Las Vegas test 1/31-2/1

Haven’t been able to follow. So who’s fast or at least stands out some? Are the Fords at a disadvantage with the new car? Thanks
The last draft session this morning, Kez led from lap two until the end with Kurt (Chev), and Clint second and third. I haven't seen any manufacturer have an advantage so far in any of the tests

Its like hitting a wall when the second place car gets behind the leader...

That's my only gripe. They are probably going to have to bump up the power a bit, at least IMO.

Its like hitting a wall when the second place car gets behind the leader...

That's my only gripe. They are probably going to have to bump up the power a bit, at least IMO.

not sure it is that simple. The leader car will be going faster with more power and Aero is a quadratic increase in relation to speed. I have a headache. And Indy has push to pass..perish the thought.

Haven’t been able to follow. So who’s fast or at least stands out some?

Serious answer: whoever gets the best tow. The objective is to even the playing field, not have guy's stand out. If I had to pick someone Keselowski stood out, the same way he does at Dega and Daytona.

Serious answer: whoever gets the best tow. The objective is to even the playing field, not have guy's stand out. If I had to pick someone Keselowski stood out, the same way he does at Dega and Daytona.
Thank you....lending is one thing But can they race to the front. Sounds like they can move up but the leader has the advantage. I saw someone said that may go away after tires wear so hopefully that’s the case.

not sure it is that simple. The leader car will be going faster with more power and Aero is a quadratic increase in relation to speed. I have a headache. And Indy has push to pass..perish the thought.

Its a test for a reason. This whole deal is far from over and NASCAR will implement in-season changes for the best result possible. We'll see how it goes throughout the season.

Its a test for a reason. This whole deal is far from over and NASCAR will implement in-season changes for the best result possible. We'll see how it goes throughout the season.
yeah, with the five data cars and driver and engineer input I think it turned out pretty good, the two sessions today weren't as racy, a lot of single file. Who knows, they could have been testing something.

I will reiterate what I said a few months ago. If NASCAR thinks this is a one size fits all solution, I think there is going to be a LOT of disappointed people. What works for certain tracks, even similar ones, may not work for others.

I will reiterate what I said a few months ago. If NASCAR thinks this is a one size fits all solution, I think there is going to be a LOT of disappointed people. What works for certain tracks, even similar ones, may not work for others.

One of the bullet points for this package was "reduction in cost". Now we're going to ask them to specialize a package for each track?

at least we will still have the last 5 lap shootout and wreck fest.just tune in for the last 20 minutes, that should keep the sponsors happy.

More wrecks, longer races and cars glued together. We’ll see what the numbers and demographics look like as the year progresses.

I saw the Las Vegas testing session and honestly I'm not impressed. I don't think lower HP and higher drag is the answer because while yes, the leader didn't run away with the lead, the guys behind him didn't close the gap and pass him either.

I saw the Las Vegas testing session and honestly I'm not impressed. I don't think lower HP and higher drag is the answer because while yes, the leader didn't run away with the lead, the guys behind him didn't close the gap and pass him either.

I heard a guy at the track say the same thing. He said that the FRM guys will still be in 30th place with the new rules but will be 3 seconds behind instead of 30 seconds or more. If this is true then Nascar must think it’s fans are a bunch of ignorant suckers.

I heard a guy at the track say the same thing. He said that the FRM guys will still be in 30th place with the new rules but will be 3 seconds behind instead of 30 seconds or more. If this is true then Nascar must think it’s fans are a bunch of ignorant suckers.

Well why don’t people hate on INDYCAR then? I guess I get it’s a radical change on larger speedways but INDYCAR is flat footing it and using slipstreams for most tracks

Well why don’t people hate on INDYCAR then?
Well, since you ask... :waver:
I don't post much in IndyCar threads, because I don't see any point in trashing the product and polluting those threads like Ol' 3-Time does in most Nascar threads. It's for the same reason I don't go to basketball forums to say what's wrong with that sport, of which I am not a fan.

But since you ask, I think most IndyCar races are pretty grim stuff with the aero focus and dearth of head-to-head competition. Often, the biggest factor is timing of pit stops. If Nascar racing was as non-racy as IndyCar, most Nascar fans here would be in total revolt, IMO. But I do love the Indy 500, and Road America is usually good as well. Just my $0.02.

I'm not saying that constitutes an answer, but I WOULD consider it an improvement over what we have had. 30 cars within three seconds, I'll take that......

Well why don’t people hate on INDYCAR then? I guess I get it’s a radical change on larger speedways but INDYCAR is flat footing it and using slipstreams for most tracks

IndyCar on ovals is a bit of an endangered species at this point, so I'm not sure how to quantify "most tracks“. In short, the era of IndyCar flat footed pack racing on intermediate ovals is not generally well viewed or respected, and the series is moving away from that. I don't think there are many direct comparables between NASCAR and IndyCar, but for what it's worth, it is hard to argue that era of IndyCar helped the series and left it in a better place.

Plenty of people hated the IRL, it helped effectively kill open wheel racing in this country. Modern IndyCar resembling CART more than it does the IRL didn’t happen by accident. There are only three superspeedways left and 2018 superspeedway racing didn’t resemble the style of racing that’s been more prevalent than not in 21st century open wheel racing.

Also, there's a major difference in perception by the viewer, between flat footing it at 170 in the safest race cars on the planet, versus flat footing it at 210 220 in an open wheel that can disintegrate on impact.

Plenty of people hated the IRL, it helped effectively kill open wheel racing in this country. Modern IndyCar resembling CART more than it does the IRL didn’t happen by accident. There are only three superspeedways left and 2018 superspeedway racing didn’t resemble the style of racing that’s been more prevalent than not in 21st century open wheel racing.

Remember at Auto Club in 2015 when they used the "higher-downforce" package to create more pack racing?

It was a solid race... Until folks realized they were going too fast to be pack racing. You're right, there is a big difference between IndyCar and NASCAR.

I'm not saying that constitutes an answer, but I WOULD consider it an improvement over what we have had. 30 cars within three seconds, I'll take that......

The people that like closer competition, like more wrecks, like longer races with more red flags and like pack racing.....well they are gonna love 2019.

Back
Top Bottom