SILLY SEASON 2018

I'll never forget Chad Knaus saying how Vickers ran out of talent at Talladegea..... I think if Brian's health remained well, he would have latched onto a team and been a Title threat ( a guy that wins 1-2 races maybe 3 a year and goes deep into the playoffs. Final 8 to 12 with a shot at the final four)

Brian Vickers won at New Hampshire and Michigan as well. Without his blood clot issues he would likely have won more. I'd hardly include him as an example to make your point.

Brian Vickers had 2 race wins in something like 325 races at 30 years of age so he makes my point exactly. Unless he ended up in the 78 car I doubt he would have done much.

Brian Vickers had 2 race wins in something like 325 races at 30 years of age so he makes my point exactly. Unless he ended up in the 78 car I doubt he would have done much.
Sure I agree with this, who knows how it would have turned out for him, maybe he could have been the Truex at the 78

i still cant get over that magazine calling brian vickers "the greatest non champion in nascar"

Also he had three wins in like a 180 race span, he was really coming along until the blood clots derailed his career
Yea I really think he would have found a team (maybe FRR, RCR or Roush) and stuck with them to have a Ryan Newman like career, a guy that was just always THERE every year.

Also he had three wins in like a 180 race span, he was really coming along until the blood clots derailed his career

I think that is wishful thinking but he is gone for good so we will never know.

Vicker’s win in Loudon a few year ago is a good example of what’s talked about when one compares Stenhouse, Junior’s plate win with most of the top of the field in the garage vs. the ass whippin’ Vickers put on a field still runnin’.

With a couple exceptions, the best were still runnin’ when Vickers won the thing in an MWR Toyota. He just out ran ‘em on that afternoon.

Vickers could drive. He just didn't fit in at Hendrick. He was starting to gel at Red Bull before the blood clots and team owners bailing on NASCAR. Who knows what might have happened with MWR if he didn't get sick again. Brian and Rodney Childers might still be winning races together.

Vickers drove for a start up team (Red Bull) who never did get their act together and left.

Vickers could drive. He just didn't fit in at Hendrick. He was starting to gel at Red Bull before the blood clots and team owners bailing on NASCAR. Who knows what might have happened with MWR if he didn't get sick again. Brian and Rodney Childers might still be winning races together.

Vickers had the same issue that Kyle Busch had, he was an abrasive personality and that doesn't work with Rick. If Ricky were still alive, Vickers might've done better at Hendrick because they were friends and Ricky handpicked Brian for the 25.

Vickers left of his own volition from HMS and had over 300 races in his career to get it done and but he didn't. Speculation can be fun as who knows what would have happened if Tim Richmond had not become ill, Casey Atwood wasn't fed to the wolves and Jeff Purvis had got a decent ride.

It’s been a while but I seem to recall Vickers would (was) be the #1 driver for Red Bull. He’d have never be anything close to that with Hendrick.

It’s been a while but I seem to recall Vickers would (was) be the #1 driver for Red Bull. He’d have never be anything close to that with Hendrick.

Yep. Do you want to be the 3-4 guy with a competent organization that wins races and champs or be the lead dog on a team that can't get out of its own way.

They would be singing Roush praises from the rooftop if he would have hired a couple of drivers who were good at it after Kenseth and Edwards left. Roush has had his head up his A*$ for too long. Ford gave their latest shoe Chase Briscoe to Kez/ Penske

I'm wondering what they have in store for Buescher...loan him out to another team again and give Bayne one more season to show more improvements? Cut him loose? Do they just sell the third charter entirely?

Ricky Craven at ESPN is proposing a trade of Kasey Kane to Jack Roush for Ricky Stenhouse.That would be kind of like the pro sports where the richest teams end up with the best players,Brian should love that.
Trading sounds like an interesting concept but I'd imagine it'd be a lot harder to do when you have to get sponsors and probably OEMs on board.

I'm wondering what they have in store for Buescher...loan him out to another team again and give Bayne one more season to show more improvements? Cut him loose? Do they just sell the third charter entirely?

I'm curious too. I really like Buescher and would love to see what he can do with a better team.

With the Vickers talk that happened I like to throw in my two cents. Had he not had problems and landed on the right team for him he could be someone. Maybe not either who knows. Some people don't click with one team, and then click with another. Not fair to judge from either side on what he could or couldn't have done.

With the Vickers talk that happened I like to throw in my two cents. Had he not had problems and landed on the right team for him he could be someone. Maybe not either who knows. Some people don't click with one team, and then click with another. Not fair to judge from either side on what he could or couldn't have done.
I am one that thinks he would have been a driver finishing in the top 15 every race. There is no doubt in my mind that he could get the most from his car. Had he gone to JGR or Penske he would have had many more wins.
It is to bad the blood clots finished his career.

I am one that thinks he would have been a driver finishing in the top 15 every race. There is no doubt in my mind that he could get the most from his car. Had he gone to JGR or Penske he would have had many more wins.
It is to bad the blood clots finished his career.

Won the last race for MWR as well back at NH in '13, Brian was a solid journeyman driver and I feel the same way. He would be at a solid team and would make a great addition, just his health problems.

LMAO at Skoalbandit, who is so intent on smearing Stenhouse that he compares him to Martin Truex... the guy that's shown Nascar how it's done for three years consecutively driving Chevrolets and Toyotas. LOL.

In Vickers's defense, everyone thought that Toyota was going to come in and dominate right off the bat.

Except Toyota. Mr. France told Lee White that it would be okay if Toyota won, but only by this much (one inch between thumb and finger). Lee White took that very seriously. He never thought that they would dominate right away. In fact, the charge from Japan was simply to participate. Integrate into the sport. Respect the series. They all believed that wins would come in time, but never, ever did they wish to dominate. Look at David Wilson today....Last year, when everybody was blabbing about Toyota domination, he said that it was just a matter of time before everybody caught up. They did, and what is lost in all of this in 2017 is that Toyota had to get better to just keep up. I am enjoying this season. Tremendous work by TRD to have their guys in the game.

I still remember Jack Roush's paranoia over Toyota before they came in.

I always respected where Jack was coming from, and to this day, he is one of my favorite characters in NASCAR. He was close with Lee White, and quite a rivalry was developing between the two before Lee's retirement. Great stuff.

For sure as Toyota really floundered until JGR came on board.

Not really. JGR came to TRD for help after they signed with Toyota. Fontana, 2011... Joey blows up, and Coach goes to Costa Mesa with Lee White to observe the tear down. At that time, Coach made the decision to have TRD build their engines (many forget that JGR built their own until 2012). All was coming along nicely until TRD started popping motors in 2013. Lee left, David took over, and tuned the motors down for reliability. It wasn't until Chicago, 2014 when Kyle was screaming about the motor over the radio. Everybody thought that he was pissed. He wasn't. He was jacked. He had the motor he wanted. The rest is history. The point--there were very rough times with TRD and JGR, and I would suspect (particularly in 2013) Coach made it clear that either things got better, or he would be looking. Thank God things got better.

The irony of him losing Matt and Carl to Toyota is interesting.

Karma.

Currently without a ride for next season. Not sure if he'll land somewhere or just retire, I wouldn't rule out either.

Wow. Hard to believe a driver of Kenseth's caliber would simply be out of a ride.

Currently without a ride for next season. Not sure if he'll land somewhere or just retire, I wouldn't rule out either.

Thanks for the info .. I think it's looking kind of bleak. I wouldn't be surprised to see him re-up with JGR and the #20, or move over to the #77. If that doesn't work out he's probably done for ... can't imagine he wants to bother racing with a subpar organization. I know Matt's been tied to the #5 and the #88, but why would you put a 45 year old Kenseth in the car when there are a couple of good young options available?

LMAO at Skoalbandit, who is so intent on smearing Stenhouse that he compares him to Martin Truex... the guy that's shown Nascar how it's done for three years consecutively driving Chevrolets and Toyotas. LOL.

I looked back as far as page 8 and didn't see where I had compared Stenhouse to Truex so it either means the post was deleted, I didn't see it, I never said it or you are having comprehension problems again.

I did say that "Brian Vickers had 2 race wins in something like 325 races at 30 years of age so he makes my point exactly. Unless he ended up in the 78 car I doubt he would have done much."

I don't see anything wrong with what I said as prior to joining the 78 Truex was going nowhere and since joining has been effective despite leaving a lot on the table. Vickers didn't accomplish much during his cup career but would have benefited greatly from being in the 78 car don't you think? Regardless, what have I said that is wrong?

I can get into enough trouble on my own without others putting words in my mouth so perhaps responding to me directly where my post is shown in your response would make better sense. Anyway if you can locate my post where I smeared Stenhouse by comparing him to Marty I would appreciate it. If the post doesn't exist an explanation of how you arrived at what I said would be appreciated.

Thanks for the info .. I think it's looking kind of bleak. I wouldn't be surprised to see him re-up with JGR and the #20, or move over to the #77. If that doesn't work out he's probably done for ... can't imagine he wants to bother racing with a subpar organization. I know Matt's been tied to the #5 and the #88, but why would you put a 45 year old Kenseth in the car when there are a couple of good young options available?

Erik Jones in the 20 for 2018 and beyond.

Crazy to see Matt having trouble finding a ride and ultimately saying screw it and retire. I really thought he would be one of the last one's to race into his 50's successfully. I also wanted to say it's interesting seeing what's going on with the 88,5 and Hendrick. I wouldnt be shocked to see if the 88 (with Nationwide) is run part time for Jr ( I really think he will race the Clash, a Daytona race, Talladega race, Richmond, Bristol or Martinsville with others thrown in) and the #5 going to Bowman or Byron. Just my speculation on what I read on here and Twitter.

Back
Top Bottom