The changes have arrived.

I wish the segments were 25%, 25%, 50%. Allows for fuel milage in the final stage.

I wish the segments were 25%, 25%, 50%. Allows for fuel milage in the final stage.
I think that's what we'll wind up with, although I haven't seen any official numbers from NASCAR yet. I did see a quote that the first two stages would be the same size, and that the second stage would end around halfway, so in theory that's 25-25-50.

Personally, I'd prefer 20-20-60. That strikes me as a better balance between sprints and endurance.

I just feel bad for the drivers, crew, merch folks shop guys etc who are watching their livelihood devolve into an abomination.

Keep making that rule book fatter. It just gives ol' Cheatin' Chad more wiggle room, more loopholes to find and exploit.

Then why come to a Nascar forum and complain.
I don't watch hockey anymore so I don't complain about it either.
I have been a member of this forum since 2003, almost 14 years. TRL has done a great job here. I still remember Kat who was a valuable member of the forum. I started 2 threads that were pretty popular:

1. Nascar Trivia (which, like me, has probably outlived its time here).
2. The "Rate The Race" thread which is still going strong.

But, after reading your post I guess that I probably don't belong here anymore. My interest in Nascar currently isn't as strong as it once was. So, I won't bother you with any more posts.

I have been a member of this forum since 2003, almost 14 years. TRL has done a great job here. I still remember Kat who was a valuable member of the forum. I started 2 threads that were pretty popular:

But, after reading your post I guess that I probably don't belong here anymore. My interest in Nascar currently isn't as strong as it once was. So, I won't bother you with any more posts.

Whoa whoa whoa, you aren't allowed to go anywhere. The Rate the Race thread is very useful and interesting.
I am trying very hard not to be negative about these changes and I plan to watch the first couple of races to see how it plays out, so I hope you will join me in giving the new format a chance for the sport that we love.

I think I have typed up about 10 posts already but have not actually posted anything because they were all negative, but my negativity is not going to change anything. I will be in the shadows for a while but I intend to watch and give the format a chance. I see a ton of unintended consequences with these new changes that were obviously never thought thru by the creators, but I'm not going to talk about any of that and I'm just going to watch (and try to remain silent/positive) for as long as I can. Let's not forget the Rolex 24 is this weekend!!!

This would have been a great format for the Truck and Xfinity series. However, NASCAR has always been about endurance and I feel like all Cup races should be 3+ hour races without any "breaks" or "entertainment" manipulation.
Hasn't been that way in years. Many track workers can't tell the difference between metal and a hot dog wrapper.

Don't go anywhere. As with most of us you're either a hoot or a pain in the butt but definitely an asset.
Also I was happy to take over the Rate The Race threads when asked to.

That is what the segments are.

Going off this, 25% of a 400 mile race is still just longer than a fuel run, so I don't think long-run speed and even fuel mileage is completely dead. For the 500 milers it's far longer. However, NASCAR said they would be tweaking the segments left to "deal with fuel mileage", whatever that means. I THINK it means they will lengthen the segments on the shorter races to ensure one pit-stop cycle per segment, since at 25% of a common 400 mile race = 66 1.5 mile laps which is conceivably within the range of stretching it.

Going off this, 25% of a 400 mile race is still just longer than a fuel run, so I don't think long-run speed and even fuel mileage is completely dead. For the 500 milers it's far longer. However, NASCAR said they would be tweaking the segments left to "deal with fuel mileage", whatever that means. I THINK it means they will lengthen the segments on the shorter races to ensure one pit-stop cycle per segment, since at 25% of a common 400 mile race = 66 1.5 mile laps which is conceivably within the range of stretching it.
It should be possible to do 25% on a fuel run at Bristol, M'ville, Phoenix, and NH (races around or less than 300 miles). I'm not sure about Sonoma or the Glen. Everywhere else is 400 miles or longer, so 25% should be more than a full tank will carry.

Has it been announced if this format will apply to the Duels?

From the press conference the other night.....

The Duels at Daytona will now actually pay points, so the top-10 finishers for each of the duels will receive the same points as a stage winner, the ten, the nine, the eight, all the way down to one. It does not qualify as a stage win, but it does pay out regular-season points

Link to the entire press conference transcript.

It should be possible to do 25% on a fuel run at Bristol, M'ville, Phoenix, and NH (races around or less than 300 miles). I'm not sure about Sonoma or the Glen. Everywhere else is 400 miles or longer, so 25% should be more than a full tank will carry.

I think they said the duels will be just one segment and award segment points at the end like they announced. So I guess those are two races that won't change.

Looking at Bristol and M'ville, I'm not sure even 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 length segments will be long enough to guarantee a pit stop. Correct me on my math if I'm wrong, but 1/3 of a 500 lap race at Bristol is 166 laps or 83 miles roughly. Fuel window is about 150 laps. Wouldn't it be pretty easy to stay out under a caution or two and stretch that the whole way?

I think that's what we'll wind up with, although I haven't seen any official numbers from NASCAR yet. I did see a quote that the first two stages would be the same size, and that the second stage would end around halfway, so in theory that's 25-25-50.

Personally, I'd prefer 20-20-60. That strikes me as a better balance between sprints and endurance.

From the press conference the other night.....

The Duels at Daytona will now actually pay points, so the top-10 finishers for each of the duels will receive the same points as a stage winner, the ten, the nine, the eight, all the way down to one. It does not qualify as a stage win, but it does pay out regular-season points

Link to the entire press conference transcript.
I got that. I meant would the Duels be run in stages. I didn't ask my question clearly; my apologies.

As a LONG TIME (1959) race fan, I've had about enough of NASCARs crazy once-a month rules changes.
I think I'll just switch to the golf channel... and ask Charlotte Motor Speedway if I there's any way I can have my 50 Year Club plaque that's on the wall there.

I guess Brian France read that Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus was closing down, so the head clown, Brian "Emmett Kelly" France decided he's pick up where they left off.
NASCAR needs to go back to racing CARS that actually resemble what they're supposed to be representing, dump the ludicrous Chase, and go back to the original points racing system.

So, are there like two points system now? Because I keep seeing race points and playoff points as if there's two different points system now.

So, are there like two points system now? Because I keep seeing race points and playoff points as if there's two different points system now.
Playoff points are just the bonus points from stage wins, race wins, and regular season points finish that carry into and through the Playoff.

So let me see if I have this straight.

• At the end of each stage, the Top 10 drivers will get points. The winner of that stage will get bonus points, kind of like bonus points for leading the most lap or whatever.
  • The race winner also gets bonus points, so same as usual?
  • These points carry over up to the end of Round of 8 but don't carry over to Homestead.
Is that about right?

Oh my jesus. What in the actual ****.

The duels are ALREADY segmented races. Its literally called "the twin 125s".
Not at all. Each Duel is a separate race. Each has half of the cars qualified for the D500. There is no overlap between the fields. The outcome one race has no effect on the outcome of the second.

Hard to imagine the Daytona duels being cut up into segments. That's just wrong.
The excitement level of those races dropped tremendously when guaranteed starting spots where handed out like candy. If anything, dividing it up into segments would probably give it a much needed shot in the arm. Especially now that they are paying points. I'm okay with it.

Well I'll put in my 2 cents worth. I just found and joined this forum yesterday but I've been a Nascar fan for nearly 50 years. I think the segments can be a good thing. I know a lot of people who don't watch Nascar because they don't have the attention span. They can't even sit through a 200 lap late model race at out local track. Even I tend to nod off in the middle of a 500 mile race. I think the playoff points are good to keep what happened to Martin Truex last year from happening after running so good all year. That's one thing I never liked about the chase that 1 bad race could knock someone out after they've run good all year.

So 15-15-30.

hair_2_204v.gif

Well I'll put in my 2 cents worth. I just found and joined this forum yesterday but I've been a Nascar fan for nearly 50 years. I think the segments can be a good thing. I know a lot of people who don't watch Nascar because they don't have the attention span. They can't even sit through a 200 lap late model race at out local track. Even I tend to nod off in the middle of a 500 mile race. I think the playoff points are good to keep what happened to Martin Truex last year from happening after running so good all year. That's one thing I never liked about the chase that 1 bad race could knock someone out after they've run good all year.
Welcome!

Good to see you here. Welcome to an old timer who isn't afraid of a little change.
I swear some on here still wear long johns with the trap door all year round.:sarcasm:

I belong to a couple of hunting and fishing forums also. When the subject of Nascar comes up there is little interest. There are always posts by people who claim to have been fans in the past but don't like any change. Some still think the cars should be showroom stock. They don't get how many drivers would be maimed or killed without today's safety improvements. Not to mention how poor the racing would be because of the huge discrepancy in horsepower and handling.

Back
Top Bottom