What do you think of the NextGen Car?

I have to tell you that I am sick and tired is listening to those who want to bitch about what happens when the Next Gen gets a flat tire. Who the **** cares? You don't build a race car to make it manageable when it has a flat.

I have to tell you that I am sick and tired is listening to those who want to bitch about what happens when the Next Gen gets a flat tire. Who the **** cares? You don't build a race car to make it manageable when it has a flat.

The problem is that losing a tire is a much harsher penalty than before because it's so easy to get stuck and need a tow. With the old wheel/tire setup, you could limp it back to pit road and stay on the lead lap. Not so much anymore.

I'm still waiting for an explanation from NASCAR, Goodyear, or someone much smarter than me as to why they can't run an inner liner.

It slows the race down even more and creates additional caution opportunities. Both of those are a negative result

No issues really, the flat tire issue will be resolved in due time. There is no immediate remedy for it at the moment, but outside of that the racing product looks pretty solid.

Now, if it wakes up the Michigan, Pocono, Texas, and the likes of Richmond. Then this car is really a hit, but as many drivers said, if it does well at Charlotte it will translate to other tracks well.

No issues really, the flat tire issue will be resolved in due time. There is no immediate remedy for it at the moment

That's what I don't understand. They had to have known this would be an issue, right? All of this was by design. An 18" wheel to clear the bigger brakes obviously means a lower profile sidewall. Someone made the decision that inner liners wouldn't be necessary, and I can't figure out the logic behind that. I also don't understand how a company that developed the low profile runflat tire 30 years ago can't apply a similar concept to their low profile racing slick.

I find it hard to believe they just overlooked something like this. There has to be an explanation, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out. Regardless, if this is the biggest problem we're seeing with the new car (other than the parts shortage) I would call that a win.

If the smaller and newer teams can still compete as the bigger teams develop a notebook on the car then it will be a success. Yesterday was promising, I just hope someone like Erik Jones still looks like that in October.

Fontana is tricky and the teams and drivers still have a lot of adaptation to do so I don’t think they’ll be as wrecky all season long, but the car is still inherently more difficult to drive than NA18D so that’s a winner as well.

You shouldn’t get stranded and go two laps down for spinning and not hitting anything like Ross Chastain. I hope they figure that out. Overall it’s looking promising though.

Cool. Thanks for being candid. So, here is the thing on that--just my two cents as well. Jeff Curtis (aka Jazzy) is big on sim development, and when FRR was absorbed by JGR, he went to Ganassi. Big loss. When Pearn bailed, and Small took over, he went out and got Jazzy back. Big gain. KB has bitched about the sim, but I am not sure that the sim is the issue so much as his interpretation of the sim is. He wants the seat time, and resents this new direction. While Kyle was bitching, Denny was winning, so I am not sure that the sim is the issue. TRD Salisbury is dedicated to the chassis and sim development. They have the resources (to your point), and I think they are fine in that area. I am not sure what the hell went on in race prep for Sunday, but next week has me very, very concerned. Love this.
KB hasn't been happy since COVID killed multiple hours of practice. This "Get in and go' doesn't work for him. As you noted, Denny is winning. Maybe the #18 team has been so dependent on practice for set-ups that they've become slack about getting the car as close as possible before it leaves the shop? Or maybe their notes just aren't complete, don't provide enough info to set the car up? Whatever reason, this new car may cause them more growing pains than some other teams.

All just speculation on my part.

Last edited:
It makes the cautions longer while the tow truck is dispatched, hooks the car up, and drags it back; driving the car back is faster and may not even require a caution. Longer cautions equals less racing. If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't care.

Did you see P&Q? 10 cautions (not counting stage breaks) was LESS than I anticipated. Most of them were single car. If NASCAR will solve the flat tire problem so a tow truck isn't needed, the length of the cautions will be shorter.
I'm not worried about caution length, I'm worried about actual cautions. IMO with this new car any worn out surface will need immediate repaving

1646067981740.png

That's what I don't understand. They had to have known this would be an issue, right? All of this was by design. An 18" wheel to clear the bigger brakes obviously means a lower profile sidewall. Someone made the decision that inner liners wouldn't be necessary, and I can't figure out the logic behind that. I also don't understand how a company that developed the low profile runflat tire 30 years ago can't apply a similar concept to their low profile racing slick.

I find it hard to believe they just overlooked something like this. There has to be an explanation, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out. Regardless, if this is the biggest problem we're seeing with the new car (other than the parts shortage) I would call that a win.
An inner liner cannot fit, I was thinking run-flats. However, at 190 mph and it would need a tougher sidewall or maybe a harder compound tire. I'm not sure, but I think Goodyear could really consider something to stop the issue of the car sitting on the rub blocks when a tire goes down.

Go back to 15" wheels with inner liners. I don't expect it, though.
Then that defeats the purpose of the 18" wheel and then it changes the dynamics of the car as well.

It's a collective effort, just hopefully it leads to a solution sooner than later.

An inner liner cannot fit, I was thinking run-flats. However, at 190 mph and it would need a tougher sidewall or maybe a harder compound tire. I'm not sure, but I think Goodyear could really consider something to stop the issue of the car sitting on the rub blocks when a tire goes down.

If this is the case (and it probably is) I'm wondering how much more sidewall they need for an inner liner. Could they sacrifice an inch and run a 17" wheel without having to go with a smaller brake package? There must be some kind of happy medium between last year's 15" wheel and this year's 18" wheel that allows better brake performance as well as a tire that won't debilitate the car when it gets punctured.

Yesterday reminded me a lot of the early 2000s in many ways and that has me so excited. I’ll be at at least 5 races this year if it keeps up the next couple weeks.

were the tires punctured
or
developed a hole from a setup that caused abnormal wear

If I'm not mistaken, inner liners were not ran at every track in the past.
We've all seen cars make it back to pit road on just a wheel and no tire.
Theoretically those cars of the past would've been 1.5 inches LOWER than what we've seen recently.
I don't think the problem lies with the lack of an inner liner.
Guaranteed they are working on it as we speak.

I don't know....It's always been NASCAR. The sport has ebbed and flowed in reaction to an unprecedented flood of information and technology. Never been one to advocate "good racing" as that is probably different for many. Appreciate what you see understanding that it will likely change. Constantly evolving....and it should.
It should..but I think it's reasonable to make the claim that the gen 6 car was a broken product. NASCAR tried to compensate by throwing all these different packages at it.

You had cars making minimal power, difficulties passing. Clean air being huge. The racing was so different then yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Theoretically those cars of the past would've been 1.5 inches LOWER than what we've seen recently.
I was wondering myself. They said the diffuser is the part that they are getting the bulk of their down force from. Why have the rub blocks that seems to be keeping the cars from moving on a flat if the diffuser limits how low the cars can go?

I was wondering myself. They said the diffuser is the part that they are getting the bulk of their down force from. Why have the rub blocks that seems to be keeping the cars from moving on a flat if the diffuser limits how low the cars can go?
The rub blocks are there to protect the diffuser, so they are actually the lowest point on the chassis.
My guess is that work will be done on rub block material and/or shape to find something that may not lock up so tightly on the track once contact is made.

The rub blocks are there to protect the diffuser, so they are actually the lowest point on the chassis.
My guess is that work will be done on rub block material and/or shape to find something that may not lock up so tightly on the track once contact is made.
Rollers.

Don't thinks so, the rub blocks are there to enforce height requirements. They may protect the diffuser, but the way they have designed the splitter up front with the edges being lower than the center, the splitter and the diffuser could be used to limit ride heights.

This is a great point to consider. Maybe the simple solution would be to modify/raise/shorten the rub blocks to gain more clearance without making them ineffective? I wonder how much room they have to work with, if any.

Because, how many times has a car that had a flat tire get back in the race with a reasonable amount of chance to still win? Believe it has been quite often over the last seventy three years.

My issue is, the stationary ride height. Put it back to five inches between the wheels and three inches in front of the front axle. They still run bump stops (even though I am not a fan of them, but for this issue it will equalize the cars) so the suspension can be softer so the aero can suck the car down at speed. But, it will allow for the height at slow speeds for the vehicle not to be hung up underneath requiring a Indy/Formula 1 type extraction from the track due to something as arcane as tires.

Also do not like the method of attaching the wheel to the vehicle.

Have to wait on a total judgement until more races are run though.

I think Hemric and a few others will agree with ya

Now, back to the thread question:

What do you think of the NextGen Car?​

So far my big dislike is having a flat on the freaking asphalt and the freaking car can not move, plus get in the grass with this car and you are lucky to be able to drive out, if a tire is flat and you are in the grass your screwed for sure. (I write this just to make sure @Revman knows it) :youliketh :cool:

The only way to get laps back is to pray for an abundance of cautions, thanks to the wave around rule. Ironically, this issue with the tires going down (and causing the cars to get stuck) seems to be causing a lot of cautions. So yeah, if you go a down a handful of laps early in the race, you'll get a lot of help from a lot of yellows. This usually isn't the case though.

It's along the same lines as watching the 9 hit the wall and thinking he didn't hurt the front too bad, never considering that the rear end isn't almost indestructible anymore. Times change.

Back
Top Bottom