'21 Generation 7 Car news

Nah, I was told NASCAR has everything figured out, Kurt got concussed because he's old, it's total delusion that the cars aren't breaking apart/dissipating energy, the off-season rumors about an unsafe car were totally false, the infamous crash test dummy test was complete BS, blah blah blah blah blah I've heard it ALL. I hate to be right on this one.
There likely is something to say about Kurt's age and previous crash history involved in this one. I don't personally know him, but we all know its not his first hard hit. Could the car of done more to protect him? Some people think so, but none of us have all the data to make that call so like typical its all pure speculation.

There likely is something to say about Kurt's age and previous crash history involved in this one. I don't personally know him, but we all know its not his first hard hit. Could the car of done more to protect him? Some people think so, but none of us have all the data to make that call so like typical its all pure speculation.
I think the teams certainly know some of this data, and if the drivers are saying it, I tend to believe them over what NASCAR is saying, because unlike NASCAR, they won't lose any credibility over it if the car has a problem. I don't have ANY trouble believing that the car could have a window where does not absorb energy in a crash as well as the old car. Think of it like an aluminum beverage can. Have a 150 LB person stomp on it, and obviously it goes flat. Now have the same person slowly and carefully put their weight on it and see how differently the can handles it.

Wait.....NASCAR really said that? They actually say the wrecks hurt more because they occur at higher speeds and different angles?

Did they say it with a straight face? I need to understand the context of their statement, because that's beyond illogical. Quite frankly it's insulting they would actually expect anyone to buy that.

Wait.....NASCAR really said that? They actually say the wrecks hurt more because they occur at higher speeds and different angles?

Did they say it with a straight face? I need to understand the context of their statement, because that's beyond illogical. Quite frankly it's insulting they would actually expect anyone to buy that.
At least the statement acknowledges the drivers are indeed feeling the wrecks more.

What? You mean infallible Nascar might be just talking out of their ass, and even after having an additional year to get this stuff right, there are more questions than answers? I usually get hammered here for suggesting such a thing. I have a possible solution. Ben Kennedy is a former driver, strap his ass into one of these cars and launch him into a few walls, and then he can go tell Mom and Uncle Jim what it feels like.

What? You mean infallible Nascar might be just talking out of their ass, and even after having an additional year to get this stuff right, there are more questions than answers? I usually get hammered here for suggesting such a thing. I have a possible solution. Ben Kennedy is a former driver, strap his ass into one of these cars and launch him into a few walls, and then he can go tell Mom and Uncle Jim what it feels like.
NASCAR doesn't seem to be hearing what the drivers are saying. They are complaining about ALL the hits being harder. Doesn't have to be what most would consider a big hit. ALL of the hits are big in this car because it don't fold up any. As Harvick said, feels like hitting concrete on ALL the impacts.

Speeds are increased? Different angles?

Lol, we are still WAY slower than we were prior to 2018.

This is concerning. Someone will get seriously injured or killed. Then we will have change.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

NASCAR doesn't seem to be hearing what the drivers are saying. They are complaining about ALL the hits being harder. Doesn't have to be what most would consider a big hit. ALL of the hits are big in this car because it don't fold up any. As Harvick said, feels like hitting concrete on ALL the impacts.
I'm not so sure if this is an extreme, but would a driver strike force NASCAR's hand?

Speeds are increased? Different angles?

Lol, we are still WAY slower than we were prior to 2018.

This is concerning. Someone will get seriously injured or killed. Then we will have change.

Without looking at the data we have no idea. The overall speed may be down but it's very possible that impact speed is actually up. With how the cars are really on the edge, bottoming out and darting off they don't seem to scrub the speed before impact. Different angles is completely possible based on what I said above.

I'd love to throw nascar under the bus but whenever you build something new you encounter a lot of things you didn't anticipate. I feel if they actually ask the teams for help like they did prior to the season they can fix this pretty quickly

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Without looking at the data we have no idea. The overall speed may be down but it's very possible that impact speed is actually up. With how the cars are really on the edge, bottoming out and darting off they don't seem to scrub the speed before impact. Different angles is completely possible based on what I said above.

I'd love to throw nascar under the bus but whenever you build something new you encounter a lot of things you didn't anticipate. I feel if they actually ask the teams for help like they did prior to the season they can fix this pretty quickly

I would think that is some of it just guessing. The g force impact could show ok, but the period - the length of time it goes thru the crumpling could be the culprit. One of the drivers was saying that with the old car a hit in the rear would mash up the whole trunk fenders etc put them out of the race but the impact is less....the period is spread out.

I would think that is some of it just guessing. The g force impact could show ok, but the period - the length of time it goes thru the crumpling could be the culprit. One of the drivers was saying that with the old car a hit in the rear would mash up the whole trunk fenders etc put them out of the race but the impact is less....the period is spread out.
Very possible. The crushing of the car definitely slows down the acceleration time.

I just watch the Kurt crash again and that was a different angle. I can see where that one was an angle (or 2) that wasn't really anticipated. Pocono has seen some vicious hits over the years that place just seems to have some layout issues

Does it matter though?

Because the most valuable information, even moreso than the data, imo, is the fact that we have an injured driver, an almost injured driver in Hamlin, and drivers coming out each week expressing concern about how serious the impacts are.

If your drivers are continuing report painful wrecks, and report to the media that they are not sure what the "plan" is to fix these cars, then you as a sanctioning body is doing SOMETHING wrong, regardless how negligent or not negligent it is. I'm sure NASCAR will work on it, but they need to do a better job in making the drivers feel as if safety is a priority.

When you have human beings saying "this hurts way more than it should. And I don't know what NASCAR is doing to fix it"..there's an issue. You have had 3 cup champions express concern that NASCAR cares more about money than safety. Regardless of how true that is, it's an issue. That's how I see it.

Does it matter though?

Because the most valuable information, even moreso than the data, imo, is the fact that we have an injured driver, an almost injured driver in Hamlin, and drivers coming out each week expressing concern about how serious the impacts are.

If your drivers are continuing report painful wrecks, and report to the media that they are not sure what the "plan" is to fix these cars, then you as a sanctioning body is doing SOMETHING wrong, regardless how negligent or not negligent it is. I'm sure NASCAR will work on it, but they need to do a better job in making the drivers feel as if safety is a priority.

When you have human beings saying "this hurts way more than it should. And I don't know what NASCAR is doing to fix it"..there's an issue. You have had 3 cup champions express concern that NASCAR cares more about money than safety. Regardless of how true that is, it's an issue. That's how I see it.

If you don't think the powers that be aren't looking at it that is your choice. But there hasn't been a version of the car over the years that wasn't continually modified when it was warranted. This won't be any different.

I'm not so sure if this is an extreme, but would a driver strike force NASCAR's hand?

Probably not. ALL drivers, not just current Cup ones. would have to agree to participate. That won't happen. There are plenty of drivers on lower-tier teams, or in X or even Trucks, who would jump at a chance to drive Hendrick or JGR or Penske cars. With all the money on the line for the stakeholders, those drivers would probably get paid pretty well.

If you don't think the powers that be aren't looking at it that is your choice. But there hasn't been a version of the car over the years that wasn't continually modified when it was warranted. This won't be any different.
Of course they are looking at it. I believe that. My point here is that it *sounds* as if the drivers are not as informed about that process as they would like to be. It's a communication issue more than anything else. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I did read the article from yesterday which gave us NASCAR's response. Which was great to see.

Does it matter though?

I think you need to define and understand the problem before you try to fix it. That's problem solving 101. Yeah hits feel harder we know that. Why do they feel harder? Once you figure that out you can fix it, otherwise you're just throwing darts at a board and actually risk making things work by just trying things

I think you need to define and understand the problem before you try to fix it. That's problem solving 101. Yeah hits feel harder we know that. Why do they feel harder? Once you figure that out you can fix it, otherwise you're just throwing darts at a board and actually risk making things work by just trying things

I understand that. My issue isn't with the problem solving methodology and lack of a fix. My issue is with the lack of communication with the drivers, and NASCAR doing nothing to instill confidence that they have the driver's health and best interest in mind. Maybe NASCAR genuinely is doing fantastic work identifying the problem. However, if this is the case, they are not communicating their process to the drivers when they should be.

That's the issue. Unless we want to assume that the drivers are irrational...them expressing concerns about a lack of communication from NASCAR is an issue, imo. And I'm not going to pretend my education, problem solving skills and understanding of the scientific method gives me better insight than the athletes actually involved.

I just think it's typical NASCR. They think the are smarter than the people who had been building Cup cars for 50 years, and even with all the modern technology at their disposal, the car has some issues and they don't quite know what to do because the fixes might just blow up the whole design and the business model behind it. Even if the teams know how to fix some of the problems, they probably wouldn't be allowed to do the work.

I just think it's typical NASCR. They think the are smarter than the people who had been building Cup cars for 50 years, and even with all the modern technology at their disposal, the car has some issues and they don't quite know what to do because the fixes might just blow up the whole design and the business model behind it. Even if the teams know how to fix some of the problems, they probably wouldn't be allowed to do the work.
The problem with teams "fixing" the problems themselves is they figure out a way to manipulate it to their advantage. And costs soon spiral out of control.

I know Kyle likes to call them Walmart cars, I like to call them Pinewood Derby cars myself with the way Ross was spinning ‘em out earlier in the year.

Your opinion doesn't offend me, I find it quite humorous.

Maybe another part of the equation might be the seats need updates too now. Don't know when the last time they were update with advancements.

I understand that. My issue isn't with the problem solving methodology and lack of a fix. My issue is with the lack of communication with the drivers, and NASCAR doing nothing to instill confidence that they have the driver's health and best interest in mind. Maybe NASCAR genuinely is doing fantastic work identifying the problem. However, if this is the case, they are not communicating their process to the drivers when they should be.

That's the issue. Unless we want to assume that the drivers are irrational...them expressing concerns about a lack of communication from NASCAR is an issue, imo. And I'm not going to pretend my education, problem solving skills and understanding of the scientific method gives me better insight than the athletes actually involved.

Perhaps you missed the last part of Kyles Interview where they are in contact through the drivers council?

I just think it's typical NASCR. They think the are smarter than the people who had been building Cup cars for 50 years, and even with all the modern technology at their disposal, the car has some issues and they don't quite know what to do because the fixes might just blow up the whole design and the
Nobody in NASCAR has been building these cars for 50 years

problem with the edit, I said that Nobody in NASCAR has been building these cars for 50 years. Just want to clairify.

Perhaps you missed the last part of Kyles Interview where they are in contact through the drivers council?
Chase Elliott also said Nascar communications have been positive and encouraging, per an AP article a few days ago. “You never want to take a step backward,” Elliott said. “It’s been great conversations (with NASCAR) and I think it will end up making a difference.”

The AP article quoted Dr. John Patalak, Nascar's managing director of safety engineering. He said the new car was never regarded as a final draft. There already have been safety modifications, and more analytics could lead to additional changes...

“There are certain solutions that can’t be implemented immediately,” Patalak said. “There are other solutions that can.”

And then there's Kevin Harvick. Harv eviscerated Nascar after his pyrotechnic episode Sunday night in Darlington, but frankly, complaints from Kevin lack credibility with me no matter what the topic. He has a long, long history of throwing anyone and everyone under the bus when he's frustrated. He's a hypocrite and an instigator. It's just how he copes. I'm not saying he's wrong, but I won't believe he's right without lots of other evidence.

Chase Elliott also said Nascar communications have been positive and encouraging, per an AP article a few days ago. “You never want to take a step backward,” Elliott said. “It’s been great conversations (with NASCAR) and I think it will end up making a difference.”

The AP article quoted Dr. John Patalak, Nascar's managing director of safety engineering. He said the new car was never regarded as a final draft. There already have been safety modifications, and more analytics could lead to additional changes...

“There are certain solutions that can’t be implemented immediately,” Patalak said. “There are other solutions that can.”

And then there's Kevin Harvick. Harv eviscerated Nascar after his pyrotechnic episode Sunday night in Darlington, but frankly, complaints from Kevin lack credibility with me no matter what the topic. He has a long, long history of throwing anyone and everyone under the bus when he's frustrated. He's a hypocrite and an instigator. It's just how he copes. I'm not saying he's wrong, but I won't believe he's right without lots of other evidence.
I laughed when Kevin had his meltdown, I knew that was coming, typical Harvick.

I think the same way about Hamlin when it comes to stirring the pot. I think more so now that he is a part team owner

problem with the edit, I said that Nobody in NASCAR has been building these cars for 50 years. Just want to clairify.
It's called collective knowledge stacked up over decades. But instead of asking THOSE people to collaborate and help design a new Cup car, NASCAR brings in outsiders and tries to modify a design from a totally different and far less demanding type of racing. I'm not saying the Cup car design didn't need to evolve, but the old car got to where it was because it WORKED, and the bugs were sorted out years ago. People liked to laugh at the truck arm rear suspension, but it was cheap, simple, almost bullet proof and it WORKED. Overall, the new car isn't that bad, but considering the lead time it should be better, and with NASCAR's iron fisted control over it, the solutions will come harder and slower than if the teams where able to just fix it. As far as the rocker fires, why the hell haven't they routed a couple of the fire suppression nozzles into that area? Released into the front of that confined space it should be able to knock down the fire before it completely trashes the car.

Back
Top Bottom