What Do you Think of the New Package?

You just said that a set up in 2018 works in 2020. You are not an engineer....am I right?
I do have an engineering degree, but that isn't the topic. The short track package for 2020 is the same as the low downforce package they ran year before last 2018. On the tracks larger than 1.1 mile last years 2019 550 HP will be used. The expenses you have been flaming about will be minimal. Teams should have all of the data they used, setups, race data etc.

A great collaboration and incredible work by Steve O'Donnell to revert to what they were doing before.

That said, NASCAR never exactly wanted high downforce for short tracks, and the request from the teams that there be one unified package created the mess.

It's a positive and necessary change, and a sign that no particular aero philosophy is set in stone. Now if they can just start expanding the new / old package to other tracks again.

2016:
“NASCAR has worked tirelessly with our teams, drivers, manufacturers and Goodyear to develop a rules package that provides fans with the best racing possible,” said Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer. “The success of the races at Kentucky and Darlington in similar trim proved extremely valuable in accelerating rules development for 2016. Now, as teams have even more time to prepare and a strong baseline of data, we anticipate the racing to be even better.”

Characteristics of the lower downforce rules package includes more off-throttle time for drivers and decreasing corner speeds. This generates more passing zones over the entire track, and allows for multiple tire combinations to be levered.

2020:
The changes include significantly smaller spoilers, splitters and other aerodynamic devices in an effort to place a greater emphasis on handling and driver input with less stabilizing downforce on those tracks.

Time is a flat circle.

Does anybody remember when they had tire fall off compared to how many times Goodyear said there would be? :D

The expenses you have been flaming about will be minimal. Teams should have all of the data they used, setups, race data etc.

Andy Petree completely disagrees with you per NASCAR Radio.

Carl Edwards vs Johnson in 2005.

These cars flat out don't drive like that anymore.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6 wide at Vegas.;):p

gw2ou51ujwi41.png

there should be 2 optional packages at all tracks,
1. high df, and low hp, for non drivers.
2. low df and high hp, for real drvers.
the wreckage and tv ratings would be tremendous

there should be 2 optional packages at all tracks,
1. high df, and low hp, for non drivers.
2. low df and high hp, for real drvers.
the wreckage and tv ratings would be tremendous

What or which racing series races with unlimited horsepower and low downforce?

U mad bro?
Not at all.

The use of body filler is interesting. I don’t quite understand what’s going on. Do the camera’s data points register on the wrapped surface of the body panels or do they somehow “see” through the wrap and the applied filler to register on the sheet steel?

It seems to me that there’s no point in building up any body surface in a manner that takes it out of spec.

What Do you Think of the New Package?

My reaction in year 2 is the same as year 1. I would be entertained *if* I believed I was watching world class racing drivers working their craft in a skill-based competition with a high degree of difficulty. But I don't believe that, so the races leave me grumpy and unsatisfied. There is too little horsepower and too much downforce to be a skill-based meritocracy. Compared to the great racing we saw in 2017-18, this entertainment formula is severely watered down.

Anyone who has raced with an excess of horsepower and marginal grip... and who has also raced with mild power output and ample grip... knows that there is a world of difference between the two in skill required to be competitive. I'm not saying it's easy in an absolute sense. I'm not saying any old civilian off the street could do it as well. But I am saying this is not a world class contest of race driving skill.

Nascar is blessed to have a deep field of world class teams and a double handful of elite drivers. And they compete hard every week. These blessings are being squandered by the watered down skills under these current aero and horsepower rules. That's my $0.02 on the "new package."

I figured this below would get a long winded dissertation expounding their thoughts and doing their best to pull on the heart strings of any DECENT racing fan of why there isn't any skill involved in Nascar racing. Didn't hear of anyone saying they fell asleep during the cup race, and almost all of the comments were about the ENDING of the race. ;) Of course there are a few who are miserable and that is to be expected, but my advice are there are plenty of other series out there that have the conga line going on and drivers sleeping behind each other and hoping for a caution. It's not Nascar racing and Brian isn't here anymore.

gw2ou51ujwi41.png

over 17000 votes.
The 16.5 % that didn't think it was a good race? Reading some of the comments they were mad about the late race caution is the largest percentage of the gripe.

Here is one:

Russell Martin
@Russm2002

·
1h
Replying to
@jeff_gluck
I can’t remember the last time I voted NO before today. I can’t stand a race that ends under caution. It’s The most anti-climactic thing on earth.... it should be avoided at all cost.

And then we have some who haven't have a clue and don't want one:

Matthew Charles
@yankees71392

·
3h
Ability to make your way to the front? No passing at the back at all.

CRAIGO
@CRAlG0

·
1h
Replying to
@jeff_gluck
I was on the fence. I didn’t think it was “good”, but didn’t think it was bad. It was just kind of... whatever. I think the only good thing about it was the restarts. Other than that, it still looks like the cars are having a hard time passing and moving in the dirty air.

Here are the stats going back 6 years, the last two races since the changes lead in most categories

ERov5moXUAAmoTF

Jeff Gluck
@jeff_gluck

Was Las Vegas a good race? 83.5% of you said Yes, which puts it as the best Vegas spring race in the poll and 0.5% from the top Vegas race.

over 17000 votes.
The 16.5 % that didn't think it was a good race? Reading some of the comments they were mad about the late race caution is the largest percentage of the gripe.

Here is one:

Russell Martin
@Russm2002

·
1h
Replying to
@jeff_gluck
I can’t remember the last time I voted NO before today. I can’t stand a race that ends under caution. It’s The most anti-climactic thing on earth.... it should be avoided at all cost.

And then we have some who haven't have a clue and don't want one:

Matthew Charles
@yankees71392

·
3h
Ability to make your way to the front? No passing at the back at all.

CRAIGO
@CRAlG0

·
1h
Replying to
@jeff_gluck
I was on the fence. I didn’t think it was “good”, but didn’t think it was bad. It was just kind of... whatever. I think the only good thing about it was the restarts. Other than that, it still looks like the cars are having a hard time passing and moving in the dirty air.

Here are the stats going back 6 years, the last two races since the changes lead in most categories

ERov5moXUAAmoTF

Jeff Gluck
@jeff_gluck

Was Las Vegas a good race? 83.5% of you said Yes, which puts it as the best Vegas spring race in the poll and 0.5% from the top Vegas race.

Since I am often painted here as the guy who hates everything, let me say that I thought the Vegas race was fantastic, even though I wanted to puke over the winner and if the racing is that good even 75% of the time, you'll never here a complaint out of me. :)

Back
Top Bottom