Silly Season 2020

I guess with time, maybe Daniel will move down to the Xfinity series. Also, I'm upset Briscoe does not have official plans for next season. Its a shame his sponsorship dried up.

Sounds like Tony really does like Daniel and maybe Custer's dad (Big executive at SHR) and Gene saw that a change was needed for the 41. As Tony said, the 41 is Gene's car. I hope Daniel stays with Ford IMO, I think he's a great ambassador for the brand.

Bowyer is staying and Suarez is gone?

What a joke.

Bowyer has been racing in Cup since Suarez entered puberty and has very little to show for it.

Daniel deserves this chance, Clint has overstayed his welcome.

To me it makes sense. Clint had continually outperformed Daniel, it appears Clint brings more sponsorship money, and why pay out of your own pocket to fund a guy that is underperforming?

Let's not forget the reason that Daniel got that job is because he was bringing money

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Clint has 14 years in the Cup series, it’s expected that he should outrun Suarez. Which, to be fair, Clint only has 3 more top 5s than Daniel on the season.

It’s just a money deal and Suarez got canned for a veteran wheel holder.

The difference is I believe he had another year on his contract at JGR when he was shown the door, but the SHR thing was only a 1 year deal.

To me you can't even compare the two. JGR basically pushed him through to cup way too soon, then kicked him to the curb. SHR gave him an opportunity after he had lost his ride.

I agree with most of what you said, but let's remember it was Carl's Edwards sudden departure that forced JGR to bring Suarez up before he may have been ready. I don't recall what their other options were, but I do remember applauding them giving him the shot.

Bowyer is staying and Suarez is gone?

What a joke.

Bowyer has been racing in Cup since Suarez entered puberty and has very little to show for it.

Daniel deserves this chance, Clint has overstayed his welcome.
Why would SHR cut the second best driver?

Clint got off to a horrible start, but he turned his **** around and made the second round of the playoffs this year.

Suarez is a case of bad timing, I'd say Clint needs to win next year, no doubt. Clint made the playoffs, Daniel did not. Clint has been closer to winning races than Daniel this season. Only three top fives more, that's huge difference and a deciding factor on Bowyer staying and Suarez leaving. Not to mention Rush loves Clint. Heck all of the sponsors love the guy, but I'd say if he doesn't win next season, he's good as gone.

Its as simple as that, Suarez's sponsors are taking too long to make a decision. The Bowyer hate is such bull**** IMO, his season has not been great yet folks are ignoring how much he improved the second half of the season. He was crashing left and right, but after the All-Star/Coke 600 scuffle he got his **** together.

Clint Bowyer is definitely an overrated driver succeswise over the length of his career.

Why would SHR cut the second best driver?

Clint got off to a horrible start, but he turned his sh!t around and made the second round of the playoffs this year.

Suarez is a case of bad timing, I'd say Clint needs to win next year, no doubt. Clint made the playoffs, Daniel did not. Clint has been closer to winning races than Daniel this season. Only three top fives more, that's huge difference and a deciding factor on Bowyer staying and Suarez leaving. Not to mention Rush loves Clint. Heck all of the sponsors love the guy, but I'd say if he doesn't win next season, he's good as gone.

Its as simple as that, Suarez's sponsors are taking too long to make a decision. The Bowyer hate is such bull**** IMO, his season has not been great yet folks are ignoring how much he improved the second half of the season. He was crashing left and right, but after the All-Star/Coke 600 scuffle he got his sh!t together.
You think a 14 year veteran with only 10 wins to his name that barely outruns his 3rd year teammate deserves to keep his car over a young driver with more upside?

How is that irrelevant, if I may ask?
Stating that Tony owns the cars and makes the decisions is obvious.

If we cannot debate our personal opinions about who deserves a contract extension or not then there is no point in a discussion board.

I like Daniel Suarez and hope the best for him, but IMO to argue that Suarez is a superior driver to Bowyer past, present, or future is to engage in wishful thinking or a rather predictable anti-Bowyer bias that still emanates from certain corners. There is no available evidence that would indicate so. Almirola might be more debatable, but even then, I know who I'm taking if it's based solely on predicting performance. Custer, same call.

On one hand it is unfortunate that Suarez has been jerked around because of larger events and machinations. On the other, nobody 'deserves' an elite Cup seat. Suarez has had two, with perhaps bad timing. I hope he lands in a good situation and revives his career.

This is a true statement that is irrelevant to the point being made.
I guess it is if you are trying to get something started. But what it means is that Gene Haas has the final decision on what happens to the 41 car. It's HIS car. Tony and Gene have the decision on the 14. No joke. ;)

I to argue that Suarez is a superior driver to Bowyer past, present, or future is to engage in wishful thinking or a rather predictable anti-Bowyer bias that still emanates from certain corners. There is no available evidence that would indicate so.
This is where we disagree.

I guess it is if you are trying to get something started. But what it means is that Gene Haas has the final decision on what happens to the 41 car. It's HIS car. Tony and Gene have the decision on the 14. No joke. ;)
If that is the way you intend on arguing every topic then there is no point in this board.

Hell, O’Donnell is the one steering the ship. There is no point in talking about where it should be going.

You think a 14 year veteran with only 10 wins to his name that barely outruns his 3rd year teammate deserves to keep his car over a young driver with more upside?

Capture-2019-11-15-13-10-16.png

I’m a realist and don’t pay much attention to “what ifs” like the head-to-head algorithm.

Reality is Bowyer has a 1 position better average finish and is far beyond his prime and better years. Suarez has all the potential with a long road and basically has the same results.

If I have the checkbook I am keeping Daniel and signing Custer to the #14. They can feed off of Kevin’s experience.

I’m not sure how much longer I keep Aric either.

I’m a realist and don’t pay much attention to “what ifs” like the head-to-head algorithm.

Reality is Bowyer has a 1 position better average finish and is far beyond his prime and better years. Suarez has all the potential with a long road and basically has the same results.

If I have the checkbook I am keeping Daniel and signing Custer to the #14. They can feed off of Kevin’s experience.

But this is also a business and you can't keep writing checks to keep a guy in the car when the other guy brings money. Do you think all the places menard ran for he was their top choice? No, but it takes money to make a cars go around the track.

I'm a realist also. Clint is ranked 10th, and Suarez is ranked 17th right now. Another thing, history says Gene Haas if the money ain't right will sponsor the car himself, so I really don't think sponsor money plays the role it does for many others he wants to win and Suarez isn't getting it done. He told Kurt the same thing about winning and he is gone.

Aric gave the 10 the best performance the cars ever had last season, won a race, finished 5th in points, and we’re already getting the firing squad ready for him :rolleyes:. SHR as a whole has had a down season, maybe we should see what happens next year. The only car that’s consistently good is the Harvick-Childers car (imagine that). Even Kurt Busch wasn’t more than a token win a year guy because he was getting Danica’s old team instead of the resources Harvick was. Maybe SHR isn’t as good as people want to believe?

Aric gave the 10 the best performance the cars ever had last season, won a race, finished 5th in points, and we’re already getting the firing squad ready for him :rolleyes:. SHR as a whole has had a down season, maybe we should see what happens next year. The only car that’s consistently good is the Harvick-Childers car (imagine that). Even Kurt Busch wasn’t more than a token win a year guy because he was getting Danica’s old team instead of the resources Harvick was. Maybe SHR isn’t as good as people want to believe?

Could be why they got rid of the weakest link and are trying Custer in the spot who appears to be on fire at present.

Bowyer honestly has had more "what ifs" than anything else, he's had some really good cars and either got involved or something crazy happens.

Daniel can be a really good driver, but right now his floor is still not where it needs to be. At the surface, Bowyer is the second best driver at SHR. Hands down, bar none at this point. Daniel has more instances where he would qualify well and drop like a rock in some races. Almirola, I'm not sure what happened to the 10 team this year.

Bowyer at one point was on the outside looking into the playoff picture. He got in, Daniel did not. I mean, it is what it is at this point. Bowyer after Daytona in July had two top 5s and nine top 10s, it propelled him in. Is it impressive? No, of course not, but he got the job done to advance on in the end. Its about results at the end of the day.

Custer has won seven times, albeit a weaker Xfinity field, its hard to keep him relegated to the Xfinity series. His results have gotten him to this point and I think many hate the fact Suarez had to be the fall guy, but his deal was not done and it makes it easier to realistically bet house money by promoting Custer. Custer has sponsors as well, so it makes it easier to transition to fill in the lost sponsorship that Suarez had.

Daniel is a very good driver and ambassador, but I'd like to see a team stay committed to him and not his sponsorship dollars. That's where I think the issue lies because with some sort of consistency, Daniel could grow into a very good driver for years to come.

Suarez's bunch couldn't get all of the funding together
After Suarez revealed the news, SHR issued a statement that read: “Daniel Suarez is the epitome of class. He is a world-class race car driver and an even better person who has represented Stewart-Haas Racing and its partners extremely well. We have much respect and admiration for Daniel, and genuinely wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.”
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...l-not-be-back-at-stewart-haas-racing-in-2020/

Results drive business > money driven business.

I would suggest this would have been a good time to park that useless Coke Driver family thing and put some muscle (money) behind Daniel. They seem to like him, and he has been a good representative for them. I'm the ultimate Coca Cola guy, but their marketing people are often clueless. Don't forget they had Jeff Gordon at the beginning of his meteoric rise to national icon, and they pissed it away because they weren't thinking big like PepsiCo was. In the next few years (97' forward), Jeff would have gotten them more exposure in a week than that Family of drivers has giving them in the last twenty years combined.

It's really difficult to make any numbers or results say what you want them to say in this case. Leaning on average finish alone is dubious. In a realist, results-driven world, 7 top 5s and 17 top 10s are not the same results as 4 top 5s and 11 top 10s.

Bowyer's first three seasons driving for RCR, an organization not on par with the current form of JGR or SHR, produced two wins, 16 top 5s, 45 top 10s, and a third place finish in the standings. Suarez's first three seasons driving for two elite organizations have garnered no wins, 8 top 5s, 32 top tens and a best standings finish of 17th. Not the same performance. Also not exactly relevant to comparing Clint Bowyer today vs. Daniel Suarez today, but we've already done that.

I don't mind your contention that Suarez has more upside than he has shown thus far, but that is purely speculative and subjective.

I do wish Daniel had gotten one more year. Then either way the results would be more irrefutable.

Very interesting indeed. I understand Haas's decision and I admire Stewart's position in this case and belief in Suarez. It's a tough business.
Just thinking about it now that might be what makes those 2 a good pair. Tony wants people he likes around and gene looks at it from the business side.

Very interesting indeed. I understand Haas's decision and I admire Stewart's position in this case and belief in Suarez. It's a tough business.
Seems like Tony wants to keep him in the fold, I hope with enough sponsorship he can move back down to Xfinity for a year to keep himself in the eye of teams.

I'd like to see Daniel stay with Ford long-term.

Custer has a higher potential tham Suarez does at this point is what it comes down to.
I believe that is part of it for sure, but I also believe all the money(support) wasn't there..and promises to pay down the line doesn't pay the bills. All this would probably be a moot point if Suarez had pulled a win or two out of the bag and Custer wasn't continuing to show more speed. I believe those reasons were all in play. the money wasn't there and Custer performance wise was knocking it out of the park.. Stewart said both of those reasons when he spoke about it. I don't think SHR B.S.'s that much and they are able to make their own decisions instead of Ford making them for them.

I can't blame Gene for deciding to let Suarez go if it's money down the line when it sounds like its Tony's guy.

I don't get all the drama over Suarez. He got his cup ride at JGR because he brought the $. He got the cup ride at SHR because he brought the $. He lost his ride because he no longer could bring the $. There are thousands of other drivers just as qualified as Suarez, but they don't have the $, so they will never get a chance.

I don't get all the drama over Suarez. He got his cup ride at JGR because he brought the $. He got the cup ride at SHR because he brought the $. He lost his ride because he no longer could bring the $. There are thousands of other drivers just as qualified as Suarez, but they don't have the $, so they will never get a chance.
He brought the money, but he also won a championship.

I agree. Bowyer is at the end of his career. He's a very average driver with no real upside. It's hard to believe he got signed for another year.

Back
Top Bottom