SILLY SEASON 2018

Good to hear.

Go Fas has been pretty good in the hand of DiBendetto and they are getting a lot of attention with lucrative sponsors.

No brainer here, I hope they continue to get deeper into the top 25. They even grabbed their first two top tens as an organization, good stuff.

DiBenedetto is very under-rated in my opinion. He's strapped into slow cars for much of his career, and MdB still has put in some fine, quiet but quick performances. The spring Bristol race of '16 comes to mind.

If he gets his hands on a fast car, watch out!

Still looking

Stewart-Haas Racing co-owner Gene Haas said the organization is still looking for sponsors for Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick next year. Haas: "We fully expect to have Kurt Busch back in the 41. It's just a matter of negotiating with the sponsor and getting all the details worked out as far as money amounts. I know it causes a lot of anxiety." On Danica Patrick, Haas said: "I still think she has a lot of value. If a sponsor wants to sell product, she's great at that."
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0688416909091149964-4

That gets and keeps her in a ride. what is so strange about that? Pretty much the whole industry revolves around corporate help in funding.

Still looking

Stewart-Haas Racing co-owner Gene Haas said the organization is still looking for sponsors for Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick next year. Haas: "We fully expect to have Kurt Busch back in the 41. It's just a matter of negotiating with the sponsor and getting all the details worked out as far as money amounts. I know it causes a lot of anxiety." On Danica Patrick, Haas said: "I still think she has a lot of value. If a sponsor wants to sell product, she's great at that."
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0688416909091149964-4

What Gene really said was "We want Kurt back but we have to decide if it is worth taking substantially less dollars to make it happen and Danica Patrick won't be part of SHR next year."

What Gene really said was "We want Kurt back but we have to decide if it is worth taking substantially less dollars to make it happen and Danica Patrick won't be part of SHR next year."

I do think it's going to be a three car operation next year. Just because the Ford money seems so significant and was originally contingent on four cars. Two cars just doesn't make sense even without additional sponsorship.

That gets and keeps her in a ride. what is so strange about that? Pretty much the whole industry revolves around corporate help in funding.

What is funny is that he didn't say "She has shown a ton of improvement this year and is a valuable team member to SHR and we hope to have her back in the 10 car next year." Essentially Gene said "She can't drive a car but she can sell ****."

I don't think it would be difficult for Dodge to return. Penske still has the engines and data for the cars. They are going to use the same platform as everyone else, just a matter of getting a new body accepted and fitted to to the platform. Toyota did it and within 4 months they have their cars balanced and running fast again. Chevy will go through the same process next season which will force Ford to redesign their front clip. The engine and front clip is pretty well all any manufacturer can work with. The new nose for Toyota gives them a slight advantage in brake cooling, something like the Ford design of their engine gave them an advantage in engine cooling. Advantages last only a short time as everyone works to overcome it.
Another manufacturer of course is going to negotiate some brief advantage to help level the field even if only for a short time.
Chevy has 2 engine builders
Ford has 1
Dodge could still buy from Penske
Toyota are all TDR
New kid on the block could be up and running in a short period of time once they analyze all 4 engines in use. After all every engine has the same parts.

I still believe that RCR will likely switch in the next few years. Be it to Dodge or someone else, they have nothing to lose by switching from Chevrolet. They will never be anything more than a #2 Chevy team, and right now they are #3 behind Hendrick and CGR. If you could become a #1 factory team, why wouldn't you?

RCR is a dream organization for a new manufacturer. They build everything in house, have a presence in all 3 national series, and have satellite operations across those series to sell cars/parts to. The RCR to Dodge rumors persist, and I think there is enough smoke to prove there is at least a little fire behind it.

Last edited:
Gene Haas doesn’t believe Kurt Busch is going anywhere.
“I’m 99.9-percent positive he’ll be driving the No. 41 car,” Haas said. “It’s just an economic deal, where we’re not exactly sure what Monster wants to do. I guess you could say it’s a buyer’s market right now in terms of advertising on a race car.

“They want great deals — and that makes it difficult. Very difficult.”

Danica:
“Our current prospects, we’re going to see if we can’t find a sponsor for Danica,” Haas said. “That really will kind of determine the future of that car. A couple of years ago, Nature’s Bakery signed on — and it was a good contract. It made it all work out. We’re kind of in the same position again.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/gene-haas-kurt-busch-shr-2018-941119/

Gene, Gene, Gene! Sponsors are not looking for good deals they just don't want to throw stupid money at something that negates any ROI. My guess is the hold up with the 41 revolves around what Monster wants to do with Nascar. Are they pleased with being the title sponsor and want to exercise their options for more years or are they displeased and want to beat feet from the series entirely and write it off as a learning experience?

It doesn't sound promising for Danica or the 10 team given the current sponsor climate and I doubt Gene would be willing to field a car for her on the Velveeta plan as it would not be cost effective.

It doesn't sound promising for Danica or the 10 team given the current sponsor climate and I doubt Gene would be willing to field a car for her on the Velveeta plan as it would not be cost effective.

That Velveeta deal with 31 really bothers you doesn't it. Seen you reference it a bunch.

That is what ya do, throw B.S.on a post that says an owner who is 99.9% sure Kurt will be back next year. Velveeta.

I said that I doubted Gene would be willing to do a Velveeta deal with the 10 car and DP as the driver. It had nothing to do with Kurt being back in the 41. You need to get me back on ignore, Hoss!

The Velveeta deal with RCR has zero impact on me but it does have a negative impact for the series overall.

How so, I get they give less money but they've also been on the car a bit since coming on. Just don't see how a new sponsor to the sport is something negative.

Here is another question mark answered from the Haas camp. Its about racing also not cheese

Does Haas anticipate putting Custer in a Cup car any time soon?

“It all comes down to performance,” Haas said. “If he wants to move up to a Cup ride, he has to perform. That’s not really up to me. That’s up to him.”

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/gene-haas-kurt-busch-shr-2018-941119/

Here is another question mark answered from the Haas camp. Its about racing also not cheese

“It all comes down to performance,” Haas said. “If he wants to move up to a Cup ride, he has to perform. That’s not really up to me. That’s up to him.”

Good answer and I don't think he's performed enough to be called up.

How so, I get they give less money but they've also been on the car a bit since coming on. Just don't see how a new sponsor to the sport is something negative.

Before I answer let me ask your this. Do you feel that Monster signing on to be the title sponsor for Nascar at a deeply discounted figure had any negative impact on the series?

He has to be able to attract a sponsor for the dollars Gene thinks a sponsorship is worth. No sponsor no ride.

Before I answer let me ask your this. Do you feel that Monster signing on to be the title sponsor for Nascar at a deeply discounted figure had any negative impact on the series?

I don't think it's negative no. Is the money less and cause of some adjusting yeah but nothing negative.

I don't think it's negative no. Is the money less and cause of some adjusting yeah but nothing negative.

I can see where you are coming from as in many cases taking something is far better than nothing. Sometimes it is wiser to wait things out instead of taking the first thing that comes along because taking a lower amount tends to set the market. Sponsorship has been a problem for a few years but was really exacerbated when Monster signed on to be title sponsor 8 months ago for a relatively low amount. Even at the steep discount Monster is undecided about continuing to sponsor the series and/or the 41 car and it will be disastrous if they pull out of the series quickly. In hindsight it probably would have been better for Nascar to pass on Monster and go with no title sponsor until things stabilized.

With respect to Velveeta how do you think it impacts other sponsors? Why would a large company want to sponsor the #1 car for 250K per race when they can get the #31 for half that amount? If one of your buddies had a really cool car and you wanted something similar would you pay twice as much for it?

I can see where you are coming from as in many cases taking something is far better than nothing. Sometimes it is wiser to wait things out instead of taking the first thing that comes along because taking a lower amount tends to set the market. Sponsorship has been a problem for a few years but was really exacerbated when Monster signed on to be title sponsor 8 months ago for a relatively low amount. Even at the steep discount Monster is undecided about continuing to sponsor the series and/or the 41 car and it will be disastrous if they pull out of the series quickly. In hindsight it probably would have been better for Nascar to pass on Monster and go with no title sponsor until things stabilized.

With respect to Velveeta how do you think it impacts other sponsors? Why would a large company want to sponsor the #1 car for 250K per race when they can get the #31 for half that amount? If one of your buddies had a really cool car and you wanted something similar would you pay twice as much for it?
I don't think NASCAR signed Monster just based on the money they offered, but the show and excitement they hoped they would bring back to the sport. Except for prerace activities for the fans at the track to take in, I don't see any difference but that's what I feel they were going for.

I don't think NASCAR signed Monster just based on the money they offered, but the show and excitement they hoped they would bring back to the sport. Except for prerace activities for the fans at the track to take in, I don't see any difference but that's what I feel they were going for.
Don't confuse people with the facts like that Snowman.:D

With respect to Velveeta how do you think it impacts other sponsors? Why would a large company want to sponsor the #1 car for 250K per race when they can get the #31 for half that amount?

That's part of the game. I'm sure RCR is happy with the Velveeta deal or he probably wouldn't have made it. The Monster deal is concerning and I hope they resign as they are a great title sponsor in my opinion.

I also believe NASCAR got way to good of a deal from Sprint(Nextel). While it brought alot of money on it was very unrealistic that they would get another deal like that one. I actually think less money will be good for the series and smaller teams are able to fond sponsorship easier with the bigger teams having the problems which with their recourses they should be able to overcome.

I agree 100% percent as one of the trade offs for taking the smaller dollar amount was supposed to be introducing young hipsters among others to the series but so far I don't see where the needle has been moved at all. Maybe Monster didn't have enough time to implement a plan or perhaps Nascar is just not a good fit for its brand but whatever the reasons it isn't working out.

Don't confuse people with the facts like that Snowman.:D

Hopefully Monster is happy with their involvement in Nascar and will re-up but have you seen any appreciable positive differences for them, Nascar or the fans since they signed on?

Sure would like to see any information in writing from a reputable source about the Cheese deal carp or it's effect on anything.

That's part of the game. I'm sure RCR is happy with the Velveeta deal or he probably wouldn't have made it. The Monster deal is concerning and I hope they resign as they are a great title sponsor in my opinion.

I also believe NASCAR got way to good of a deal from Sprint(Nextel). While it brought alot of money on it was very unrealistic that they would get another deal like that one. I actually think less money will be good for the series and smaller teams are able to fond sponsorship easier with the bigger teams having the problems which with their recourses they should be able to overcome.

I agree that once all this shakes out that Nascar could become a far more enjoyable series to watch especially if it concentrates more on the actual racing as opposed to stop gaps and gimmicks. IMO less money for Nascar means more freedom.

Sure would like to see any information in writing from a reputable source about the Cheese deal carp or it's effect on anything.

@Allenbaba reported the dollar amount with Velveeta but I know you have butted heads with him on various subjects and have indicated you are in disagreement with them. I believe him as he has been right about a lot of things and has no ax to grind with anyone over any subject.

You definitely don't need anything in writing to state what taking a lower dollar amount for something entails as it is just common sense. If your neighbor goes out and buys a tractor for 50K I would assume you wouldn't rush out to pay 100K for the same item.

I agree 100% percent as one of the trade offs for taking the smaller dollar amount was supposed to be introducing young hipsters among others to the series but so far I don't see where the needle has been moved at all. Maybe Monster didn't have enough time to implement a plan or perhaps Nascar is just not a good fit for its brand but whatever the reasons it isn't working out.
I think they're a better fit as a title sponsor then Sprint was but bringing in more fans wasn't in the cards from the get go IMO. The best stock car drivers competing in NASCAR's premier series brought to you by Sprint might as well have been brought to you by Bounty paper towels and napkins.

When Monster walks away, with the dollars going down, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the beer companies would step up to the plate. They would be a terrific fit I think. Like the craftsman now camping world truck series, both title sponsors were home runs and Monster is at least the beginning of that return in Cup I believe.

Cigarettes and Mobile phones. Those were two big industries for their time as sponsor. They had the cash.
I think Monster energy drink is here at the right time. Energy drinks are heavily into motorsports so it makes sense.

I still think NASCAR is still "right sizing" itself.

Pretty sure Danica will be ready for a new chapter in her life after this season. Still holding out, crazy things have and can happen.
My guess is, designing more clothes, coming up with more recipes, being a fitness guru and becoming a wife and mom are in her near future.
It will be time to support Stenhouse full time in his efforts.

I think they're a better fit as a title sponsor then Sprint was but bringing in more fans wasn't in the cards from the get go IMO. The best stock car drivers competing in NASCAR's premier series brought to you by Sprint might as well have been brought to you by Bounty paper towels and napkins.

When Monster walks away, with the dollars going down, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the beer companies would step up to the plate. They would be a terrific fit I think. Like the craftsman now camping world truck series, both title sponsors were home runs and Monster is at least the beginning of that return in Cup I believe.

With the beer companies cutting back IDK how interested they would be in the whole enchilada but I like the idea. A foreign (Chinese) company looking to make inroads with blue collar America may want to become involved as the title sponsor as the Chinese have a lot of money and it could be a win win for everyone.

Cigarettes and Mobile phones. Those were two big industries for their time as sponsor. They had the cash.
I think Monster energy drink is here at the right time. Energy drinks are heavily into motorsports so it makes sense.

I still think NASCAR is still "right sizing" itself.

Pretty sure Danica will be ready for a new chapter in her life after this season. Still holding out, crazy things have and can happen.
My guess is, designing more clothes, coming up with more recipes, being a fitness guru and becoming a wife and mom are in her near future.
It will be time to support Stenhouse full time in his efforts.

I thought I read somewhere that DP didn't want kids but I can't be sure of it.

Back
Top Bottom