WNBA

Basketball is not a sport I'm interested in (male or female) but I am aware of what's going on and get a kick reading your comments. Last night I'm flipping thru the channels and decided to tune in to the WNBA LA vs. Indiana game. Watched the last 5 minutes and was impressed with Caitlin Clark. She was fast and played well without any effort. So natural. I see what you guys are talking about.

Obviously I can't compare her to the other players because I don't watch and won't be but I'm happy to see the interest this sport has gained recently.

Basketball is not a sport I'm interested in (male or female) but I am aware of what's going on and get a kick reading your comments. Last night I'm flipping thru the channels and decided to tune in to the WNBA LA vs. Indiana game. Watched the last 5 minutes and was impressed with Caitlin Clark. She was fast and played well without any effort. So natural. I see what you guys are talking about.

Obviously I can't compare her to the other players because I don't watch and won't be but I'm happy to see the interest this sport has gained recently.

Caitlin converted me into a basketball fan. She's electrifying.

Somehow, momentum is still surging for the "Co-ROTY" debate.

Not only is Caitlin Clark, by far, the best rookie in this class, they're now trying to diminish what Caitlin has done for the sport and give the credit for that to Angel Reese.

I bet the same people pushing this crap would be irate if A'ja Wilson had to share MVP with Caitlin Clark.
Reality is detached from much of what you see on social media and some of these media outlets who are borderline performing PR work. You can’t just orchestrate a straight split in the voting since the panel is pretty sizable. Two months ago, when they did that straw poll for ROTY, Clark was already winning among actual panel members. That was before the break, and she’s only exploded since.

Bottom line is that Caitlin is transcendent and transformational on the offensive end and Reese is a great rebounder and above-average defender. The gap between the two will be larger than the gap between Reese and whoever finishes 3rd. It should actually be unanimous, but I imagine you’ll see at least a couple of first-place votes for Reese, because reasons.

Reality is detached from much of what you see on social media and some of these media outlets who are borderline performing PR work. You can’t just orchestrate a straight split in the voting since the panel is pretty sizable. Two months ago, when they did that straw poll for ROTY, Clark was already winning among actual panel members. That was before the break, and she’s only exploded since.

Bottom line is that Caitlin is transcendent and transformational on the offensive end and Reese is a great rebounder and above-average defender. The gap between the two will be larger than the gap between Reese and whoever finishes 3rd. It should actually be unanimous, but I imagine you’ll see at least a couple of first-place votes for Reese, because reasons.

I don't even think Angel Reese is the best rookie on her team.

That one game where they benched Kamilla Cardoso because Angel Reese needed more rebounds to keep her double-double streak going still has a lot of those Chicago Sky fans pissed off.

As for the media push ... it's definitely a PR campaign. I've been saying that for months. Angel Reese is a superstar solely because of the media's push to make her the face of the sport. And I really do think there's a strong chance they do the co-ROTY thing because it is the WNBA and they are an activist league.

I'm not sure that I've ever heard from Cynthia Cooper, but liked purely for the last sentence. I get that sports naturally promote a tribal mentality, but as someone who isn't like that at all, I've always found it crazy how many other people aren't like that.
The NBA TV broadcast had her on at some point during the Wings game, but this is the other clip I was referencing.

I don't even think Angel Reese is the best rookie on her team.

That one game where they benched Kamilla Cardoso because Angel Reese needed more rebounds to keep her double-double streak going still has a lot of those Chicago Sky fans pissed off.

As for the media push ... it's definitely a PR campaign. I've been saying that for months. Angel Reese is a superstar solely because of the media's push to make her the face of the sport. And I really do think there's a strong chance they do the co-ROTY thing because it is the WNBA and they are an activist league.
I don’t agree with the idea that Reese should be a shoe-in for #2 either. Cardoso and Rickea Jackson, at minimum, should be taking some second-place votes off of her. Especially with how the post-Olympic stretch run is playing out.

I think the biggest knock against Cardoso is she was injured to start the season and took some time to get her minutes up even when she did return, but she’s shown to be an efficient offensive post player and an effective rim protector on defense. That, and she gets played off the floor a bit due to foul trouble. But when she gets involved I think she’s often the second-best rookie in the league.

Jackson, quite frankly, doesn’t have much to work with around her in LA right now either but has shown she can score at all three levels. I think if that team manages to land Bueckers and Cam Brink comes back 100% they’ll have a great young core themselves.

Until Reese can start converting rebounds into points, it should be an open-ended conversation as to who the second-best class of ‘24 rookie is. #1 is completely off the table and I really don’t think a split is in play here. I just don’t think it’s possible to orchestrate with a large voting panel and anyone who advocates for a split should be embarrassed. There are so many more things to talk about around the league than trying to force a ROTY battle where there just isn’t one, for those who purport to trying to grow the game.

The NBA TV broadcast had her on at some point during the Wings game, but this is the other clip I was referencing.

I believe Fever/Wings is next for me. I love that clip, though. :lol2:

I appreciated what one of the Wings' commentators, Ron Thulin, who I like, had to say about Caitlin during a recent game. He briefly referenced the whole petty debate/nonsense around her and was just like "I wish everyone would just shut up and enjoy what she's doing." I agree.

Reminder: Caitlin is America’s girl. 🇺🇸
It's hard for you not having anything substantive to go back and forth with me about now that I've stopped following Angel Reese and Chicago and like another girl on your favorite team, isn't it? I've upset the balance, and our standard rules of engagement no longer apply. :lol2:

tenor.gif

It's hard for you not having anything substantive to go back and forth with me about now that I've stopped following Angel Reese and Chicago and like another girl on your favorite team, isn't it? I've upset the balance, and our standard rules of engagement no longer apply. :lol2:

tenor.gif

I don’t have a favorite team. I root for America's girl, Caitlin Clark. She just so happens to play for Indiana, which means I root for Indiana.

One of the things I like about Caitlin is her unselfishness. Example, in the 2 sequences that FLR posted, Caitlin could have easily shot the ball when she was close to the basket yet she passed it to her teammate. She is the real thing.

I don’t have a favorite team. I root for America's girl, Caitlin Clark. She just so happens to play for Indiana, which means I root for Indiana.
You have a tenacity when it comes to bickering over absolutely nothing that is truly commendable. It's almost enough to make a man root for Chicago and invent all sorts of new, "advanced" stats with acronyms named after dinosaurs to justify Angel Reese as ROTY. :XXROFL:

You have a tenacity when it comes to bickering over absolutely nothing that is truly commendable. It's almost enough to make a man root for Chicago and invent all sorts of new, "advanced" stats with acronyms named after dinosaurs to justify Angel Reese as ROTY. :XXROFL:

It's the Advanced Nanotech Giga-Elaborated Level stat.

One of the things I like about Caitlin is her unselfishness. Example, in the 2 sequences that FLR posted, Caitlin could have easily shot the ball when she was close to the basket yet she passed it to her teammate. She is the real thing.
Yessir. Like I've said before, that's what I like most about her. Unselfish play is contagious, especially when it starts with one of your stars. Everyone else suddenly becomes a pass-first player, too. It's a beautiful thing.

It’s all over for us when Mr. G patents the Total Rebounding Efficiency over Expected (TREX) metric.
Yo, get out of my head, dude. I had way too much time on my hands yesterday and created four silly, childish acronyms that I almost posted but didn't bother with. One of them was TREX (Total Rebounding Efficiency EXpert). The others, which I sadly didn't write down and don't fully remember, were MASTODON, TYRANNOSAURUS, and PTERODACTYL.

MASTODON was something like "Measurement Algorithm (of) Statistics Too Onerous (for) Dummies who dislike Angel Reese to understand." Can't remember much about TYRANNOSAURUS..."Time (spent) Yearly Rebounding And Not (now) Nor Ever blah blah blah Caitlin is inferior." PTERODACTYL was somehow about the proportion between Angel's rebounding and the number of times Caitlin gets Thrown and Yeeted Largely across the floor by Sky players committing flagrants on her.

I really wish I had saved them somewhere, and there aren't enough hours in the day to try to fully reconstruct them in my feeble mind. They're gone forever. :( :XXROFL:

Yo, get out of my head, dude. I had way too much time on my hands yesterday and created four silly, childish acronyms that I almost posted but didn't bother with. One of them was TREX (Total Rebounding Efficiency EXpert). The others, which I sadly didn't write down and don't fully remember, were MASTODON, TYRANNOSAURUS, and PTERODACTYL.

MASTODON was something like "Measurement Algorithm (of) Statistics Too Onerous (for) Dummies who dislike Angel Reese to understand." Can't remember much about TYRANNOSAURUS..."Time (spent) Yearly Rebounding And Not (now) Nor Ever blah blah blah Caitlin is inferior." PTERODACTYL was somehow about the proportion between Angel's rebounding and the number of times Caitlin gets Thrown and Yeeted Largely across the floor by Sky players committing flagrants on her.

I really wish I had saved them somewhere, and there aren't enough hours in the day to try to fully reconstruct them in my feeble mind. They're gone forever. :( :XXROFL:
I don't know understand all that "scientific stuff" but I did see the name Reese so I thought I would post this article I seen. :D

Angel Reese roasted as she learns tough WNBA lesson while Chicago Sky's playoff hopes dwindle​

I don't know understand all that "scientific stuff" but I did see the name Reese so I thought I would post this article I seen. :D

Angel Reese roasted as she learns tough WNBA lesson while Chicago Sky's playoff hopes dwindle​

In case it was unclear, everything I said there was just a joke. I like Reese but am roasting the fake "RAPTOR" stats we've been talking about that some have apparently been using to boost her.

No disrespect to you at all, in any way, muggle, because you didn't write that piece about Angel. It's just overblown pot stirring, as I figured it would be. I've seen countless players get stopped offensively and then trail the subsequent defensive play for all sorts of reasons, whether they got hit or knocked down and are struggling to recover, are protesting the fact that nothing was called to the refs, etc.

As a guy who loves defense, it can be annoying in the moment (unless they legitimately got hit/hurt, of course), but it happens all the time and isn't that big of a deal, particularly in a blowout loss to the Las Vegas Olympic Team. No reason to single out Angel or write an entire piece about it, but I guess these guys need the clicks. Mission accomplished, because they got me. :lol2:

No disrespect to you at all, in any way, muggle, because you didn't write that piece about Angel. It's just overblown pot stirring, as I figured it would be. I've seen countless players get stopped offensively and then trail the subsequent defensive play for all sorts of reasons, whether they got hit or knocked down and are struggling to recover, are protesting the fact that nothing was called to the refs, etc.

As a guy who loves defense, it can be annoying in the moment (unless they legitimately got hit/hurt, of course), but it happens all the time and isn't that big of a deal, particularly in a blowout loss to the Las Vegas Olympic Team. No reason to single out Angel or write an entire piece about it, but I guess these guys need the clicks. Mission accomplished, because they got me. :lol2:
:D

I mentioned that I bought that (W)NBA 2K25 game the other day. In recent years with those games, I've pretty much exclusively used the WNBA teams. It's so crazy to actually recognize all the names now, including those of the bench players who get subbed in, and to have at least a basic understanding of what they can do. I'm sure that gameplay-wise, it's largely the same game as 2K24, as is typically the case with these yearly sports titles, but my whole perspective on it has changed.

I mentioned that I bought that (W)NBA 2K25 game the other day. In recent years with those games, I've pretty much exclusively used the WNBA teams. It's so crazy to actually recognize all the names now, including those of the bench players who get subbed in, and to have at least a basic understanding of what they can do. I'm sure that gameplay-wise, it's largely the same game as 2K24, as is typically the case with these yearly sports titles, but my whole perspective on it has changed.
Of course, the year it all finally starts to fully click for me is the same year that a massive bug pops up in 2K with auto-substitutions. Starters, particularly those who get "hot" (which happens quite easily) end up playing full games or close to it, regardless of fatigue level or anything else, and don't automatically get subbed out. None of the various auto-sub settings change anything. It affects multiple game modes, so I know they'll fix it, but come on, man. :lol2: 🤦‍♂️

That really sucks, but honestly, the Sky's season was already likely almost over anyway. They've got plenty of work to do. Hopefully Angel will heal up quickly and come back healthy next season, along with Elizabeth Williams.

I'm currently four games behind, I believe. Just watched Dallas/Indiana. I would have watched more games today, but I was too busy enjoying the 2K25 game. I ended up just switching to manual substitutions, which I had never really done in previous 2Ks. Since I know these players now, the only difficult part about it was learning how that in-game quick substitution menu works, which I did using the Liberty.

I'd love to be able to run full half court sets since I like teams that can slow it down in real life. I wish you could practice plays or even just do scrimmages with the WNBA teams like you can with the NBA teams. The WNBA teams have their own playbooks, and it's super awkward trying to run random plays with them that I'm not familiar with during a game. Therefore, I'm just doing my usual routine of sticking with the basic quick plays. They changed the floppy around to where it's now pretty much a full play like the AI likes to run, where multiple players set off ball screens for a perimeter shooter. I like it, but I still rely primarily on basic post ups and the old single off ball screen floppys, now called "receive screen."

Tough game for the Fever but they come back and win it in overtime.
boston scores 30 and has 13 rebounds. Clark scores 26 with 13 assists and 5 rebounds.

I watched all four of those games today and am caught up up to today. Gonna start watching today's games next week.

All of the games I saw were good. Best ones were Sun/Aces and Fever/Lynx. Both felt like playoff games and reached points where they could have gone either way. I'm glad that A'ja Wilson's ankle injury isn't a long-term concern, according to Coach Hammon. It was not cool seeing her limp off the court. :(

The only thing I'm nervous about with Minnesota as far as going all the way is their reliance on jumpers on the offensive end. They can't/don't really bang inside at all compared to other teams, and even as great of shooters as they are, those jumpers just aren't always gonna fall. I guess (and hope) that that's where their best in the league defense comes in. I definitely love that pickup of Myisha Hines-Allen. She's a smart big and a desperately needed interior presence for them.

Back
Top Bottom