SILLY SEASON 2018

I believe Chip said something about a new sponsor to cup when the Target announcement was made, sounds about right, good a guess as any

Raise kids and hang out? Yikes. NBC Sports on Matt Kenseth:

Asked if he had any plans for 2018 on Friday at Bristol Motor Speedway, Kenseth said: “No, not at the moment. When I do I’ll tweet something. Like on a Monday or something. No plans right now. Just raise kids and hang out with my family."

"I’m not worried about (2018) even really one percent anymore to be honest with you. I’m just not concerned about it. I’m really concerned about 2017 and that’s the truth. I mean we’ve got 13 races or something left. Three to try to get into … the playoffs. We’re not in there yet."

Interesting comments from the head of TRD today. Sounds like he'd love for Matt to stay with Toyota. Who knows maybe Visser can lock down some sponsorship at the #77 and Matt can drive for him. Matt's a reasonable guy .. he knows the current climate and would more than likely take a pay cut to stay in the game for a few more years. Need sponsors!

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/08/18/matt-kenseth-joe-gibbs-racing-2018-plans/

Interesting comments from the head of TRD today. Sounds like he'd love for Matt to stay with Toyota. Who knows maybe Visser can lock down some sponsorship at the #77 and Matt can drive for him. Matt's a reasonable guy .. he knows the current climate and would more than likely take a pay cut to stay in the game for a few more years. Need sponsors!

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/08/18/matt-kenseth-joe-gibbs-racing-2018-plans/
According to Allenbaba, Toyota has used their leverage as an auto manufacturer to line up B2B sponsorship deals with various vendors, and used these to support their young development drivers in Kyle Busch Motorsports trucks.

One of the hottest young guns right now is Christopher Bell, and I believe he is under contract to Toyota. Toyota might need that 77 team in 2019 for Bell, IMO. It seems costly and inefficient to start up the 77 team in 2017 for Jones; shut it down in 2018 for lack of sponsorship; and then start up again in 2019 for Bell. But that might be what happens.

I agree that David Wilson's comments about Kenseth were provocative and interesting...

“Matt isn’t just a championship caliber driver,” David Wilson, president of Toyota Racing Development (TRD), told NASCAR.com Friday. “He has done as much for the team off the track as he’s done on the track; he’s the leader.

“I still remember his first season with Joe Gibbs Racing and Toyota in 2013 and him walking into the first competition meeting and calling out one of our drivers because he was five minutes late.

“With Matt you are never quite sure whether he’s just having a go at you or if he’s serious. But ultimately what we learned is he takes the sport very seriously. His presence, his maturity – not his age per se – has been great for Joe Gibbs Racing and for the partnerships that JGR has with Furniture Row now.”

Toyota officials would like to see Kenseth continue to compete for the automaker, but it’s not a situation the company controls. Currently the OEM’s involvement in the MENCS extends to JGR and its four teams and the two-team Furniture Row operation.

“This notion, why doesn’t Toyota just step in? I wish we could,” Wilson said. “I wish it were that easy. The reality is it’s not. It is a microcosm of what’s going on with the sport as a whole.

“We do provide a tremendous amount of support to the teams and to the drivers but we can’t carry a driver on our back at this level of the sport. That would just not be appropriate and we’re just not capable.

“For drivers at this level, obviously those decisions are made by team owners and as a partner we’re a party to them but there’s only so much we can do.”

:) Just for @lisa ...

Dave Pericak, director of Ford Performance, made it pretty clear that Ford expects Busch to be driving ones its racecars and not one of its competitors. He added he isn’t worried about the ongoing contract situation between Busch and SHR.

“We have every intention of keeping Kurt and putting him in a Ford next year and years to come,” Pericak told Kickin’ the Tires. “I know people want to read into it, they want to have all kinds of rumors and whatnot. All I can say is we want him in the car, we are working it out. I am sure we’ll get it done.”

Pericak said Ford is no stranger to contract negotiations between drivers, teams and sponsors so this doesn’t phase him. However, he does believe the sport is going through a “reset” of sorts and the money aspect is changing.

“I think the situation in the sport is interesting right now because I think there is a bit of a reset going on,” he said. “All you are seeing right now, is we are working things out."
(Link)

Now that WBR has Menards on their car, I'm sure Ford has some money freed up to help keep Kurt with SHR.

:) Just for @lisa ...

Dave Pericak, director of Ford Performance, made it pretty clear that Ford expects Busch to be driving ones its racecars and not one of its competitors. He added he isn’t worried about the ongoing contract situation between Busch and SHR.

“We have every intention of keeping Kurt and putting him in a Ford next year and years to come,” Pericak told Kickin’ the Tires. “I know people want to read into it, they want to have all kinds of rumors and whatnot. All I can say is we want him in the car, we are working it out. I am sure we’ll get it done.”

Pericak said Ford is no stranger to contract negotiations between drivers, teams and sponsors so this doesn’t phase him. However, he does believe the sport is going through a “reset” of sorts and the money aspect is changing.

“I think the situation in the sport is interesting right now because I think there is a bit of a reset going on,” he said. “All you are seeing right now, is we are working things out."
(Link)

Maybe I can finally get off the couch and put my cold cloth away. Whew

Chase Briscoe appears headed to the NASCAR Xfinity Series in 2018

“Chase has done a great job in the BKR trucks in 2017 and we are fully committed to his continued development and progression in NASCAR,” Ford Performance Global Director Dave Pericak told Motorsport.com in a statement.

“We have already been active in working with our Ford teams to place him into the right Xfinity program for 2018, but right now we want his focus to be on winning races and competing in the playoffs for a championship in the Camping World Truck Series.”

The most likely Ford Xfinity options for 2018 are likely to be with Roush Fenway Racing or Stewart-Haas Racing.
https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-xs/news/nascar-chase-briscoe-xfinity-2018-942731/

Yeah, hopefully not Roush. If Bubba is any indication young guys should stay away from RFR. The fact that Penske isn't an option is sad in my opinion, Not a fan of Ford at all but I like that they are doing something with driver development.

If true, it says a lot about the future of Roush. Buescher was the best driver they had. Letting him walk to another team, and a Chevy one at that, can't be good for business.
Ty Majeski is the best driver Roush has and rumors are he may be leaving Roush for JRM

It sounds like Penske is going to move Cindric up, which is why Briscoe is headed somewhere else. I wish they could keep both

And here lies the problem with cuppers in xfinty. Penske runs what 2 or 3 xfinity cars with 0 up and coming talent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got to keep a smile on Discount Tires executive faces.

I honestly feel briscoe could do so. Kid is a hell of a driver. Please don't let him go the route of bubba and end up with a dying RFR team.

And here lies the problem with cuppers in xfinty. Penske runs what 2 or 3 xfinity cars with 0 up and coming talent?

This is mainly Discount Tire wanting the cuppers, Penske wanted the 12 full time in NXS this year, but couldn't get anything done

Adem Stern reports that RPM and Smithfield may be nearing an extension. Also mention possibility of the 43 team moving to Chevy with Bubba as the driver in 2018. Not sure where this leaves Almirola at

If Dodge is still courting RCR, the move of RPM to a technical alliance with RCR might be a piece of the puzzle for Dodge to return in '19 or '20.

@Allenbaba was it still quiet on the silly season talk this weekend?
Honestly, it's getting much harder to post "rumors" here, even when I know the source is credible, because things are always subject to change. I've seen too many things that were 99% certain to happen (and not just hearsay...things I was directly involved in) end up not happening at the last minute (for God knows how many reasons). And I don't need the Reddit folks seeing something that was clearly worded in the "this might happen" or "this is currently being discussed" language and turning it into the "this WILL happen" language, and then force people to answer questions about it.

Having said that, I've heard a lot about the 43 - everything from "they're selling" to "they're merging with RCR" to "they're going to put a 2nd car on the track" so who knows. What I can tell you with 100% certainty, they are definitely trying to find funding for Bubba. What I can also tell you...again with certainty...they are not the only group trying to find funding for Bubba. So your guess is as good as mine how it ultimately plays out.

Having said that, I've heard a lot about the 43 - everything from "they're selling" to "they're merging with RCR" to "they're going to put a 2nd car on the track" so who knows. What I can tell you with 100% certainty, they are definitely trying to find funding for Bubba. What I can also tell you...again with certainty...they are not the only group trying to find funding for Bubba. So your guess is as good as mine how it ultimately plays out.

Recently Bubba has been a one man promo machine for Dominos & Coca Cola online. Do you know if he is courting them or has a PSC with either one?

And I don't need the Reddit folks seeing something that was clearly worded in the "this might happen" or "this is currently being discussed" language and turning it into the "this WILL happen" language, and then force people to answer questions about it.

I figured this would end up happening. You hit one out of the park with Edwards before the season, and people are quick to spread the things you're hearing as fact now.

I hope people remember that when spreading things to reddit, and remember that it's possible to run a very good source off from this forum. Don't bite the hand that feeds, as the saying goes.

Allenbaba .. Kenseth still in limbo? Sounded this past weekend like he might be preparing himself for early retirement.

Back
Top Bottom