Silly Season 2020

If Chevy was paying Hendrick to develop drivers, why did they have to farm Byron out to KBM? Did not JRM run a truck program for Cole Custer? Evidently they didn't give them enough money to keep Tyler Reddick either. I have also heard how close the Chase Elliott deal came to NOT happening because of funding. Evidently Chevy didn't pay for that one either.
Jr shut down the truck program and GMS sort of took over that role of being a development team for Chevy. GMS, JRM, and Hendrick have the "Drivers Edge" program now for their up and comers.

Jr shut down the truck program to run a fourth Xfinity car.

Neither Coach nor Mr. Leavine was forced to sign with Toyota. Why do you think they did so?
That's an easy one.

cash_100s_bills-100651091-primary.idge.jpg

Jr shut down the truck program and GMS sort of took over that role of being a development team for Chevy. GMS, JRM, and Hendrick have the "Drivers Edge" program now for their up and comers

This

I don't know why this odd fact popped into my head, but if you look at the five most successful Toyota Cup drivers of all time, Kyle, Martin, Carl, Denny and Matt, four were imports from somewhere else, and Denny predates the Toyota involvement. Obviously the next generation of Toyota stars will likely be a different story, but so far, the vaunted Driver Development Program has had ZERO practical effect on Cup racing.

I liked the comment from 1 person who said JGR has produced the best Xfinity drivers that haven't won anything in cup yet.

Not sure if true, true-ish, or not at all, but if true, it's a sign of a team that in Xfinity has the best equipment, and the drivers are relying on car advantage to outperform the opposition in Xfinity. (Our stick and ball comparison: Think college QBs that look like all-stars because they have an excellent supporting cast - especially the offensive line - get drafted high, and suddenly in the pros they are struggling when the talent is more evenly spread between teams.)

Well, you have give Gibbs/TRD credit, their Xfinity stuff is better, in fact I think it is a good bit better than everyone else. The downside is that maybe it gives people an inflated sense of how good the drivers actually are.

I think the comparison is closer than you think. HMS drives Chevy. TRD drives JGR. Chevy writes the check for HMS to develop their tools. TRD's stuff comes with the package. Hendrick had to eat his words because he saw the writing on the wall. The Roush conspiracy theorists point to TRD's Driver Development Program as evidence that they are trying to take over the sport. Hendrick has started to pony up because he started to realize that if he didn't act, he would get leftovers. Byron was at KBM because Hendrick didn't have a truck team, and Bowman was floundering.

Huh?

When Byron started racing with KBM, Bowman didn't even have a relationship with HMS yet

That's an ol Rev story , like the saying an ol wives tale :DHendrick before the Yoders were a gleam in Nascar's eye did the driver training thing. He said one time we must have wrecked 50 cars. Does that look familiar to what Toyota has been doing? He said it was much easier and cheaper to sign on a proven driver..Elliott, Byron, and Bowman for instance. He isn't threatening their jobs and letting them progress also.

Here is one still flying
Kurt Busch’s 2020 plans still not set
When he moved to Chip Ganassi Racing this season to take over the #1 Chevy, Kurt Busch signed a one year contract. While he has expressed an interest in returning next year, nothing has been finalized. He was asked about next year when meeting with the media Friday at Bristol Motor Speedway:

HAVE YOU GOTTEN ANYTHING SOLID YET FOR NEXT YEAR?
“I don’t have anything solid for next year yet.”

— Team Chevy —

https://www.jayski.com/2019/08/16/kurt-buschs-2020-plans-still-not-set/

Here is one still flying
Kurt Busch’s 2020 plans still not set
When he moved to Chip Ganassi Racing this season to take over the #1 Chevy, Kurt Busch signed a one year contract. While he has expressed an interest in returning next year, nothing has been finalized. He was asked about next year when meeting with the media Friday at Bristol Motor Speedway:

HAVE YOU GOTTEN ANYTHING SOLID YET FOR NEXT YEAR?
“I don’t have anything solid for next year yet.”

— Team Chevy —

https://www.jayski.com/2019/08/16/kurt-buschs-2020-plans-still-not-set/
Perhaps this is because of Monster and their habit of waiting to commit to sponsorships at the end of the year?

Perhaps this is because of Monster and their habit of waiting to commit to sponsorships at the end of the year?
I loves me some Chastain but unless Chip needs to sacrifice performance to save a lot of money, I don't see any other reason to replace Kurt. Even if Monster doesn't come through, will Ross be bringing enough sponsorship of his own to replace them? If not, I'd rather find someone to back Kurt.

Well, you have give Gibbs/TRD credit, their Xfinity stuff is better, in fact I think it is a good bit better than everyone else. The downside is that maybe it gives people an inflated sense of how good the drivers actually are.
From what I understand TDR is not involved in Xfinity. Those engines are produced in house by JGR.

I guess it depends on how you define "involved". It is my understanding that the Xfinity engines are still built in-house at JGR, utilizing the rather substantial investment JGR already had in that engine facility, but frankly, as I have implied by calling it JGR/TRD, or TRD NASCAR Division, I'm beginning to wonder if the bathrooms at JGR get cleaned without somebody at TRD signing off on it. (I'm only HALF joking). ;)

I guess it depends on how you define "involved". It is my understanding that the Xfinity engines are still built in-house at JGR, utilizing the rather substantial investment JGR already had in that engine facility, but frankly, as I have implied by calling it JGR/TRD, or TRD NASCAR Division, I'm beginning to wonder if the bathrooms at JGR get cleaned without somebody at TRD signing off on it. (I'm only HALF joking). ;)
I guess TDR could say KB would have won this race had he been using our engine.

Wonder if Ryan Newman retires after this season. Heard a rumor he may.

From what I understand TDR is not involved in Xfinity. Those engines are produced in house by JGR.

They are, but I believe that Mark Cronquist frequents TRD Costa Mesa.

I don't know what Ryan was expecting, though it may be a good idea to go out on top (relatively) with how he's ran in the 6. Last I checked it was a 3 year deal.

Though I'm sure a lot of people are hating on Ryan with the 95 situation, he's been running the 6 car for all it's worth.

And yeah... it should be Tyler Reddick in the 3 at this point lol. I'm fearful that we could see Hemric or Bubba getting replaced by Reddick.

It’s sad to me RCR won’t be making the playoffs this year. I don’t even know where to begin on the drivers, Dillon just hasn’t produced this year and Hemric has shown brief flashes. In a perfect world one of them would be replaced by Reddick or Buescher (maybe Austin can get a cushy management job next to paw paw) and then sign one of the young kids in trucks like Sheldon Creed to man your Xfinity program. Pure Speculation I know but the Cup driver line up isn’t getting it done at RCR. I refuse to believe it’s subpar equipment most weeks they’ve unloaded fast

It’s sad to me RCR won’t be making the playoffs this year. I don’t even know where to begin on the drivers, Dillon just hasn’t produced this year and Hemric has shown brief flashes. In a perfect world one of them would be replaced by Reddick or Buescher (maybe Austin can get a cushy management job next to paw paw) and then sign one of the young kids in trucks like Sheldon Creed to man your Xfinity program. Pure Speculation I know but the Cup driver line up isn’t getting it done at RCR. I refuse to believe it’s subpar equipment most weeks they’ve unloaded fast
Yep agree. They don't seem to lack speed.

Though I'm sure a lot of people are hating on Ryan with the 95 situation, ...
@AuzGrams, you've nailed the source of this 'rumor'. Interesting that no one 'heard' this one before the Bristol race, and that @ahhculdee was one of the people most critical of Newman in the race thread last night. :rolleyes:

I hope not. Journeyman driver but has been the best full-time guy RFR have had in years. I think he's exposed Stenhouse and put to bed the argument that Ricky could do something big in better equipment.

Yup...I used to believe that Ricky could be a real contender in top equipment....but now I dont really think the Roush stuff is that far off and with a guy a step above Newman's talent those cars could be winning races.

I get the Stenhouse criticism but the guy has won Roush’s last 2 points paying races. He also has 2 nationwide championships and won 6 races against the likes of Kyle Busch, Harvick, Brad, and Logano in 2012. I don’t think you beat those guys head to head and magically forget how to drive. He’s inconsistent but he can get speed out of those cars. Newman on the other hand takes what the car gives him and is more consistent. I don’t see how Newman finishing 8th-13th every week proves roush is a great ride

To me it’s obvious JGR has the best stuff in both series. Hendricks is definitely struggling and is a ways off. As in all sports money talks and in racing it is even more important than ever.

I get the Stenhouse criticism but the guy has won Roush’s last 2 points paying races. He also has 2 nationwide championships and won 6 races against the likes of Kyle Busch, Harvick, Brad, and Logano in 2012. I don’t think you beat those guys head to head and magically forget how to drive. He’s inconsistent but he can get speed out of those cars. Newman on the other hand takes what the car gives him and is more consistent. I don’t see how Newman finishing 8th-13th every week proves roush is a great ride

Perhaps Stenhouse needs to learn the Newman approach.

That's an easy one.

cash_100s_bills-100651091-primary.idge.jpg

Yup, the same reason for everyone. However, that pile takes the form of TRD Costa Mesa and Salisbury to a degree.....where teams have tools provided by TRD that other teams pay for (Ford is getting closer, however). Coach wasn't interested in Mr. H crumbs. Obviously, a great move to go to Toyota when nobody else would. Mr. Leavine now has tools to be competitive. Win/win......and winning. First in the Drivers and Manufacturers Standings. Very smart men.

To me it’s obvious JGR has the best stuff in both series. Hendricks is definitely struggling and is a ways off. As in all sports money talks and in racing it is even more important than ever.

Hendrick has money, and it isn't talking at the moment. You have to have money to go fast, but just because you have it doesn't mean you will. This sport is awesome.

Who said it was a "great" ride?

Back
Top Bottom