What do you think of the NextGen Car?

Here’s a wild crazy idea, remove the blocks and set minimum heights for the front end so they can’t seal off.
The hot set up last weekend actually had the front ends up off the track and the rear of the car set to the minimum.

So far it seems the car is an equalizer between the big and small teams (I expect the big teams to get develop gray area advantages). The new car will have issues to overcome. Every new product goes through testing but real world use shows what was missed in testing. The flat tire issue will need to be addressed as it is a severe penalty currently. There is probably no room for an inner liner.

Fontana is a bumpy track and I don't think the cars have much of a suspension (including the old car), I was wondering how the driver's bodies were affected.

I don't think the cars have much of a suspension
That is what both Kenseth and Boyer said. The new car does not allow for much travel. Very curious as to how they are going to spec for a dirt race... or coarse tracks like Darlington was. Dover will be extremely interesting...that cement probably has to be ground unless the clearance is added.

Kenny Wallace suggested removing the belly pan and putting flexible side skirts on the cars for all but the super speedways

What racing car that you know of was using Ford 9" rear ends and rear truck arms
Almost every local track has a series that use the Ford 9" type rear. The truck arms, not so much... mostly three link, four link, snubber, five spring, and alterations of those are common on the local short tracks.

I said that there has not been enough experience, not enough racing, for me to judge the NextGen in totality. My only concern is whether or not it will drive a wedge between the traditionalists along with alienating the grass root fans that also follow local bull rings and regional "stock" cars.

As I have stated in the past, many times, that I think that we have gotten way too aero dependent, which makes the skill of the wheel coupled with the egg between the foot feed and the sole of a shoe less important.

Do not have a problem with the bodies (other than the aero enhancements) so far.

Almost every local track has a series that use the Ford 9" type rear. The truck arms, not so much... mostly three link, four link, snubber, five spring, and alterations of those are common on the local short tracks.

I said that there has not been enough experience, not enough racing, for me to judge the NextGen in totality. My only concern is whether or not it will drive a wedge between the traditionalists along with alienating the grass root fans that also follow local bull rings and regional "stock" cars.

As I have stated in the past, many times, that I think that we have gotten way too aero dependent, which makes the skill of the wheel coupled with the egg between the foot feed and the sole of a shoe less important.

Do not have a problem with the bodies (other than the aero enhancements) so far.
I have no problem with the "kit-car" chassis. Do wish they had left the solid rear axle with probably 3 link suspension & regular transmission location. Just a WHOLE lotta changes at once. The rear suspension is always gonna be fragile. It's essentially the same stuff running around on tons of street cars other than the sway bar links. Toe links aren't made to be hammered on. Slap the curb with your 10 year old car and see where the wheels are pointed after.

LOTS of changes. Too many all at once? We will see. Martinsville will see a TON of cars out unless they let them change broken suspension during the race. IMO the crash clock needs to go away. If a team wants to spend an hour in the garage fixing a car to come out 70 laps down, why not let them? No tape. Replace broken stuff including body panels. Not enough time? Load it up. Same as they used to do. NO TAPE or temp repairs.

If a car slaps the wall but doesn't cause a caution, do they go on the crash clock? If your brakes get sof, can you go to garage and fix it? Or is any garage appearance a DQ? I'm really not clear on this stuff now.

The Next Gen is a V-8 SuperCar with fairly minor mods. Bolt-on clips and maybe more adjustable shocks? But the SC DOES have driver adjustable swaybars. These are a roadrace car design. How much time do they spend racing door-to-door on high-banked tracks in Sportcars. Not a lot. Daytona 24?

I hope this whole thing isn't a huge mistake.

Time will tell.

The cars seem able to run well together ... an issue that seems to be a root cause of a lot of the complaints here and elsewhere about the quality of Cup Series racing.

They’re 3 races in.

3 ... We could revisit after 20.

The cars seem able to run well together ... an issue that seems to be a root cause of a lot of the complaints here and elsewhere about the quality of Cup Series racing.

They’re 3 races in.

3 ... We could revisit after 20.
No disagreement. Just adding context to the complaints about the suspensions breaking. It's just NOT a 9" Ford straight axle. There WILL be updates.

Why wouldn’t there be?

I’ll guess all the toe-links will be replaced or reinforced ASAP. Too fragile. The 9” is dead - long live the ‘58 Edsel Station Wagon rear end.

NASCAR is not F1 or Indycar or IMSA or NHRA or USAC or anything else, and I guarantee none of those series are perfect either. It's OK to want to improve things that could use improvement.

If you like more cautions, longer cautions, unnecessary cautions, cars getting stuck everywhere, and drivers receiving a MUCH harsher penalty than ever before for something as simple as a tire failure......sure, it's "insignificant".

These cars are as close to IMSA as you can get, wheels and tires, transaxle, etc. and not be IMSA. JMHO.

I wonder what you call these?

1646326492719.png
1646326559449.png

No SH*T Sherlock.

Now the question will be asked in old farts language - What year or years did Nascar Race that style car?
It's a twisted sister dressed up to look like a 57 Chevy. Here is why they call them that

1646329148260.png

Reactions: sdj
I think it’s mostly a good thing that there seems to be only one aspect of this car that is widely being considered a ‘concern’

the tires/wheels

I too hope they can work towards a solution… other than that it’s been pretty cool I say to this point

The twisted sister era...the beginning of the end.
I like racecars that actually use the springs for suspensioning purposes. The cars last 20 years have been big go-karts. But even the Dirt Track Super Late Models are basically running the suspension locked out above pit road speed. Aero is KING!

I know some feel no rules makes for better racing but I disagree. Most fun I ever had was racing BOX STOCK 5HP Briggs & Stratton go-karts. If you make the penalties steep enough people quit cheating. Send them home. Don't come back. Only takes a couple season a to get the word out.

My porch does NOT need a haircut!

I like racecars that actually use the springs for suspensioning purposes. The cars last 20 years have been big go-karts. But even the Dirt Track Super Late Models are basically running the suspension locked out above pit road speed. Aero is KING!

I know some feel no rules makes for better racing but I disagree. Most fun I ever had was racing BOX STOCK 5HP Briggs & Stratton go-karts. If you make the penalties steep enough people quit cheating. Send them home. Don't come back. Only takes a couple season a to get the word out.

There used to a series called Mid-Am racing series, it was based off the GM metric frames but for awhile they also allowed the Ford Crown Vic frame. The series was extremely competitive and pretty much followed the original intentions of NASCAR. Too bad that series seems to be petering out. If and when they come to my area I make it a point to support them with my presence. Maybe I should put together a $100k to win purse for them at one event....

Ever race at Fairmont?

Ever race at Fairmont?
Only maybe twice for me. But that was after transitioned to Yamaha 2-smoke, seized it there but fixed it in about 20 minutes. I'd lost my edge by then. Stood up and bounced on front bumper too many times in a row after jumping wheels. Gave up the karts and went back to dirt bikes.

I had the only reed valve Yamaha around. Put a V-12 reed with big Tillerson on it. Some holes in intake side of piston and disc clutch nobody else ran. Wasn't much advantage at Fairmont as it was like running Talladega. But on tracks with actual turns & straights, was a rocket off the corners. How I kept jumping wheels. The Yamaha was piston port and had to be running above 9K to pull. Mine pulled from 6500. The stock Yamaha sounded like a quad-ra-jet when coming off the corner. UBlhuuuuuu...mine was PULLING cause it wasn't loaded up. But I'd flat run over the other Yamahas that were geared much lower. They were turning 13-14K and I wasn't much above 10K. If theirs fell off the pipe took half-lap to get rolling again. Mine didn't do that. But lost my nerve. Sold everything to another Yamaha guy CHEAP. Done.

I know that.

Pitch-adjustable with two 36” pipe wrenches. Grass bag / diffuser.

The Fairmont I remember but last time I was there was in late 70's? Was basically a trioval.

Attachments

• Fairmont Go-Kart Track.jpg
    Fairmont Go-Kart Track.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 86
Only maybe twice for me. But that was after transitioned to Yamaha 2-smoke, seized it there but fixed it in about 20 minutes. I'd lost my edge by then. Stood up and bounced on front bumper too many times in a row after jumping wheels. Gave up the karts and went back to dirt bikes.

I had the only reed valve Yamaha around. Put a V-12 reed with big Tillerson on it. Some holes in intake side of piston and disc clutch nobody else ran. Wasn't much advantage at Fairmont as it was like running Talladega. But on tracks with actual turns & straights, was a rocket off the corners. How I kept jumping wheels. The Yamaha was piston port and had to be running above 9K to pull. Mine pulled from 6500. The stock Yamaha sounded like a quad-ra-jet when coming off the corner. UBlhuuuuuu...mine was PULLING cause it wasn't loaded up. But I'd flat run over the other Yamahas that were geared much lower. They were turning 13-14K and I wasn't much above 10K. If theirs fell off the pipe took half-lap to get rolling again. Mine didn't do that. But lost my nerve. Sold everything to another Yamaha guy CHEAP. Done.
Good times!
We ran the Eastern Ohio/Western Pa area with a Mac 93. Did very good against the 101's and Yamahas back then. Not sure why we never made it to Fairmont. All of my family is from that area. (Clarksburg Buckhannon Elkins....)
I was working around there a couple of years ago and saw a sign for the track. It looked like they were still running.

Good times!
We ran the Eastern Ohio/Western Pa area with a Mac 93. Did very good against the 101's and Yamahas back then. Not sure why we never made it to Fairmont. All of my family is from that area. (Clarksburg Buckhannon Elkins....)
I was working around there a couple of years ago and saw a sign for the track. It looked like they were still running.
Found FaceBook posts from 2014. Looks like might have reconfigured to more of a normal oval. Was a guy that used to run a 93 and just smoked everyone at the original Weston Raceway. The name escapes me. Had a buddy that bought out another guys 101 stuff. Ran in the back all the time until one night one carb stuck open. Had to drag it down with brakes to make turns. Started passing people...won going away. Was fast every night from then on. Figured out how fast to get in the turns completely by accident.

Those were fun times.

Yeah this new car rocks. The racing stays close throughout a run like before and yet the cars are hard AF to drive.

Id like a tick more HP, also didn't love how hard of a time Truex had getting around KB with a faster car.

Off throttle time seemed quite a bit more long at Cali, but still, awesome stuff.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom