SILLY SEASON 2019

Can’t see Kurt leaving SHR for Chip. That would be a downgrade. Obviously he’d be an upgrade from McMurray in the 1.

Either way it seems like a stop gap. JHN should be the future there but he needs more time.
With John Hunter Nemechek driving the Ganassi 42 in some Xfinity races this year, many people jump to the conclusion that Chip Ganassi has long term plans for JHN in Ganassi's Cup lineup...

Wait, not so fast. Today Dave Burns commented on NBCSN that Ross Chastain's upcoming three-race stint in the 42 arose because Nemechek's check didn't arrive as promised. This may indicate that Chip's relationship with John Hunter is based on finances rather than perceived talent.

What I’m really curious about is the Furniture Row Racing situation and perhaps @Allenbaba can provide some much appreciated insight.

For years, Barney Visser was very willing to run that team out of his own pocket. In fact, it was discussed how previously he didn’t want piece meal sponsorship and he liked having his brand on the hood. Why has that changed so dramatically now? Is he unwilling or financially incapable of reverting to their older business model? Has his health played a role in him possibly selling out?

It’s a sad state of affairs and reflection of the dire situation NASCAR finds itself in currently. To even think that a championship organization could be shut down within a year or 2 of winning because of losing a main sponsor is absurd, yet here we are.

I’m certainly hoping FRR doesn’t leave, the sport needs more people like Visser.

With John Hunter Nemechek driving the Ganassi 42 in some Xfinity races this year, many people jump to the conclusion that Chip Ganassi has long term plans for JHN in Ganassi's Cup lineup...

Wait, not so fast. Today Dave Burns commented on NBCSN that Ross Chastain's upcoming three-race stint in the 42 arose because Nemechek's check didn't arrive as promised. This may indicate that Chip's relationship with John Hunter is based on finances rather than perceived talent.

Good info there. Thanks.
Basically, Nemecheks check was a Meme-a-check.

JHN has the talent. Probably Fire Alarm Services or something not ponying up the money.

What I’m really curious about is the Furniture Row Racing situation and perhaps @Allenbaba can provide some much appreciated insight.

For years, Barney Visser was very willing to run that team out of his own pocket. In fact, it was discussed how previously he didn’t want piece meal sponsorship and he liked having his brand on the hood. Why has that changed so dramatically now? Is he unwilling or financially incapable of reverting to their older business model? Has his health played a role in him possibly selling out?

It’s a sad state of affairs and reflection of the dire situation NASCAR finds itself in currently. To even think that a championship organization could be shut down within a year or 2 of winning because of losing a main sponsor is absurd, yet here we are.

I’m certainly hoping FRR doesn’t leave, the sport needs more people like Visser.

If I had to guess as far as self sponsorship goes....ROI.

I don't think he's in a position to spend a lot of FR money on the race team anymore. A lot has changed in the last several years, the day to day running of the company, their business model, the marketing allocations that come with it, etc... To be honest, the ROI never made sense for them in the first place - when you look at the FR markets, and match it up with the NASCAR markets, it wouldn't seem like a very smart media spend. But, it was as much a hobby as it was a marketing spend, so it was ok. Two things have changed since those years 1) his role in the company - his children have a much more active role, so he defers to them more. And 2) every single NASCAR fan now knows that Furniture Row exists, and is a Furniture option. That probably wasn't the case even 5 years ago, it just wasn't as top of mind as it is today. So in that sense, the marketing spend seems even more gratuitous. It's like they're a brand recognition victim of their own success.

John Hunter Nemechek is gonna be a champion some day. The car owner who finally gets their head out their ass and gives him a shot will reap the benefits. JMO of course.

I know many may not agree, but I think he could be a great driver for Roush.

Roush needs new blood after losing Buescher to JTG. Not the best cars and their current prospects, no offense to Majeski/Briscoe/Cindric, but JHN really could catapult Roush down the line. JHN is a project, but his potential and upside are great. Bring back the 6 with JHN, but I wonder if Fire Alarm will even back him enough?

John Hunter Nemechek is gonna be a champion some day. The car owner who finally gets their head out their ass and gives him a shot will reap the benefits. JMO of course.

I think John Hunter should be looking at trying to stay at Ganassi in NXS and then in the 1 car if that's their goal down the line. Maybe one day people will stop crapping on him for his Mosport move.

I'm not sure if the 60 car is anything to gauge talent on. Briscoe looks like he's had the best results out of the 3.

Last edited:
I don't think he's in a position to spend a lot of FR money on the race team anymore. A lot has changed in the last several years, the day to day running of the company, their business model, the marketing allocations that come with it, etc... To be honest, the ROI never made sense for them in the first place - when you look at the FR markets, and match it up with the NASCAR markets, it wouldn't seem like a very smart media spend. But, it was as much a hobby as it was a marketing spend, so it was ok. Two things have changed since those years 1) his role in the company - his children have a much more active role, so he defers to them more. And 2) every single NASCAR fan now knows that Furniture Row exists, and is a Furniture option. That probably wasn't the case even 5 years ago, it just wasn't as top of mind as it is today. So in that sense, the marketing spend seems even more gratuitous. It's like they're a brand recognition victim of their own success.

Thanks for the insight @Allenbaba...still the #1 insider on here, we all appreciate the candour

I know many may not agree, but I think he could be a great driver for Roush.

Roush needs new blood after losing Buescher to JTG. Not the best cars and their current prospects, no offense to Majeski/Briscoe/Cindric, but JHN really could catapult Roush down the line. JHN is a project, but his potential and upside are great. Bring back the 6 with JHN, but I wonder if Fire Alarm will even back him enough?
I don't really see Roush becoming a top team again. I 'd love to be proven wrong, but I'd rather see them downsize to a one-car team.

I think John Hunter should be looking at trying to stay at Ganassi in NXS and then in the 1 car if that's their goal down the line.
Agreed, he should go for one or two full Xfinity seasons with Ganassi and then move up to the #1 Cup car. Most important is he doesn't get rushed to Cup. He's been great in that family-owned #8 Truck this year and did well in the #42 too.
However, he could also be the replacement for Johnson in the 48 in 2021.

I don't really see Roush becoming a top team again. I 'd love to be proven wrong, but I'd rather see them downsize to a one-car team.

Agreed, he should go for one or two full Xfinity seasons with Ganassi and then move up to the #1 Cup car. Most important is he doesn't get rushed to Cup. He's been great in that family-owned #8 Truck this year and did well in the #42 too.
However, he could also be the replacement for Johnson in the 48 in 2021.

Apparently the reason Chastain will be driving the 42 car instead of JHN is because the checks didn't clear and well if that's the case he may be done at Ganassi. Everyone wants to always s*** on Roush. But nobody has done more for talent development over the years then they have until recently with what TRD has done. The difference is that Roush would and has personally financially backed a driver just to see them be successful...i.e. Kurt,Carl,Matt,Greg all had missing sponsors st one point or another and Jack never dumped them Ricky,Trevor,Buescher all had Roush sponsored cars....anyway my point being is that if anyone would give a guy like John Hunter a chance without sponsorship money it would be Roush and clearly not Chip.

@Kiante By the way Cindric and Briscoe are not Roush drivers. Cindric is a Penske driver and Briscoe is Ford driver.

The owners don't have their heads up, they just realize that "some day" isn't 2019.

Roush would be a death trap for JHN. I mean come on, they think Cindric is a good driver

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cindric is a solid all-round wheelman.

He's 19 and honestly he continues to improve week to week. Just has to learn how to cap races off. Yeah, his Dad is a big wig at Penske, but to say he's a bad driver is wrong.

Apparently the reason Chastain will be driving the 42 car instead of JHN is because the checks didn't clear and well if that's the case he may be done at Ganassi. Everyone wants to always s*** on Roush. But nobody has done more for talent development over the years then they have until recently with what TRD has done. The difference is that Roush would and has personally financially backed a driver just to see them be successful...i.e. Kurt,Carl,Matt,Greg all had missing sponsors st one point or another and Jack never dumped them Ricky,Trevor,Buescher all had Roush sponsored cars....anyway my point being is that if anyone would give a guy like John Hunter a chance without sponsorship money it would be Roush and clearly not Chip.
I just don't see it happening. I'd rather see NEMCO moving up with him if there's no other possibility.

How about JR Motorsports?
Sadler will retire, Allgaier could move up to Cup, Reddick has been underperforming all year and ran an unsponsored car at Road America.
Could there be an opportunity for John Hunter?

Out of the young drivers running in NASCAR Cup now, which ones brought money with them?

I just don't see it happening. I'd rather see NEMCO moving up with him if there's no other possibility.

Sadler will retire, Allgaier could move up to Cup, Reddick has been underperforming all year and ran an unsponsored car at Road America.

Algaier isn't moving up and is signed already
Annett is signed
Reddick who knows??
The 4th car will def need full funding i.e. bayne or Gragson

Algaier isn't moving up and is signed already
Didn't sound like that yesterday.
upload_2018-8-27_23-51-14.png

I would LOVE for JHN to get a shot at JRM, but he'd almost certainly have to bring money, and if he had THAT, he'd probably be full time with Ganassi.

It won't be Cup any time soon. Even if the required upgrades were already in place, there's no room on the schedule. The Truck schedule seems to be the most flexible.

Sadly we get more races at Texas X2, Las Vegas X2 (closest track to me, but still), Kansas X2, Michigan X2. :rolleyes:

They should have just totally rebuilt Kentucky into something else instead of redoing the banking.

If they only improve the schedules for the two lower series, does anyone truly care? Honest question.

I do watch those series, more trucks than Xfin, but my true passion and what I really care about is the cup series. If they aren't going to do what needs to be done to enhance the schedule for those guys, then all of this talk is meaningless to me.

If they only improve the schedules for the two lower series, does anyone truly care? Honest question.

I do watch those series, more trucks than Xfin, but my true passion and what I really care about is the cup series. If they aren't going to do what needs to be done to enhance the schedule for those guys, then all of this talk is meaningless to me.

I agree. It's all talk to me. There desperately needs to be less tracks with 2 races.

Last edited:
It won't be Cup any time soon. Even if the required upgrades were already in place, there's no room on the schedule. The Truck schedule seems to be the most flexible.
If Bruton and Marcus are involved, they'd just move one of their dates.

Back
Top Bottom