'21 Generation 7 Car news

That picture brings up a frustrating question to me. Why in the hell is the greenhouse THAT MUCH narrower than the track width of the car? That is not at all the way street cars are built.
Don't forget they said the car will be more like the street version. As you can see on this Stang the greenhouse and the mule car are very similar

2018-Ford-Mustang-GT-rear-2.jpg

The street cars do not have that 45 degree shed roof on the top third of the doors. I'm sure its partly optics, but factory greenhouse isn't THAT narrow.

Short rear deck. The air intake tubes running to right behind the grill. That diffuser. I see things that look like they will be more susceptible to damage that would impact performance greatly. Get rear ended, loose the diffuser and the aero is off. And the guy who just rear ended you? His intakes are now bent and restricting air, killing horsepower. I'm not calling it a fail of a design, just seeing things and thinking ahead to when the beating and banging start.

yeah the deck sure is shorter. I wonder if the wheelbase is shorter also?

To me it seems like an effort to give the cars an aerodynamic edge they do not need. Widen those things out and let them punch a HUGE hole in the air. It has worked forever in the Truck Series.
I don't think that has a whole lot to do with it. The trucks run a spec motor and without the decals on the front are almost identical. Which BTW the new car is emulating

with the exception of a few spoilerites, almost everyone thinks the car is bad ass. Of course the D/F will never be right and neither will horsepower for some, but that is your basic Nascar fan, couldn't please em no matter what ya do.

It’s a racecar.

Compromises start about 5 minutes after the Cad program starts up. With notable exceptions, nobody gives a damn if the greenhouse is a foot narrower than the one on the car in the showroom.

Well there obviously is a reason for doing it, the question is why?
I don't think that has a whole lot to do with it. The trucks run a spec motor and without the decals on the front are almost identical. Which BTW the new car is emulating

I'm talking about the trucks going all the way back to 1995. They've always had the aerodynamics of a brick, they knock a big hole in the air and the racing has almost always been good. I'm not really in favor of doing ANYTHING to the Cup cars that automatically makes them more aerodynamics than their street going counterparts. Narrowing the greenhouses and flattening the sides of the cars seems counterproductive to what we actually need.

with the exception of a few spoilerites, almost everyone thinks the car is bad ass. Of course the D/F will never be right and neither will horsepower for some, but that is your basic Nascar fan, couldn't please em no matter what ya do.
I want Bill Elliot and the 85 t-Bird back.

Well there obviously is a reason for doing it, the question is why?

Good question.

The correct answer lies in the CFD files ... the simulated aero-map to be specific. My guess is management of the volume of air to the spoiler / reduced frontal area for improved drag coefficient / enables desired aerodynamic balance front to rear ... stuff like that.

Good question.

The correct answer lies in the CFD files ... the simulated aero-map to be specific. My guess is management of the volume of air to the spoiler / reduced frontal area for improved drag coefficient / enables desired aerodynamic balance front to rear ... stuff like that.

Your guess is as good as any. I know they didn't just throw a bunch of parts and pieces at it hoping it will work out. Another thing to consider is that with reduced horsepower that has to increase on the cube to be twice as fast whereas reducing drag numbers to go twice as fast is done by the square. So I would think this car will have a lesser drag coefficient to gain some speed back.

Good question.

That is certainly a logical conclusion to make. As per my comments about the Truck Series though, I don't think reducing drag coefficient is necessarily a good thing.

This is a pretty junky clip. They guy talks thru out it and the view isn't that great. But what was interesting was listening to Logano wind that thing until he saw god

The new engine is still in early development and slated to debut in 2022 at earliest. Have details been provided about what was in this test car?

Logano popped the hood and what stood out to me was a ram air system coming straight from the grill, and the exhaust comes out both sides. I think that alone would change the sound, I doubt it has the new engine, they have another year before they have to run that, so it stands to reason they would be testing it with the current engine I would think

in my uneducated opinion, it looks like they are trying to blow way more air thru the car to help the trailing cars. That diffuser on the rear is going to smooth out the air coming out from under the car, and a lot more air is going to be going under the car because it is raised up and not sealed down to the track.

That is certainly a logical conclusion to make. As per my comments about the Truck Series though, I don't think reducing drag coefficient is necessarily a good thing.
I'm certainly no engineer, but the big difference with the trucks that allows the wide greenhouse is that it abruptly stops behind the driver's head and then you have the length of the "bed" to allow the airflow to reach the spoiler. With the long sedan-like roof of the cup car and a sloped rear window line, I would guess less air actually gets to spoiler. Again, just a hunch as I have no training in aeronautical engineering.

That engine sounds insane. Good God what a difference
The part I was commenting on was usually they hit the chip on the RPM's before going that high. I could be wrong, but that was twisting it pretty tight. The overall sound was different with the exhaust being changed I thought.

Guess some of you forgot the 180* header sound on the plate tracks. The exhaust exiting from both sides is the main change in sound. I doubt he's turning the motor much past 8K. They surely don't want to take a chance of blowing and engine and crashing the test mule. Now i have to go replace the starter on my truck.

I still want to know about the suspension. Coil overs? Quick change diff? DETAILS PLEASE!

Oh...truck starts now. But battery is dying. Going to pick up cheap one from Walmart when they say it's ready.

Guess some of you forgot the 180* header sound on the plate tracks. The exhaust exiting from both sides is the main change in sound. I doubt he's turning the motor much past 8K. They surely don't want to take a chance of blowing and engine and crashing the test mule. Now i have to go replace the starter on my truck.

sounded closer to ten grand to me:idunno:

The part I was commenting on was usually they hit the chip on the RPM's before going that high. I could be wrong, but that was twisting it pretty tight. The overall sound was different with the exhaust being changed I thought.

I would say the new intake would change it as well

What's up with the wheels? Looks like they're still on 5 lugnuts but with some recessed curvature? Are they walking back the idea of center lock or is that something they're still working on?

I don't see how those wheels are going to make the grade. Way too hard for a pit gun to hit the lugs it looks like to me.

They're commercially available in the aftermarket and obviously have the correct bolt pattern, width and back-spacing..

If we're trying to save money, get the current suppliers to run off 7 or 8 thousand 18" steel wheels. Just to get started.

I for one hope we can move on from the current wheels. The REALLY hold back the look of the cars and make them look like junkyard street stocks. It would be no problem to have an alloy or composite wheel with the center area around the lugnuts opened up for better access. Of course no matter what they end up using, some dumb teams will STILL paint them black.

The wheels are very similar to these stock Mustang wheels. As you can see they aren't set up for pit guns and fast pit stops.

iu

The wheels are very similar to these stock Mustang wheels. As you can see they aren't set up for pit guns and fast pit stops.

iu
BUT everyone will be dealing with the same wheels and problems.
I for one like the idea of ONE nut holding the wheel on and any car loosing a wheel is out of the race.

BUT everyone will be dealing with the same wheels and problems.
I for one like the idea of ONE nut holding the wheel on and any car loosing a wheel is out of the race.
I would be waiting for Kryle to say to the cameras, my pit crew couldn't change out the new wheels Nascar is using is the reason I lost the race. The the new car is crap, ya can't pass.

iu
Would you explain how wheels like these hamper pit stops? I'm not into wheels at all and have never been on a pit crew or used an air gun. I see the same five nuts as before.

Thanks.

The lugnuts are recessed into the wheel, unlike a steel wheel where they are right out in the open. That would make it MUCH harder for the tire changer to engage the socket on the nut as fast as they do now, and if a lug nut falls off during the stop, it could be harder to thread a new one on. Granted, NASCAR style wheel studs would help the problem somewhat.

The lugnuts are recessed into the wheel, unlike a steel wheel where they are right out in the open. That would make it MUCH harder for the tire changer to engage the socket on the nut as fast as they do now, and if a lug nut falls off during the stop, it could be harder to thread a new one on. Granted, NASCAR style wheel studs would help the problem somewhat.
So the pit stops might be slower. Who the frack cares about a 1.5 second slower stop. Same for everyone. I'll never understand people that select machinery based on aesthetics either. Some of you just can't be satisfied. They have been trying to "fix" the racing by changing the cars over & over last 15 years. If they are going to do it again how about starting with a clean sheet of paper. NOTHING should be off the table. Why stay stuck in 1950? I don't see the benefit. I've been watching since early 70's. They get one last chance to do things right for me.

Back
Top Bottom