WNBA

BTW @Mr. Gregory, we are still accepting members at the Church of Caitlin.
We are once again extending an invitation to the Church of Caitlin, @Mr. Gregory.

We have cookies and ice cream.
Ehh...

nene-painting.gif

Caitlin's good, and I like how she makes her teammates better, but as a mostly offensive player, she isn't my type. She reminds me of Steve Nash, who I respected but wasn't a fan of at all for the same reason. I'm good.

With a couple of exceptions (Phee and maybe Reese, who I no longer follow since I stopped following Chicago), I'm finding that I really like defensive and/or scrappy/hustle wing players. Bonus points if they can shoot, but it's not a requirement.

My top players right now other than the two I mentioned, all of whom I like pretty much equally, are Marina Mabrey, Courtney Williams, DiJonai Carrington, Lexie Hull, and Sophie Cunningham. I need more data to confirm, but I can probably add Karlie Samuelson and Aerial Powers to that list, too. Karlie just came back with a knee brace on. Hopefully Aerial will be back sometime sooner rather than later, but there's still no timetable for her return as far as I know.

Ehh...

nene-painting.gif

Caitlin's good, and I like how she makes her teammates better, but as a mostly offensive player, she isn't my type. She reminds me of Steve Nash, who I respected but wasn't a fan of at all for the same reason. I'm good.

With a couple of exceptions (Phee and maybe Reese, who I no longer follow since I stopped following Chicago), I'm finding that I really like defensive and/or scrappy/hustle wing players. Bonus points if they can shoot, but it's not a requirement.

My top players right now other than the two I mentioned, all of whom I like pretty much equally, are Marina Mabrey, Courtney Williams, DiJonai Carrington, Lexie Hull, and Sophie Cunningham. I need more data to confirm, but I can probably add Karlie Samuelson and Aerial Powers to that list, too. Karlie just came back with a knee brace on. Hopefully Aerial will be back sometime sooner rather than later, but there's still no timetable for her return as far as I know.
Why do you hate America?

i am surprised that no mention has been made of another flagrant foul by the Sky against Caitlin Clark. This foul was more flagrant the previous foul in the earlier game. Someone is gonna get hurt and then the chit will hit the fan.

Diamond DeShields was getting pretty frustrated there. She had a bad individual game, and her team was getting blown out, adding to her frustration. That definitely wasn't a basketball play in any way, shape, or form. That said, I also think she wasn't intending to hit Caitlin (that hard), given how she immediately put her hands up when they collided and then went over to help her up. I'm fine with the flagrant 1 that was issued.

This is a really physical league, and Caitlin has a pretty slight frame compared to a lot of these other girls and goes flying accordingly at the slightest touch. She definitely flops/sells sometimes, and sometimes I think she truly just doesn't expect the contact and her body jerks nervously in response. It seems a lot more pronounced with her than with most others I've seen.

In any event, like I said a while back, I'm sure she's gonna bulk up over the off-season and beyond, and once she does, you'll see less of her being flung around like a pinball like this. She'll be fine.

I watched four games yesterday and could have gotten another one in but got interrupted. Either way, I'm now only two games back (gotta watch Minnesota/Chicago and Dallas/Indiana). I cheated and looked at the scores, but I'm still going to watch them.

I have way too many thoughts on everything I saw, so all I'll say is that I wish I could find that little Lexie Hull interview/video package that was played during one of the Fever games from last week. I can't remember who they were playing against, but man, it was great. She spoke beautifully about playing defense and how she plays every possession like it's her last. I felt seen. Lexie is a woman after my own heart. ❤️

tenor.gif

200.gif

Diamond DeShields was getting pretty frustrated there. She had a bad individual game, and her team was getting blown out, adding to her frustration. That definitely wasn't a basketball play in any way, shape, or form. That said, I also think she wasn't intending to hit Caitlin (that hard), given how she immediately put her hands up when they collided and then went over to help her up. I'm fine with the flagrant 1 that was issued.

This is a really physical league, and Caitlin has a pretty slight frame compared to a lot of these other girls and goes flying accordingly at the slightest touch. She definitely flops/sells sometimes, and sometimes I think she truly just doesn't expect the contact and her body jerks nervously in response. It seems a lot more pronounced with her than with most others I've seen.

In any event, like I said a while back, I'm sure she's gonna bulk up over the off-season and beyond, and once she does, you'll see less of her being flung around like a pinball like this. She'll be fine.
Of seven flagrant fouls committed by the Chicago Sky, four have been on Clark. Shockingly, of the total flagrant fouls committed in the league, 17% of them have been done on Caitlin Clark.

But I'm sure the fouls weren't meant to hit Clark hard and most of them didn't even realize it was Clark that they were fouling. It is just a coincidence that most flagrant fouls are on Clark, especially by the Sky.

Of seven flagrant fouls committed by the Chicago Sky, four have been on Clark. Shockingly, of the total flagrant fouls committed in the league, 17% of them have been done on Caitlin Clark.

But I'm sure the fouls weren't meant to hit Clark hard and most of them didn't even realize it was Clark that they were fouling. It is just a coincidence that most flagrant fouls are on Clark, especially by the Sky.
Flagrant fouls are called regardless of intent. If you actually go back and objectively look at the five (I believe) flagrant fouls that have been committed so far against Caitlin (four of which were committed by Sky players), I think you have to stretch quite a bit to come to the conclusion that more than two of them (the ones by Chennedy Carter and Diamond DeShields) were malicious non-basketball plays.

I don't know anything about Sporting News as a source, but there are gifs of each foul at this link, which is all that matters to me.

The W isn't the NBA. It is a very physical league and always has been. From where I'm sitting, the rules are being enforced, and flagrant fouls are being called accordingly. I get that you're upset that your girl is getting touched out there, but I don't know what more you're looking for. You want players to be suspended? They will be if they pick up enough flagrant fouls. That's how it works.

Again, that's America's girl. :)
On the subject of fouls, I noticed that Fever player NaLyssa Smith got a technical foul in a recent game for unnecessary and excessive contact with the stanchion, just like Someone Else got a while back.

Now, one would think that given all the weeping and gnashing of teeth on here from "America" about Someone Else's tech, and given that I was told that "America" would have been outraged no matter who such a tech was called against, there would obviously be a similar outcry about NaLyssa's tech. And yet, no such outcry happened. All was quiet. Interesting. 🤔

Weekly Update – MVP Ranking: The World’s most popular Basketball player has moved up in the WNBA MVP Rankings.

5. Alyssa Thomas

4. Breanna Stewart

3. Napheesa Collier

2. Caitlin Clark

1. A‘ja Wilson

Barring a miracle though Wilson will win the MVP, and deservedly so, at this point.

WNBA Most Valuable Player (MVP) Ladder Race 2024: Top 5 candidates ft. Caitlin Clark (Week 13) (msn.com)

WNBA 2024 Most Valuable Player Ladder - Week 13

As an aside, Thomas barely beat out Sabrina Lonescu for the #5 slot. Sabrina is a real winner.

Still getting through Sunday's Minnesota/Chicago game - just have the fourth quarter left, which I'll have to catch tomorrow.

I will say that Chicago's front line has made some strides offensively. Angel Reese's footwork in the post has gotten better since the last time I watched/paid attention to her. She set new single season total rebounding and offensive rebounding records, which I was of course happy to see since I love the dirty work. Kamilla Cardoso did a good job getting good post position in that game, too. When she's able to do that, it's a wrap.

Chicago's guards are also doing a better job getting the ball in to the bigs. The beaming it in to them as hard as possible while opposing bodies and flailing arms are completely surrounding them seems to have been reduced, if not ceased completely. The sweetheart Michaela Onyenwere appears to be making the most of her increased playing time, which is nice to see. I'm proud of her.

I hope Rachel Banham is okay after doing something to her shoulder as she was diving and fighting for a loose ball. She looked a bit out of it as she was initially heading to the bench and never returned to the game. :(

Sheryl Swoopes is on an Apology Tour right now.
Less Sheryl Swoopes, more Cynthia Cooper. I liked her interview during Sunday’s game and there’s a video out on Twitter of her with a fan gassing Caitlin up as well. She shows it’s possible to lift people up without putting others down.

Caught up through Sunday’s game against Dallas. Jacy Sheldon and CC really love to get after each other going back to their days at Ohio State and Iowa and are a fun matchup to watch. I think Jacy played really good, tight, aggressive defense but Caitlin was simply too much in the second half. For as great as she is running the point, there’s something very satisfying about watching her step back and launch 3s like she did in college.

Even though they have a poor record, the Wings play a fun style of basketball. Arike is always a joy to watch when she’s on, and she was on during Sunday’s game, especially in the first half. I quite like Satou Sabally’s game as well and I’m intrigued at the rumors (or is it hopium?) of her being a Fever a next season.

Kelsey Mitchell is just on an incredible run right now too. A franchise-record seven consecutive games and counting of 20+ points. She’s just a pure hooper and can score at all three levels.

Overall the Fever are firing on all cylinders and have the best offense in the W since the break. You definitely don’t want to draw them in the playoffs.

Less Sheryl Swoopes, more Cynthia Cooper. I liked her interview during Sunday’s game and there’s a video out on Twitter of her with a fan gassing Caitlin up as well. She shows it’s possible to lift people up without putting others down.
I'm not sure that I've ever heard from Cynthia Cooper, but liked purely for the last sentence. I get that sports naturally promote a tribal mentality, but as someone who isn't like that at all, I've always found it crazy how many other people aren't like that.

Some of my favorite commentators this year have been the local commentators who stan for their teams accordingly but are also gracious to the opposing teams and players and talk them up. I don't think it should be that difficult.

Caught up through Sunday’s game against Dallas. Jacy Sheldon and CC really love to get after each other going back to their days at Ohio State and Iowa and are a fun matchup to watch. I think Jacy played really good, tight, aggressive defense but Caitlin was simply too much in the second half. For as great as she is running the point, there’s something very satisfying about watching her step back and launch 3s like she did in college.

Even though they have a poor record, the Wings play a fun style of basketball. Arike is always a joy to watch when she’s on, and she was on during Sunday’s game, especially in the first half. I quite like Satou Sabally’s game as well and I’m intrigued at the rumors (or is it hopium?) of her being a Fever a next season.

Kelsey Mitchell is just on an incredible run right now too. A franchise-record seven consecutive games and counting of 20+ points. She’s just a pure hooper and can score at all three levels.

Overall the Fever are firing on all cylinders and have the best offense in the W since the break. You definitely don’t want to draw them in the playoffs.
Yeah man, don't sleep on the Wings. They're another team like the Dream and Mystics in that they have been bitten hard by the injury bug this season, have a good roster, and are better than their record suggests. They've also just gotten most, if not everyone back and have been playing well. They've recently knocked off both the Las Vegas Olympic Team and Minnesota. Gonna be a good battle for that final playoff spot.

Stating the obvious here, but yeah, you give Caitlin an inch of space, and she's money with that quick trigger. I think that’s why defenders sometimes close out on her too hard, because she can pull up from just about anywhere on her half of the court. You have to get a hand in her face if you want to have any hope of throwing her off, and even that sometimes isn't enough.

Caitlin is this close to a second triple double.

My god.
Got it…with ten seconds left. That’s her second, great stuff.

I add that she played all 40 minutes in this one. Sides trusts her defense enough now to leave her in on defensive possessions late in close games. She’s quietly gotten better on that side of the floor as well.

Got it…with ten seconds left. That’s her second, great stuff.

I add that she played all 40 minutes in this one. Sides trusts her defense enough now to leave her in on defensive possessions late in close games. She’s quietly gotten better on that side of the floor as well.
Christie Sides has earned my respect. This is an incredible turnaround and she has brought the team together while outside forces sought to tear them apart.

Great performances from the ‘Big 3’ tonight, but also the starting 5 as a whole. NLS has been better the past four games and Lexie makes an impact even when she isn’t getting shots up.

I think CC had a pair of behind-the back assists tonight.

Good team win. All players had their moment. Clark seems to hit points at the most effective time..

Caitlin Clark is only the sixth player in WNBA history with multiple career triple doubles.

Not the sixth player to record multiple triple dubs in a season, only the sixth to do it … ever. And she did it in her rookie season.

Just unreal.

Do you think Caitlin has a shot at ROTY. :D

💀☠️⚰️🪦

This debate is OVER.

I sincerely mean this. Invent an award to give to Angel Reese if they have to (and they probably do). But Caitlin Clark is in a different ****** universe.

Yo @Mr. Gregory, how much longer you gonna resist this? This is only the beginning if Caitlin’s reign of terror. Only the beginning.

Took me three days, but I finally got through that Minnesota/Chicago game, which was a good one that got close at the end. Phee was off on the offensive end, not for a lack of effort, just a lack of luck. Alanna Smith was out with a nagging knee injury that's been bugging her off and on for a few games. The rest of the team, including Courtney Williams and Kayla McBride, stepped up.

I love everything about Courtney, from her game on both ends of the floor to her confident (but not arrogant) swag to her country accent. Whether she, Phee, and Minnesota are winning or losing, I just feel pure joy watching them work. ^_^

Showtime Lakers Fever

Those two sequences were unbelievable. WNBA is seeing attendance that was never imagined, and the players salaries are going to get much bigger as a result. All as a result of one player who is waking people up to other good players in the WNBA.

Back
Top Bottom