'21 Generation 7 Car news

My issue with some of this forums members is they refuse to even discuss the possibilities. "I/we" are not qualified to have an opinion. If you don't have PHD in metallurgy, you an idiot with a keyboard. It may surprise some that there ARE steps between those. Am I capable of designing a chassis by myself. Nope. Can't do the math. But much like the old, if it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck...anyone remember when modifieds were killing drivers? They redesigned the front clips. Cars got too stiff. Went back 10 years to what worked but didn't kill anyone.

I just remember what Dale Sr's car looked like after the wreck. Didn't look like much damage. The NASCAR report explained it fairly well. Time of deceleration was what killed him. Those of us that are critical of NASCAR's design just don't want to see a repeat of that tragedy. Or guys end up like Kurt/Dale Jr. That argument is frequently answered with the old, I don't care about others, they know what they signed up for. Seems awful cold. There was a story that Rusty looked at Dale's car after the wreck, went to shop and had "the spider" cut out of front of chassis. Spider being fairly small tubing that had been added over time to stiffen the chassis. Triangulation creates stiffness.

It's like Pro Football denialism. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? Watching people permanently maim themselves & others sells really well. It's the society we live in. I don't have to like it so I just don't watch it. Watched very little Cup this season. But not much Busch or Truck either for that matter.

Ray Evernham has said very much the same thing. In the late 90's in the quest for better handling they kept making the front ends stiffer and stiffer and all the sudden people started dying. Ray has admitted that he was one of the guys that helped send NASCAR down that path. Even the mid 90's built former Bud Moore cars I worked on had a 1 1/2" SOLID bar across the front of the engine, and extra braces all over the place.

What the hell? This seems odd to me. A Chevrolet team renting crew members from a Toyota team?
Money is money this isn't the first time pit crews have crossed manufacturer lines

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Perhaps, but I can't recall it happening before, and I figure Petty GMS would hire their own guys instead of paying for JGR's B-team
JGR has very very deep pockets the C team over there might be better than what GMS can afford on their own.

You have to remember JGR is going to have these guys either way, might as well try to make a little something off them. It's really a win win

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

19 different winners on our way to 20.
1663507686574.gif

1663508060608.gif

Wonder who's going to shill for this car now.

Room for improvement at some places. Short tracks? Disasterous. It's a mini Talladega.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wonder who's going to shill for this car now.
I expect they’ll continue to develop it ... looking for improvement.

That’s what they do. The first word that jumps into a racer’s head when a problem surfaces is “why” ... not “blame”.

I expect they’ll continue to develop it ... looking for improvement.

That’s what they do. The first word that jumps into a racer’s head when a problem surfaces is “why” ... not “blame”.

Except that NASCAR and the team owners don't seem to like most of the most obvious things that could fix some of this, because it doesn't fit into their one size fits all race car model. It's also hard not to "blame" when you have so little control over anything. It also doesn't help when you have Goodyear bringing air filled hockey pucks for race tires. I once said Goodyear was the only tire company that could build a performance tire that was too hard to hook up in the rain, yet still soft enough to wear out in 30,000 miles. Well they are probably the only company that could build a tire that will run 200 laps at Bristol without falling off, yet is still vulnerable to blowouts.

Except that NASCAR and the team owners don't seem to like most of the most obvious things that could fix some of this, because it doesn't fit into their one size fits all race car model. It's also hard not to "blame" when you have so little control over anything. It also doesn't help when you have Goodyear bringing air filled hockey pucks for race tires. I once said Goodyear was the only tire company that could build a performance tire that was too hard to hook up in the rain, yet still soft enough to wear out in 30,000 miles. Well they are probably the only company that could build a tire that will run 200 laps at Bristol without falling off, yet is still vulnerable to blowouts.
Tires fail when too much heat is generated too quickly. The manufacturer makes recommendations for a static camber setting and an initial tire pressure in order to negate / minimize the failure problem. Driver inputs also play into this.

Race teams have exceeded those numbers since forever. Not all teams suffered failures at Bristol and none of this has anything to do with wear.

The transaxles are capable of running much more HP than they are right now. With so much mechanical grip at short tracks we really have to look at running at least 750 HP there. The average high/low temp for the upcoming Martinsville race is even lower than for the April date so lack of tire wear may well be an issue again.

This car is awesome at multi-groove high speed intermediates but with the North Wilkesboro and Fontana developments the short tracks have to be improved.

Tires fail when too much heat is generated too quickly. The manufacturer makes recommendations for a static camber setting and an initial tire pressure in order to negate / minimize the failure problem. Driver inputs also play into this.

Race teams have exceeded those numbers since forever. Not all teams suffered failures at Bristol and none of this has anything to do with wear.
[/QUOTE

Yes dear I know all of that, but it is kind of ironic that a tire that refuses to wear out can be damaged so easily.

Keselowski won Stage 1. Went all the way on one set.

He had a tire failure later in the race. I wonder if they decided to let a little air out before the preceding pit stop?

The transaxles are capable of running much more HP than they are right now. With so much mechanical grip at short tracks we really have to look at running at least 750 HP there. The average high/low temp for the upcoming Martinsville race is even lower than for the April date so lack of tire wear may well be an issue again.

This car is awesome at multi-groove high speed intermediates but with the North Wilkesboro and Fontana developments the short tracks have to be improved.
I would add that with the amount of road courses we're running it'd be beneficial as well

Quick fix for Martinsville. You get 5 sets. The first is your q set, then 4 sets the rest of the race. Half of the original allotment. More than enough to run 500 laps, when you put them on would be some pretty interesting race strategy.

That isn't how you make educated decisions with little testing, a new car, and one race on the track. That seems to work for some of the R-F experts. But it creates more problems than it fixes without enough data to support a change.

That isn't how you make educated decisions with little testing, a new car, and one race on the track. That seems to work for some of the R-F experts. But it creates more problems than it fixes without enough data to support a change.
I assume you are talking to me. You can gleen tons of data doing it exactly the way I stated. You dont need 10 sets of tires, as a matter of fact the less tires the better for capturing data. Putting on a new set every 50-75 laps doesnt tell you anything.

I assume you are talking to me. You can gleen tons of data doing it exactly the way I stated. You dont need 10 sets of tires, as a matter of fact the less tires the better for capturing data. Putting on a new set every 50-75 laps doesnt tell you anything.
nope I wasn't talking to you. The whole idea that there is going to be a lot of passing on a small track is flawed to start with.

nope I wasn't talking to you. The whole idea that there is going to be a lot of passing on a small track is flawed to start with.
Ok , two different conversations. I was just thinking out loud on trying to make Martinsville more interesting than the first race.

Part of it is these guys seem to be spending more time wheel holding and trying to keep from being eliminated than they are racing

Back
Top Bottom