Silly Season 2020

Reddit and Twitter melting down as if 90’s Jeff Gordon got fired from the 24. It’s Matt Freaking Dibenedetto...like who cares. If The Preacher can keep either Jones or Bell two stud prospects in his camp and this is the way to do it...you make this move 100 times out of 100. No one is going to be upset over it except the teenagers and early 20’s fans who kneel at the altar of the DiBurrito. Give me a break...if true this is a good move for Preacher Joe/JGR//TRD
I care about it. I think a lot of people do. There's more to Nascar for a lot of people than Jeff Freaking Gordon. And I also don't like to see Pious Joe running roughshod over the four-car limit again, as he did in 2017 with the #77.

Reddit and Twitter melting down as if 90’s Jeff Gordon got fired from the 24. It’s Matt Freaking Dibenedetto...like who cares. If The Preacher can keep either Jones or Bell two stud prospects in his camp and this is the way to do it...you make this move 100 times out of 100. No one is going to be upset over it except the teenagers and early 20’s fans who kneel at the altar of the DiBurrito. Give me a break...if true this is a good move for Preacher Joe/JGR//TRD

People like the story of the guy that's largely been given nothing yet still making a go and doing his best with it.

Is Christopher Bell going to be in the 81 at Talladega then?

I don't see them getting him very much experience in cup as of right now. Could be they don't have his cup sponsor locked down and so they can't afford to let him have a poor showing.
"I think" JGR can run him in a fifth car for a limited number of races.

I care about it. I think a lot of people do. There's more to Nascar for a lot of people than Jeff Freaking Gordon. And I also don't like to see Pious Joe running roughshod over the four-car limit again, as he did in 2017 with the #77.
I’m not going to die on the the Dibendetto hill, I personally don’t see the hype around him nor care to...Christopher Bell is 100 times the prospect this guy is. If it meant Matt losing his job to keep Bell in the fold so be it. While I personally don’t care for Preacher Joe or JGR it’s a good move for them imo....stashing him at LFR with even better JGR equipment while waiting for a seat to open at the big team. AND they get to keep Erik Jones who I still think is a stud prospect, sign me up.

People like the story of the guy that's largely been given nothing yet still making a go and doing his best with it.
That’s good for him I guess, I’m excited to see Bell in Cup next year.

That’s good for him I guess, I’m excited to see Bell in Cup next year.

Me too. You need all types though. DiBenedetto is about the closest thing in the field to a blue-collar poor man's hero. He's not there because he's someone's son or grandson. He's not there because he has a gimmick. He's not there because Dad bought him all the best stuff coming up through the ranks. He's not there because he's a factory darling. He's been riding in junk for years. Auto racing has been so far been taken away from being a blue-collar sport in this country when it will always have a blue-collar following. DiBenedetto being successful kind of represents that maybe there's hope.

I don't see them getting him very much experience in cup as of right now. Could be they don't have his cup sponsor locked down and so they can't afford to let him have a poor showing.
"I think" JGR can run him in a fifth car for a limited number of races.

The charter system doesn't allow a 5th car anymore. XCI Racing & Jeffrey just parted ways.

Explain please.

The XCI #81 Cup car was/is scheduled to run both Talladega races, Jeffrey just left the team, so logic would say they'll put Christopher Bell in the car unless they think some random out of field Toyota driver or whatever pops in. Or they put in Brandon Jones.........

The charter system doesn't allow a 5th car anymore. XCI Racing & Jeffrey just parted ways.
I wonder if Jeffrey is now done with Toyota/TRD as well. The Toyota rides he had lined up this year haven’t worked out at all.

Me too. You need all types though. DiBenedetto is about the closest thing in the field to a blue-collar poor man's hero. He's not there because he's someone's son or grandson. He's not there because he has a gimmick. He's not there because Dad bought him all the best stuff coming up through the ranks. He's not there because he's a factory darling. He's been riding in junk for years. Auto racing has been so far been taken away from being a blue-collar sport in this country when it will always have a blue-collar following. DiBenedetto being successful kind of represents that maybe there's hope.
That’s all good and well for Matt....I just don’t get into that sort of thing. Not my cup of tea.

I wonder if Jeffrey is now done with Toyota/TRD as well. The Toyota rides he had lined up this year haven’t worked out at all.

Pretty sure he parted ways totally with Gibbs and anything associated with iK9/XCI. Shame because Jeffrey wasn't the most talented out there, but I enjoyed seeing him race.

If Childress and Leavine field additional cars for Reddick/Jones next year, who would they get the charters from?
I don't think anyone can afford fielding a full-time car without a charter.

This is ridiculous thinking when you consider the context of the state of non-chartered cars. At every race in the series with the exception of the Daytona 500, Reddick should always be one of the 4 best cars without a charter, therefore ensuring entry into the race. If he doesn't, he's really not that good a driver, and his crew chief and car chief should be fired as well.

There were only 40 full entries at both Daytona races, Talladega, Charlotte, and for some reason Kansas. Only the Daytona 500 had DNQ's with 2 of them. Every other race anyone could have entered with a 1991 Chevy Lumina and would've been guaranteed to make the field. Charters are only worth 10 cents if you have something like 45 cars showing up and it's competitive for those 9 cars to get those 4 spots. Even if there were 41 cars showing up at every race, you think an unchartered Childress car with Reddick driving wouldn't beat a Rick Ware unchartered car in qualifying?

This is ridiculous thinking when you consider the context of the state of non-chartered cars. At every race in the series with the exception of the Daytona 500, Reddick should always be one of the 4 best cars without a charter, therefore ensuring entry into the race. If he doesn't, he's really not that good a driver, and his crew chief and car chief should be fired as well.

There were only 40 full entries at both Daytona races, Talladega, Charlotte, and for some reason Kansas. Only the Daytona 500 had DNQ's with 2 of them. Every other race anyone could have entered with a 1991 Chevy Lumina and would've been guaranteed to make the field. Charters are only worth 10 cents if you have something like 45 cars showing up and it's competitive for those 9 cars to get those 4 spots. Even if there were 41 cars showing up at every race, you think an unchartered Childress car with Reddick driving wouldn't beat a Rick Ware unchartered car in qualifying?
Well is Joe Graf Jr driving?

Pretty much the opposite of what you said. Charters are to award the teams that show up every race and run the laps. That was the criteria for how many charters there would be at the start. More "cents" go to the charter teams.

Jeffery, iK9 & Toyota had a falling out it appears.

I was wondering about that - do you have any source or is it just a hunch? My view on it was that the TRD/Gibbs camp needed IK9's seats.

Obviously they parted ways, but to say it was a falling out means that there was some problem. It could have just been the old numbers game.

I Guess I see things 180 degrees differently. To me, Jones has underwhelmed in top notch equipment and Bell has done a good job in beating up the competition in Xfinity in cars that pretty much EVERY driver beats up on them in, and hasn't turned a wheel in a Cup car, so I don't know what that REALLY says about him. On the other hand, Dibenedetto HAS shown that against Cup competition in second rate cars he can hold his own. In my world, that COUNTS for something. If Toyota kicks him to the curb and doesn't help find a soft landing spot for him, then shame on them. They may win the war on the track, but they'll surely lose the PR war.

I would imagine either Custer with some SHR backing will take up Ragan’s ride or a ride buyer like a Brandon Jones.

As for DiBenedetto, it sucks and I like the guy, he has some talent. But unfortunately he doesn’t have the funding to guarantee a ride. He needs to go win Road America in one of the best rides in the series and I imagine somebody will sign him up.

Pretty much the opposite of what you said. Charters are to award the teams that show up every race and run the laps. That was the criteria for how many charters there would be at the start. More "cents" go to the charter teams.

All the while rewarding mediocrity. One of the things I always admired about drag racing. Too slow this week? Better luck next week.

I Guess I see things 180 degrees differently. To me, Jones has underwhelmed in top notch equipment and Bell has done a good job in beating up the competition in Xfinity in cars that pretty much EVERY driver beats up on them in, and hasn't turned a wheel in a Cup car, so I don't know what that REALLY says about him. On the other hand, Dibenedetto HAS shown that against Cup competition in second rate cars he can hold his own. In my world, that COUNTS for something. If Toyota kicks him to the curb and doesn't help find a soft landing spot for him, then shame on them. They may win the war on the track, but they'll surely lose the PR war.
Jones has turned it up a notch this year though, he started off slow, but he has really gotten it together as of late.

Matt D as well and he has done a good job in lesser cars. That's why I think its unfortunate he's losing this ride. I'm not sold on the LFR and JGR relationship this year, but as stated previously, Bell as a coveted Toyota driver is going to get the best of the best come next season. Matt D scored top 10s at BK Racing and Go Fas Racing, that's no easy task.

Road America might give a taste of what to expect next year. Maybe Matt D takes the Xfinity ride or he finds another team in Cup next year? He just needs to continue running well and improving on the intermediate and larger tracks (Michigan and Pocono), he seems to struggle at those tracks.

With any luck and a decent X ride, Burrito could be the next Watermelon Farmer. I'd like to see him in one of Jr's cars. I don't see any reason for him to be loyal to Toyota after this.

I like Custer to FRM with SHR support
2nd choice would be Matt D

Underwhelming? The kid is 23 years old with a Cup win and a Truck Series Championship. He's only been a Cup driver since he was 21! Really? Underwhelming? What did you expect of him when got called up to Cup at this age? A Cup Championship already? Racing is HARD... This kid is a future champion and many time race winner...id bet my house on it. When he does become successful there's going to be many people looking stupid that they took up the case of The Burrito over this kid.

twitter rumors are circulating that FRM and SHR will be merging, has been heard from few people (some within nascar) but imo i cant see that happening

Back
Top Bottom