Tony Stewart running over someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coors didn't leave Sterling after the death of Sr.
I see no reason why a cup sponsor would leave because of this accident in a sprint car.
Did Petty lose sponsors when his drag car went into the crowd and killed a 11 year old boy?
Those were different times.

As @Greg just said, it's all about PR, and social media has significantly amplified that. Sponsors have left teams for far less, i.e. Richmond/MWR last year.

Ok, first off, a**hole ain't much different from a**wipe...let's see how that plays out, k?

Anyhow, I don't see anyone doing anything more than speculating on here, yourself included. No one of us know what 'thoughts were harbored' by anyone involved. Not me, not you either.

Just use your head for something more than a place to sit on.

One of the worst nights of sleep I can remember. Thought that waking up today might spell this thing out to me more. It didn't. This is still surreal.

It sucks.

But personally, it's not surreal for me at all. It's what happens when you have the best of the best racing with average joes. It's why NASCAR needs to stop letting NSCS regulars race in the NNS series. The talent gap is less, but there is still a large one.

Hopefully this is the wakeup call NASCAR needs.

Just use your head for something more than a place to sit on.

You need your own sitcom, slick. Because that's really clever.

But yeah, anyhow, this whole thing has me off kilter, too. At the end of the day, I hate it like hell for all involved. That's the flat truth.

If sponsors bail on Tony they are weak and don't belong in the sport. It ain't beach volleyball.

It sucks.

But personally, it's not surreal for me at all. It's what happens when you have the best of the best racing with average joes. It's why NASCAR needs to stop letting NSCS regulars race in the NNS series. The talent gap is less, but there is still a large one.

Hopefully this is the wakeup call NASCAR needs.
I don't know if we'll see NASCAR ban Cup guys from NNS and NCWTS, but I think the days of Cup drivers running in non-NASCAR sanctioned events may be over. NASCAR had absolutely nothing to do with what happened last night, yet they're still going to be subject to a lot of scrutiny because one of their stars was involved.

I don't know if we'll see NASCAR ban Cup guys from NNS and NCWTS, but I think the days of Cup drivers running in non-NASCAR sanctioned events may be over. NASCAR had absolutely nothing to do with what happened last night, yet they're still going to be subject to a lot of scrutiny because one of their stars was involved.

I know we won't. Cause we'll have the stars bitch and moan about it if we did.

But we should.

I don't see how that could be possible. The drivers belong to no union / organization and work independently, NASCAR would not be within their limits to regulate what other series they can participate in.

I don't see how that could be possible. The drivers belong to no union / organization and work independently, NASCAR would not be within their limits to regulate what other series they can participate in.

But they might could pressure owners to make it a contract stipulation. Yes I know Tony is an owner too.
Just noting that there are ways to enforce unwritten rules, it could happen in one form or another.

Personally I wouldn't like the limitations, but Nascar likes control.

The RTA is starting to make more sense as there is no governing body for the drivers as NASCAR is a stand alone business and has no legal right in it's ability to control drivers. If this somehow hurts NASCAR and their partners my feelings wouldn't be hurt.

I don't think NASCAR themselves will have to do anything. As @Greg alluded to, I'm sure the sponsors will be more tentative now about associating themselves with someone who runs 100 Sprint Car races a year on top of their Cup schedule.

It's quite simple, NASCAR says if you want to compete for the NSCS championship, you can't drive in another other racing events. It's actually where there not being a Drivers Union helps them.

It won't happen, but it damn well should.

I love how all the headlines read "tony stewart kills driver in confrontation"... ******* asses speaking like he shot the guy dead.
The headlines and the articles infuriates me too. Tony Stewart did nothing wrong and he did not make the decisions for Kevin Ward last night. I feel bad the young man lost his life, who couldn't but at the end of the day he made the decisions that led up to it. The only deliberate acts were Kevin Ward's last night, not Tony Stewart's.

The way Nhra did it a few years ago was by only allowing 4 test sessions per year. If a driver drove at a race outside of Nhra it was still considered a test session. They have since changed that rule back and are allowing unlimited testing. So, now drivers can race as much as they want.

I definitely do not want to see the drivers banned from racing in other events outside of Nascar. But, i would like to see them come down hard on any driver that gets out of their car on the track to show their anger at another driver.

I definitely do not want to see the drivers banned from racing in other events outside of Nascar. But, i would like to see them come down hard on any driver that gets out of their car on the track to show their anger at another driver.
Sometimes common sense isn't so common, especially in the heat of the moment. Hopefully, something good can come out of this tragedy, be it rules imposed that a driver cannot get out of the car until track safety crews arrive or something as simple as a renewed awareness of the dangers of being a pedestrian in the racing groove.

I'm sure this incident will change things.. If the kid isn't on the track, Tony probably wouldn't have felt the need to swerve into him

Are you suggesting that Stewart deliberately swerved into Ward?
Sadly, I think Tony's emotions got the best of him. I don't think he intended to kill the boy but I do think he drove at him on purpose to try and scare him

I know anyone that's watching the race has already seen this, but...

Stewart issues statement: "There aren't words to describe the sadness I feel about the accident that took the life of Kevin Ward Jr. It's a very emotional time for all involved,and it is the reason I've decided not to participate in today's race at Watkins Glen. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and everyone affected by this tragedy."(Stewart-Haas Racing)(8-10-2014)

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20140810f

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom