'21 Generation 7 Car news

Saw where they mentioned just that problem with early crashed car. I'm guessing the one Byron wrecked. Said the mounting plate actually rotated? Not in the direction expected. They changed the design/mounting of them.
I think what you are missing in part is that the center section is for the drivers protection. It isn't damage free

I think what you are missing in part is that the center section is for the drivers protection. It isn't damage free
???? The RCR car center section survived? THAT was a big hit. He did basically what killed Dale Sr.

It's my understanding if center section gets damaged, goes back to Technique?

???? The RCR car center section survived? THAT was a big hit. He did basically what killed Dale Sr.

It's my understanding if center section gets damaged, goes back to Technique?
trying to use that example as something that will be the norm next year? Good luck with that

Austin Dillion made it back to the track alright but he was slow. IF they had spent that much time on a backup car, I happen to believe he would have been faster but they had to fix that car because it was setup for the test. Dillion was happy they were able to make it back for some important test data. This wasn't about a racing environment but a testing one

Everyone involved in this thread needs to go listen to the Latest Dale Jr Download. Harvick talking alot about the new car.
I don't pay too much attention to drivers, some hang on every word they say. People like Logano will drive anything they have and adapt, others never have much positive to say about anything. So there is something for everyone. It's almost a law of Physics that it is easier to tear something down than to build it up.

I don't pay too much attention to drivers, some hang on every word they say. People like Logano will drive anything they have and adapt, others never have much positive to say about anything. So there is something for everyone. It's almost a law of Physics that it is easier to tear something down than to build it up.
Harvick has been around since 2001 in Cup. Driven those iterations. to paraphrase his comments--new car drives similar to 99-2002 cars (he's including Busch cars from before Cup also) but with less power. Says they have to mechanically tighten the car up so much just to keep from spinning alone, that the car doesn't work at all behind another car. Huge push. Car lacks balance. Needs front grip & MORE POWER!

Talked a lot about how few cars are going to be available for first several races. It's HIS opinion but just because he's not your favorite doesn't make it completely invalid. But you do you boo. Hardhead!:owquitit:

Harvick has been around since 2001 in Cup. Driven those iterations. to paraphrase his comments--new car drives similar to 99-2002 cars (he's including Busch cars from before Cup also) but with less power. Says they have to mechanically tighten the car up so much just to keep from spinning alone, that the car doesn't work at all behind another car. Huge push. Car lacks balance. Needs front grip & MORE POWER!

Talked a lot about how few cars are going to be available for first several races. It's HIS opinion but just because he's not your favorite doesn't make it completely invalid. But you do you boo. Hardhead!:owquitit:
Good deal, hang on to every word

It's similar to that around here. They hate when the cars can pass more, but then a day later they say the package sucks because they can't pass.

1638379392137.png

Phoenix Raceway Offers Free First Look at NASCAR Next Gen Cars on Jan. 25 - Jayski's NASCAR Silly Season Site

There will most definitely be a plethora of spare clips and cars in the desert for this test.
Harvick isn't convinced. Concerned about getting enough parts to make it thru first half of the season. My impression was, teams running for Championship may have to consider that. Take whatever finish you can get without tearing stuff up. Work on speed second half of season.

I thought one of the pit crew guys (Maybe stacking pennies?) said that the new wheel only had like 6 pins? Is this the way easier lining up the pins? Man with that damage I wouldn't think the life of a wheel will be too long. But I guess I don't know what the life of a steel wheel was either

This is really going nowhere. I'm all wrong. No Next gen car will ever be touched at the track. These professionals just can't do it. Impossible!
I'm sure you must know by now that arguing with the no-it-alls around here is an exercise in futility.
I thought one of the pit crew guys (Maybe stacking pennies?) said that the new wheel only had like 6 pins? Is this the way easier lining up the pins? Man with that damage I wouldn't think the life of a wheel will be too long. But I guess I don't know what the life of a steel wheel was either
Yes, I'm sure the wheel has more hole than there are dowels to make installation quicker.

^^^ I'll have what he's having, miss.
My point was that although I'm not sure 850HP would break it immediately, it sure would shorten it's life. Road courses and Martinsville would be the places most likely to break it. Although I suppose any pitstop would be fraught with terror. So...now I'm concerned like Sen. Susan Collins.

If the cars race better with more hp I think getting a stronger transaxle would be pretty easy to overcome. I'm not sure if one is currently available, but I can guarantee that with all the race teams they could come up with a pretty stout piece

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Good for 950 plus a generous "over-engineering margin" ...

"The transmission is built to handle the 750bhp maximum output of the current Cup engines, with an additional 150kW (200bhp) for a future hybrid, while also accepting the back torque spikes caused by wheel hop which can occur as cars come into pit. NASCAR did not specify a mileage requirement, an understandable omission given the very different duty cycles seen from track to track. However, a reasonable running distance is expected and Barton notes that with its current ring and pinions, a big team is happy to achieve 500 miles use at a track like Martinsville, but on superspeedways, a running life of 8,000 miles is not unheard of."

Good for 950 plus a generous "over-engineering margin" ...

"The transmission is built to handle the 750bhp maximum output of the current Cup engines, with an additional 150kW (200bhp) for a future hybrid, while also accepting the back torque spikes caused by wheel hop which can occur as cars come into pit. NASCAR did not specify a mileage requirement, an understandable omission given the very different duty cycles seen from track to track. However, a reasonable running distance is expected and Barton notes that with its current ring and pinions, a big team is happy to achieve 500 miles use at a track like Martinsville, but on superspeedways, a running life of 8,000 miles is not unheard of."

I had forgotten where I'd seen the 750HP #. So they aren't likely to go above 750 with the IC powerplant. Let's see if the engineerds got it right.

"If you can get it (NextGen car) to drive good at Charlotte, it will probably drive good at most of the other intermediates."

Damn, Hamlin isn't clueless after all.:D

He makes a good point, this car isn't nearly as aero friendly. Combine that with a larger wheel base, and you've got something that just simply doesn't have enough speed. Really interested to see how they run at Phoenix

From a demo I watched somewhere, repairs where made by changing panels ONLY and they said if this can't be done, then the car is retired. ( I don't keep copies or links to stuff I read).
I'm pretty sure that's body repairs only, and does not apply to engine, suspension, cooling, steering, fuel delivery, etc.

I'm pretty sure that's body repairs only, and does not apply to engine, suspension, cooling, steering, fuel delivery, etc.
I'm assuming they still have the crash clock? So probably not enough time for anything but tires & tape during a race for crash damage. But if a car has a part failure and goes to garage, say brake failure, I'm assuming they can repair that. I'll be surprised if we don't see a number of weird failures first half of season. They don't know what they don't know.

Back when the GT40 was created the team figured out they could swap the whole front suspension faster than replacing the brakes. These cars might well do that too. Teams need laps even if they finish 30 laps down.

My point was that although I'm not sure 850HP would break it immediately, it sure would shorten it's life. Road courses and Martinsville would be the places most likely to break it. Although I suppose any pitstop would be fraught with terror. So...now I'm concerned like Sen. Susan Collins.
Sorry, I was referring to 2Sweet’s post.

NASCAR seeks to find some answers in the wind tunnel Friday. Officials will take what is learned there and apply it to a three-car test Dec. 10 on the Charlotte Motor Speedway oval. That precedes an organizational test there for all Cup teams Dec. 15 and 17.
The car’s handling, particularly in traffic during two tests days at Charlotte last month, raised concerns — even more than the slower speeds.

Joey Logano will be among those taking part in the three-car test next week.

“I think right now we just need to figure out how do we get cars as close as possible and race as good as we can,” he said Thursday before the NASCAR Awards program. “There’s a lot of pieces to this new car that will allow that.”

The design of the new car, though, has changed where the aerodynamic “dirty air” affects a trailing car.

“If you could imagine a boat where the wake would get wide but to the right,” Logano said of the previous car. “So, if you’re three car lengths back, and you move to the right, you’re done. You’d rather go to the left or stay right behind the car. It was worse if you went to the right.

“Now (with the Next Gen car), if you go to the right, it’s cleaner air. … Almost like the (leading) car isn’t even there. That part is a huge gain. It’s getting that when you’re actually behind a car better. That wake is bigger right now.

“You can imagine all the air is funneling right behind (the leading car) instead of being dispersed all the way across it. That part is where I think we can make some adjustments to make it better, but I think there’s definitely some great signs of hope to fix ‘dirty air’ on ovals.

I find it fascinating as hell that they can use sim to set up a car, but they are surprised by what happens when you get more cars on the track.

I find it fascinating as hell that they can use sim to set up a car, but they are surprised by what happens when you get more cars on the track.
I think it is going to be hard at first using sim this year with only the few limited amount of track tests they have been doing to get accurate data with one car much less a pack.

I'm guessing here but I think what Logano was saying about the old car compared to the new is that the old car with the flat sides and skewed to the right created an aero mess on the right side compared to the new car that is higher off the track that creates one for the car right behind it. I'm glad it isn't my job to fix that. I'm not sure they can.

I think it is going to be hard at first using sim this year with only the few limited amount of track tests they have been doing to get accurate data with one car much less a pack.

I'm guessing here but I think what Logano was saying about the old car compared to the new is that the old car with the flat sides and skewed to the right created an aero mess on the right side compared to the new car that is higher off the track that creates one for the car right behind it. I'm glad it isn't my job to fix that. I'm not sure they can.
Yeah, that's the way I read it too. Do you think the flat under tray and diffuser make this worse?

It's just so cool to me. I hope that this doesn't become an exercise in marginalizing the car and set ups in order to chase "perfect racing." Regardless, it is going to be fascinating to see what happens.....and then in the background you have the engine builders going balls to the walls to find an advantage. I would imagine that there is much in the area of intake and exhaust....and those are significant areas. As I have noted, I love this direction.

Yeah, that's the way I read it too. Do you think the flat under tray and diffuser make this worse?
along with the smooth underside, that and the diffuser direct air out the back of the car. The diffuser was supposed to smooth out the turbulence. :idunno:Problem is both of those working together give the car downforce.

I don't think there will ever be perfect aero racing, it's like an endless whack a mole. They can't re write the laws of physics.

Back
Top Bottom