Lowe's will not sponsor Johnson in 2019

And that’s a Point I don’t understand, that you’re getting beat up on. Where are all these sponsors at that are going to be paying what Lowe’s paid? Sure I don’t know what they paid, I have no inside info. But I do know every week I turned on the tv to watch a race and Lowe’s was on that car every race. Can Hendrick attract a full season sponsor to do what Lowe’s did? I don’t know. And I think if anyone claims to...well that’s BS in my book, sorry. I don’t think it’s outrageous to say there are a lot of unanswered questions right now.
Hendrick has full sponsorship for his other three teams, so what is your point? It isn't the right kind?, it isn't enough to suit you? The car won't look right?

is lowes the last sponsor any team has that is the primary all year? this does suck, I too wish they stayed with JJ till the end. home depot left years ago. This is probably going to mean a huge pay cut for jimmie, I was thinking how much SHR must be liking it that harv is winning so early in the season. this allows them to resign sponsors for next season early. Most teams are already trying to get next years sponsors signed and winning races this soon in the season has to really help.

And that’s a Point I don’t understand, that you’re getting beat up on. Where are all these sponsors at that are going to be paying what Lowe’s paid? Sure I don’t know what they paid, I have no inside info. But I do know every week I turned on the tv to watch a race and Lowe’s was on that car every race. Can Hendrick attract a full season sponsor to do what Lowe’s did? I don’t know. And I think if anyone claims to...well that’s BS in my book, sorry. I don’t think it’s outrageous to say there are a lot of unanswered questions right now.
As in every other facet of life, operating a business has its ups and downs. Hendrick Motorsports is losing a long-standing partner and a major contributor to its revenue stream.

Whether or not they replace the contribution with one sponsor or several makes no difference on the books. The object of the exercise is to replace it. Mr. H has several employees who work exclusively in that area. Time for them to earn their pay.

As in every other facet of life, operating a business has its ups and downs. Hendrick Motorsports is losing a long-standing partner and a major contributor to its revenue stream.

Whether or not they replace the contribution with one sponsor or several makes no difference on the books. The object of the exercise is to replace it. Mr. H has several employees who work exclusively in that area. Time for them to earn their pay.

oh heck no, he will be selling his over 140 some odd auto dealerships, laying off the over 10,000 people, and the auctions will be filled with distress rate Penske trucks. :rolleyes: The yacht will have to go also.

oh heck no, he will be selling his over 140 some odd auto dealerships, laying off the over 10,000 people, and the auctions will be filled with distress rate Penske trucks. :rolleyes: The yacht will have to go also.
There’s an HMS Yacht?? Ha ha perfect to wine and dine prospective sponsors! ;)

is lowes the last sponsor any team has that is the primary all year? this does suck, I too wish they stayed with JJ till the end. home depot left years ago. This is probably going to mean a huge pay cut for jimmie, I was thinking how much SHR must be liking it that harv is winning so early in the season. this allows them to resign sponsors for next season early. Most teams are already trying to get next years sponsors signed and winning races this soon in the season has to really help.
I think Fed Ex with Denny is last man standing?

Hendrick has full sponsorship for his other three teams, so what is your point? It isn't the right kind?, it isn't enough to suit you? The car won't look right?
Well the three teams have sponsorship which you’re right on. my initial point wasn’t about the three other HMS Teams, it was about the 48 and what’s next. I don’t care who sponsors the car or what it looks like or how many sponsors it takes to get it fully funded. I am saying to go from one full time sponsor to finding one or many that will replace might be a quite an undertaking.

Well the three teams have sponsorship which you’re right on. my initial point wasn’t about the three other HMS Teams, it was about the 48 and what’s next. I don’t care who sponsors the car or what it looks like or how many sponsors it takes to get it fully funded. I am saying to go from one full time sponsor to finding one or many that will replace might be a quite an undertaking.
you really think so? smh

I know Hendrick has occasionally self sponsored before but with a good deal of time, JJ's personality and great record plus HMS seemingly good at getting sponsors unless your name is Kasey Kahne I think the 48 will be fine.

I know Hendrick has occasionally self sponsored before but with a good deal of time, JJ's personality and great record plus HMS seemingly good at getting sponsors unless your name is Kasey Kahne I think the 48 will be fine.
no pay cuts for Jimmy and Chad?

Yes I agree, time for HMS to find new sponsors for the 48. They’ll get it done.

Well why do you think it will be a lay up? And for the record I don’t think the car will be unsponsored, it’s Jimmie Johnson for pete’s sake.

Common sense strikes again as it goes without saying that signing up one sponsor is easier work than trying to nail down various sponsors for various races. The process is the same whether you are trying to land one big fish or a bunch of little ones.

Common sense strikes again as it goes without saying that signing up one sponsor is easier work than trying to nail down various sponsors for various races. The process is the same whether you are trying to land one big fish or a bunch of little ones.
That was my thought process too but apparently I’m wrong. I love Mr Dive’s post above, HMS has people that do this for a living, time to go to work. A simple way to think of it really. For me personally, I would hope to get one sponsor as good as Lowe’s for the full schedule. If you have to piece it together so be it, if at the end it all pays the same. I hope no one SMH at that.

Well why do you think it will be a lay up? And for the record I don’t think the car will be unsponsored, it’s Jimmie Johnson for pete’s sake.
you said quite an undertaking. He just signed this year a rookie with full sponsorship, another with full sponsorship that is unproven, and got Kahne another team, paid his salary for the year, and got Kahne some partial sponsorship to go with it.

you said quite an undertaking. He just signed this year a rookie with full sponsorship, another with full sponsorship that is unproven, and got Kahne another team, paid his salary for the year, and got Kahne some partial sponsorship to go with it.
So because of these signings you have utmost confidence then that smooth sailing for the 48 in their sponsorship conquest?

We've already dealt with this as you think that if a company takes in less money salaries remain the same and that is OK by me.
If you knew that Johnson was already under contract and Chad signed one this year it might be different instead of B.S.

That was my thought process too but apparently I’m wrong. I love Mr Dive’s post above, HMS has people that do this for a living, time to go to work. A simple way to think of it really. For me personally, I would hope to get one sponsor as good as Lowe’s for the full schedule. If you have to piece it together so be it, if at the end it all pays the same. I hope no one SMH at that.

It would be really good if they could come up with 2 main sponsors and maybe just a couple of fill ins for other races. Obviously not a great situation to have to go through but it will work out.

We've already dealt with this as you think that if a company takes in less money salaries remain the same and that is OK by me.
We don’t know whether or not HMS will be bringing in less money in 2019.

The fact of the matter is that “we” don’t deal with this at all. Once again, as you did in your former life here, you’re forecasting. Think back to the Gene Haas 4 car prognostication.

hide and watch.
Well I don’t know about hiding but I’ll watch and learn so to speak. Like I posted a bit earlier hell no I don’t think the 48 will go unsponsored and the sky isn’t falling for the team. But IMO today’s news isn’t great for them, however I’ll bet on JJ and Rick finding a sponsor(s) 100 times out of 100.

Pay attention

BROOKLYN, Mich. — Hendrick Motorsports announced a three-year contract extension for seven-time Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson on Friday, keeping him with the No. 48 Chevrolet team through 2020.
The organization also announced an extension with primary sponsor Lowe’s, which will continue its longtime backing of the team through 2018.

We don’t know whether or not HMS will be bringing in less money in 2019.

The fact of the matter is that “we” don’t deal with this at all. Once again, as you did in your former life here, you’re forecasting. Think back to the Gene Haas 4 car prognostication.

I am going to leave the Gene Haas stuff to you as IDK what you are talking about. As far as HMS goes they may be able to get more sponsorship dollars for the 48 team next year but based on everything that has happened and taking place it doesn't seem likely. I am good with whatever you believe.

This thread is a dumpster fire... sorta like the return of great dane documentaries complete with Smell-O-Vision, LOL. The departure of any sponsor is bad news, and particularly so for Lowe's because of their 38-race history with the iconic 7-time champion. I don't see any posts here that deny that is bad news for the industry of Nascar racing.

Some see today's announcement as evidence the sky is falling, putting "blood in the water" and speculating JJ and Chad might exit the sport rather than race on for chump change. Seriously, do you realize Jimmie just recently signed his 3-year deal... at the same time Lowe's signed for 1 year? Surely Jimmie and Rick knew Lowe's was leaving, or likely to leave, at the time that deal was signed. Why would Jimmie sign that unless he was comfortable with the figures? Answer: he wouldn't.

To me, Lowe's exiting from Hendrick is less worrisome than when Target left Ganassi. Target was the anchor to the entire Ganassi organization, both Nascar and IndyCar. Ganassi was (and is) a race team, period. Hendrick has so many other profitable assets in the portfolio to weather any storm. I was seriously worried about Ganassi, but he roped in new sponsors, re-signed Larson for major bucks, and all seems A-OK.

I'm disappointed and sad that Lowe's is leaving, but not shocked. How could anyone be surprised? When Home Depot left Gibbs, logic says the strategic value to Lowe's of a presence in Nascar would be reduced. And Lowe's poor financial performance has been discussed here extensively. Add to that the 1-year contract extension when JJ was signing for 3 years... There is no more room to be shocked by the announcement, IMO. If you think Lowe's gave HMS a surprise ambush this week, I think you are naive. HMS knew the lay of the land last summer, IMO.

Remember when I said Jimmie is going to retire after this year? Yeah I still stand by that.

Remember when I said Jimmie is going to retire after this year? Yeah I still stand by that.
Personally no but congrats on that.

giphy.gif

The problem is that instead of going to one place for all that 48 money, now they will have to find 2-5 MORE companies to pony up cash, on top of the 15 or so they already have on the hook and are still short. ( There are still open slots for 2019 on the other three cars). All the while, a dozen other teams are out chasing the same people. It doesn't seem like a terribly sustainable business model to me. No, the loss of Lowe by itself is not the end of the world, but it IS a cold reminder that these big companies no longer see the value of sponsoring a whole car for the whole season. IF they sponsor it at all. That sends a message to all of those other companies too. If you have 36-40 cars, and every one of those cars needs to pull in 3-5 primary and God knows how many associate sponsors to run the season, the pool of potential candidates starts to run thin pretty quickly. I don't see that model being able to go on indefinitely, especially in a era of drastically lower attendance and sinking TV ratings. SOMETHING has to change. I know it doesn't fit the narrative of some here, but I DO know a little about how this game is played. My uncle just retired after a 40+ year career in marketing/advertising, the last 25 as the advertising head of a company that was a primary sponsor in the Busch Series, an associate sponsor in Cup, and has been a race sponsor too. We've had numerous discussions over the years about how all of this plays out.

From what I understand they had sponsorship offers for the races that he would self sponsor, but he refused to undersell the sponsorship in most of those cases.

Good post and it is full of common sense but an increasing problem is that common sense isn't that common. I think this is a difficult time for Nascar as it is nowhere near what it was and still isn't close to what it will become so in a way they are kind of treading water to see what is next. It isn't a situation I would like to be in but I believe Nascar will muddle through it.

Nascar reminds me of a new mine find. Shares are sold and resold and the price climbs high and higher. Then reality sets in and shares are sold at reduced prices until the market stabilizes and the shares reflect true value.
Nascar is in the process of downsizing and coming to reality and that includes Sponsorship dollars reflecting true value for investment.
At some point people like Allen K will be able to try forming a new team.

What we DON'T know about Lowes leaving would fill volumes. In reality, we're all just assuming things. It could be
that HMS has known about this for a long time and has prepared for it. I truly believe that HMS will continue racing.

I also don't believe that NASCAR will dry up and blow away tomorrow or even next year. Yes, it may get smaller,
but that happens in business and in life. When the income shrinks, so does your style of living.

I'm just going to sit back, sip my adult beverages and continue to watch. I'm sure not going to worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom