Silly Season 2020

I was wondering about that - do you have any source or is it just a hunch? My view on it was that the TRD/Gibbs camp needed IK9's seats.

Obviously they parted ways, but to say it was a falling out means that there was some problem. It could have just been the old numbers game.
I kinda thought the same thing. Oh Jeffrey, we are going to put a ringer in the seat for the road course, I know you were scheduled and all, BUT ya know your family, but sponsors blah blah blah, and corporate thought it would be a better fit.

I kinda thought the same thing. Oh Jeffrey, we are going to put a ringer in the seat for the road course, I know you were scheduled and all, BUT ya know your family, but sponsors blah blah blah, and corporate thought it would be a better fit.
*Puts on tin-foil hat*

iK9 will be a primary sponsor of the 95 to some extent next year. Burton will be next up in the 18, Burton has sponsors (Dex Imaging, Hunt Brothers Pizza, etc) Brandon Jones stays and the 19... The 20, I think Matt D takes the 20 if Toyota keeps him in the fold. If Matt D does not, either Gilliland or Ankrum will be expedited to Xfinity.

*Takes off tin-foil hat*

Unless they are making FRM a satellite team that sounds like bs to me

As for Toyota, once Erik and Bell are in cup I think TRD will slow down the development process for a bit. There is no hot shoe that seems ready for Xfinity, I think Burton and Gilliland need another year of trucks. I’d try to bring back Brandon Jones and get a stop gap guy like DiBenedetto in the 20 and see how he does.

Underwhelming? The kid is 23 years old with a Cup win and a Truck Series Championship. He's only been a Cup driver since he was 21! Really? Underwhelming? What did you expect of him when got called up to Cup at this age? A Cup Championship already? Racing is HARD... This kid is a future champion and many time race winner...id bet my house on it. When he does become successful there's going to be many people looking stupid that they took up the case of The Burrito over this kid.

Well, what did anybody expect of Chase Elliott or William Byron? Until the last month, a LOT of people were trying to paint Byron as a bust. I'm sorry, but after driving the fastest equipment in the garage for almost three years, I guess I expect more than a restrictor plate win. I'm not saying the guy is no good, I'm not even saying he's a bust, BUT, if you are going to give me a choice between him, Bell, and Matt D, I don't think the answer is nearly as obvious as you seem to, that's all I'm saying. The fact is Matt will probably never get an even up opportunity to drive the same equipment the other two will get, so it's going to be hard to judge just how good he really is.

Well, what did anybody expect Chase Elliott or William Byron? I'm sorry, but after driving the fastest equipment in the garage for almost three years, I guess I expect more than a restrictor plate win. I'm not saying the guy is no good, I'm not even saying he's a bust, BUT, if you are going to give me a choice between him, Bell, and Matt D, I don't think the answer is nearly as obvious as you seem to, that's all I'm saying.
Crazy, I feel as if its Jones who will eventually breakthrough. Jones is close IMO to getting through to that next level. Byron is a long-term project for sure, if not this year, he will win a race or two next season.

I get where you're coming from, but winning is no easy task. Chase is a rare case to already show his ability, Blaney as well with his wins. The Roval was a bit of timing, but a win is a win. I get it, especially with Truex, Busch, and Hamlin all winning. Jones has not yet, but week by week he's inching closer to winning. Jones was on a small streak of top fives as well, dude really has waken up this year.

Crazy, I feel as if its Jones who will eventually breakthrough. Jones is close IMO to getting through to that next level. Byron is a long-term project for sure, if not this year, he will win a race or two next season.

I get where you're coming from, but winning is no easy task. Chase is a rare case to already show his ability, Blaney as well with his wins. The Roval was a bit of timing, but a win is a win. I get it, especially with Truex, Busch, and Hamlin all winning. Jones has not yet, but week by week he's inching closer to winning. Jones was on a small streak of top fives as well, dude really has waken up this year.
Nailed it. Jones is literally breaking out before our eyes here and all anyone can worry about is a driver that is almost a never was. Erik is going to prove by the end of the year he deserves this 20 ride

Well, what did anybody expect of Chase Elliott or William Byron? Until the last month, a LOT of people were trying to paint Byron as a bust. I'm sorry, but after driving the fastest equipment in the garage for almost three years, I guess I expect more than a restrictor plate win. I'm not saying the guy is no good, I'm not even saying he's a bust, BUT, if you are going to give me a choice between him, Bell, and Matt D, I don't think the answer is nearly as obvious as you seem to, that's all I'm saying. The fact is Matt will probably never get an even up opportunity to drive the same equipment the other two will get, so it's going to be hard to judge just how good he really is.
Fair enough. I would take Bell over the other two but I’d really really have to think about it. It sucks for Matt he didn’t get a chance at top equipment...yet...but isn’t that the breaks in racing let alone life? Maybe Matt will get a shot, like to see him in Ragan’s ride with SHR equipment/alliance but that’s pure speculation on My part

Everybody wants to put a driver in that 20 Gibbs Xfinity car but I really don't think I see sponsorship there so in my opinion Gibbs Xfinity team might only be two cars next year with Jones in the 19 and a mix of drivers in the 18 like always

Nailed it. Jones is literally breaking out before our eyes here and all anyone can worry about is a driver that is almost a never was. Erik is going to prove by the end of the year he deserves this 20 ride
Matt D has never really had a quality ride though. You can't say he was a never was in never really being given an opportunity.

Matt D was a TRD driver and like Aric Almirola was cut before really being given an opprotunity to show what he can do. To sit and say he's a "never been" is a bit off IMO. The thing is, he's had a half a season in a decent car and now he's being shown the door. It's crappy, but its a business and Bell is a priority at this time. Matt D was nothing more than a place-holder from the outset for Bell it seems... Tough, tough business.

I'm nit-picking, but there's no S&P's anymore, even the Rick Ware sh!t boxes have to run most/all the distance.

...unless your talking NXS & Trucks.
Yep, I meant the S&P Xfinity teams
This is ridiculous thinking when you consider the context of the state of non-chartered cars. At every race in the series with the exception of the Daytona 500, Reddick should always be one of the 4 best cars without a charter, therefore ensuring entry into the race. If he doesn't, he's really not that good a driver, and his crew chief and car chief should be fired as well.

There were only 40 full entries at both Daytona races, Talladega, Charlotte, and for some reason Kansas. Only the Daytona 500 had DNQ's with 2 of them. Every other race anyone could have entered with a 1991 Chevy Lumina and would've been guaranteed to make the field. Charters are only worth 10 cents if you have something like 45 cars showing up and it's competitive for those 9 cars to get those 4 spots. Even if there were 41 cars showing up at every race, you think an unchartered Childress car with Reddick driving wouldn't beat a Rick Ware unchartered car in qualifying?
I don't remember where I read it, but non-chartered teams receive less Prize Money than chartered Teams. And apparently the difference is pretty big.

I like David Ragan a lot and I wasn't expecting him to retire that early.
He has my full respect for putting family over racing and I hope we'll still see him at some Daytona/Talladega races in 2020 and beyond.
DiBurrito seems like a logical fit for the #38. A full-time JGR Xfinity ride seems unrealistic since DiBenedetto can't bring sponsorship to the team like Brandon Jones does.

There's no guarantees with any of these guys. In 2015 David Ragan drove the 18 car and did nothing in it while Kyle Busch recuperated then when Kyle got back he went on a tear and won a championship. That said if I was king for a season I'd give Matt D a shot in a quality ride to see if he can or can't. I see a lot of dissing Matt D which I don't think is justified. What would Christopher Bell do in that 95 car right now as is?

Matt, apply at Front Row. A little birdy told me they are looking. Bell, welcome to mid pack racing, Jones, watch your back.

If they give Bell the same cars they gave Truex and Jones when those guys were @ FRR then he won't be in middle of the pack equipment. The support they're giving the 95 team now can't be the same as what they were giving FRR back then.

If they give Bell the same cars they gave Truex and Jones when those guys were @ FRR then he won't be in middle of the pack equipment. The support they're giving the 95 team now can't be the same as what they were giving FRR back then.
You don't think Barney was paying that? Somehow this $upport falls from the sky? Maybe They will come up with some big buck sponsorship, because Leavine isn't as flush as Barney was.

You're probably right, Barney had the money for sure. I bet Joe Gibbs can find a way to make money fall from the sky or go under the table to Leavine though. Or maybe they just let him hang kind of like Bowyer did in 2016 in that #15 five hour energy car when he was waiting in the wings to get to SHR? Bowyer sure was a cry baby when he was in lousy equipment lol.

You're probably right, Barney had the money for sure. I bet Joe Gibbs can find a way to make money fall from the sky or go under the table to Leavine though. Or maybe they just let him hang kind of like Bowyer did in 2016? Bowyer sure was a cry baby when he was in lousy equipment lol.
Yep, as far as I am concerned "they" are going to have to pony up way more money to see Bell in a top 5 ride. Spend till it hurts kind of money. Personally I don't see it happening. Toyota has been scaling back in both the Cup and Xfinity probably the trucks. Car counts aren't what they used to be and they are using drivers who have money behind them..B.Jones in the Xfinities, Burton in the trucks. I could see Burton moving up to the Xfinitiy series, I think he has some of his own sponsorship and not all subs of Toyota on his truck. Rheem who sponsors Bell and Preece might go along with Bell, but the prices goes up for Cup level a bunch.

Barney got great cars from the mother ship, but some seem to think they were free. Presto, free for Leavine. Throw in that full time TRD engineer Barney had for free while they are at it. Ol Joe is a charitable soul. loves to give stuff to guys that beat him. :p

Bell is a highly coveted Toyota driver. I would be surprised if the 95 team doesn't pick up the pace. It might not be FRR, but still.

Wish I’d win a massive lottery prize so I could sponsor a quality cup car with Ross Chastain at the wheel. Matt D has run well, but I think Chastain is the total package (wheels anything, adapts quickly, great personality and story, pure old school driver who relates to everyday fans). Sponsors need more out of their drivers than youth. Byron, Bell, Jones all OK guys, young but wooden personalities. Blah. Bubba Wallace is chock full of personality (too much in many ways) which doesn’t help his long-term prospects. Ross has IT in my opinion....just need a good team and sponsor to agree.

There's no guarantees with any of these guys. In 2015 David Ragan drove the 18 car and did nothing in it while Kyle Busch recuperated then when Kyle got back he went on a tear and won a championship. That said if I was king for a season I'd give Matt D a shot in a quality ride to see if he can or can't. I see a lot of dissing Matt D which I don't think is justified. What would Christopher Bell do in that 95 car right now as is?
Ragan was trash in his JGR/MWR stint. It was extremely underwhelming. I hate to disrespect a guy who is as nice as he seems to be, but he literally just took up the role of being another dude on the grid.

Matt DiBenedetto is different like you say, because he has never been given a shot. He and Christopher Bell would run probably about the same with LFR's current equipment. Head-to-head, I would give the nod to Matt D as he has the experience. Christopher Bell has been privileged enough to run the entirety of his career in top-tier cars, which is the exact opposite of Matt DiBenedetto's case.

Sucks for Matt D, hoping he can land in something half way decent next year, looking forward to seeing Bell in a Cup car next year.

Ross reminds me of Brad Keselowski. Hopefully he can get into the Kaulig Racing car next year.

I wouldn't mind seeing DiBenedetto in the 20 car next year myself.

It takes several years for some to work themselves into a good car. The first requirement IS that they be a good driver. Buesher drove a junk Roush car, didn't exactly jump into a fast car at JTD Daughtery, but he has made a name for himself there and seems to be in a stable decent ride and he keeps it because he is improving. Matt has done the same, but got caught up in the Toyota way of doing things. He didn't have to take that ride, could have stayed where he was. The same driver musical chairs deal was going on then with the Yotas that is going now. They are loaded with drivers and few seats to put them in. He probably will have to go to a lesser team, BUT if he over drives there who knows what could open up in the future.

It takes several years for some to work themselves into a good car. The first requirement IS that they be a good driver. Buesher drove a junk Roush car, didn't exactly jump into a fast car at JTD Daughtery, but he has made a name for himself there and seems to be in a stable decent ride and he keeps it because he is improving. Matt has done the same, but got caught up in the Toyota way of doing things. He didn't have to take that ride, could have stayed where he was. The same driver musical chairs deal was going on then with the Yotas that is going now. They are loaded with drivers and few seats to put them in. He probably will have to go to a lesser team, BUT if he over drives there who knows what could open up in the future.

I didn't realize DiBenedetto is only 28 & has only really been in the Cup Series for 5 years. I think he has time to work his way back into a legitimate ride. I think he's doing a good job as indicated with his performance at some of the "drivers tracks".

*Puts on tin-foil hat*

iK9 will be a primary sponsor of the 95 to some extent next year. Burton will be next up in the 18, Burton has sponsors (Dex Imaging, Hunt Brothers Pizza, etc) Brandon Jones stays and the 19... The 20, I think Matt D takes the 20 if Toyota keeps him in the fold. If Matt D does not, either Gilliland or Ankrum will be expedited to Xfinity.

*Takes off tin-foil hat*

I'll say Harrison or DiBenedetto in the 20, and the 18 stays as an All-Star car featuring some of the Cup guys (Busch, as usual until he gets to 100 wins or whatever) + Riley Herbst + some KBM guys.

Harrison has been decent in the NXS car and in all reality I think he's outperformed Todd in the Truck.

Last edited:
Yep, I meant the S&P Xfinity teams

I don't remember where I read it, but non-chartered teams receive less Prize Money than chartered Teams. And apparently the difference is pretty big.

I was talking from a purely "making and starting in every race" narrative. Finances are yes, there, however no one is willing to share much of anything on the details.

Back
Top Bottom