Lowe's will not sponsor Johnson in 2019

Things change. No sponsorship lasts forever.

That said, when two of your longest running sponsors, Target and Lowe’s both bail in back to back years, you’ve got issues.

NASCAR and it’s teams have to find a way to make things cheaper. All there is to it.

That said, when two of your longest running sponsors, Target and Lowe’s both bail in back to back years, you’ve got issues.

NASCAR and it’s teams have to find a way to make things cheaper. All there is to it.
Also, don't forget that longtime sponsor Miller Lite dialed their sponsorship way back. I think they're only on the 2 car for 11 races this year.

Eh, big box stores in general are struggling. Its all cost savings.

If JJ was sponsored by Amazon this whole time there’d be no issue.

No sponsorship deal lasts forever, I guess. Home Depot left a while ago, and that makes it much easier for Lowe's to do the same, given their poor corporate financial performance. I've heard reports from insiders that Lowe's is paying less than before, and that is squeezing Hendrick's margin. I believe Allenbaba has alluded to that here.

Meanwhile, Menard's continues to expand their investment in racing. Clearly, they think they are getting good ROI or they wouldn't be branching out into more and more racing series.

I think it's more to do with how much the people in charge like racing and much less about ROI

Eh, big box stores in general are struggling. Its all cost savings.

If JJ was sponsored by Amazon this whole time there’d be no issue.
This right here , Lowe's earnings have been down, this was a cost cutting move, nothing more, nothing less.

Crazy news. I hope this doesn’t force JJ out of the sport, feel he’s got a few good years left. Don’t see how it’s good for the sport when your 7 time champion and the GOAT of a generation loses his sponsor

Reactions: Pat
Honestly, I like Lowe's more but Home Depot is closer to my house so I shop at Home Depot more often.

NASCAR didnt lose anything

Strictly speaking Nascar didn't lose anything when Jeff, Tony and Dale Jr retired either but the sanctioning body, tracks and teams have a symbiotic relationship so what is good for one is good for the other and vice versa

Does anybody really think Johnson will go sponsorless a year from now? If he races, he will have sponsors.

I'm lost with what a "symbolic relationship" have to do with this?

I didn't say symbolic but symbiotic and a symbiotic relationship just means a mutually beneficial relationship for all parties or a relationship where all parties need each other.

A few thoughts.
1) It's kind of sad to me because Lowes and Jimmie Johnson are just synonymous, kind of like this era's STP and Petty. It's just a shame they couldn't have found a way to be involved at some level with the team until Jimmie retired, like Axalta did with Jeff Gordon. Though technically not the same company, Jeff got to retire with the sponsor he broke into Cup with.
2) Even though technically NASCAR didn't lose anything, there is no good way to spin this as far as NASCAR is concerned. If you're trying to convince some company to sponsor YOUR team, there is no good way to spin this.
3) If Lowes indeed is not getting the ROI they are looking for I would say a good portion of the blame is on Lowes themselves. When was the last time they did ANYTHING with the sport other than put a car on the track? The haven't done a new commercial featuring Jimmie for a LONG time, and in their stores around here, you basically wouldn't even know they were in the sport. One of the three local stores has a banner of the car on the wall that is a good 10 years old and nothing else. The other two stores don't even have THAT. At least around here, the ONLY Lowes/Jimmie Johnson item you could EVER buy in the store, even back in the "Glory days" was a freakin' gift card with the car or the number on it. If you want to get return on a NASCAR investment, you have to do a hell of a lot more than stick a logo on the side of the car, especially in the current climate.
4) The whole thing probably IS my fault, because despite my love for the 48 team, I buy 99% of my stuff at Menards. In my opinion, Menards make Lowes and Home Depot look like rank amateurs.

Does anybody really think Johnson will go sponsorless a year from now? If he races, he will have sponsors.

Who said JJ would go without sponsors in 2018?

Why would you suggest that the owners, tracks and Nascar don't have a symbiotic relationship? That is like saying engines and transmissions don't have a symbiotic relationship!

A few thoughts.
1) It's kind of sad to me because Lowes and Jimmie Johnson are just synonymous, kind of like this era's STP and Petty. It's just a shame they couldn't have found a way to be involved at some level with the team until Jimmie retired, like Axalta did with Jeff Gordon. Though technically not the same company, Jeff got to retire with the sponsor he broke into Cup with.
2) Even though technically NASCAR didn't lose anything, there is no good way to spin this as far as NASCAR is concerned. If you're trying to convince some company to sponsor YOUR team, there is no good way to spin this.
3) If Lowes indeed is not getting the ROI they are looking for I would say a good portion of the blame is on Lowes themselves. When was the last time they did ANYTHING with the sport other than put a car on the track? The haven't done a new commercial featuring Jimmie for a LONG time, and in their stores around here, you basically wouldn't even know they were in the sport. One of the three local stores has a banner of the car on the wall that is a good 10 years old and nothing else. The other two stores don't even have THAT. At least around here, the ONLY Lowes/Jimmie Johnson item you could EVER buy in the store, even back in the "Glory days" was a freakin' gift card with the car or the number on it. If you want to get return on a NASCAR investment, you have to do a hell of a lot more than stick a logo on the side of the car, especially in the current climate.
4) The whole thing probably IS my fault, because despite my love for the 48 team, I buy 99% of my stuff at Menards. In my opinion, Menards make Lowes and Home Depot look like rank amateurs.

I am in agreement and especially with the part about Nascar not losing anything technically. Saying Nascar didn't lose by Lowes leaving the 48 is like saying I didn't punch you my fist did. I respect that some folks see things differently and will leave it at that.

A few thoughts.
2. NASCAR doesnt have to spin anything. Lowes was in the sport for 18 years and they have decided to try different opportunity's. Sponsors come and go

2. NASCAR doesnt have to spin anything. Lowes was in the sport for 18 years and they have decided to try different opportunity's. Sponsors come and go

If there were other sponsors waiting in the wings to drop Lowes kind of dollars on a race team, I might be inclined to agree with you. But the fact is, they are NOT. That says as much about NASCAR as a whole as it does about any one car or team.

If there were other sponsors waiting in the wings to drop Lowes kind of dollars on a race team, I might be inclined to agree with you. But the fact is, they are NOT. That says as much about NASCAR as a whole as it does about any one car or team.

this is the kind of B.S. that gets deep around here. You have no facts.

New primary sponsor... How much u wanna bet it's more like 3 or 4? No way they find someone to sponsor every race.. that doesn't happen any more. He was one of (if not) the only car to have a full year sponsorship.
I am gonna guess one primary at their level was 30 million. Lessor teams are having a tough time getting 15 million total from half-dozen sponsors.

this is the kind of B.S. that gets deep around here. You have no facts.

OK then, where ARE these mythical sponsors? Who was the last company to step up and make that level of financial commitment to ANYTHING NASCAR related? If the accepted dollar amounts are accurate at all, NASCAR couldn't even that much money to sponsor the WHOLE SERIES!

You dont know who or what is waiting in the wings. NASCAR still attracts Millions every weekend to watch and has much to offer potential sponsors. I guess when Winston pulled out it was over then also. smdh

OK then, where ARE these mythical sponsors? Who was the last company to step up and make that level of financial commitment to ANYTHING NASCAR related? If the accepted dollar amounts are accurate at all, NASCAR couldn't even that much money to sponsor the WHOLE SERIES!

you can shout your fool head off, you don't have any facts about Johnson and sponsors for next year

I didn't say symbolic but symbiotic and a symbiotic relationship just means a mutually beneficial relationship for all parties or a relationship where all parties need each other.

Lowe's didn't need NASCAR and the company has been purging money as of late and cut the cord.

It happens all the time.

lol

You dont know who or what is waiting in the wings. NASCAR still attracts Millions every weekend to watch and has much to offer potential sponsors. I guess when Winston pulled out it was over then also. smdh

It wasn't over when Winston got run off, but honestly, it's been mostly downhill since then. On their VERY best day, Nextel/Sprint didn't do 10% for NASCAR of what Winston did. Also, I never said that there weren't sponsors willing to invest in NASCAR and their teams. They're just not interested in making 20-30 million dollar commitments.

It wasn't over when Winston got run off, but honestly, it's been mostly downhill since then. On their VERY best day, Nextel/Sprint didn't do 10% for NASCAR of what Winston did. Also, I never said that there weren't sponsors willing to invest in NASCAR and their teams. They're just not interested in making 20-30 million dollar commitments.

oh gees more made up numbers..getting deep around here

I dont know how much they are willing to invest, you dont either.

You see it every week.

It takes a commitment to put a sponsor on the car every week. A one off or two race primary sponsor is huge, it makes a difference. You see it with RPM, FRM, hell you see that entry list(s) every week with sponsors committing to place their ads on the respected teams car(s).

you can shout your fool head off, you don't have any facts about Johnson and sponsors for next year

No, I don't have FACTS, but I think it's fantasy land to think that any one or even two sponsors is going to step up and cover all 38 weekends for the 48 next year, and even if they DID, it would likely be for far less than what Lowes was paying. HMS couldn't find only one or two sponsors even for Gordon OR Earnhardt, and they were ALWAYS more marketable than Johnson has been.

Questions and more questions.

Does anyone think the 48 car will not have sponsors next year? No

Is it reasonable to think that the 48 team will receive less sponsorship dollars in 2019 versus 2018? Based on what has been taking place in Nascar lately the answer is yes

Will Rick Hendrick have to self sponsor the 48 car as he has with some of his other cars? Who knows?

Is Lowes leaving the death knell for Nascar or HMS? Of course not!

Is it in anyway good or inconsequential to have a company like Lowes to walk away from Nascar? Of course not!

Back
Top Bottom