The Food thread

I have a buddy at work that I make this salsa for. His abuelita is here from Mexico for the holidays. She began making the tamales today and I will get a large batch on Tuesday. :)
All three...beef, chicken and carnitas.

I have a buddy at work that I make this salsa for. His abuelita is here from Mexico for the holidays. She began making the tamales today and I will get a large batch on Tuesday. :)
All three...beef, chicken and carnitas.
I'll be there monday.
hungry.gif

I am enjoying some not so delicious comfort food. A Superior hot dog on a Giant Eagle store brand bun with the absolute best bar-b-q chips around, Dan-Dee on the side

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

I am enjoying some not so delicious comfort food. A Superior hot dog on a Giant Eagle store brand bun with the absolute best bar-b-q chips around, Dan-Dee on the side

My hours at work have been cut back to 40 a week....... so...... I'm gonna' get real familiar with hot dogs and bologna for a while....... saltine crackers are cheap.......

My hours at work have been cut back to 40 a week....... so...... I'm gonna' get real familiar with hot dogs and bologna for a while....... saltine crackers are cheap.......
I totalled my latest car so I have nothing to drive Uber with which is what I have been doing for a living for the last 5 months so I have absolutely nothing coming in. My girl has 5 packs of hot dogs in the fridge. I have been getting comfy with them

Had a good laugh when I saw the photo of the Almonds. The youngest son was home in Oct. for the oldest son's wedding... Youngest son is a very good cook and he bought a bunch of almonds.... blanched 'em and added a bunch of stuff and put 'em in the oven..... Was saying how great they were going to be..... We then went out onto the patio to have a beer.... some of his friends came over and after a while I went back into the house...... whole kitchen was full of smoke...... almonds were blacker than the ace of spades..... took a couple of hours to clear the house of smoke...... :eek:

These are boneless dry aged Prime rib eye steaks that will get put on the grill at 5 pm our time. They'll land on the plate shortly afterwards along with black eyed peas, collard greens and cornbread. :D

upload_2018-1-1_10-57-9.png

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!!!

Black Eyed peas and smoked ham hocks. Black eyes soaked for 6 hours, then crock pot cooked on low with the Smoked Ham Hock for 14 hours, put over premium white rice, glass of tea and hot corn bread and butter. MMMMM MMMMMM MMMMM!!!!:D Our annual Florida tradition.

Black eyed peas New Years 2018.jpg

It's a Southern tradition to have black eyed peas and ham hocks or hog jowl on New years for good luck.... (I know other regions have different traditions..... like Clam Chowder or whatever)..... Well ...... let me tell you first off the wife and I love blackeyed peas and ham hocks...... but..... being she is from the Northwest..... she had never heard of the tradition..... New Years day 1998..... we cooked up a big bunch....... Worst year we ever had since we have been married...... and we've been married 39 years as of now. She has sworn since that year we would cook them any day of the year except New Years........ LOL....... I have joked about it to my older sister several times..... (she is adamant about cooking them..... she says our grandma would spin in her grave if she thought we didn't)........ She tells me..... ''Well..... just think about how bad it might have been had you NOT cooked them'' ....... LOL.........

She might have a point........

So I got the damn flu :mad:
I've been trying to consume as much vitamin C as possible. I came up with this tomato soup idea.
I melted 3/4 stick of butter in a stock pot, added a medium diced yellow onion, 3 stalks of diced celery, 3 small organic diced carrots, 1, 6oz can of tomato paste and simmered long enough to cook the tart out of the tomato paste. Spread the mixture to the sides of the pot, added another 2 tbs of butter and cooked 3 tbs of AP flour in the center of the pot. When the flour was done added 14 oz can of chicken broth, salt & pepper and set to simmer.
Meanwhile, drained a 28 oz can of Cento plum tomatoes and 14.5 oz can of S&W Italian stewed tomatoes retaining the sauce from both. Diced the tomatoes from both cans with kitchen shears and added the tomato sauce from both cans to the pot and 8 ozs of water with one dissolved tsp of Chicken Better Than Broth. I then boat motored the broth, adding half cup of heavy whipping cream and half of the retained diced tomato. Then added the remaining diced tomato, 1 tbs dried basil and 1 tbs dried oregano and simmer 15 minutes.
I have Sargento medium cheddar and Sargento Colby Jack with San Luis fresh sliced sourdough for the grilled cheese.

I have been getting back into soups lately with it being colder than a well digger's ass here lately. I've been eating everything from chicken noodle to bean with bacon. I don't have my whole kitchen set up like I did before so I am just doing the Campbell's stuff but it's amazing how that stuff hits the spot when you are freezing your ass off.

Bacon with a side of eggs and toast :D
Exactly. I have to admit that was only about a third of the bacon I made. I bought the bacon in the meat department because it looked a lot better than the packed stuff did and even on sale it looked to be about the same price. Nice thick cut and really good.

And the whole meal is going down really well with some old school Miller High Life. I drink a fair amount of higher end beer but I still like my old school stuff from time to time.

I coined the term "bearclaw." It is the cutting of the connective tissue in about one inch intervals on the outer edge of a cut of meat; like pork loin chops or several similar cuts of beef. The goal is to eliminate the curling of the meat during grilling or frying when the outer connective tissue shrinks faster than the muscle.
Grilled bearclawed New York steak and peas & corn.

With veggies...

Back
Top Bottom