Storage building

Building the toolset required to get the transmission done.

Attachments

• IMG_20231213_121242936.jpg
    IMG_20231213_121242936.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 28
You must have enough money tied up in the rebuild to have had it rebuilt or by a rebuild from GM. Holy sheet!!

You must have enough money tied up in the rebuild to have had it rebuilt or by a rebuild from GM. Holy sheet!!
Builder in Washington State gets $955 for his kit. Then you have to add the torque converter (200ish and pray/lots of junk out there) & $125-150ish of fluid. A reman from a parts store runs 1600-2000ish. I've spent maybe 400 for tools & two core trans. Plan is to build & sell one. Have only torn one down. Wasn't much in it reusable. Hoping don't find the same with the other although found couple eBay shops selling used parts with guarantee. The parts washer is a necessity to do much of any kind of work. I'm thinking, once I get fully prepared and do one or two, probably just pull & rebuild mine. It's still working fine. Just shifts getting a little softer. Plus mileage is adding up.

Problem with buying a rebuilt is...who rebuilt it? What did they actually replace? Probably the bare minimum of parts. Main thing is I don't trust anyone else's work. Even if I spend same as purchasing one, at least I'll KNOW how mine was done. Maybe take 2 hours to pull the trans laying on the ground. I ain't doing anything else.

These trans are 20ish years old. (96-2013?) TONS of them out there in Tahoe/Suburban/Pickups. Might do couple month and make enough to buy a new pink Cadillac.

The Flu---Do NOT recommend. Been avoiding people like the plague and the park owner brought over a big ole bowl of it. He said he'd been really sick but didn't seem to get the hint when I kept backing away from him. 4 hours later my eyeballs were trying to leave my skull. Then it got worse. Haven't been sick in 15 or so years if you don't count the 2016 bout of pneumonia. I swear, this was worse. How can your head be so hot your foam pillow melted and being vibrating from chills at same time? Had 5 layers of clothes, all the blankets I own, super thick sleeping bag over me. I was hot & cold at same time.

Then the looping fever dreams started. Stumble to bathroom...soon as closed eyes in bed, back into same MAD Magazine dream.

Plus the fact that when they figure out time travel, gonna be related to the Flu. Crawl from recliner to bedroom. "Sleep" 4 hours, go to drain the main vein, look at phone...it's actually only been18 minutes. Like the Jodie Foster movie Contact. Your perception is totally different than reality. NOT GOOD DRUGS!

Did put this together today. None of it is tight. Threaded some together by hand then couldn't get it apart to tape it. Need to get wrenches from shed. Maybe tomorrow. Vacuum test fixture. Still need a vacuum pump.

Attachments

• IMG_20240108_095936874.jpg
    IMG_20240108_095936874.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
The flu sucks. I recall having the Asian Flu, an epidemic that flooded the country in the late nineteen fifties. It took all the starch out of me plus anything else that might have provided energy. Flat on my back for two weeks then woke one morning feeling fit as a fiddle and decided to go back to work. Not my brightest decision. DUMB!:dunce: Put me back in bed for another week. Of course, that was sixty years ago and not sure what point medical science had reached or what meds, if any, were available then.
Get flu shots every year and try to keep up to date with everything else. It's a fragile time of life for an old fart. Anyway, hope you feel better and are getting up and around. If I was closer I'd bring you a bowl of chicken soup. ;)

The flu sucks. I recall having the Asian Flu, an epidemic that flooded the country in the late nineteen fifties. It took all the starch out of me plus anything else that might have provided energy. Flat on my back for two weeks then woke one morning feeling fit as a fiddle and decided to go back to work. Not my brightest decision. DUMB!:dunce: Put me back in bed for another week. Of course, that was sixty years ago and not sure what point medical science had reached or what meds, if any, were available then.
Get flu shots every year and try to keep up to date with everything else. It's a fragile time of life for an old fart. Anyway, hope you feel better and are getting up and around. If I was closer I'd bring you a bowl of chicken soup. ;)
You are the only person on this board I would take said bowl from without being concerned about it having been whizzed in.

Ironic considering your username.

I'm 90% up to par. Everyone I've mentioned this strain of flu to says takes couple weeks to get past the cough/chest situation. Guess I'll likely survive.

The user name is the result of the days of yore when I started stock car races. During one wild restart one of the racers came right toward me and I ducked behind a sand pile fronted with upright railroad ties. The announcer said, "Wow! Look at Ken whiz behind that safety berm. He "whizzed" outa sight in a hurry."

Paraphrased of course as it took place 64 years ago. ;)

Bought six treated 2x8 off Marketplace. 50 bucks. Four are 12 foot, two 10 foot. So guess extension WILL be 10x12. Priced some of the other stuff will need @ 500ish dollar right across the road. Unfortunately doesn't include the outer sheeting, 9 sheets of T111 or something similar, around 300 buckeroos. OUCH!

Didn't plan to use 2x8 for the band board for floor but whatever. Since got those, 2x6 for floor joices. Probably wait till May to start wasting wood.

Boards? Thought had another picture but it don't matter. Could easily stand up and take one but would require effort. Not worth the hassle.

Attachments

• IMG_20240322_132821046.jpg
    IMG_20240322_132821046.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Just curious but are you putting down two treated runners ( 6 x 6 ) then placing floor joist or are you figuring on putting 2 x 6 treated direct contact with the ground? I would think it would be easier to level it up with runners but I'm a novice and know zilch about building a shed.

Just curious but are you putting down two treated runners ( 6 x 6 ) then placing floor joist or are you figuring on putting 2 x 6 treated direct contact with the ground? I would think it would be easier to level it up with runners but I'm a novice and know zilch about building a shed.
Runners. Probably 4x4 as think that's what's under original shed. They will be on some sort of concrete blocks so floor joist will be footish off ground. Original shed is on half-blocks with Oak wedge shims to level. Have 12 of these but be harder to level.
IMG_20240322_182251554.jpg

After some thought, since the floor will be bolted to the band board of OG shed can probably get away with maybe half dozen of those blocks? Build a squarish floor frame, with couple diagonal braces so doesn't fall apart being moved a little, bolt that to back of shed. Figure out the support blocks as add joists? With these blocks probably don't even need the runners. Should be about right height especially since using 2x8's. I'll be out there doing something next week if it quits raining. Will screw stuff together to start. Then when all figured out, NAIL GUN!!!

Shed was basically sitting on ground at previous location. I'd bet close to 20 years. Held up pretty well considering. Needs about 8" of siding replaced. I'll cut that 8ish inches of siding off and attach the new floor directly to band board of back wall. Will end up with 22 foot shed. Appears skids/runners are rough cut 2x4 sistered together? Lumber company is right across the road so easy enough to get materials quickly.

First picture is side. Can see where the floor is as siding is rotted from being in the weeds. About 6 inches up from bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_20240322_184552566.jpg
    IMG_20240322_184552566.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240322_184608899.jpg
    IMG_20240322_184608899.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240322_184616896.jpg
    IMG_20240322_184616896.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 12
Meh. Where the floor is doesn't really show up in pictures. It's where you see some holes popping thru T111. I can't tell is the runners are 4x4 or sistered 2x4 but really doesn't matter. If it ever gets moved, it's because I died.

I won't care if it crumbs like house of cards then.

Original shed floor is 2x6 band boards 2x4 joist.

Back
Top Bottom