'21 Generation 7 Car news

How different? Just the body or other things?

John Probst on next steps

We’ve actually started the manufacturing of the Phase 3 prototype which will take all of the lessons learned from the tests we’ve previously had. Once that is built, we’ll probably start using this car as a ‘second car’ to start simulating cars in traffic to see what we can learn from that.

https://www.jayski.com/2020/01/16/nascar-completes-next-gen-test-with-erik-jones-at-homestead/

Still in the process of adding in all of their safety features.

"John Probst on the car’s development since the Phoenix test
We continue to work in the wind tunnel, we’re developing rear diffusers to generate more rear downforce. One of the big things we have here that we didn’t have at Phoenix is we added some of the lift-off devices that we’ve developed over the winter, including roof flaps. We also have a few other related items in development that aren’t on the car right now such as flap-down doors for the diffuser to get the liftoff speed even higher than what we run today."

I do wonder if NASCAR is still keeping to the philos
Diffusers?

What’s next ... BOP?

Doesn't NASCAR already do BoP to keep the competition close?

I am really surprised by only 5 gears, I thought NASCAR would've gone with the typical 6 gears.

Doesn't NASCAR already do BoP to keep the competition close?
I was thinking of the BOP system used by various sanctioning bodies in the wonderful world of Sports Car Racing.

Win a race and carry more weight for the next event.

I am really surprised by only 5 gears, I thought NASCAR would've gone with the typical 6 gears.
I hope the microphone is having issues or
something bc it sounds like he’s basically wide open all the way around and the RPMs sound fairly flat.

something bc it sounds like he’s basically wide open all the way around and the RPMs sound fairly flat.
As much as he's back steering that bad boy I'm sure he's letting off the gas. If not and she bites it's headlong into the wall. Michael McDowell style.

To be fair, we don't know which downforce package they're testing and I don't think they've started testing the engine yet, I think it's just chassis testing at this stage.

Someone said it sounds like a prop plane getting ready to spray pesticide and now I cannot unhear it
Somebody said it sounded like a spider monkey cutting a loaf of bologna with an electric knife

iu

I wonder how much time they shave off at Sonoma and Watkins Glen with the independent rears and sequential shift?????

Somebody said it sounded like a spider monkey cutting a loaf of bologna with an electric knife.
Which forces me to ask if the person who said it has ever heard a spider monkey cutting a loaf of bologna with an electric knife. And would it make a difference if it was a gibbon or orangutan or baboon? Or pickle and pimento loaf?

Never say beer tastes like horse p!ss; you leave yourself wide open.

a whole bunch, wider tires also

Then, it gets fascinating to watch to see if the playing field gets leveled on road courses. Does this make the fast guys faster, or the slow guys better? Maybe it's a push, and we bitch about the racing all over again?

When Grand Am started allowing concessions to placate the untalented drivers, (paddle shift, ABS, etc), it was mostly the slow guys that got faster. The good drivers were already getting everything out of the car it had. Now things like independent rear suspension, wider tires and another gear, that will help everybody.

I view the switch to IRS in the same light as the switch to fuel injection: another long-overdue abandonment of an obsolete technology the manufacturers dropped from production models years ago.

It hasn't been terribly long for the Mustang they went to IRS in 2015. Camaro's have had it for awhile, ten years ago in 2010.

Now things like independent rear suspension, wider tires and another gear, that will help everybody.

So, everybody will **** themselves when MTJ wins Sonoma for the third time in a row?.....but of course, Chase winning the Glen again will just be great racing.

I view the switch to IRS in the same light as the switch to fuel injection: another long-overdue abandonment of an obsolete technology the manufacturers dropped from production models years ago.

To @Formerjackman point.....everybody will get better, so everything will stay the same.

So, everybody will **** themselves when MTJ wins Sonoma for the third time in a row?.....but of course, Chase winning the Glen again will just be great racing.
Objection, your Honor. This is speculation on the part of the witness.

I will guess that some teams will hit on a good combination before others do.

I will also guess that that will be more obvious at Sonoma and at The Glen.

Rick Hendrick just paid 3 million dollars for the first production mid-engine Corvette.

Prolly figured he might as well spend some of his NASCAR cost-cutting money now.

The truth is that most fans' opinions of "great racing" has nothing to do with the race winner, as much as @Revman and some others may beg to differ.

I don't beg to differ, I flat out disagree (albeit respectfully). Having said that, this post could be a catalyst for a great discussion. I do believe that there is a group of supremely knowledgeable race fans who just want to see an intriguing event (whatever that looks like), or a bunch of people who want to go to the event and party or whatever. I kind of think of them as the Super Bowl crowd. When you listen to the Super Bowl broadcast, there is no clear crowd bias because most there just want to be there. That's it. Just there. I hate that because I don't think it represents true fandom. I think of the middle class guy who lives and dies for his team, but he can't get there because of the $. Anyway, I do believe that the winner deeply influences most (if not all) of the perception about an event. If you like the winner, good race. If you don't, bad race. For me, I have never sat back in the parking lot after an event, and evaluated the racing. Ever. I sit back in the satisfaction of having been there, and if I am fortunate enough to have witnessed a Toyota victory--especially a Kyle Busch victory, I am smiling so wide my face hurts. A race is organic. Some will be stunners, and some will be something else. I worry that NASCAR wants 36 stunners a year, and that will never happen. If they are chasing that, they will go broke doing it, and this sport will die. I couldn't help but think that if college football fans were the same as NASCAR fans, they would be screaming for rule changes because the last quarter + of the National Championship was boring.....and if you don't think that the winner influences perception, ask Larry Mac what he thinks about that game. He couldn't give a **** because Alabama was home.

The truth is that Truex will never have the fan base Chase Elliott has. Everybody knows that.

Yup, and that fanbase is bias....and that bias influences the perception of the quality of racing....and there is nothing wrong with that unless we insist that it doesn't.

Yup, and that fanbase is bias....and that bias influences the perception of the quality of racing....and there is nothing wrong with that unless we insist that it doesn't.
no worries there. We have you to constantly point out the obvious.

no worries there. We have you to constantly point out the obvious.

I think that a poster suggested that bias doesn't influence the perception of the quality of racing in this very thread. Apparently, this is not obvious to everyone (your words), therefore I point it out. All good. You sure try hard.

Anyway, I do believe that the winner deeply influences most (if not all) of the perception about an event. If you like the winner, good race. If you don't, bad race.
Not only do I think that's NOT true for all, I don't think it's even true for most. I watched Kenseth win some real snoozers, and I've seen races that were terrific even though he dropped out early.

Not only do I think that's NOT true for all, I don't think it's even true for most. I watched Kenseth win some real snoozers, and I've seen races that were terrific even though he dropped out early.

You have to work around the one trick pony fans. Some don't understand, most do, that when a popular driver wins a race there WILL be more celebration. That is one reason why drivers who wins a lot and a driver who is popular with the fans have so many fans. But in the long run a driver who is popular will continue with it thru out his career, and a driver who wins a lot but is a jackass their popularity will wane and the jeers will come when he ages out.

Yeah, I respect your opinion--I just disagree. There are so many layers here. Is there a difference between a great race and great racing? What influence does the winner have on perception? Etc., etc., etc.......Like I said, I don't even evaluate any sporting event, really. I attended/watched. It happened. Someone one. I had a great time. When is the next one? This silliness of trying to analyze whether or not what you watched was good or bad is a waste of time yet NASCAR is forced to chase it because of social media and Jeff Gluck.

You have to work around the one trick pony fans. Some don't understand, most do, that when a popular driver wins a race there WILL be more celebration. That is one reason why drivers who wins a lot and a driver who is popular with the fans have so many fans. But in the long run a driver who is popular will continue with it thru out his career, and a driver who wins a lot but is a jackass their popularity will wane and the jeers will come when he ages out.

Don't think your theory plays out. Your jackass, and MY Champion, Kyle Busch is second in Most Popular Driver votes. As for aging out....every driver experiences a popularity decline because the winning stops....and we are back to winning and losing. A losing driver who is popular with the fans draws fans who are there for the beer. Yet, Gluck asks them to vote too.

Back
Top Bottom