Toyota teams sandbagging?

yep that is why Nascar periodically checks all of the brands for performance. They haven't been doing it this year yet from what I can gather and instead started a rumor they would be doing it.
Exactly. Nobody is saying Toy has done something wrong but if NASCAR want to keep it interesting, they need to keep the parity, like they have always said they did.

The argument about being better than the competitor is valid, but so is the politicking now to get an adjustment before the races mean much, much more.

Toyota is doing what they always have when they enter a series, they throw a whole bunch of money at it in development and go all out to win. But at the same token, Nascar has a duty to it's fans to continually check all competitors cars to keep the competition balanced. Stands to reason fans are questioning what is going on. As some have said, this has been going on for years, it isn't anything new, in fact it used to be worse. Teams would jump from manufacturer to manufacturer for a slipperier car yearly.

Your missing the point, its one team right now, not one manufacturer. Years ago Ford ( rousch, yates and others) won everything on tracks larger than 1/2 mile, except plate races. Kyle Petty openly ( on tv) threw jabs at nascrap saying "if they think these cars are equal, their crazy. The Taurus was kicking butt with one exception-- Jeff Gordon-- It was the Ford or Gordon show every week. After a Gordon win, fans threw trash over the fence at him on his victory lap. Nascar finally stepped in and made the cars more equal. I would tend to think that if one team is running away with it, it will lose fans, and nascar cant afford to lose any more fans. The jibbs car have done their homework and its paying off.

JGR and FRR are two different teams. No different than when Hendrick motors were dominating with HMS and SHR together.

JGR and FRR are two different teams. No different than when Hendrick motors were dominating with HMS and SHR together.
that is a slippery slope, they might be two different teams but it is different than HMS and SHR. I don't think any alliances are the same. Having crew members controlled by another team was a new one on me, and news to most fans.

that is a slippery slope, they might be two different teams but it is different than HMS and SHR. I don't think any alliances are the same. Having crew members controlled by another team was a new one on me, and news to most fans.

Two separate teams that have a working alliance. Crew members are no big deal and I imagine Woods Bro. have a similar deal with Penske with the pit crews.

Toyota has been here for a decade. Nobody can say they just come in and throw money at people to win.

You mightve missed it but on sunday brad actually said theres something fishy with the toyodas. That counts as an accusation to me.

Two separate teams that have a working alliance. Crew members are no big deal and I imagine Woods Bro. have a similar deal with Penske with the pit crews.
pretty big deal when you pull them from your supposed closest competitor. Sorry but a person can't sweep that little stunt under the rug. Nobody has done anything remotely like that bud.

pretty big deal when you pull them from your supposed closest competitor. Sorry but a person can't sweep that little stunt under the rug. Nobody has done anything remotely like that bud.

Yeah it was kind of odd but I guarantee Penske has crew guys working for the 21, Germain probably has RCR pit crew members. Just so happen that Gibbs had to suspend a few, not trying to sweep any thing under a rug.

:rolleyes:

Yeah it was kind of odd but I guarantee Penske has crew guys working for the 21, Germain probably has RCR pit crew members. Just so happen that Gibbs had to suspend a few, not trying to sweep any thing under a rug.
you guarantee it? Where is the proof, I keep up pretty good and I have never heard of what Gibbs was able to do. I've heard of pit crews being loaned to an Xfinity team for one race by a cup team over the years, but no, never heard of any team leasing full time a pit crew from another supposed different team.

Being a Cup rookie is never easy, but as a driver you should take comfort in knowing you have veteran tire changers. Rookie Ryan Blaney will have veteran tire changers Shannon Myers and Ryan Langley manning the stops at Daytona. Both changers were at MWR last year and come over with loads of experience and talent. The rest of the team fills in nicely as well. Carrier Jesse Mills will be carrying fronts with longtime jackman Chris Conklin in the middle. The back of the car has Josh Chaney carrying tires and gassing will be Andrew Lackey. This team has a good mixture of rookies and vets and will make a big impact on how the #21 finishes races. Good luck to the #21 and we look forward to following your progress.

http://www.pittalks.com/2016/02/10/wood-brothers-racing-add-veteran-tire-changers-to-pit-crew/

NASCAR can't afford to let 1 manufacturer chase the other manufacturers fans out of the sport.
bingo. Not good for racing either IMO.I'm not positive it is that big a deal right now, but Nascar needs to check them just because fans are questioning what is going on. They will soon I bet.

Last edited:
you guarantee it? Where is the proof, I keep up pretty good and I have never heard of what Gibbs was able to do. I've heard of pit crews being loaned to an Xfinity team for one race by a cup team over the years, but no, never heard of any team leasing full time a pit crew from another supposed different team.

Germain switched to a RCR crew this season. Had their own since aligning with RCR in 2013. Hell Roush loaned a driver to a different manufacturer, loaning a crew to an affiliate team is nothing.

Reverse psychology is a technique involving the advocacy of a belief or behavior that is opposite to the one desired, with the expectation that this approach will encourage the subject of the persuasion to do what actually is desired: the opposite of what is suggested.

Brad is not a dumb guy. Not exactly a scholar, but he knows what he is saying more often than not, I think.

I personally doubt his claim about them sandbagging was anything more than rhetoric to be honest. And look what he did..pissed off Toyota drivers, pissed off fans who dislike him, while he just sits there on his blog.

He is the most genuine guy in the sport.

As someone who HATED him, I find him really hard to dislike now.

He's having fun.

Lol@ his acting career

I wouldn't like it either to have a driver trying to upset the apple cart. But I bet it gets Nascar off their butts. surprised somebody didn't wake up Brian so he could throw an "actions detrimental to stock car racing" fine into the works.

What does sandbagging mean?
Back when there was a bigger disparity between teams, a driver might slow down for qualifying. If they ran significantly faster than the field NASCAR might take notice and give the car a closer inspection.

One could say at Michigan that the Toyotas qualified slower than they normally do. Instead of winning all three stages, they let the Fords win the first one, easily came in one two for the second and were poised to win the third stage one two, until a couple of cautions in the last stage, ironically Logano's tire coming apart, (Larson pitted and got 4 tires) and later McDowell and Menard caused a late race restart (Larson had moved up to 4th) and then Larson stole the win down low on 4 better tires than Truex. Kinda sandbaggy to me, Toyota missing the qualifying setup doesn't make any sense, the toyotas were in qualifying trim the entire practice.

Other than on the racetrack, nobody is being chased anywhere.

If your competitor is better than you are, you get to work. That's the foundation of this sport.

It is the foundation of innovation. No one should ever be forced into dumbing it down in order to let the others catch up.

apparently Toyota boss Dave Wilson thought it was different also about The toyotas not doing well despite being on qualifying trim for the whole practice..y

Toyota Racing Development NASCAR boss Dave Wilson But the notion that we would not give it our all it patently false. We brought our very best stuff. I’m pissed off that we have five poles in a row going. That’s the longest streak that we’ve ever had as a manufacturer. And I wanted to keep it go.
https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-keselowski-toyota-sandbagging-941088/

And with NASCAR admitting they let a rumor fly and with Penske dominating qualifying and Brad leading te most laps, I'd say it validated his opinion way more than disproved him. Oh, and a Chevy won when it counted.

How's that? He says exactly what he thinks. Doesn't give a thought about popularity or who he makes happy or pisses. Epitome of real.

Brad likes to stir the pot and keep people interested in the sport IMO. Of course the Toyota camp is denying any wrong doing, good stuff this time of the year IMO.

How's that? He says exactly what he thinks. Doesn't give a thought about popularity or who he makes happy or pisses. Epitome of real.
Brad lies and exagerates often. Often has an alterior motive when he opens his yap. Kisses every reporters ass.

I am quite used to dealing with passive aggressive people and while Brad can be direct at times he can also be ultra PA. He loves to blame his own deficiencies on other teams and manufacturers and loves to troll Kyle B and Kyle B is always willing to take a bite of the worm.

Yeah, who cares if a driver makes himself available to reporters anyway? If a driver is obligated to speak with the press then they should but if not they should should ignore them if that is there preference. I get tired of hearing the same set of 3-5 questions asked in one form or another so I am sure the drivers have to be going batty over it.

It probably is a terms of endearment for some when your driver drops the mic, says it isn't a real race track about another drivers win. I can't for the life of me figure out a company that makes it's living feeding kids M&M's would continue to have him for a representative of their product. BTW those are lies and exaggerations also.

They are not 2 different team what so ever. Jeez How can jibbs suspend the 78 cars pit crew members? Could hendricks suspend a haas crew, NOPE. GET REAL

It probably is a terms of endearment for some when your driver drops the mic, says it isn't a real race track about another drivers win. I can't for the life of me figure out a company that makes it's living feeding kids M&M's would continue to have him for a representative of their product. BTW those are lies and exaggerations also.

A lot of Kyle's actions seem rude and unnecessary to me but as long as his sponsor, team and Nascar don't care it won't stop. The only place I ever hear about what he says or does is here and it seems to me that there are some that would defend anything he did while others would rather die than accept his cure for cancer. If any of this stuff is offensive it is super easy to ignore.

A lot of Kyle's actions seem rude and unnecessary to me but as long as his sponsor, team and Nascar don't care it won't stop. The only place I ever hear about what he says or does is here and it seems to me that there are some that would defend anything he did while others would rather die than accept his cure for cancer. If any of this stuff is offensive it is super easy to ignore.
Kyle has never come close to a cure for cancer. Would come closer to causing it more than curing anything.
And yeah, kinda odd a company that advertises to kids would use a spoiled brat that can't control himself to market them. Doesn't seem very responsible to me.

Back
Top Bottom