'21 Generation 7 Car news

As usual, Harvick knows just about enough to be dangerous. Honorable mention goes to the R-F crack design team.

Pretty sure Kevin has driven the car more than said "Official " has. Seems he would have first hand experience...

Pretty sure Kevin has driven the car more than said "Official " has. Seems he would have first hand experience...
You do realize his position is all-encompassing of being involved on track, dealing with OEMs, etc. He knows a lot as well, maybe not behind the seat, but he sees the issues and all of the data OEMs, vendors, and all other parties involved see.

He even admitted there was no excuse for what happened.

You do realize his position is all-encompassing of being involved on track, dealing with OEMs, etc. He knows a lot as well, maybe not behind the seat, but he sees the issues and all of the data OEMs, vendors, and all other parties involved see.

He even admitted there was no excuse for what happened.
Here is what he said in context. Those who are not familiar with the design process and those who try to blame the sins of the world on Nascar not knowing what the parts process really was, not only do a disservice to the sport, but they don't look very knowledgeable.

All the teams and (manufacturers) were involved in the RFP process when we chose the parts. Everybody’s got a stake in this, and it’s not just NASCAR choosing quote-unquote, crappy parts.”
Bristol is definitely a unique load case,” Miller said. “Some things cropped up with the steering that weren’t expected. Honestly no excuse, but with the newness of this car and the newness of everything, I think that it’s not acceptable to have problems, but it’s probably part of the learning process for us.

Wilson on engine and steering rack failures ...

“I know, at least two or three of those cars literally blew out the seals in the (steering) rack, which happened from too much pressure.”

Imagine that ...

Wilson on engine and steering rack failures ...

“I know, at least two or three of those cars literally blew out the seals in the (steering) rack, which happened from too much pressure.”

Imagine that ...

You left out THIS sentence:

“Even when it hasn’t resulted in a terminal issue, I know, almost every week, the drivers, to varying degrees and varying race tracks, have been unhappy with their steering.

“There’s no question that NASCAR and the teams are looking at (it). … We need to fix this moving forward.”

You left out THIS sentence:

“Even when it hasn’t resulted in a terminal issue, I know, almost every week, the drivers, to varying degrees and varying race tracks, have been unhappy with their steering.

“There’s no question that NASCAR and the teams are looking at (it). … We need to fix this moving forward.”

^^ It’s common knowledge. I didn’t find it necessary to include it.

Interestingly, the steering racks are one of the few “crappy parts” teams are allowed to work on. I mentioned the adjustable hydraulic pressure a few days ago. It would appear that screw has been turned. Up.

I had a catastrophic failure with a non-PS Woodward rack once.
Leading the points at midseason with a brand new (2 weeks old) rack and went directly into the wall out of 4.
Harvick is right.
Crappy ass parts.

I did read the article. What displeased you about my opinion?
Here is what you said ^^ You are saying Harvick has first hand experience designing the car and sourcing parts? So he gets on his soapbox and blames Nascar for everything when in essence he is throwing teams and manufacturers some his own people under the bus.

All the teams and (manufacturers) were involved in the RFP process when we chose the parts. Everybody’s got a stake in this, and it’s not just NASCAR choosing quote-unquote, crappy parts.”

Here is what you said ^^ You are saying Harvick has first hand experience designing the car and sourcing parts? So he gets on his soapbox and blames Nascar for everything when in essence he is throwing teams and manufacturers some his own people under the bus.

You're a Beaut. You can't even quote correctly. I said he drove the car, not any "first hand experince" designing it.

You're a Beaut. You can't even quote correctly. I said he drove the car, not any "first hand experince" designing it.
That was what the article was about. The design of the car and the people involved in the parts/manufacturing. This isn't the pinewood derby, it's a very intricate process involving many people and processes.

That was what the article was about. The design of the car and the people involved in the parts/manufacturing. This isn't the pinewood derby, it's a very intricate process involving many people and processes.
Ultimately it is the driver who has the experience. Not 'many' people who haven't driven the product.

^^ It’s common knowledge. I didn’t find it necessary to include it.

Interestingly, the steering racks are one of the few “crappy parts” teams are allowed to work on. I mentioned the adjustable hydraulic pressure a few days ago. It would appear that screw has been turned. Up.
Right or wrong, I felt you were implying that that everything wrong with the steering is the teams fault, and my point is that drivers have been unhappy with them from day one.

Except how many NASCAR teams have experience with the types of components that make up the new car? How many of their people have worked on rack and pinion steering systems in race cars, and even if they have, it wasn't in a car this heavy, so how much input could they really give?

Except how many NASCAR teams have experience with the types of components that make up the new car? How many of their people have worked on rack and pinion steering systems in race cars, and even if they have, it wasn't in a car this heavy, so how much input could they really give?
They can run their mouths whenever something doesn't go their way while others will solve the problems.

Right or wrong, I felt you were implying that that everything wrong with the steering is the teams fault, and my point is that drivers have been unhappy with them from day one.
Not what I intended to imply at all.

Adjusting the steering rack’s hydraulic pressure up or down to suit driver preference is a common adjustment undertaken on every NASCAR/other Late Model for almost 5 decades.

That would include the Southwest Tour cars ably driven by Kevin Harvick, with which I am most familiar.

That's what they pay experts for, or should be. If your people don't have the skills, augment them until they do.

How many?

Most of them. Coil-over rack and pinion cars are as common as dirt in NASCAR and have been for a long time.

How many?

Most of them. Coil-over rack and pinion cars are as common as dirt in NASCAR and have been for a long time.
Most of the TEAMS have never run them, those cars aren't anywhere near as heavy as a Cup car, the races aren't near as long and there are a lot of people on these NASCAR teams nowdays, particularity the engineers that have never worked on anything but the top three NASCAR series. I don't think anything the teams had to say would mean that much. They would be guessing just like anybody else.

Semantics.

One would think rack and pinion steering came out of NASA last year. This problem will disappear in short order.

1664198508628.png
1664198570437.png

Back
Top Bottom