Old Chase threads

A Newman win seems like it would make the day for a lot of board members. Chase hate seems to be running rampant around here. Some seem to be taking their drivers ousting particularly hard.

I would hope so. Nascar fans can be a very passionate bunch.

I'm not too happy about my driver not making the next round but in reality, never actually expected him to make it this far as he hasn't exactly burned the place down this year. Had he won 4, 5 or even 6 races, I'd be pretty pissed - as I was last year after this Phoenix race :mad:

Time for some coffee, I believe. LOL

As for the Chase, I can see both sides of that debate and don't see either bunch capitulating.

I would hope so. Nascar fans can be a very passionate bunch.

I'm not too happy about my driver not making the next round but in reality, never actually expected him to make it this far as he hasn't exactly burned the place down this year. Had he won 4, 5 or even 6 races, I'd be pretty pissed - as I was last year after this Phoenix race :mad:

Time for some coffee, I believe. LOL
Third cup here. I'm up to 80 words a minute. :D

Mine didn't make it either. I'm thinking of creating another Points Thread today where I can somehow crown Dale Earnhardt Jr the 2014 Champ with one race remaining. Problem is, no matter how I do the math he's still coming up short. :mad:

Third cup here. I'm up to 80 words a minute. :D

Mine didn't make it either. I'm thinking of creating another Points Thread today where I can somehow crown Dale Earnhardt Jr the 2014 Champ with one race remaining. Problem is, no matter how I do the math he's still coming up short. :mad:

Make your coffee Irish ;)

My favorite part of threads like this is where everyone pretends the driver and crew chiefs make the exact same decisions in a completely different points format.

:confused: You mean like trying to win? Most of them got in on points , but it was almost too close to call . If that was the intention , then four crews were wrong this week and should have been racing to win.

Is this supposed to be the measure of the season? Betcha the '07 Patriots wanted that.
Yall will never learn that racing is not comparable to football or any other stick & ball sport.

You keep talking about stepping up for some reason when clearly, Gordon did.

Gordon actually took the checkers in a position to move in before Newman bullied his way into 11th.

So I ask you, how is that not stepping up?

Exactly. Gordon put himself where he needed to be to advance. When Gordon crossed the line, he was in. He cant control the cars behind him. Newman couldnt pass Larson without wrecking him so he wrecked him. Then, Gordon was out.

Let me throw this out there..

Why didn't Gordon stay out to at least lead one lap? He could have save himself alot of grievance by staying out one extra lap to lead 1. I mean, he ran most of the race in the top 5 so he wasn't so far back to lead one by staying out. I mean, even Annett led one lap. LOL
I woke up wondering the same thing. I bet Alan got 0 sleep and wont for a long time.

Some of you cry whiners just don't understand what a playoff system is. Google it.
Troll post.

I haven't cared for the title in a long time. I know who the best driver was this season, next week doesn't change that. I will cringe if Newman wins the thing but Harvick or Logano? Those two guys would deserve the chip' more than most this season..

In the end, its a meaningless trophy.

Exactly. The fact that 1-5th rewards the same as 25th-30th is a huge huge problem. I can't believe all the overpaid ****ers that came up with it didn't think for a second that it was bull****.

They sacrificed logic for "simplicity". But then they created the most confusing championship format ever. Haha

+ one million, but that's a whole nother issue. I still can't believe the points difference between 2nd and 3rd is the same as 11th and 12th, or 38th and 39th. Another thing they screwed up when they ditched the weighted points system.

Unfortunately we can't ask Davey Allison about how he lost the championship in '92 when he plowed into Earnie Irvan's car at Atlanta during the last race of the season but the kind of stuff you're talking about has actually been around for a while.

I know it has, that's racing. But that wasn't the manufactured drama we're now seeing every other week. Allison was a legit title contender going into Atlanta, no question about it.

Some of you cry whiners just don't understand what a playoff system is. Google it, little babies.

Oh say word? This is a legit playoff system? I wasn't aware that only four cars are entered in the race next week, since, ya know, the other 39 have been eliminated from the "playoff" system. GTFO.

The tie is a lot funnier when actually printed. Lmao. "Fuggit! 5000 points!"
A lot of people like to say "but this is just like stick and ball playoffs", but here's one place where it's very different. In other sports' playoffs, you keep your seeding all through the playoffs. In NASCAR, everybody left gets reset to a tie after races 3, 6, and 9. In other sports the seeding is kept through home field advantage. Since there is no such thing in NASCAR, the bonus points need to carry from round to round instead of being scrapped after Dover. That little tweak would have given us a Harvick, Logano, Gordon, Keseloswki final four, all of whom had at least 4 wins this year.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems to me that a driver that has been leading the points up until the start of the chase, and was never out of the top five in points all year, has no shot at the championship. This chase garbage is not about who had the best year, it's about getting people to watch races when it's football season. France has to understand that racing is not a playoff sport. I have heard some say that drivers that aren't in the chase, shouldn't be in the races with the chasers. How exciting would it be with only four cars in the race next week. You think that idea is far fetched? Not any more far fetched than this chase scheme was at the end of last year.

Where the heck was Hamlin when this format was announced before the season began?
Probably didn't want to get fined for bad mouthing the format.

Also, when did Hamlin win a race this year? I thought he was winless.
I'm pretty sure that Kes and Hamlin were the first two drivers to openly express their support for the new Chase format on the Tweeter.

I wonder how teams will prepare and race next year since they have a year of this format under their belt?

Okay so we've got Jeff winning his 7th on the left... another chase protest on the right... fake points in a few different spots, and as usual everyone arguing everywhere else in between.

... Let's try to dial it back a bit and come back to reality for a second here.

Who do you think will win the 2014 Sprint Cup Championship?

Not who do you think should have, would have, or could have if they drove differently under other rules or bla bla bla and all that malarkey .... of the final 4 that actually exist before us right now... who wins it?

My prediction should be obvious.... whats yours?

PushRodV8 said:
I'll tell ya who is going to win it all...... Either Harvick, Logano, Hamlin or Newman.

image-2654318453.jpg

I have seen so many of these old format threads that I am even more confused than I was about the newest chase. Kinda glad this crap will disappear when the season is over. One can hope anyway.

harv has had the best cars week in week out IMHO of the contenders.
Hope he wins the cup

I think Harvick will.

I'd like to see the underdog Newman take the win and Championship.

I'd be happy to see Logano win.

Hamlin..... Not interested in seeing that. I'd find that every but as exciting as a Johnson Championship.

The championship isn't meaningless if its going into the record books of NASCAR history. IMO I hope Newman wins and France just rethinks what monster he created this year, I look back in retrospect and say I like the idea. The actual concept is a good idea, but the actual execution of this renewed chase concept has me like... "I guess I'm wrong." as exciting as this season has been, I will definately watch and always will.

Kenseth won the 2003 chip with one win and it wasn't under the chase format. I don't know, I really try to stay away from the politics.

This championship isn't useless, but it damn sure will have a question mark. Also, what makes it more fun for me is that we will see new blood raise the trophy this year. To see any of them would be great to see and honestly the irony that Newman won 8 races 2003 and has a chance to win with none makes me laugh. IMO I would have liked to see Brad win a second trophy... Just sayin'.

I'm predicting Harvick to do exactly what he did yesterday.
Its not about what uve done before now.. exactly.. chase or not.... the 22 team has been better overall and for that reason I expect them to do better then the 4.
Joey's team choked last night. Nobody is perfect. He had enough time to recover on the track but you better hope they dont screw up again too late at Homestead.

I'm predicting Harvick to do exactly what he did yesterday.

Joey's team choked last night. Nobody is perfect. He had enough time to recover on the track but you better hope they dont screw up again too late at Homestead.
Choked? I disagree... had some bad luck.. came back in championship form to finish 6th... maybe lost 2-3 spots to where he would have finished.

..and Harvick cant do that anywhere but Phoenix and we all know it. Penske has had the best 1.5 mile program all season.

For all you Chase lovers that wanna compare it to stick and ball....they have a 7-game series in baseball, basketball, and hockey to determine who wins each series. Think about that for a minute. The brackets are set up the way they are because it makes the most sense to determine which teams get to advance. The best team doesn't always win, but nobody gets cheated because the teams that deserve to win the most are rewarded appropriately.

But Nascar isn't stick and ball, so it's a moot point. This isn't a head-to-head between two teams. The fact that auto racing would try to use a playoff is a joke in itself. Even worse, the way Nascar's Chase system is set up this year, you might as well throw darts at a board to determine our champion. If this current format is ok with you, then you aren't a true racing fan, simple as that.

Don't try to make sense of the whole thing. No matter how you slice it, no playoff system makes sense. I agree nascar having a playoff system makes less sense than most, but they aren't designed to make MORE sense than a season long champion.

Back
Top Bottom