'21 Generation 7 Car news

That's complete nonsense. Aluminum wheels are not installed any differently than steel wheels and are not any more likely to come off than steel wheels. We have employees that can barley walk and chew gum at the same time that have no problem installing these wheels.
Or barely type 'barely’. :p

This is not a surprise.

Well, try to hire young guys that want to be heavy truck technicians in today's world, especially when you're open almost 24/7. Out of every five trainees, you might get one that can be any real help to you. As it applies to this thread, a lot of those trainees end up installing tires because it's one of the LEAST skill required jobs in the shop. You have to be a special kind of stupid to screw it up.

There’s a mechanical engineer here at work I’d like you to meet. Better yet, would you hire him away from us?

This is NOT a knock on higher education, but I am firmly convinced that the stupidest people I have ever met were college graduates. These are the people that can do calculus in their head but aren't smart enough to come in out of the rain.

With the constant struggle to fill the 40 car field I have to wonder how many smaller teams will be a casualty of this new car. I mean there's not going to be any second hand parts available for purchase and I can't imagine they'll all have the capital to purchase a whole new fleet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You only have one?? We have some here that can't figure trig problems WITH a computer....i wouldn't put them on anything...
Just one that's incompetent; the others are pretty good. The one has been banned from two manufacturing departments by their managers. We have to keep him until we can find a replacement or we lose the slot, and in this job market, that's a tough one to fill.

This is NOT a knock on higher education, but I am firmly convinced that the stupidest people I have ever met were college graduates. These are the people that can do calculus in their head but aren't smart enough to come in out of the rain.
Now you've hurt my feelings. :(

Okay, I'm over it. :p

NASCAR Next Gen “P3” prototype is “99 percent” of the final race car
Spec shock, that's big

In addition to that, a source familiar with the negotiations states that NASCAR is likely to select Öhlins as the supplier for the spec shock for the racing series. Öhlins was recently acquired by Tenneco, which has been involved in NASCAR for decades through some of its other brands such as Moog and Federal-Mogul. Tenneco also owns the Monroe brand, so Monroe could supply the shocks if it receives the contract directly.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vi...0/nascar-next-gen-p3-prototype-final-race-car

Question about the 18 inch wheel. Will teams go with bigger brakes now with more room? Aluminum transfers heat much better than steel, where does this heat move to, tire via the tire bead? Will this create any tire issues?

Question about the 18 inch wheel. Will teams go with bigger brakes now with more room? Aluminum transfers heat much better than steel, where does this heat move to, tire via the tire bead? Will this create any tire issues?
Short answer is no, the wheels are vented much better, and yeah they have larger brakes.

Just occurred to me this was scheduled for testing. Any chance they still do it? Would think they would have maybe 20 people at the test? This could really screw up the implementation of the new car. I know we have bigger concerns but just thinking.

Just occurred to me this was scheduled for testing. Any chance they still do it? Would think they would have maybe 20 people at the test? This could really screw up the implementation of the new car. I know we have bigger concerns but just thinking.

That ban is relative to the current generation car. The testing of Gen 7 is already tightly controlled by NASCAR. They've ceased for now, but the "not directly related to the Next Gen car" language hints that they expect to be working on it before a general testing ban is lifted.

Official announcement expected later this week. Options include partial rollout, similar to the COT in 2007, and selecting a specific race and running the new car from then onwards.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if it ultimately winds up being postponed to 2022 at some point this year.

Official announcement expected later this week. Options include partial rollout, similar to the COT in 2007, and selecting a specific race and running the new car from then onwards.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if it ultimately winds up being postponed to 2022 at some point this year.

I'll be surprised if there is ANY racing this year. Much more important things coming our way. Like finding food when the immigrants that pick the food get sick and die. This is going to get ugly. But I'm sure the "hoax'ers" will say it's overblown. Until a few thousand die off.

Maybe, but as a matter of cost savings, I believe there are strong arguments in favor of introducing the new car at some point in the middle of 2021 if possible. As I understand it, there are two big cost benefits from the Gen 7 car. First, each car built will cost less because of the vastly higher single source spec content. And second, a dramatic reduction in the size of the fleet, also because of the higher single source spec content. This means that one design will be used for all 36 races in terms of body and chassis... quite the opposite of current practices among the larger teams.

Roger Penske projected that the current fleet of 15-20 cars per entry could be reduced to 5-6 cars per entry. So that would create a powerful disincentive to wait until February 2022 to roll out the Gen 7 car.

I like the sequential shifter. Most modern cars have gone that route, Grand-Am/IMSA/LM have had a front engine sequential box for many years.

Maybe, but as a matter of cost savings, I believe there are strong arguments in favor of introducing the new car at some point in the middle of 2021 if possible. As I understand it, there are two big cost benefits from the Gen 7 car. First, each car built will cost less because of the vastly higher single source spec content. And second, a dramatic reduction in the size of the fleet, also because of the higher single source spec content. This means that one design will be used for all 36 races in terms of body and chassis... quite the opposite of current practices among the larger teams.

Roger Penske projected that the current fleet of 15-20 cars per entry could be reduced to 5-6 cars per entry. So that would create a powerful disincentive to wait until February 2022 to roll out the Gen 7 car.
The biggest problem I think is that there will be so much dead time all throughout the industry for an uncertain period of time that you have to wonder if they can really just roll a schedule soon that says we’ll start racing them at Week X in 2021 and proceed from there. Between losing God knows how many months of testing and any manufacturing delays or financial problems by vendors postponing to 2022 may just be the best option logistically.

The biggest problem I think is that there will be so much dead time all throughout the industry for an uncertain period of time that you have to wonder if they can really just roll a schedule soon that says we’ll start racing them at Week X in 2021 and proceed from there. Between losing God knows how many months of testing and any manufacturing delays or financial problems by vendors postponing to 2022 may just be the best option logistically.
I suspect sponsorships are going to be far and few. The motorsports business model runs on somebody else's money. If the "else's" don't have and money to spend the wheel stop turning. I'm sure some of the rose collored glasses people will say there has always been racing. Yep. 15 guys turning laps in a field is a bunch different than a multi-bazillion dollar televised deal. Our life has changed. Racing has no relevance at this time. I still say...no racing for 2020 and probably a limited series in 2021 at best. Please don't take this as an attack on Nascar. Everyone is going to have different priorities.

I suspect sponsorships are going to be far and few. The motorsports business model runs on somebody else's money. If the "else's" don't have and money to spend the wheel stop turning. I'm sure some of the rose collored glasses people will say there has always been racing. Yep. 15 guys turning laps in a field is a bunch different than a multi-bazillion dollar televised deal. Our life has changed. Racing has no relevance at this time. I still say...no racing for 2020 and probably a limited series in 2021 at best. Please don't take this as an attack on Nascar. Everyone is going to have different priorities.
might work if the media wasn't involved. But it is

I think your right in that there will not be enough sponsor money for things to return as they were. They will be lucky to get 12-15 million per car and with that kind of money, there goes your top money drivers.

I think your right in that there will not be enough sponsor money for things to return as they were. They will be lucky to get 12-15 million per car and with that kind of money, there goes your top money drivers.
Where do you think they'll go? What alternatives will be able to pay better?

The 'top money' drivers will still be there. The top money just won't be as much. That started trending lower a few years ago.

I think this is crazy lol. Too much gloom and doom going on with this virus these days

The 'top money' drivers will still be there. The top money just won't be as much. That started trending lower a few years ago.
I think those with 60 Million or more will decide that life after Nascar can be good.
Harvick for 1 already has many irons in the fire.

flipping burgers at Pearn's place in Canada would be my guess.

I think you can right off 2020 and start 2021 as if it is 2020.
Bring out the Gen car accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom