SILLY SEASON 2018

Big names, big teams at forefront of NASCAR's Silly Season chatter

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...lowski-matt-kenseth-kurt-busch-danica-patrick

In terms of drivers HMS has no worries as it can put a kid in the 88 and the 5 if it wishes or if better options become available (Kenseth, Edwards, Kurt Busch) use them instead. They may just leave Kahne in the 5 car for 1 more year until Byron is ready to go. (I am only speaking of driver issues not sponsor issues)

I suspect both Blaney and Jones will be told what they are doing and will have no say in the matter. Danica Patrick is done unless she wants to drive a Jeffrey Earnhardt type ride and Toyota will either dictate or strongly suggest what will happen between JGR and FR.

As far a BKez goes it is hard to imagine Penske letting him go unless proper sponsorship with proper dollars can't be found. One problem for all team owners is the low dollar amount that RCR sold primary sponsorship rights to Velveeta for. If Velveeta can be primary on a car for 175K then how would you justify asking another sponsor for twice that amount? The #2 car would be more valuable than the #31 car but how much more?

I love all the Homer Simpson moments Nascar and its teams create for themselves as they are the king of unintended consequences

This article just reaffirms how big of a mess this Silly Season is.

It reminds me of musical chairs which we used to play as kids because when the music stops there won't be a place for a millionaire driver to sit down and the music may start and stop a couple of times.

Personally I think IF Danica would win at this point in her career it would be so short lived that it wouldn't even matter. Her peak has came and gone she's just simply old news. She's not a cash cow anymore.

I agree.. it would be a low dollar, mix and match, week to week, skin of her teeth Michael McDowell kind of year. lol

Mikey Mix and Match: My Start and Park Hero

Michael McDowell: From Starting at the Bottom, To Parking his way to the Top.

Wasn't aware that Chris Buescher didn't have a solid ride for 2018, I'd like to see what he could do in top tier equipment

Yeah this JTG ride is supposed to be a one year deal. He is still a RFR driver. He is suppose to come back after this year.

There's a performance clause to meet in order to maintain a charter. Unless that changes, S&P isn't going to happen.
Very true however 3-5 owners forming an agreement to help each other
to cut costs could help negate that. Two cars bend fenders on the track and they don't make the 5 min. clock getting back to speed and voila, your parked.

Very true however 3-5 owners forming an agreement to help each other
to cut costs could help negate that. Two cars bend fenders on the track and they don't make the 5 min. clock getting back to speed and voila, your parked.

Wreck the car so they can start and park? Negates the purpose of start and park.

Everyone talks about sponsorships,how about the manufacturers.They set a new record in May,record incentives they gave out to move new vehicles.The Ford dealership where my Fusion gets serviced,they're parking new vehicles at a closed KMart as the new vehicle lot is full.This isn't sustainable,but I was surprised at a new F150 in the showroom that was listed for over $60,000.I had to do a double take at that sticker and the sign proclaiming 96 month financing available,crazy people out there.I would ride a bicycle first.

Sponsorship is drying up at current prices but there has to be a tipping point at which it's sustainable. It may just require teams to run cheaper operations. For example instead of hiring former college athletes as pit crew just use personnel already on the payroll. There are teams running on smaller budgets, right now they aren't competitive but if everyone is on a $5 million team instead of a $20 million team you still have good racing.

Wreck the car so they can start and park? Negates the purpose of start and park.
S&P was done because the teams didn't have the money to even run long enough to change a set of tires and to keep the car in tact for another start.
If a small fender bender/wheel alignment can keep the car parked at a cost $1000., your still dollars ahead of that first tire change and the car lives to race again. Next week it is your opponents turn to park and it all evens out for the back markers.

S&P was done because the teams didn't have the money to even run long enough to change a set of tires and to keep the car in tact for another start.
If a small fender bender/wheel alignment can keep the car parked at a cost $1000., your still dollars ahead of that first tire change and the car lives to race again. Next week it is your opponents turn to park and it all evens out for the back markers.

Yeah I doubt that happens. A small fender bender can turn into a big wreck real fast in NASCAR. Teams woukdnt take that kind of a risk and intentionally wreck their car.

Everyone talks about sponsorships,how about the manufacturers.They set a new record in May,record incentives they gave out to move new vehicles.The Ford dealership where my Fusion gets serviced,they're parking new vehicles at a closed KMart as the new vehicle lot is full.This isn't sustainable,but I was surprised at a new F150 in the showroom that was listed for over $60,000.I had to do a double take at that sticker and the sign proclaiming 96 month financing available,crazy people out there.I would ride a bicycle first.
96 month financing? yikes! I can't see paying that kind of money for an F150 unless it is a Raptor and even then that's a lot!

96 month financing has you guys worked up? Ha! I work at a new car dealership on the parts/service side. The NC State Employees Credit Union will finance for 10 years. 120 months. I see it done quite often. 72 months is the industry standard now, not 60 like it was for years. Imagine paying on a vehicle for 10 years. I hope you like it, because it's going to be very hard to get out from under it.

Also, $60k is fairly common for a truck these days. We recently sold a Ram 1500 that come in at almost $73,000, and it was missing a few options that would have pushed it over $76,000.

Vehicles have gone up in price, but our money isn't worth what it used to be either.

96 month financing has you guys worked up? Ha! I work at a new car dealership on the parts/service side. The NC State Employees Credit Union will finance for 10 years. 120 months. I see it done quite often. 72 months is the industry standard now, not 60 like it was for years. Imagine paying on a vehicle for 10 years. I hope you like it, because it's going to be very hard to get out from under it.

Also, $60k is common for a truck. We recently sold a Ram 1500 that come in at almost $73,000, and it was missing a few options that would have pushed it over $76,000.

With no money down you would be so buried in your vehicle you would need a fleet of backhoes to reach you.

With no money down you would be so buried in your vehicle you would need a fleet of backhoes to reach you.

Recenly saw a younger couple trade, somehow, on a vehicle they were $25k upside down in. They are likely paying $50k for a $25k used truck for 10 years. Short of winning the lottery or coming into money, I can't imagine how you would ever get out of that hole.

Ain't that the truth. IDK how 25K in negative equity was eaten but it sounds ugly.

Recenly saw a younger couple trade, somehow, on a vehicle they were $25k upside down in. They are likely paying $50k for a $25k used truck for 10 years. Short of winning the lottery or coming into money, I can't imagine how you would ever get out of that hole.

I used to sell cars back in the 80's. About one in 10 that could buy a car could actually afford the car, the rest were one payment from disaster. That isn't counting the hoard of the ones who were buried in their trade already. I don't think it has changed..what a sucker deal, instead of driving hoopties that are paid off, they trot down to a dealership and bury themselves in a new car with payments and insurance debt for 5, 6, 8 years. Seems to still be popular.

According to /r/NASCAR, HMS is courting Brad through a JRM tweet, a TBT (Throwback Thursday, for the older folks) post commemorating Brad's 2009 Iowa win in the #88.

You learn something new every day...

I used to sell cars back in the 80's. About one in 10 that could buy a car could actually afford the car, the rest were one payment from disaster. That isn't counting the hoard of the ones who were buried in their trade already. I don't think it has changed..what a sucker deal, instead of driving hoopties that are paid off, they trot down to a dealership and bury themselves in a new car with payments and insurance debt for 5, 6, 8 years. Seems to still be popular.
and thats why I bought a 10 year old car for cash. Low miles should get another 4-5 years out of it. No payments and low ins.

I think the chance of Brad leaving Penske is less than 1% and that's being generous.

I think the ONLY way BK would humor leaving Penske is if Hendrick offered to fund his truck team, or at the very least guarantee sponsorship so it doesn't lose money hand over fist the way the team is now. And I simply cannot see that happening.

According to /r/NASCAR, HMS is courting Brad through a JRM tweet, a TBT (Throwback Thursday, for the older folks) post commemorating Brad's 2009 Iowa win in the #88.

You learn something new every day...

Nothing wrong with letting a prospective driver know there is room at the Inn......:)

and thats why I bought a 10 year old car for cash. Low miles should get another 4-5 years out of it. No payments and low ins.

I drive a lot of miles in a year so I always keep an older higher mileage vehicle around as it doesn't make sense for me to take a newer model and accelerate the depreciation. So far I have done this with a Maxima, Altima and now and Avalon and it has worked out well for me as providing you have the service history and continue to maintain the vehicle you should be fine.

It's ok bring I'll probably get some hate for starting this thread in June but Silly season looks to be heating up....

Possible free agents

1 Mcmurray....predict stays
2 Keselowski hope he stays HMS only option
5 Kahne things could change here
10 Almirola/Stenhouse/Buescher/defunct some many options doubt Danica though.
12 Blaney if they expand
13 open if if Menard leaves RCR
17 Stenhouse or Buescher
20 Kenseth or Jones
21 Blaney or bubba so many variables
27 Ty or Paul
43 Aric????
77 Jones or matt???
88 Bowman??? BK???/ Blaney???

Obviously it's early but some of us love Silly Season so let it begin.
Larson to 10 is major rumor

I even posted it in bold large lettering too. :D:p:rolleyes::idunno: Ganassi himself saying it..oh well, tomorrow it will be Larson to the 5 or some such bull sheet.

I'd never but a new truck, currently I'm looking at Dodge 2500 diesels and a good used one with about 100k on it will run you 25k depending on the goodies installed. 60k for an F 150 is insane!

I even posted it in bold large lettering too. :D:p:rolleyes::idunno: Ganassi himself saying it..oh well, tomorrow it will be Larson to the 5 or some such bull sheet.

Gotta take in to account he quoted the original post and most likely has not seen the article you posted that just came out.

Back
Top Bottom