SILLY SEASON 2018

I didn't know he won the whole thing racing in K&N also. .

Byron has only been driving stock cars about five years, and briefly drove Late Models for JR Motorsports before he was picked up by Kyle Busch Motorsports to compete full-time in 2016 in Trucks. He also won the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East title in 2015, winning four times that season.

He won seven times last season as a Truck Series rookie, a NASCAR national series record, but it was almost one year ago this week HMS surprisingly announced it had signed Byron to a multi-year contract.

He won seven times last season as a Truck Series rookie, a NASCAR national series record, but it was almost one year ago this week HMS surprisingly announced it had signed Byron to a multi-year contract.

It is probably almost one year ago when the plan to put him in the 5 car was finalized. I'm surprised it took this long to announce. I figured they would announce Bowman and Byron together as the future of HMS.

It's exciting to think Byron could be in the #5 in 2018... I hope he continues his success. Such a fun movement going on if he joins in and could win races in cup.

Byron to the 5 is a surprise to me. Ive been wrong before.

Congrats to him. He's got a lot to learn & some cars to wreck.

Byron has run 43 races in the last two years and has only three crashes, and one of them was a restrictor plate track. That was what impressed me was his car control and being able to stay out of trouble. That could change in cup, but with only two years full time in Nascar that is impressive.

I can't believe none of us figured out Byron was going to the 5, he has been giving us signals all year :p
upload_2017-8-9_0-3-1.jpeg

I don't think Hendrick/Jr have ever been developers of talent in Xfinity. almost all of their drivers are seasoned drivers with long term sponsors. Hendrick said one time laughingly about developing talent no we tried that must have wrecked like 50 cars.

I don't think Hendrick/Jr have ever been developers of talent in Xfinity. almost all of their drivers are seasoned drivers with long term sponsors. Hendrick said one time laughingly about developing talent no we tried that must have wrecked like 50 cars.
Hendrick and JRM are playing it smart, find a guy that's great in trucks, offer a full time Xfinity ride to the guy that has to wait to go higher because JGR/Toyota has more young talent then they know what to do with. Just pick your favorite one and he'll jump at the opportunity.

Just a year ago we were talking about how bad JRM as been in developing drivers for Hendrick, they get Byron back from JGR and boom

I really think Jr had alot to with Byron driving for KBM. He was driving late models for Jr before and Jr knew his truck program wasn't going to be good enough for Byron so he let Kyle have him for a year. Might be wrong but that's just my thoughts on the matter.

Possible "Top" Open rides

77 FRR Toyota-needs sponsorship
41 SHR Ford-needs sponsorship
27 RCR Chevy-needs sponsorship
2 cars? GMS racing Chevy -Toyota?(rumored)

Drivers
Matt Kenseth
Kurt Busch
Kasey Kahne

I really think Jr had alot to with Byron driving for KBM. He was driving late models for Jr before and Jr knew his truck program wasn't going to be good enough for Byron so he let Kyle have him for a year. Might be wrong but that's just my thoughts on the matter.

here is what was said about signing with Hendrick to drive in the Xfinity

Although it appeared Byron was part of the Toyota driver development pipeline and had expected to move up the ladder, the driver was offered a different perspective once he sat down with Hendrick.
“Mr. Hendrick gave me a call a few weeks ago and wanted to sit down and talk about putting something together,” Byron said. “When he proposed the plan to me about what he wanted to do, I couldn’t be happier. It stuck right away.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-t...endrick-it-s-really-a-dream-come-true-808000/

Truex, Almirola (Well, he was a JGR driver and was dropped), Whitt (underrated), Keselowski, Elliott (Last minute deal), and now Byron and Bowman.

Thats not bad IMHO.

Hendrick said he’s made more than a few miss-assessments with young drivers, but he’s certain this was the right guy at the right time.

"Trust me, I have been a tremendous failure at driver development. One year we wrecked 50-some (vehicles), and that was enough for me," Hendrick said. "But none of those (prospects) had the experience or the success that William has."

Although it appeared Byron was part of the Toyota driver development pipeline and had expected to move up the ladder, the driver was offered a different perspective once he sat down with Hendrick.

Not sure he was ever part of the Driver Development program. With Junior, then Junior didn't have a Truck program, then back with Chevy. Toyota liked him, but I think everybody knew what was going to happen. Didn't hurt that he brought big sponsorship. I know that this is a Lee Spencer story, and she never missed though.....LOL

Not sure he was ever part of the Driver Development program. With Junior, then Junior didn't have a Truck program, then back with Chevy. Toyota liked him, but I think everybody knew what was going to happen. Didn't hurt that he brought big sponsorship. I know that this is a Lee Spencer story, and she never missed though.....LOL
If you can look beyond the direct quotes from the driver. :confused:

maybe Rea White's reporting and Hendrick's direct quotes are more made up stuff too.

“I just remember more than anything that day back at JRM when he came up, how polished and kind of persuasive or determined (he was) to get in the car in our organization,” Hendrick said.
He watched Byron racing and then met him and his dad. He said he was impressed first with the person, then with his racing.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/...-dale-earnhardt-jr/1c9oj19974lln1kyvtshruto80

It's a tweet, could be true :idunno:

Hendrick and JRM are playing it smart, find a guy that's great in trucks, offer a full time Xfinity ride to the guy that has to wait to go higher because JGR/Toyota has more young talent then they know what to do with. Just pick your favorite one and he'll jump at the opportunity.
Cherry picking talent is certainly one way to do it. But while it might seem like Toyota often gets "screwed" because they develop more guys than they have Xfinity & Cup seats for, their robust NCWTS program is just as much about selling a Tundra as it is developing a kid. The truck market is a historically domestically dominated market, and yet Toyota has a hard time keeping up with the Tundra demand. They will openly give the NCWTS program a lot of that credit.

Cherry picking talent is certainly one way to do it. But while it might seem like Toyota often gets "screwed" because they develop more guys than they have Xfinity & Cup seats for, their robust NCWTS program is just as much about selling a Tundra as it is developing a kid. The truck market is a historically domestically dominated market, and yet Toyota has a hard time keeping up with the Tundra demand. They will openly give the NCWTS program a lot of that credit.
got a long way to go to match the Ford F 150 sales numbers, the Tundra is a distant 4th like 90 thousand to 429 thousand. Ford only has a couple of factory trucks Kez's, in the series.

got a long way to go to match the Ford F 150 sales numbers, the Tundra is a distant 4th like 90 thousand to 429 thousand. Ford only has a couple of factory trucks Kez's, in the series.
I don't think the Tundra will ever match the historic truck leaders, but I'm not sure that's their goal. They basically sell every Tundra they make - that's good enough for them...

I don't think the Tundra will ever match the historic truck leaders, but I'm not sure that's their goal. They basically sell every Tundra they make - that's good enough for them...

They sell every Tundra they make without having to discount the hell out of them to municipalities and fleets either so it is is extremely profitable. If someone wants a good dependable light duty truck you can't go wrong with a Tundra and I appreciate mine in all seasons but it really shines in the snow and ice.

If Toyota's frames didn't melt it would help

I have had 2 Tundras with no frame issues. If Ford, Dodge and Chev could build trucks that didn't rust, didn't have gas engines that sound like diesels on cold startups not to mention piston slapping, tranny issues and crappy build quality they would likely sell even more trucks.

Toyota frame rust settlement could cost the company $3.4 billion
Replacing rusty frames is an expensive, time consuming and labor intensive job

As many as 225,000 steel frames under Toyota Tacoma and Tundra pickups and Sequoia SUVs may need to be replaced, says a lawyer who helped settle a class-action lawsuit against Toyota over the frames' potential for rusting. That was awhile back but I would never buy one of them.
http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/toyota-frame-settlement-could-cost-company-34-billion

Toyota frame rust settlement could cost the company $3.4 billion
Replacing rusty frames is an expensive, time consuming and labor intensive job

As many as 225,000 steel frames under Toyota Tacoma and Tundra pickups and Sequoia SUVs may need to be replaced, says a lawyer who helped settle a class-action lawsuit against Toyota over the frames' potential for rusting. That was awhile back but I would never buy one of them.
http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/toyota-frame-settlement-could-cost-company-34-billion

Beyond that, Toyota trucks are just way behind the competition.

I'm hoping for a two car team. Gallagher can run in the back and take out his fellow back markers and they get a good shoe for the other car.
That is probably what is going to happen.

I didn't know this and was wondering when Hendrick signed Byron why he wasn't trying him out in a 5th cup car like he did with Chase Elliott. That doesn't sit right with me.

Back
Top Bottom