!t happens, this is nothing new. sh!t happened with the old formats too, those drivers still had chances to get themselves clinched, and they failed.

Ok, when Newman wins the Homestead Cup, you can tell yourself the current Chase format makes sense and he's the deserving champ. SMH

Sorry. Why didn't the other drivers step up and make sure he didn't move forward?
He had two Top 5s in nine Chase races. He was 6th out of the eight Chasers last week and 7th out of eight this week.

I don't think the issue is so much the other drivers not stepping up as it is NASCAR not adequately awarding points for those who do.

So Kez wrecking Gordon means that Newman deserves it more? Yeah, keep believing that.

I hope Hamlin's engine blows next week and Harv and Logano get caught up in a wreck that isn't their fault. Then all the koolaid drinkers can say how Ryan Newman deserves the title the most with his four top 5's and all, because Newman "did his job" and he's the most deserving champion. It's right there on paper!

I could take that. I don't know what you want your champion to be, but I do know who you want it to be.

Sorry Dale Earnhardt, you got wrecked at Talladega, you're not eligible to win the '94 Championship. But Ted Musgrave with his 15th place points position and four top 5's is racing for the title in the last race. Legit.

Sorry Dale Earnhardt, you got wrecked at Talladega, you're not eligible to win the '94 Championship. But Ted Musgrave with his 15th place points position and four top 5's is racing for the title in the last race. Legit.
So......, to sum it up......you're happy with this years Chase.

Why do you think he has to wreck someone to win the race??? Someone should have been in his ear before that last restart telling him 2nd wasn't good enough to get in. He should have raced harder. He didn't, that is on him and his team.

You asked why he didn't win. That's why. Those cars were better at the end of both of those races. The only way to have changed the outcome was to move either of them on the last restarts.

Sorry. Why didn't the other drivers step up and make sure he didn't move forward?

It sounds like they should have stepped down... Taken it easy, and then just drive in on the grass and not hit the brakes in the last corner.

LOL, Nascar basically paved a golden road for the dominant teams, and what happens they **** the bed. This chase was made for the HMSes, JGRs, and Penskes. Sorry they couldn't old their end of the bargin up.

LOL, Nascar basically paved a golden road for the dominant teams, and what happens they sh!t the bed. This chase was made for the HMSes, JGRs, and Penskes. Sorry they couldn't old their end of the bargin up.
Penske, HMS, and Harvick have won all of the Chase races.

You know what guys? I feel pretty good right now. Bummed that the actual elimination took place but also relieved that he didn't win the lottery champion. I feel this year its a big experiment with this and that this year will be the only year where 1 race will determined the championship.

Abit of an asterisk Gordon doesn't have to live with.

Could you imagine all the haters coming out of the woodworks saying how Gordon won a championship in where all he had to do was be ahead of 4 other drivers? If Harvick wins it (I hope he does) he'll have live with the certain stigma of what this format brings. Which would suck since Harvick is only 1 of 2 drivers competing for the championship that actually deserves it, faulty format or not.

Martinsville: He didn't wreck Junior

Phoenix: He didn't wreck Harvick

Shame on him

This sets the table for next year though.

Gordon knows how this is set up now. Carte Blanche on wrecking anyone in your way=win

Most of them too little too late.
Or too early, apparently. Six drivers combined for nine wins and only two came after elimination. Good thing only a minute portion of the schedule matters.

The only driver Newman outperformed this round is Edwards. Gordon, Keselowski, and Kenseth were unfortunate enough to fall victim to a points scale that rewards not finishing poorly more than it does finishing well.

Now you're argueing just to argue.

You're actually faulting Gordon for not advancing. ROFL

Now you're argueing just to argue.

You're actually faulting Gordon for not advancing. ROFL

Yes I am. I am faulting all those who didn't make it. Gordon should have known on that last restart he wasn't in the good. All 8 knew they had 3 races to clinch a spot. Like I mentioned earlier, going into today all 8 hadn't clinched a spot, so how can we say any of them deserved a spot before today?

Or too early, apparently. Six drivers combined for nine wins and only two came after elimination. Good thing only a minute portion of the schedule matters.

The only driver Newman outperformed this round is Edwards. Gordon, Keselowski, and Kenseth were unfortunate enough to fall victim to a points scale that rewards not finishing poorly more than it does finishing well.

Exactly. The fact that 1-5th rewards the same as 25th-30th is a huge huge problem. I can't believe all the overpaid ****ers that came up with it didn't think for a second that it was bull****.

They sacrificed logic for "simplicity". But then they created the most confusing championship format ever. Haha

Last edited:
Yes I am. I am faulting all those who didn't make it. Gordon should have known on that last restart he wasn't in the good. All 8 knew they had 3 races to clinch a spot. Like I mentioned earlier, going into today all 8 hadn't clinched a spot, so how can we say any of them deserved a spot before today?

But he was actually in the good.

At that point what else can you ask? To magically erase 3 seconds off the lead in 1 lap? You're not making a lick of sense here, seriously.

You keep talking about stepping up for some reason when clearly, Gordon did.

Gordon actually took the checkers in a position to move in before Newman bullied his way into 11th.

So I ask you, how is that not stepping up?

As far as your why didn't he win at Martinsville or Texas. I think you can guess why he lost out at Texas.

Martinsville he could have won it if he wanted to. But they dont do gimmes at Hendrick. You earn it, period.

This is not RCR where the owners tell their drivers to spin on purpose (2011 Richmond-Paul Menard spins to help out Harvick win that race) Waltrip plans the worst scheme on earth and Roger buys off other teams.

Dont talk to me about stepping up or failing dude. Get a grip.

But he was actually in the good.

At that point what else can you ask? To magically erase 3 seconds off the lead in 1 lap? You're not making a lick of sense here, seriously.

You keep talking about stepping up for some reason when clearly, Gordon did.

Gordon actually took the checkers in a position to move in before Newman bullied his way into 11th.

So I ask you, how is that not stepping up?

As far as your why didn't he win at Martinsville or Texas. I think you can guess why he lost out at Texas.

Martinsville he could have won it if he wanted to. But they dont do gimmes at Hendrick. You earn it, period.

This is not RCR where the owners tell their drivers to spin on purpose (2011 Richmond-Paul Menard spins to help out Harvick win that race) Waltrip plans the worst scheme on earth and Roger buys off other teams.

Dont talk to me about stepping up or failing dude. Get a grip.

No he wasn't. On the last restart Newman started 2 points in the good, meaning Gordon was out. Newman then got passed by both the 9 and 42. Then the 9 and 42 started to battle and that is how Newman was able to catch back up to the 42. So yeah on the last restart Gordon knew he wasn't in the good, or at least he should have.

So if some clown accidentally wrecks Hamlin's TRD Toyota late in the race today, he doesn't advance. Should he be punished for someone else's mistake? Something that was completely beyond his control?

Unfortunately we can't ask Davey Allison about how he lost the championship in '92 when he plowed into Earnie Irvan's car at Atlanta during the last race of the season but the kind of stuff you're talking about has actually been around for a while.

Unfortunately we can't ask Davey Allison about how he lost the championship in '92 when he plowed into Earnie Irvan's car at Atlanta during the last race of the season but the kind of stuff you're talking about has actually been around for a while.

That Day in Atlanta is what NASCAR has been trying to emulate for 10 years and I'm ****** sick of it. It was a timeless classic, they need to let it be.

Let me throw this out there..

Why didn't Gordon stay out to at least lead one lap? He could have save himself alot of grievance by staying out one extra lap to lead 1. I mean, he ran most of the race in the top 5 so he wasn't so far back to lead one by staying out. I mean, even Annett led one lap. LOL

Yeah baby! Anyone else liking what they're seeing? I'm rooting for anyone other than Hamlin.

I'm ok with it but rooting only for Hamlin.

It would be funny to see Newman win it with a 12th place finish at Homestead, however :)

I'm ok with it but rooting only for Hamlin.

It would be funny to see Newman win it with a 12th place finish at Homestead, however :)
A Newman win seems like it would make the day for a lot of board members. Chase hate seems to be running rampant around here. Some seem to be taking their drivers ousting particularly hard.

Back
Top Bottom