Silly Season 2020

Hendrick has money, and it isn't talking at the moment. You have to have money to go fast, but just because you have it doesn't mean you will. This sport is awesome.

There's only one top organization at the moment -- JGR.

As a Penske Fan, I can only hope that their Chase Cars are going to be competitive for wins. SHR just seems bad for execution and only 2 wins so far is underperforming. HMS has 3 wins, so they're not a dumpster fire.

JGR 12
Penske 5
HMS 3
SHR 2
CGR 1
Spire 1

I get the Stenhouse criticism but the guy has won Roush’s last 2 points paying races. He also has 2 nationwide championships and won 6 races against the likes of Kyle Busch, Harvick, Brad, and Logano in 2012. I don’t think you beat those guys head to head and magically forget how to drive. He’s inconsistent but he can get speed out of those cars. Newman on the other hand takes what the car gives him and is more consistent. I don’t see how Newman finishing 8th-13th every week proves roush is a great ride
I don't think Newman demonstrates Roush cars are great as much as he shows the cars are capable of more than Stenhouse is getting out of them.

Yup, the same reason for everyone. However, that pile takes the form of TRD Costa Mesa and Salisbury to a degree.....where teams have tools provided by TRD that other teams pay for (Ford is getting closer, however). Coach wasn't interested in Mr. H crumbs. Obviously, a great move to go to Toyota when nobody else would. Mr. Leavine now has tools to be competitive. Win/win......and winning. First in the Drivers and Manufacturers Standings. Very smart men.

Could you please explain what these HMS "crumbs" were? By the time that JGR left Chevy, they hadn't been getting ANYTHING from HMS for YEARS, and if you want to say HMS was number one on the Chevy pecking order, OK, but show me where it was hurting JGR's performance any by being number two or number three on the list. As I pointed out, JGR had won three championships with two different drivers over a six year period while HMS only won one during that period, and JGR was instrumental in helping Chevy develop the R07 race engine. I'm not going to argue that the Toyota deal probably was a BETTER deal financially and resource wise than their Chevy deal was, but their Chevy deal sure couldn't have been too bad, and I don't see how anything was Hendrick's fault. At least Joe was gracious enough to recognize how much Rick helped him get the team off the ground in the first place.

Could you please explain what these HMS "crumbs" were? By the time that JGR left Chevy, they hadn't been getting ANYTHING from HMS for YEARS, and if you want to say HMS was number one on the Chevy pecking order, OK, but show me where it was hurting JGR's performance any by being number two or number three on the list. As I pointed out, JGR had won three championships with two different drivers over a six year period while HMS only won one during that period, and JGR was instrumental in helping Chevy develop the R07 race engine. I'm not going to argue that the Toyota deal probably was a BETTER deal financially and resource wise than their Chevy deal was, but their Chevy deal sure couldn't have been too bad, and I don't see how anything was Hendrick's fault. At least Joe was gracious enough to recognize how much Rick helped him get the team off the ground in the first place.

Would you rather be #1 with your manufacturer or 2/3? Do you view JGR as the equal of Hendrick while with Chevy?

Would you rather be #1 with your manufacturer or 2/3? Do you view JGR as the equal of Hendrick while with Chevy?

I never said I wouldn't rather be #1, but doesn't mean they were getting crumbs. Now granted, Hendrick had an unbelievable 2007, but from 00'-06' I would say JGR was every bit the equal of HMS, and in what really counts, they were BETTER.

The preacher won three championships with GM before he left them and he has one that took 10 years later with Toyota. I don't think number one, two or three has anything much to do with that. Crumbs..what a joke. Looking at the record, I think the crumbs have fallen the other way.

I do know one thing. If Kurt Busch retires, Ross Chastain is going to the 1.

I never said I wouldn't rather be #1, but doesn't mean they were getting crumbs. Now granted, Hendrick had an unbelievable 2007, but from 00'-06' I would say JGR was every bit the equal of HMS, and in what really counts, they were BETTER.

So I will ask it a different way.....Who do you think Chevy viewed as their #1?

The preacher won three championships with GM before he left them and he has one that took 10 years later with Toyota. I don't think number one, two or three has anything much to do with that. Crumbs..what a joke. Looking at the record, I think the crumbs have fallen the other way.

We can slice this any way you would like.....We can call them crumbs in terms of R&D.....or crumbs in terms of what they had to pay relative to what they were getting. I mean, you spend a ton of time talking about what a savage Coach is....he made the move for a reason.....

We can slice this any way you would like.....We can call them crumbs in terms of R&D.....or crumbs in terms of what they had to pay relative to what they were getting. I mean, you spend a ton of time talking about what a savage Coach is....he made the move for a reason.....

I wasn't talking reasons, I was talking results. 3 championships to one. You are the one calling it a great move.

The reason was money. Why else would he leave GM after having so much success?I bet Toyota threw the bank at him.

hope he gets paid well to do their dirty work. He's getting better, he stayed out of the way with the Matt deal, nobody is taking responsibility for the firing.

You say that like it’s a BAD thing.
No it’s just my opinion on why he switched. But the fact remains as of now he had more championships with GM no matter how much money he got from Toyota. Probably added to his wealth ,championships not so much.

hope he gets paid well to do their dirty work. He's getting better, he stayed out of the way with the Matt deal, nobody is taking responsibility for the firing.

Bob Levine is taking the responsibility. He has been answering a lot of questions on twitter. He also said there were people at the hauler that may be able to help Matt get a ride. The man is more open than most owners.

Bob Levine is taking the responsibility. He has been answering a lot of questions on twitter. He also said there were people at the hauler that may be able to help Matt get a ride. The man is more open than most owners.

No, no, no that will never be accepted here. Coach/TRD push around very successful/rich men, and force them into doing things they don't want to do. Furthermore, they force said successful and rich men into taking responsibility for their actions when deep down inside we know that they were tickled with a feather to submission.

Greatest Kenseth fan of all time.

interesting, I thought Leavine was getting help from Toyota's, he said at the start he was getting a better deal to switch brands.

interesting, I thought Leavine was getting help from Toyota's, he said at the start he was getting a better deal to switch brands.

Maybe by "better deal," he meant things like support, etc. which BTW could be the better deal Coach got when he chose Toyota which is what I have been trying to say all along. Ho-ly crap! ....Can we believe these owners say now, or not?

Matt had a one year contract w/option for a second year. Bob Levine decided not to take the option. He also says "low"end it takes 18-20 million to run a competitive team.

Matt had a one year contract w/option for a second year. Bob Levine decided not to take the option. He also says "low"end it takes 18-20 million to run a competitive team.

They look pretty competitive right now. Where's all the money coming from if Toyota isn't providing it, and how much are they going to pay him to solve their Christopher Bell "problem"?

I’m sure if Mr. Leavine finds it necessary, he’ll let you know where the money comes from.

The “TRD pays the freight” crowd seems somewhat subdued.

The idea that Gibbs pays Leavine is even more ridiculous.

Some of the dismissive deburrito comments from a few days ago in this thread made me smile thinking about them when I saw Matt Dibenedetto school Eric Jones and take the lead.
Guilty as charged you can @ me. I’d still take Jones and Bell though...just the way LFR/JGR did it.

Last edited:
You're a good sport about it. I like Jones too I think he has a lot of upside. Bell, well let me see what he does in cup.

You're a good sport about it. I like Jones too I think he has a lot of upside. Bell, well let me see what he does in cup.
Thanks ha ha I’ll admit when I’m wrong. Not everyone will agree here that’s what makes this place exciting. I was wrong about calling Matty D a never was or it’s no big deal he’s losing his ride. I hope he finds a good cup ride to either prove all of us right or wrong. Saying that I’d still take Jones and Bell, I believe their individual upside is more than Matty D’s. But I could be wrong. Won’t be the last.

Back
Top Bottom