2019 Monster Energy Supercross

I agree with @DUN24... nothing wrong with Anderson's move IMO. It's hard to pass in SX, and you have to take what you can, when you can.

Shame about Malcolm Stewart. His speed was impressive. I've never seen him show both speed *and* an ability to keep it upright. Sadly, last night was no exception (I did not see A1 due to holiday travel).

Now I'm trying to watch the Chili Bowl and Supercross at the same time.

I like the Triple Crown Format and I like the decision to lengthen the first mains.

That was a power move by Cooper Webb to take that first 450 Main from Roczen, wow.

It is odd to see Tomac riding like he is a few ticks off the top pace. In the 250s Cianciarulo keeps making mistakes, and Nichols is much steadier.

Barcia down, hope we aren't going to start losing a major rider every week.

Strong night for Webb.

Congrats to Webb for a very impressive win. It is funny, and odd, but I've been pulling for him... and I don't know why. Maybe just hoping to see some new contenders. Last year he showed occasional flashes of speed, but was mostly disappointing even when healthy.

Frankly I was surprised that KTM picked him up. This week he made Roger De Coster look like a freakin' genius, LOL. Hopefully Webb can become a frequent front runner.

The ****** tape delayed coverage 'worked' on me last night, in that it got me to cough up the $90 for the NBC Sports Gold Supercross / Motocross package so that I could watch same day.

I don't have a beef with the Rolex 24 taking precedent. Not my thing, but of course that is a far more prestigious event. But I wish there were a better solution than next day coverage. The TV ratings this year are already down over 20% with the move from Fox to NBC.

Cooper Webb... on the gas. I don't mind the tape delay, although I realize many people do. This was a good race, not a great one IMO.

I don't mind the tape delay, although I realize many people do. This was a good race, not a great one IMO.

These races are starting at 11pm eastern time. Who is staying up to 2am to watch these races live? We have these things called DVR and it's not difficult to keep the results of Supercross races quiet til you watch it compared to other sports. I'm busy most Saturday nights anyway, so even when the series swings east, I'm normally watching these races on a Sunday or Monday anyway.

Been watching the weather all day. I'm about 45 minutes north of Petco and it started DUMPING where I'm at around 1:30 local. As soon as they pulled the tarps after delaying p/q, the skies opened up and washed out the track before anyone had rode it. Lmao. I can't wait to watch. The rain is just about gone for the night though(I think) so as the night wears on it should get a little tackier.

Almost bought tix last week, glad I didn't. Makes for great TV though :D

s780_50223155_303188513880841_6647945477648201120_n.jpg

Been watching the weather all day. I'm about 45 minutes north of Petco and it started DUMPING where I'm at around 1:30 local. As soon as they pulled the tarps after delaying p/q, the skies opened up and washed out the track before anyone had rode it. Lmao. I can't wait to watch. The rain is just about gone for the night though(I think) so as the night wears on it should get a little tackier.
If the rain stops it will be snotty:cool::D
Enjoy

Mudders can be fun, but they can also be ****shows when the track is just plain lost. I'm hoping it isn't like Seattle last year.

Mudders can be fun, but they can also be ****shows when the track is just plain lost. I'm hoping it isn't like Seattle last year.

Part of me hopes to see Daytona 08'(?) in a baseball stadium

Eli is your fastest qualifier but I'm already worried about his motorcycle.
s1600_Screenshot_20190202_194150.jpg

It's impressive they are as fast as they are and jumping as much as they are. That's a lot of slop. One thing for the clutches and motors to last through a heat race, the mains are going to be a lot harder.

If the rain situation doesn't get worse, this is pretty cool.

Track got a lot worse once the mud started to firm up and the ruts formed. I switched to watching late models and left the LCQs on in the background. Hope the mains can provide some good battles, but I would never try to sell someone on the sport using this as an example, ha.

Juliana still providing the smoke show.

I suspected they'd have to shorten the mains.

Yep, about as much as a cluster as we thought it would be. Glad Eli and Adam held on to their W's. Kenny would have had it if he didn't fall off the start.

I think only a healthy Barcia on a healthy bike could have beaten Tomac in that race. Still a good run for Roczen, and he's still riding smart. Marvin was coming on, was clearly the fastest guy for the last several laps.

It will be interesting to see how Webb bounces back next week in a normal conditions race, and whether he can regain that momentum. I heard them mention on the broadcast that Tomac confirmed this week that he was injured at the beginning of the season, making more sense of his slow start this year.

Last edited:
I learned something new this race. A wetter muddy track is better than a drying muddy track.
The drying mud gets to heavy and gummy and the ruts seem to get worse. This was absolutely
the 2nd messiest race I had ever seen. Daytona 10 -15 years ago still has the #1 spot.
In that race if you dropped your bike in some parts of the track the only thing you could
see of the bike was 1 hand grip above the water line. Fun to see the points tighten in the 450's.

Weird deal on that drying agent.

Dude this could be bad for Feld, Dirtwurx, and super/motocross.

Lots of damaged equipment and bodies... let alone the ktm juniors...

We do not want OSHA and the EPA getting involved with this sport.......

The one thing that can be said is Feld has tons of money and might be able to buy their way out of this jam.

Maybe next time there's a gully washer, they need to consider running on a (gasp) Sunday. I know NBC wouldn't be keen on it, but they aren't paying them that much for the rights anyway.

Maybe next time there's a gully washer, they need to consider running on a (gasp) Sunday. I know NBC wouldn't be keen on it, but they aren't paying them that much for the rights anyway.

If they ran qualifying in the morning and wrapped it back up or just cancelled qualifying, they would have been fine. It was basically a mist during the entire night show.

Yeah, skimming through some discussions of this on the MX sites, this is serious **** and it's more widespread than that article even hints at. Feld needs to get a clue and step up with $$$ before OSHA gets involved. They're going to end up paying one way or another.

Heh, I sent that tip to Gluck because i figured he would be interested. AMA and Feld released a statement today that they are "working with" the affected drivers and teams to help. Hopefully it is substantial help they are offering and not just trying to cover their asses.

The press release from AMA:

Press Release
: The American Motorcyclist Association is coordinating with AMA Supercross Championship promoter Feld Entertainment to identify riders and equipment that may have been affected by track conditions at the Feb. 2 event at PETCO Park in San Diego.

“The well-being of our members is a top priority of the AMA,” said AMA Chief Operations Officer Jeff Massey. “AMA staff is monitoring the situation and working directly with Feld Entertainment as its representatives contact individual riders to assess the extent of the impact.”

Races shouldn't be held in the rain. But fans want to watch ****shows instead of racing.
Guess you aren't a dirtbike rider. We were sitting on starting line at a harescrambles when a nasty storm blew through. Ez-ups were flying everywhere. Hailed really hard about 15 minutes. Looked over at my riding buddy and his eyes were size of teacups. I think they sent a couple of us for a reconnaissance lap to make sure nothing had blocked the track. All good lets roll. It was a quagmire. But that's how you roll. Same track for everyone. NUT UP YOU SNOWFLAKE!:headbang:

Back
Top Bottom