What Do you Think of the New Package?

Air has remained relatively unchanged for decades, thank goodness nobody tinkers with the air ... other than polluting it a bit. There was competitive auto racing at a fairground in the mid 1960s, I saw it with my own 2 eyes, the cars were basically junkers, the races were exciting, people had a blast there. No aero was involved, no gimmicks were needed. Is the search for competitive racing really that difficult ?
lol. No aero? What size track?

lol. No aero? What size track?

Yeah, no aero, no windshield, open wheels and a little track that produced blinding speeds of about 50 mph. Lots of paint traded, some bicycling after cars collided, but the racing was white knuckle competitive. I watched Dale Earnhardt race for years, no gimmicks and nobody really cared about the package. Something has been lost over the years. Several years back, I watched the 18 car follow Danica for 30 laps at PIR, aero push so bad he like to never got around her. the tinkering continues. Moto-Gp races typically draw 100 thousand or more, often the fans sit in the rain, they watch competitive edge of your seat racing with no gimmicks ... its out there.

I think the racing in F1 is terrible. I don't follow MotoGP. IndyCar has had improved racing. I don't feel much of a difference in NASCAR in quite some time in a good and bad way.

Yeah, no aero, no windshield, open wheels and a little track that produced blinding speeds of about 50 mph. Lots of paint traded, some bicycling after cars collided, but the racing was white knuckle competitive. I watched Dale Earnhardt race for years, no gimmicks and nobody really cared about the package. Something has been lost over the years. Several years back, I watched the 18 car follow Danica for 30 laps at PIR, aero push so bad he like to never got around her. the tinkering continues. Moto-Gp races typically draw 100 thousand or more, often the fans sit in the rain, they watch competitive edge of your seat racing with no gimmicks ... its out there.

But here you sit tapping out tales of displeasure -- suffering thru NASCAR for your luv of KyBu... :D

Expectations/results compared to 2018
Daytona - N/A
Atlanta - Usual
Las Vegas - Solid race, but Vegas has had good races with old packages
Phoenix - Boring race to me, Phoenix used to be better, I feel sorta biased because I didn't sit and watch the whole thing
Auto Club - Awful race
Martinsville - Decent, I've seen better
Texas - Good racing, above average to the usual by far
Bristol - Decent, I've seen better, I miss pre-2007 Bristol myself
Richmond - OKish, Richmond is hit and miss, wish they would use the sealer again
Talladega - Great race with the new SS package
Dover - Average, I thought the package hurt the race, but Dover gets strung out
Kansas - Great race
All-Star - Good reviews this year, I thought there was good reviews in 2018. About the same
Coke 600 - Good reviews compared to previous races
Pocono - Awful race

So far we got I'd say 3 races that were vastly improved (IMO) because of the package: Texas, Kansas, Coke 600 (didn't count Dega). I feel like Pocono & Fontana were extra awful, with the short tracks and flat tracks not exactly getting any improvement, if anything they brought more aero push to those races.

I am unsure how Michigan will be. It seems like the tracks that are on fairly fresh pavement seem to do well with these cars, which is contrary to the old pavement/falloff that sister track Auto Club has, but Pocono is a similar horsepower track that was repaved the same year and it sucked.

Can anybody envision a day when all members come to this board and agree that a given race was awesome? No. It will never happen. I truly believe that NASCAR needs to keep this package as it is, and let time pass. What I believe will happen is that fans will get back to where they should be--appreciative of the great races while understanding that what makes a great race is the fact that it is rare. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be great, would it? There isn't a sport I am aware of that has the expectations that this sport has. Maybe on those days when we have a stinker, we simply sit back and enjoy **** flying around a track at stupid speeds? IMO, that should be enough. It is for me, and I am one happy son of a bitch. I never miss a race, go to as many as I can during the year, and simply cannot breathe during Homestead.

Not long ago it was " what would Rodney Childers do ? " and now I am cuckoo ?

I think it was "What wouldn't Rodney do?" Pretty much nothing inclusive of manufacturing counterfeit parts as I recall.

Oh.

That's good.

The lack of power hurts primarily, if a bit higher, I think it wouldn't be as much of an issue IMO. I'm just not sure if 550 is enough to really keep and maintain momentum like the drivers want.

Racing wise, the package has been as advertised. Its been pretty good on certain tracks, but once again lacking power at somewhere like Pocono really reared its head. Pocono is not the greatest, but I think the high-downforce did the race a bit of disservice last week. Give these guys the ability to have some off-throttle time, I think the racing will be even better. Its not simple, its never simple. Yet, I give credit to NASCAR for trying to find a good formula with what they have atm.

Generation 6 cars have overstayed their welcome. Gen 7 can't come fast enough at this point. I'm excited about the rest of this season though, especially tracks going into second visits. My excitement never really falters.

eh, most of em except a couple will be mostly silent after the Michigan race happens. But perched on a limb and ready for the next dog to come along, probably New Hampshire in July.

eh, most of em except a couple will be mostly silent after the Michigan race happens. But perched on a limb and ready for the next dog to come along, probably New Hampshire in July.

I personally like New Hampshire, its a driver oriented track. Its just due to it being so flat and being a one lane track. Its fun to watch the drivers there though.

They have gone a long ways in helping the 1.5's and larger tracks this year. But it's the car owners that aren't allowing changes on the fly. It is what it is.

They have gone a long ways in helping the 1.5's and larger tracks this year. But it's the car owners that aren't allowing changes on the fly. It is what it is.

As usual, i disagree, They have neutered the cars per some of the drivers. Let's make sure all the cars are in the TV frame though cause THAT's great racin though

I have no dog in this fight because I like the racing this year (for the most part) and really liked it a lot last year. We can talk about MOV and lead changes and quality passes and all that, but how many years has it been since the cars have had the ability to run side by side for a full lap, or multiple laps?

Just two examples that stand out in my memory because they are races I've recently watched.....

Start watching at 8:45.....

Two completely different tracks, just for the record.

This isn't about nostalgia or the "good old days" or any of that. Just an example of how different the cars could run around each other back then, how close they could get and run along side one another compared to nowadays.

I realize you can't un-learn engineering and the evolution of aero, but they really need to find out a way to get the cars to run like this again, whether it's reducing side force, or something else in addition to that.

1995 Pontiac Excitement specs

upload_2019-6-7_16-17-44.png

Richmond last year

upload_2019-6-7_16-18-46.png

They also have less downforce. Which again, makes it real conundrum why their race at Pocono was superior.

I ate dinner and watched the weather radar for our daily storm then back to the race and wow it’s over already.

yep some thought it was terrible back then and it is terrible now. ;)

23 years of hard work for a slower pole speed and more time wasted on cautions, sounds to me like they are on the right track. Rule number one ..... don't fix ANYTHING that isn't broke, but if you insist on doing so, make certain you improve it

23 years of hard work for a slower pole speed and more time wasted on cautions, sounds to me like they are on the right track. Rule number one ..... don't fix ANYTHING that isn't broke, but if you insist on doing so, make certain you improve it
yep it's sad and terrible

Back
Top Bottom