Silly Season 2020

so if this 95% confirms Bell to the 95, whats happening with the XCI 81 next year? they still going full time? whos the driver?

I feel so damn bad for Matt D.

Dude has had some good runs this year, so hopefully he can find himself a good ride and keep it up.

Sucks to see this happen, but it was bound to occur. I don't think Bob Leavine likes this move as he was a big Matt D fan himself. Just one of the various tweets he liked:

Its a business at the end of the day and Bob had to follow suit for his organization's future. I liked Matt D because of his potential more so than his personality IMO. A shame, but hopefully he can find a ride for next season.

Was there some Gibbs influence here out of fear of losing their boy Bell? Perhaps a threat to Leavine that they'd lose their alliance?

Was there some Gibbs influence here out of fear of losing their boy Bell? Perhaps a threat to Leavine that they'd lose their alliance?
Bell was not going to take another year of an Xfinity ride. Bell is a big part of TRD and they want to keep him. Matt D had to be let go because with all the primary JGR drivers driving at high levels. Hamlin signed an extension, Jones is going to resign, and Kyle Busch is practically untouchable at this point. Only so many Toyota seats to occupy, I wouldn't say a threat as much as much of a need for them. Toyota needs LFR at this point.

As I predicted, Bell to LFR which in turn will be a fully funded 5th JGR car thru LFR and Toyota. Bell will be running the same equipment as Gibbs with all the engineering support currently under Gibbs roof. I do believe Matt D will get the 38 ride if he wants it.

Name one team in the last 15 years that fielded four competitive cars in the same season, all season. When Roush ran five, at least two were always stinkers.

Roush put all five in the Chase in 2005 (in a ten car field). As mentioned, Hendrick in 2012 (twelve car field). JGR put all four in the postseason in 2014, 2015, 2016. SHR put all four in last year.

Roush put all five in the Chase in 2005 (in a ten car field). As mentioned, Hendrick in 2012 (twelve car field). JGR put all four in the postseason in 2014, 2015, 2016. SHR put all four in last year.

Biffle, Martin, Busch, Edwards, and Kenseth might be the best NASCAR team ever assembled. It's a shame that it was only going to last a year. If I remember correctly, McMurray was supposed to take the #6 until Kurt Busch signed with Penske and then Mark just stayed for an extra year.

iam a bell and matt d fan, but this sucks,way to treat family joe dirt.they should have started a second team.hope matt find a good ride away from toy.

Name one team in the last 15 years that fielded four competitive cars in the same season, all season. When Roush ran five, at least two were always stinkers.
If a team has the capability to run them, let them in. Get as many cars in the field as possible. It was solve the problem Gibbs and SHR have.

Wish NASCAR would get rid of the damn four car rule.
I actually think lowering the amount to 2 may be better for the sport. IMO things all started getting worse when teams were allowed to field these maga teams. If you can only put 2 cars on the track per team you'll end up with a lot more owners in the sport. Nascar is in need of new owners as the current ones are aging out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hot off the press rumor. Will this be the landing spot for Christopher Bell or Erik Jones after he’s told he’s family??

Whose idea is this? Freaking retard owner or Jibbs? DiBenedetto was just starting to get his ship righted and now some asshat is going to mess with it? I really think its time to start suing the crap out of these megalomaniac owners who think they are God. Personally, I’d like to right hook old Jibbs and teach him some respect.

Whose idea is this? Freaking retard owner or Jibbs? DiBenedetto was just starting to get his ship righted and now some asshat is going to mess with it? I really think its time to start suing the crap out of these megalomaniac owners who think they are God. Personally, I’d like to right hook old Jibbs and teach him some respect.

I think we know who is calling the shots on these moves, and it's not Joe Gibbs or Mr. Leavine. I wish they would just drop all the pretense and re-name the team TRD NASCAR Division and just make Joe the public relations liaison.

There wasn't one person who wasn't aware of what was going to happen when Bob signed on with JGR and Toyota last fall. Not one.

I think we know who is calling the shots on these moves, and it's not Joe Gibbs or Mr. Leavine. I wish they would just drop all the pretense and re-name the team TRD NASCAR Division and just make Joe the public relations liaison.

Neither Coach nor Mr. Leavine was forced to sign with Toyota. Why do you think they did so?

I understand yall are mad about Matt, I like him too, but when you have the chance to put Bell in the car with his NXS & Truck & dirt results versus Matt, you do it. It's not Todd Gilliland, Harrison Burton, or Natalie Decker we're talking about here.

As I predicted, Bell to LFR which in turn will be a fully funded 5th JGR car thru LFR and Toyota. Bell will be running the same equipment as Gibbs with all the engineering support currently under Gibbs roof. I do believe Matt D will get the 38 ride if he wants it.
I'm pretty sure you're right on the 95 being a full-boat 5th Gibbs car in terms of hardware, software, and personnel. That's what Gibbs did in 2017 when he needed a 5th car... he funded the #77 for Erik Jones. Now he will do the same with the LFR #95... a level of support way, way beyond what LFR is getting this year.

As for who gets the Front Row #38 ride, Matt DiBenedetto seems a logical best choice *if* Front Row is operating an independent race team. However, is it possible Ford could try to place Cole Custer in that ride?? Custer has looked impressive in Xfinity this year.

Jordan Bianchi wrote a few weeks ago that Front Row is looking to upgrade their performance including going after quality free agent driver(s). It is ironic how that objective coincides with David Ragan suddenly wanting to spend more time with his family at home... LOL.

I've also heard Chris Buescher's future at JTGD is not yet assured... pending some sponsorship issues getting resolved. Buescher has definitely outperformed his teammate Ryan Preece, but maybe Preece's contract has another year while Buescher's contract is up this year.

I'm pretty sure you're right on the 95 being a full-boat 5th Gibbs car in terms of hardware, software, and personnel. That's what Gibbs did in 2017 when he needed a 5th car... he funded the #77 for Erik Jones. Now he will do the same with the LFR #95... a level of support way, way beyond what LFR is getting this year.

As for who gets the Front Row #38 ride, Matt DiBenedetto seems a logical best choice *if* Front Row is operating an independent race team. However, is it possible Ford could try to place Cole Custer in that ride?? Custer has looked impressive in Xfinity this year.

Jordan Bianchi wrote a few weeks ago that Front Row is looking to upgrade their performance including going after quality free agent driver(s). It is ironic how that objective coincides with David Ragan suddenly wanting to spend more time with his family at home... LOL.

I've also heard Chris Buescher's future at JTGD is not yet assured... pending some sponsorship issues getting resolved. Buescher has definitely outperformed his teammate Ryan Preece, but maybe Preece's contract has another year while Buescher's contract is up this year.

I get the feeling that JTG is stretching their resources a bit with the limited Kroger money, but hopefully they stick around as a 2 car team.

Neither Coach nor Mr. Leavine was forced to sign with Toyota. Why do you think they did so?

Because they felt it would give them a better chance to win. BUT, there are consequences to making that decision. If you're willing to let somebody else basically run your business, then I guess that's the place for you.

Leavine cashed the checks, so he has no claim to immunity. He chose to go into business with Toyota and let them call the shots, so if people want to hate on him, I say go right ahead.
He made the decision to go in business with the preacher... the preacher will chew him up and spit him out.

LFR will be out of business within the next 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Because they felt it would give them a better chance to win. BUT, there are consequences to making that decision. If you're willing to let somebody else basically run your business, then I guess that's the place for you.

...and in return JGR gets exclusivity in terms of research and development, TRD facilities and tools, etc., and Mr. Leavine gets a team capable of winning. David Wilson openly stated this week on NASCAR Radio that TRD needs JGR, and JGR needs TRD....pretty much like Chevy needs Hendrick, and Hendrick needs Chevy. The big difference is that Chevy writes checks to Hendrick while TRD does the work themselves. TRD recognizes NASCAR as driver driven (Letarte Podcast), and, as such, has decided to go the way of driver development. Mr. Hendrick has openly stated that he prefers to have somebody else develop drivers. Just a different way of doing business IMO.

Leavine cashed the checks, so he has no claim to immunity. He chose to go into business with Toyota and let them call the shots, so if people want to hate on him, I say go right ahead.

People have gotten so stupid that they have made Moody relevant. SMDH.

He made the decision to go in business with the preacher... the preacher will chew him up and spit him out.

LFR will be out of business within the next 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think you are falling behind. The new narrative is that Coach is a victim of the Evil Empire. It would be conceivable that Mr. Leavine would be out of business in 2 years without doing business with JGR and Toyota, so really, Bob is coming out ahead if your theory is true.

I've disagreed with others on this before. I'd rather not see a bunch of cars out there that are just in the way. But opinions will always vary on this.

Well, the midfield in this sport kind of died post-2000. Ganassi and the #43 I think if you go back and look at all the mergers over time, those 3 cars used to be something like 15 to 20. The front of the field is as rich as ever, and the backmarkers have expanded to fill the emptiness.

I don't get all the attention on the Coach/Preacher. He's just a figurehead like what Richard Petty and A.J. Foyt are now. Joe Gibbs Racing has a NASCAR operation and a dirt bike racing operation. Both were ran by his kids. Daddy just helped with getting sponsorship. Since J.D. died, it's probably more a TRD thing.

Since J.D. died, it's probably more a TRD thing.

TRD's business model is different from other manufacturers for sure, and that rubs many the wrong way. TRD partners with JGR while Chevy caters to Hendrick, and Ford is closer to the TRD model than they have been. The concern for some is that it will turn into what open wheel was as the manufacturers drove themselves out of the sport. I don't believe for a second that Toyota would go that route.

...and in return JGR gets exclusivity in terms of research and development, TRD facilities and tools, etc., and Mr. Leavine gets a team capable of winning. David Wilson openly stated this week on NASCAR Radio that TRD needs JGR, and JGR needs TRD....pretty much like Chevy needs Hendrick, and Hendrick needs Chevy. The big difference is that Chevy writes checks to Hendrick while TRD does the work themselves. TRD recognizes NASCAR as driver driven (Letarte Podcast), and, as such, has decided to go the way of driver development. Mr. Hendrick has openly stated that he prefers to have somebody else develop drivers. Just a different way of doing business IMO.

I agree, it's a different way of doing business, and if that works for you, then so be it, BUT if it results in decisions that are unpopular with the fan base, then you have to sit there and take your medicine. TRD is kind of a faceless entity, so Gibbs and Leavine get to take the heat, but they are getting paid to do it. I have no sympathy for either one.

..TRD recognizes NASCAR as driver driven (Letarte Podcast), and, as such, has decided to go the way of driver development. Mr. Hendrick has openly stated that he prefers to have somebody else develop drivers. Just a different way of doing business IMO.

That's an apples to oranges comparison. HMS is not the same as TRD, and despite what he has said, HMS DOES have a driven development program, it's called JR Motorsports. Certainly two, and arguably three of his drivers are graduates of that program. Ironically, Jimmie Johnson is as close to a factory development driver in the TRD mold as Chevrolet has ever really done in NASCAR.

I agree, it's a different way of doing business, and if that works for you, then so be it, BUT if it results in decisions that are unpopular with the fan base, then you have to sit there and take your medicine. TRD is kind of a faceless entity, so Gibbs and Leavine get to take the heat, but they are getting paid to do it. I have no sympathy for either one.

Matt knew what the deal was. He tugged at the heartstrings of the fanbase that loves the underdog. He got a good deal out of the thing, really. I would be willing to bet that the portion of the fanbase you speak of that is upset over this wouldn't root for a Toyota anyway. TRD is only faceless because NASCAR is driver driven, and resists too much manufacturer involvement because we harken back to the days when cars were built in backyards. TRD isn't hiding--it's just that some don't know where to look. I get your frustration man, but TRD isn't trying to screw this sport. Without it, you would have JGR begging for Hendrick crumbs at Chevy. Is that better? I don't think so obviously.

That's an apples to oranges comparison. HMS is not the same as TRD, and despite what he has said, HMS DOES have a driven development program, it's called JR Motorsports. Certainly two, and arguably three of his drivers are graduates of that program. Ironically, Jimmie Johnson is as close to a factory development driver in the TRD mold as Chevrolet has ever really done in NASCAR.

I think the comparison is closer than you think. HMS drives Chevy. TRD drives JGR. Chevy writes the check for HMS to develop their tools. TRD's stuff comes with the package. Hendrick had to eat his words because he saw the writing on the wall. The Roush conspiracy theorists point to TRD's Driver Development Program as evidence that they are trying to take over the sport. Hendrick has started to pony up because he started to realize that if he didn't act, he would get leftovers. Byron was at KBM because Hendrick didn't have a truck team, and Bowman was floundering.

Matt knew what the deal was. He tugged at the heartstrings of the fanbase that loves the underdog. He got a good deal out of the thing, really. I would be willing to bet that the portion of the fanbase you speak of that is upset over this wouldn't root for a Toyota anyway. TRD is only faceless because NASCAR is driver driven, and resists too much manufacturer involvement because we harken back to the days when cars were built in backyards. TRD isn't hiding--it's just that some don't know where to look. I get your frustration man, but TRD isn't trying to screw this sport. Without it, you would have JGR begging for Hendrick crumbs at Chevy. Is that better? I don't think so obviously.

It's pretty hard to argue Gibbs was getting Hendrick crumbs when they won what, three championships over six years, a period when HMS only won one?

I think the comparison is closer than you think. HMS drives Chevy. TRD drives JGR. Chevy writes the check for HMS to develop their tools. TRD's stuff comes with the package. Hendrick had to eat his words because he saw the writing on the wall. The Roush conspiracy theorists point to TRD's Driver Development Program as evidence that they are trying to take over the sport. Hendrick has started to pony up because he started to realize that if he didn't act, he would get leftovers. Byron was at KBM because Hendrick didn't have a truck team, and Bowman was floundering.

If Chevy was paying Hendrick to develop drivers, why did they have to farm Byron out to KBM? Did not JRM run a truck program for Cole Custer? Evidently they didn't give them enough money to keep Tyler Reddick either. I have also heard how close the Chase Elliott deal came to NOT happening because of funding. Evidently Chevy didn't pay for that one either.

Back
Top Bottom