Silly Season 2023

That's wild. I hope this will make PettyGM competitive.

Jimmie must have been interested in what Justin Marks did.

Gotta wonder how long he'd do this. Would be pretty cool if he somehow ended up with 2 more wins, sole spot #4 on the all time win list

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Definitely will be some kind of Hendrick alliance

Definitely will be some kind of Hendrick alliance

ECR Builds their engines so pretty sure no info sharing without a complete package, maybe some Chevy team building stuff but nothing proprietary.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I don't want to see JJ come back for anything more than an exhibition race. His last couple years were lackluster and he doesn't need to do anything to tarnish everything he's accomplished.

I didn't watch nascar during DW's prime. My only memories of him racing are him taking the past champion provisional and struggling to make the field. JJ doesn't need this.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

7 Time Motorsports should have Jimmie run the All-Star Race @ North Wilkesboro & maybe select road courses such as COTA, Chicago, Indy. Maybe another oval or 2?

Number? 92?
ASR at North Wilkesboro, Coke 600 as part of The Double, Chicago street course is my guess. He’s still leaning towards bucket list-type stuff and only has about 10 racing weekends next year so I imagine it’ll be unique events.

Awesome to see Jimmie invested in the sport for the long-term, crazy news. That team is trending in the right direction.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I don't want to see JJ come back for anything more than an exhibition race. His last couple years were lackluster and he doesn't need to do anything to tarnish everything he's accomplished.

I didn't watch nascar during DW's prime. My only memories of him racing are him taking the past champion provisional and struggling to make the field. JJ doesn't need this.

I think Jimmie will have to run several races to adjust to this car but with that being said I think the last couple of years at Hendrick was more on Hendrick Performance then Jimmie

JJ won at least one championship against every active cup champion in the series. Most of these guys were around when he was still on top of NASCAR.

Yes, his last few seasons were weak, and the hunger was gone. But two years away from the sport, as an owner, I'd imagine there's some sort of lit fire that has not existed in 5 years.

Running top 15 in 6 or 7 races isn't going to tarnish his legacy. He's the most dominant driver of the modern era.

Junior and Kelley have a plan, it will happen in due time.

They have plenty of support wjere they are currently. Also, this maybe could be a sign on Petty taking a backseat entirely instead of being a figure and/or face of the GMS team. Still, its going to be good to see JJ back in his element.

Good move by Mr. Gallagher.

Johnson knows what it takes to field a consistent winner.
It will be interesting to see if his role in Petty-GMS management is more similar to the Justin Marks role or the Pitbull role.

As for the driving part, I agree with @wi_racefan... not interested in seeing a champion from the past hanging on too long trying to exploit the fame/celebrity earned in prior decades. The farewell tour will be in its fourth year, JJ at 47 years old... gimme a break.

Give Jimmie a decent car at Dover and he could still put it in victory lane. Martinsville too if they use an 850 HP package.

It will be interesting to see if his role in Petty-GMS management is more similar to the Justin Marks role or the Pitbull role.

As for the driving part, I agree with @wi_racefan... not interested in seeing a champion from the past hanging on too long trying to exploit the fame/celebrity earned in prior decades. The farewell tour will be in its fourth year, JJ at 47 years old... gimme a break.
Drivers can't just have fun when they get older?

Fans are always quick to tell drivers or even players in other sports what do do with their legacies. It’s their lives, if they want to drive at 47 years old that’s great. More power to them, I think it’s great Jimmie will be in the field for some races next year, the only 7 time champion still driving.

And yet everyone eats it up when Jr. does a couple of X races a year. What's the diff,?

I'm OK with them "having fun", but not at the top level. I've watched too many struggling veterans in multiple sports looking awful doing what they used to do masterfully. I'm not a fan of that. I have also grown so weary of the Brett Favre style fence sitting on retirement. Be a man, make a damn decision and live with the consequences. There was a time when being a person of your word meant something. Now it's just until I change my mind again. I've really grown to respect the people that call their shot so to speak and just walk away.

I'm OK with them "having fun", but not at the top level. I've watched too many struggling veterans in multiple sports looking awful doing what they used to do masterfully. I'm not a fan of that. I have also grown so weary of the Brett Favre style fence sitting on retirement. Be a man, make a damn decision and live with the consequences. There was a time when being a person of your word meant something. Now it's just until I change my mind again. I've really grown to respect the people that call their shot so to speak and just walk away.
Jimmie never said he was retiring from racing. He said said full time he won’t be doing it at the Cup level anymore when he stepped away from the 48. What’s the harm in 6-10 Cup races tops he does next year?

Jimmie never said he was retiring from racing. He said said full time he won’t be doing it at the Cup level anymore when he stepped away from the 48. What’s the harm in 6-10 Cup races tops he does next year?
It doesn't do any harm, but I just have no desire to see Jimmie be beyond mediocre at something he was a master of. The last couple years of his full time career were painful enough for me.

They have plenty of support wjere they are currently. Also, this maybe could be a sign on Petty taking a backseat entirely instead of being a figure and/or face of the GMS team. Still, its going to be good to see JJ back in his element.
A couple of things; saw an interview with Kelly this week where she flat out said that she is 50 years old and doesn't want to be doing this forever. Since she seems to be the one that does the actual "heavy lifting" in the organization, that may well effect JRM's plan going forward. The other thing, I think as long as Richard is upright he will be the face of Petty GMS. It's who he is and what he does and what he lives for. If he was looking for an exit strategy, he could of and maybe should have done that a long time ago. I worked for a guy that went to the track every single week, even when he didn't have a car in the race because it was his entire life and he had nothing to keep him alive except racing. He ended up dead because of racing, but I don't think he would have wanted it any other way.

This move came out of nowhere. I think it will be a good move for the team. When it gets to the point that Richard can't get out to make appearances for sponsors, Johnson could fill that void.

This move came out of nowhere. I think it will be a good move for the team. When it gets to the point that Richard can't get out to make appearances for sponsors, Johnson could fill that void.
Absolutely. I'm still so shocked because I never saw team ownership as a slightest desire. Even his continued racing kind of shocks me. I really had him pegged as a Carl Edwards type that would basically vaporize to be hardly seen or heard from again. Heck, for most of his career he didn't even LIVE in racing country. Just recently he was talking about living abroad for a few years. That doesn't seem to fit with a guy that wants to be involved in team ownership.

Absolutely. I'm still so shocked because I never saw team ownership as a slightest desire. Even his continued racing kind of shocks me. I really had him pegged as a Carl Edwards type that would basically vaporize to be hardly seen or heard from again. Heck, for most of his career he didn't even LIVE in racing country. Just recently he was talking about living abroad for a few years. That doesn't seem to fit with a guy that wants to be involved in team ownership.

He could still live abroad and fly out for the Daytona 500 and Coca-Cola 600 and whatever other races.

They have plenty of support wjere they are currently.
Junior and Kelley won’t be straying too far from HMS.
Jeff Gordon is the next owner of HMS and they already have 4 cars...if Junior goes Cup racing, it will be solo or with someone else.
I didn’t mean ownership ... in spite of the fact that Rick Hendrick has equity in Jr Motorsports.

I was thinking more in terms of a Gibbs / 23X1 relationship.

It doesn't do any harm, but I just have no desire to see Jimmie be beyond mediocre at something he was a master of. The last couple years of his full time career were painful enough for me.
If it doesn't bother Jimmie, I don't see why it should bother anyone else. No impact on my life in any way.

It's 2022. It's possible to live outside NC or even the US most of the year and still be a hands-on active owner.

It's 2022. It's possible to live outside NC or even the US most of the year and still be a hands-on active owner.
Yes, it's possible, but not terribly practical in my opinion. If you want to have a meaningful impact, you need to be at the track MOST weeks and at the shop often too. Otherwise you are just a stockholder. I think Jeff Gordon is leading by example there.

Richard Petty turned laps well past his prime for about a good 8 years.

No one said a word.
I did, it was truly sad to me to see the King struggling to even make races. The sport was growing by leaps and bounds at the time and there were a LOT of fans that never saw a competitive Richard Petty on the track.

I think the grief is over at this point. Nothing he can do will ruin his legacy. It's good for the sport for him to invest in ownership, and it's good for the marketing, and general fanbase to watch him and hope he can run competitively in a few races.

There's nothing to lose here really. It's good for the sport. If not the driving part, the ownership and presence is.

Johnson is known world wide in racing circles and has many contacts in other racing disciplines. I wouldn't be surprised if some of his buds will scrape up a bit of skin to drive a Nascar in certain events. An All Star car of sorts.

Back
Top Bottom