Toyota teams sandbagging?

So two cars have been able to pass any car at any time whenever they want for weeks dominating races. They all of sudden don't show up with as much speed at a track that speed is king. Coincidently at the track that nascar typically dynos and tests the cars after the race. Somebody states that it seems fishy and the ones being accused get really defensive everybody loses their mind. Think about it....

Too hard to comprehend so we just call him an idiot for mentioning it. Oh and a horse face. Always a valid argument when Brad does something we don't agree with.

Lagano was kind of whining about the 77 and 78 after the race and even said the fastest car didn't win. Which was pretty obvious. He and Brad both seemed pretty dejected.

Bob Pockrass is reporting NASCAR did not take the cars for competitive analysis.Nascar must have been sandbagging.

Yeah, that's because the competitive analysis is also called the Manufacturers Standings of which Toyota is freakin' third.

I can only promise one thing. Brad will drive like an ass at some point in the chase. He will be pushing other cars through the corners harder than anyone else. Afterwards he will bs his way through the interview and post some fake news on twitter to justify what he did. I can only hope the toyotas get watered down before the playoffs. It would be a shame if they had an advantage and there wasn't any "parity" in the sport. That guy is a genuine douch with a collosal complex.

Last edited:
This was my interpretation as well. It's not necessarily that they're cheating, they just don't want NASCAR to see what they're doing to go faster. We all know that NASCAR isn't the most objective sanctioning body, so leaks happen quite often. They could be potentially "sandbagging" for this reason. The only thing I found suspicious was Kyle's comments about a "new engine package." Why give away something like that? Especially in a circumstance like this, it only adds to the speculation.

All that can be done is to wait and see really. There was reasonable parity at Michigan and lets be honest the Toyota's have completely dominated the previous weeks. But at the testing race that dominance was not apparent. So if we move on and the Toyota's start to dominate again at races where the testers are not present then suspicions have to arise. I agree, to call Toyota cheats is probably going too far but they seem to have found something that makes them quicker and they are not about to share if they can help it. Let's hope it gets sorted out because having one manufacturer so dominant it has led to some mighty dull racing of late.

A Chevy won today. If Toyota was sandbagging, they would be spreading the wins among themselves. They seem to be more consistent with their speed, but they keep messing things up. Dumb moves on the track, and in the pits. Truex is the fastest of the Toyotas so far, but Larson has been able to stay with him all season. If anything, the Fords seem to be down on power, the exception being the earlier part of today's race.

I am not accusing any manufacturer of cheating. BUT
Toyota got new nose and it took awhile for most teams to find a happy spot for their driver/
That doesn't include Truex of course.
Chevy has announced a new car next year, Possible a Camaro version done in a 4 door style.
I haven't heard anything from Ford but what ever Nascar took away from them, they sure are lacking now.
For those who can't stand Brad talking all I can say is where have you been the last 30 years.
This yapping has been going on that long, well since Dodge brought the Daytona wing car to cup anyway.

When Brad was asked about winning the pole he whined about the Toyoda; I was amused that he dominated the early part of the race. I noticed Joey whine about Toyota too. I think they are getting beat by a better team (Furniture Row). Other teams have had times when they dominated. Sooner or later a team figures out a better way and challenges the dominate team.

I am not accusing any manufacturer of cheating. BUT
Toyota got new nose and it took awhile for most teams to find a happy spot for their driver/
That doesn't include Truex of course.
Chevy has announced a new car next year, Possible a Camaro version done in a 4 door style.
I haven't heard anything from Ford but what ever Nascar took away from them, they sure are lacking now.
For those who can't stand Brad talking all I can say is where have you been the last 30 years.
This yapping has been going on that long, well since Dodge brought the Daytona wing car to cup anyway.

I don't follow the series close enough to know what Nascar has taken away from different manufacturers so what did they take away from the Ford camp?

When Brad was asked about winning the pole he whined about the Toyoda; I was amused that he dominated the early part of the race. I noticed Joey whine about Toyota too. I think they are getting beat by a better team (Furniture Row). Other teams have had times when they dominated. Sooner or later a team figures out a better way and challenges the dominate team.

IMO the best thing for BKez and JLo is to worry about themselves and not what others are doing. Work harder and smarter and you will catch up.

BK hasn't said anyone is cheating. All he's saying is the Toys (specifically the 78 and 18) would probably be detuned in some manner in the event their cars were selected for comparison. Or that they were destined to keep from getting selected.
He's right. If things go as they have been, Chase or whatever it is will be boring unless you are a Toyota fan.

I can only promise one thing. Brad will drive like an ass at some point in the chase. He will be pushing other cars through the corners harder than anyone else. Afterwards he will bs his way through the interview and post some fake news on twitter to justify what he did. I can only hope the toyotas get watered down before the playoffs. It would be a shame if they had an advantage and there wasn't any "parity" in the sport. That guy is a genuine douch with a collosal complex.
Yeah he's an ass if he races your guy hard. If your guy does it it's hard racing. You forgot the horse face comparison. Always justifies hating on him. Lol

Yeah he's an ass if he races your guy hard. If your guy does it it's hard racing. You forgot the horse face comparison. Always justifies hating on him. Lol
I wonder if there is a nice compilation on youtube for him. I don't think I ever called him a horseface on here.

A Chevy won today. If Toyota was sandbagging, they would be spreading the wins among themselves. They seem to be more consistent with their speed, but they keep messing things up. Dumb moves on the track, and in the pits. Truex is the fastest of the Toyotas so far, but Larson has been able to stay with him all season. If anything, the Fords seem to be down on power, the exception being the earlier part of today's race.

The 78 was sandbagging ......... could have easily won but that would mean showing what they got :unsure:

He's right. If things go as they have been, Chase or whatever it is will be boring unless you are a Toyota fan.

This is laughable as well. Toyota has a few good races and now they a dominant to the point where racing is boring? bull**** Chevy dominated the sport for years and years and it wasn't boring. Brad is a conspiracy theorists and has persuaded a few it seems.

BKez Horse.jpg

This is laughable as well. Toyota has a few good races and now they a dominant to the point where racing is boring? bull**** Chevy dominated the sport for years and years and it wasn't boring. Brad is a conspiracy theorists and has persuaded a few it seems.

Was about to post this, but you nailed it. I don't freakin' get it. A manufacturer struggles to start, gets better, and now we need to detune them? WTF is the point of even being in the sport if the goal is only to be as good as everybody else? IMO make rules, and let the manufacturers perform as best as they can within the rules. If there is a competitive imbalance, tough ****. Everybody else needs to get better. Nobody was bitching last year when the Toyotas won the Manufacturers Championship. I think this all goes back to that. They have shown that they can (and do) kick everybody's ass with just six cars (two rookies), and that they have the capability of winning the whole damn thing with five cars as they did last year. Now everybody has gone all Roush. This is a TRD philosophy. Few cars, but quality cars. Additionally, they have always asked that their teams share to make fewer stronger. It's working, and some don't like it. Tough ****.

It wasnt Chevy dominating a few years ago it was 1 or 2 drivers, the 4 car and a few years earlier the 48. This dominating is the go jibbs team with his 6 cars. The 20 over comes a pit speeding penalty and running 3rd before the 3 lap shoot out. 77 and 78, 2nd and 1st .. 18 overcomes a pitting penalty finishes 10th, 12th for the 11 car. Dan L Sworez was in the top 10 for quite a bit of the race until he and KC bumped. The race was boring and predictable until the last lap or 2. i'm not a 42 fan, but the 78 leads every race this year. Sandbagging probably isnt the correct word to use here and all the Brad comments here wont change anything. But he may have opened an eye at nascrap and that was what he intended on doing.

It wasnt Chevy dominating a few years ago it was 1 or 2 drivers, the 4 car and a few years earlier the 48. This dominating is the go jibbs team with his 6 cars. The 20 over comes a pit speeding penalty and running 3rd before the 3 lap shoot out. 77 and 78, 2nd and 1st .. 18 overcomes a pitting penalty finishes 10th, 12th for the 11 car. Dan L Sworez was in the top 10 for quite a bit of the race until he and KC bumped. The race was boring and predictable until the last lap or 2. i'm not a 42 fan, but the 78 leads every race this year. Sandbagging probably isnt the correct word to use here and all the Brad comments here wont change anything. But he may have opened an eye at nascrap and that was what he intended on doing.

I don't agree. My "conspiracy theory" is this....I think that the Toyota camp called the skew stuff in to encumber Joey's win. This is Brad's attempt at payback. Don't have proof, but I don't think I am wrong.

"Racing" goes on from Monday to Sunday.

NASCAR'S job is to attempt to legislate parity. The teams and manufacturers work hard to defeat that ... it's part of the game. Adult sports work best if the T-Ball mentality is not allowed to overwhelm the competitive aspects of the game.

Nascar routinely checks cars for balance of performance. The wind tunnel was being worked on at Michigan as per O'Donnell.

“We actually found it kind of comical this weekend,’’ O’Donnell said of the chatter that NASCAR would take more cars after Michigan. “We put a little bit of the rumor out there, and candidly it worked.

“If anyone would have done some serious research, the wind tunnel that we would use for this is under construction this week so it would have been impossible.’’

“We’re not going to telegraph when we’re going to do that at a certain race track,’’ O’Donnell said on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. “We always want to make sure that we’ve got the best information possible, particularly the aerodynamics of the car, so we’ll continue to do that.

“A lot of politicking going out there and I think that will continue as it gets closer to the playoffs. There’s a lot on the line, a lot of different winners, and that’s actually kind of cool to see because people care and they want to do all they can to win.’’

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/08...d-take-additional-cars-after-michigan-gotcha/

I think the rumor did work if teams were doing something they didn't want to be discovered.

Chevy won 13 straight manufacture championships and won 26 races in 2007. Chevy dominated not just a few years but a whole decade and longer.
Your missing the point, its one team right now, not one manufacturer. Years ago Ford ( rousch, yates and others) won everything on tracks larger than 1/2 mile, except plate races. Kyle Petty openly ( on tv) threw jabs at nascrap saying "if they think these cars are equal, their crazy. The Taurus was kicking butt with one exception-- Jeff Gordon-- It was the Ford or Gordon show every week. After a Gordon win, fans threw trash over the fence at him on his victory lap. Nascar finally stepped in and made the cars more equal. I would tend to think that if one team is running away with it, it will lose fans, and nascar cant afford to lose any more fans. The jibbs car have done their homework and its paying off.

Your missing the point, its one team right now, not one manufacturer. Years ago Ford ( rousch, yates and others) won everything on tracks larger than 1/2 mile, except plate races. Kyle Petty openly ( on tv) threw jabs at nascrap saying "if they think these cars are equal, their crazy. The Taurus was kicking butt with one exception-- Jeff Gordon-- It was the Ford or Gordon show every week. After a Gordon win, fans threw trash over the fence at him on his victory lap. Nascar finally stepped in and made the cars more equal. I would tend to think that if one team is running away with it, it will lose fans, and nascar cant afford to lose any more fans. The jibbs car have done their homework and its paying off.
yep that is why Nascar periodically checks all of the brands for performance. They haven't been doing it this year yet from what I can gather and instead started a rumor they would be doing it.

Back
Top Bottom