Silly Season 2020

TRD must be going all-out in support of Friesen in the truck series with maybe engines for his dirt racing activities.

Haven't seen anything that would suggest so. Trucks have become a necessary evil for Toyota since the spec crap. They are only their for the seats for their Development Drivers IMO.

I like Stewart's team affiliated with KBM. Would love to see him in some JGR Toyotas eventually in Xfinity.

Is this the first "affiliate" in the Truck Series? Might have missed something. So, we go spec to save money, and then have "affiliates" becoming a necessity to spend money. Interesting.

https://www.frontstretch.com/2019/1...season-with-shepherd-racing-ventures-in-2020/

"While the team currently only has one Chevrolet — which is a 2013 model or older — and one full-time employee (Kase Kallenbach), Shepherd plans on running Cassill full time in 2020 — contingent on funds, of course.

“Yeah, we’ve got to raise the money because you can’t do this without money,” Shepherd tells Frontstretch. “Money buys people and buys cars and equipment. Those are the things you’ve got to have first of all.

“We’re building a resume to show them that we can get in races if we have the backing. You’ve got to have backing so you can hire people.”

Shepherd confirms the Homestead sponsor — Racing with Jesus/Dale & Sandra Dietrich — are family friends of the Shepherds. He also says the team is having discussions with two potential sponsors to nail down the 2020 season.

Cassill says the plan is to run the full season in the No. 89 car, should funding come around.

“That’s what we’re trying to do,” Cassill says. “Ultimately, he’s got a lot of sponsorship stuff that he’s working on. There’s a lot of things that have to come together."

Is this the first "affiliate" in the Truck Series? Might have missed something. So, we go spec to save money, and then have "affiliates" becoming a necessity to spend money. Interesting.
HFR was an affiliate of GMS back in late 2017, in the pre spec era

I drive by FRM a few times a week. They have removed all signage from the front of the building right after season ended and it looks empty. The number signs near the roof are blank. I figured it was because of the shakeup and not knowing which numbers they would run, or maybe they are moving. (It's the old Travis Carter Camel Racing building off I-40 in Statesville). It just struck me as odd as I do not remember them taking the car numbers down before.

Boy that seems weird somebody did say something about employees being let go also but I feel like their social media page is still active.

I drive by FRM a few times a week. They have removed all signage from the front of the building right after season ended and it looks empty. The number signs near the roof are blank. I figured it was because of the shakeup and not knowing which numbers they would run, or maybe they are moving. (It's the old Travis Carter Camel Racing building off I-40 in Statesville). It just struck me as odd as I do not remember them taking the car numbers down before.
That's ... interesting.

Scott got the axe. He was rather underwhelming. Suarez's crew chief

Well, my thing is he did well with Kurt the year before.

A win, 6 top 5s, and 22 top 10s.

So, why are they just axing him now? Scott is a so-so CC, he got a lot of hate from Danica fans while his tenure with her.

I can't see another major organization aside from SHR allowing Larson the freedom he wants.

If you're a Chip Ganassi fan, that wasn't the most convincing interview I have ever seen as far as staying, but regardless, I'll just go out on a limb right now and say that Kyle Larson will NOT be the driver of the 48 in 2020.

Well, my thing is he did well with Kurt the year before.

A win, 6 top 5s, and 22 top 10s.

So, why are they just axing him now? Scott is a so-so CC, he got a lot of hate from Danica fans while his tenure with her.

part of it is that Custer's crew chief is moving up with Cole. 7 wins, 17 top 5's and 24 top tens this year.

Last edited:

Interesting.

Maybe they are just moving to a different shop?

Larson being political when interviewed said he didn't think anybody could let him do his dirt racing more than Chip does. Cough cough, Stewart owns a dirt track and a WoO car and also races a dirt car.

Of course, how well did that work out when Tony was still driving Cup? If there was ever a poster child for why NOT to let your Cup driver run sprint cars, Tony would be the guy. I guess in the end it would depend on whether he would be Tony's driver, or Gene's driver.....:confused:

Of course, how well did that work out when Tony was still driving Cup? If there was ever a poster child for why NOT to let your Cup driver run sprint cars, Tony would be the guy. I guess in the end it would depend on whether he would be Tony's driver, or Gene's driver.....:confused:

I mean, the kid got out of his car on a hot (hot as in active) track and had THC in his system. As much as the media likes to pile on Tony Stewart for that incident, I personally blame the kid for being stupid and reckless.

The rash of deaths from private aircraft accidents (and the persistent increased risks) didn't cause any team owners to ban their drivers from flying on them, as far as I know.

It's certainly up to each team owner which extracurricular actitivies are acceptable, or worth allowing to employ Kyle Larson.

What's the word on how much Gibbs is going to let Bell race?

Last edited:
The rash of deaths from private aircraft accidents (and the persistent increased risks) didn't cause any team owners to ban their drivers from flying on them, as far as I know.

It's certainly up to each team owner which extracurricular actitivies are acceptable, or worth allowing to employ Kyle Larson.

What's the word on how much Gibbs is going to allow Bell to race?
I'd assume Gibbs start his own multi car outlaws teams and let Bell run them all like he let Shrub run the lower series:rolleyes:

I'd assume Gibbs start his own multi car outlaws teams and let Bell run them all like he let Shrub run the lower series:rolleyes:
eh the story is TRD(Curb) is using the midgets for development drivers. Might be why Larson built his own car this year, he's not Toyota enough

Interesting.

Maybe they are just moving to a different shop?
Maybe. Or maybe it's just part of the whole "laying everyone off and shutting down" for the winter. Who knows. I certainly haven't read or heard any rumors of them shuttering the place.

The Ilmore engine used in the trucks is a Ford. The block is cast iron W/aluminum heads. It's a 302 block that finishes out at 347 cubic inches. Stroker motor.

No, that's the Ilmor late model engine. The ARCA/NASCAR engine is a GM LS engine.

I was under the impression that the Truck engine was more powerful than 396. Last I had heard about the topic of ARCA engine vs. Truck series engine was that the ARCA engine can be used in the truck series but not the other way around. So it would reason to believe that the Truck engine is more powerful than the ARCA engine or has some sort of advantage to the ARCA 396 that would necessitate a banning of the engine in ARCA competition.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the Truck engine was more powerful than 396. Last I had heard about the topic of ARCA engine vs. Truck series engine was that the ARCA engine can be used in the truck series but not the other way around. So it would reason to believe that the Truck engine is more powerful than the ARCA engine or has some sort of advantage to the ARCA 396 that would necessitate a banning of the engine in ARCA competition.

I have found 2-3 ads on the net where people had these engines for sale and they listed them as both, perhaps it's just an ECU difference or something simple like that.

Back
Top Bottom