Tony Stewart running over someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get the video looking clearer than a Picaso, but I'm sure I'm seeing what I posted.

I tweeted a link to some nascar media on the subject. Maybe they have the experts to really clear up that video.

Nascar is going to be blamed for the whole deal by folks that know nothing about racing, everything that Tony does reflects on Nascars image

Yes it does and it's hopefully those in the media who know something about Nascar and auto sports will attempt to set the public straight by presenting facts instead of going on a witch hunt.

Someone is going to have to step up and take control of the situation before any more misinformation gets spread around.

Yes it does and it's hopefully those in the media who know something about Nascar and auto sports will attempt to set the public straight by presenting facts instead of going on a witch hunt.

Someone is going to have to step up and take control of the situation before any more misinformation gets spread around.

I agree but I dont expect that we will be seeing anything sensible on the news any time soon. The only plus is that the media will forget about this in another day or two and move on to something else.

I agree but I dont expect that we will be seeing anything sensible on the news any time soon. The only plus is that the media will forget about this in another day or two and move on to something else.
After Johnny Manziel's next preseason game, ESPN will go back to taking about how amazing Johnny Manziel is :sarcasm:

He's the best quarterback ever. Nevermind that Blake Bortles was the highest drafted QB and actually surpassed expectations in his preseason debut.

Well hell Andy, its no wonder I dont know who he is, you know I despise anything "stick and ball"

I figure the sport of racing that I have known and loved for most of my life will never be the same. I don't know why Tony was chosen to bare this cross, I just hope he can survive it.

I can see some liable and defamation suits spawning out of this whole mess. Wards aunt, is way out of control and if I didn't know better I'd say someone put this kid up to "taking on a champion" just from statements I've read. How pathetic!.............

Err, Ward wasn't hit with the rear tire first, so the swinging rear end theory doesn't hold water. The car doesn't have to swing the right rear out when being gassed and turned. The car turns left under torque because of the huge tire stagger. Right rear travels further than the left rear for each axel revolution.

Well, if he was only hit with the front tire he might not be dead.

Regardless here's an eyewitness account:

“Tony came around … the back end slid out, and he definitely caught him – I couldn’t tell if it was with the front or the back of the car… The body made contact with the car and went sliding across the track,”

Got that?

"the back end slid out, and he definitely caught him"

The back end sliding out definitely happened, you can see it in the freeze frame. It certainly could have made a bad situation worse by extending the time and force of a spinning right rear tire in contact with Ward.

Regardless here's an eyewitness account:

“Tony came around … the back end slid out, and he definitely caught him – I couldn’t tell if it was with the front or the back of the car… The body made contact with the car and went sliding across the track,”

Got that?

"the back end slid out, and he definitely caught him"

The back end sliding out definitely happened, you can see it in the freeze frame. It certainly could have made a bad situation worse by extending the time and force of a spinning right rear tire in contact with Ward.
I think the back end sliding out only happened because a person was caught up in the car. It didn't happen till the car obscures ward and had likely already struck.

I figure the sport of racing that I have known and loved for most of my life will never be the same. I don't know why Tony was chosen to bare this cross, I just hope he can survive it.

I can see some liable and defamation suits spawning out of this whole mess. Wards aunt, is way out of control and if I didn't know better I'd say someone put this kid up to "taking on a champion" just from statements I've read. How pathetic!.............

If this goes to a gold digger situation it will take on a whole new kind of ugly. The sport does not need that.

Because he's not Dale Jr., Jimmie Johnson, or Jeff Gordon.

If this goes to a gold digger situation it will take on a whole new kind of ugly. The sport does not need that.

I don't think it will. Unless things have changed drastically when you get a sanction or track license you basically give up everything and accept full responsibility for yourself. You have to prove negligence on the part of the track and or drivers.
Not to say the track, the sanctioning body and even Tony won't pay something to make it go away, it'll be something but not gold digger mega bucks.

I don't think it will. Unless things have changed drastically when you get a sanction or track license you basically give up everything and accept full responsibility for yourself. You have to prove negligence on the part of the track and or drivers.
Not to say the track, the sanctioning body and even Tony won't pay something to make it go away, it'll be something but not gold digger mega bucks.

I just worry about Tony's state of mind.....this has the possibility of messing a person up...BAD.

Maybe already posted but this is a screenshot of the current Drudge report.
Screenshot_2014-08-11-11-57-31.png

i already have my mind made up on this. guilty. also think he needs some jail time.
he's a known hot head. the young man didn't even have his helmet off to throw at Tony.
as far as Ward leaving his car, thus making it all his fault is BS. he grew up seeing
that's how it's handled. i don't have a clue as to how these cars react when they are
gased, but it seems to me Tony was going to fast and got to close for him not to be in
the wrong. he was still going high after striking ward, but i don't know if that how
a car would reacts. it just seemed to me Tony went to far and it backfired. i can't
see his sponsors sticking with him thru this, remember Tiger Woods and nobody died.
i for one will slegehammer my diecast of his, just as i did with burning my OJ football
cards.

i already have my mind made up on this. guilty. also think he needs some jail time.
he's a known hot head. the young man didn't even have his helmet off to throw at Tony.
as far as Ward leaving his car, thus making it all his fault is BS. he grew up seeing
that's how it's handled. i don't have a clue as to how these cars react when they are
gased, but it seems to me Tony was going to fast and got to close for him not to be in
the wrong. he was still going high after striking ward, but i don't know if that how
a car would reacts. it just seemed to me Tony went to far and it backfired. i can't
see his sponsors sticking with him thru this, remember Tiger Woods and nobody died.
i for one will slegehammer my diecast of his, just as i did with burning my OJ football
cards.
That's not going to be a very popular position to take but if that's where you stand, so be it.

I wouldn't want to be Tony.
I have no doubt in my mind that this was nothing but a tragic accident. But, like I said before. Tony wears this label now forever. He'll forever be remembered as the NASCAR driver that killed a kid on a dirt track. It's unfortunate because he is one of the greatest race car drivers of all time. USAC, IRL, NASCAR, etc.

cards.

Except you might be forgetting the part where most of Tiger's sponsors returned after initially distancing themselves from him. One thing we have learned about major corporations is that in most cases, all they really care about is their bottom line. If sponsoring Tony helps them sell and remain profitable, then they will stand by him or rejoin him after the news is quickly brushed aside for the next big story.

Personally I think he'll be completely exonerated of any wrong doing. Like it or not the justice system is not fair and equal for all. If you are a person of great wealth like Tony, you have tools at your disposal that others wouldn't necessarily have. In this instance Tony is going to lawyer up, and he's going to have every reason imaginable argued for him and why it was an accident. Poor lighting, driver carelessly walked onto track, steering of dirt car, all these and more reasons why he shouldn't be held liable. He's got millions of dollars to make this go away, and that's exactly what I expect him to do.

I work in the Canadian judicial system and unfortunately this is a reality that we live with. My understanding and through the interaction with some of my colleagues south of the border, I'm told it is even more prevalent in the American judicial system. It's completely unfair that people with means are better able and equipped to defend themselves during these types of situations but this is the cold hard truth. As it relates to Tony, I'm quite sure he probably already has multiple lawyers working towards a settlement and clearing himself of any culpability.

On a personal note, my condolences go out to the family and friends. It was tragic and preventable, however racing is inherently dangerous and all those who participate know the risks and must live with the consequences.

Well, if I had said he was hit ONLY with the front tire, this would mean something.

Got that now?

You miss the point. initial contact was with the right front wheel, NOT the right rear.

Except you might be forgetting the part where most of Tiger's sponsors returned after initially distancing themselves from him. One thing we have learned about major corporations is that in most cases, all they really care about is their bottom line. If sponsoring Tony helps them sell and remain profitable, then they will stand by him or rejoin him after the news is quickly brushed aside for the next big story.

Personally I think he'll be completely exonerated of any wrong doing. Like it or not the justice system is not fair and equal for all. If you are a person of great wealth like Tony, you have tools at your disposal that others wouldn't necessarily have. In this instance Tony is going to lawyer up, and he's going to have every reason imaginable argued for him and why it was an accident. Poor lighting, driver carelessly walked onto track, steering of dirt car, all these and more reasons why he shouldn't be held liable. He's got millions of dollars to make this go away, and that's exactly what I expect him to do.

I work in the Canadian judicial system and unfortunately this is a reality that we live with. My understanding and through the interaction with some of my colleagues south of the border, I'm told it is even more prevalent in the American judicial system. It's completely unfair that people with means are better able and equipped to defend themselves during these types of situations but this is the cold hard truth. As it relates to Tony, I'm quite sure he probably already has multiple lawyers working towards a settlement and clearing himself of any culpability.

On a personal note, my condolences go out to the family and friends. It was tragic and preventable, however racing is inherently dangerous and all those who participate know the risks and must live with the consequences.
a sad truth.

I'll say this:

As my username indicates, I'm a wrestling fan. Every time a wrestler dies or if anything out of the ordinary happens, the mainstream media comes out with pitchforks and spews misinformation. Not that this is on that level, but find some of the footage of the coverage of the Chris Benoit situation, no one anywhere knew what they were talking about.

I can't wait until Tony Stewart is feeling well enough, mentally, to speak to the media. I'm sure he'll have some really nice things to say about the mainstream media. LOL.

cards.
Hopefully you're not ever picked for jury duty since you have tried and convicted Tony Stewart without all of the facts.

This is actually one of the most fair media reports that I've seen so far! They did not imply Tony did this intentionally unlike most reports.

My only problem with it was they didn't re-emphasize that his "I'm going to run [Kenseth] over" comment as part of a different confrontation, but it was aired with clips of other previous confrontations, so the average veiwer should recognize it as part of a different incident.

EDIT: Did you mean to link to a different video? I clicked on another MSNBC video about this incident, and it was pretty disgusting towards Tony.

Last edited:
Wait until he's asked about it at a NASCAR press conference. He don't have to talk about the incident itself to rip the media a new ess whole.

His answer will be "I decline to comment on this matter." Any show of anger and he's handing over evidence to the plaintiffs.

Tony has to tread lightly here. He has a pending civil suit an argument could be made to indict him for 2nd degree manslaughter. I didn't say that there's enough for him to lose either matter. Tony deserves a fair trial on all accounts and has to make sure that he doesn't jeopardize that by opening his mouth.

Hopefully you're not ever picked for jury duty since you have tried and convicted Tony Stewart without all of the facts.
i agree 100%. not sure what kind of facts there could be to change it, unless a video turns up showing me him jumping under his car. then i will say i was completely wrong.

His answer will be "I decline to comment on this matter." Any show of anger and he's handing over evidence to the plaintiffs.

Tony has to tread lightly here. He has a pending civil suit an argument could be made to indict him for 2nd degree manslaughter. I didn't say that there's enough for him to lose either matter. Tony deserves a fair trial on all accounts and has to make sure that he doesn't jeopardize that by opening his mouth.

I wish one of the media outlets would invite someone from the racing community on so we could rip them to shreds.

Maybe already posted but this is a screenshot of the current Drudge report.
I just cannot get over the sheer ignorance of the people in the media that are taking that Stewart quote about running Matt Kenseth over completely out of context - as if Stewart was some dude that was quietly simmering beneath the surface, had literally threatened to run a guy down with his car, and finally reached his breaking point and got it done on Saturday night. Really? Does every single tragedy that happens have to come with warning signs or be the result of some malevolent pattern? Good Lord.

I just cannot get over the sheer ignorance of the people in the media that are taking that Stewart quote about running Matt Kenseth over completely out of context - as if Stewart was some dude that was quietly simmering beneath the surface, had literally threatened to run a guy down with his car, and finally reached his breaking point and got it done on Saturday night. Really? Does every single tragedy that happens have to come with warning signs or be the result of some malevolent pattern? Good Lord.

Part of the problem is that people like patterns, it makes us feel like we can stop bad things from happening in the future. Stewart is an easy person to fit into that narrative because there IS a pattern of aggression.

I can't wait until Tony Stewart is feeling well enough, mentally, to speak to the media. I'm sure he'll have some really nice things to say about the mainstream media. LOL.

If they would research his history with they would probably think before typing. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom