Montoya out of EGR in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Larson vs Dillon rivalry gets its start in 2014.
Gonna be a good rookie of the year fight.

andy......tried ta tell ya this before. ha! dillon/larson....in 14.

big segment in tv coverage--2014......rookie battle.

ought ta be good.

Too soon IMO. I don't see what the big rush is. 21 and racing stock cars for not even two full years. If Scott really is the buyer of Phoenix Racing I hope he puts Larson in there for at least a few races so he's not a complete deer in the headlights next February.

At least we'll have a ROTY battle worth a damn for once.

I doubt they had much choice when any other driver jumping in the 42 wouldn't get more than a 1 year contract.

I love this kid. I think of any of the super young drivers, he is the most level-headed.. enough to handle the pressure. We will see. I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm definitely a fan though.

Too soon IMO. I don't see what the big rush is. 21 and racing stock cars for not even two full years. If Scott really is the buyer of Phoenix Racing I hope he puts Larson in there for at least a few races so he's not a complete deer in the headlights next February.

At least we'll have a ROTY battle worth a damn for once.

larson has been most "chilled out" mature young driver ta come along in a long time. no big ups/downs.
he's tha same guy pre-race interview...as post-race interview. amazin self control....in-car too.
future cup champ...

still think kez/penske got dev deal goin w/ somebody (scott ?) on 51 buy out.??? dinger 2014

Let´s be real. The only reason Chip Ganassi and Felix Sabates did not keep Montoya was simple: EGR tried to low ball Montoya into accepting less money than he was willing to accept. If you compare Montoya´s performance with the top 10 drivers and 10-20 drivers in the standing you will see that Montoya made more money than most top 20 drivers; year after year. This year Montoya has made (3.429,000 dollars) almost the same amount of money than Biffle (3,522,000 dollars) who sits 9th in the standing, in the chase, and with one win. His fellow team member McMurray has made (3,375,000 dollars). Clint Boyer who sits at number 2 in the standings has made (3,898,000 dollars) with no wins. Montoya is a proud Colombian who does not back up when pushed against the wall and is to proud of his driving experience and skills to be muscled out of money knowing the reality of the cars he has driven for the last 7 years. There is no way these EGR cars can top the Hendricks or the Toyotas considering they go without any mistakes. Once in while someone gets lucky and puncture thru to win. The improvements on Montoya´s car this year comes from the Gen6 car which has goten closer to a real race car than before and Montoya sure is finally contending with the best managed teams in Nascar.

I think those numbers are winnings, which each driver gets a percentage of. Do you know Juans actual salary paid by Target and Gnassi?

I think it came down to sponsorship. McMurray probably had a stronger commitment from his sponsors than Juan did, but I don't know for sure. Has Target been announced as Larsons sponsor yet? If they do sponsor Larson, they are probably behind the switch and only offered Juan a 1 year deal to hold the spot until 2015. Juan bolted, Larson moved up.

As car and business owners, I dont blame them since Larson is getting paid less than what Montoya thinks he is worth. Both Montoya and EGR will come out winners.

I doubt this because Montoya isn't going to get more money somewhere else.

Montoya´s contract with EGR was arranged long ago and things are different for both Montoya and EGR since then. EGR got better motors and a Gen6 together the same year. Montoya has handled himself fairly good driving the Hendricks Motors and the Gen6 car. There was no way Montoya was going to accept a less than an improved contract than the one he had to begin with. There was no way Montoya would accept less than he had considering he is a damn good driver as he has proven it again lately. Montoya will have a deal that matches his Nascar´s track record and not just from 2009 when he made the chase. Let´s see what he brings up this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway; he might redeem himself and go happily ever after. The man is 37 and has been and driven in much faster cars and racetracks than the whole Nascar drivers combined. Montoya is not going to take junk for his driving unless he wants to do it for fun which apparently was not happening at EGR.

Let´s be real. The only reason Chip Ganassi and Felix Sabates did not keep Montoya was simple: EGR tried to low ball Montoya into accepting less money than he was willing to accept. If you compare Montoya´s performance with the top 10 drivers and 10-20 drivers in the standing you will see that Montoya made more money than most top 20 drivers; year after year. This year Montoya has made (3.429,000 dollars) almost the same amount of money than Biffle (3,522,000 dollars) who sits 9th in the standing, in the chase, and with one win. His fellow team member McMurray has made (3,375,000 dollars). Clint Boyer who sits at number 2 in the standings has made (3,898,000 dollars) with no wins. Montoya is a proud Colombian who does not back up when pushed against the wall and is to proud of his driving experience and skills to be muscled out of money knowing the reality of the cars he has driven for the last 7 years. There is no way these EGR cars can top the Hendricks or the Toyotas considering they go without any mistakes. Once in while someone gets lucky and puncture thru to win. The improvements on Montoya´s car this year comes from the Gen6 car which has goten closer to a real race car than before and Montoya sure is finally contending with the best managed teams in Nascar.

Welcome to the forum Cochole , that's a great observation . With those figures in mind , is there any chance at all that another team (especially a small one) could or would hire him?

As car and business owners, I dont blame them since Larson is getting paid less than what Montoya thinks he is worth. Both Montoya and EGR will come out winners.

Montoya has different scenarios in Nascar based on what he wants to do: driving fast competitive cars for top five positions since he has already proven that he is better than half of the field. He has proven that he is definitely among the top 20 drivers in the Sprint Cup; undisputable for the last 6 years. And this year he had as good finishes as the top 15 drivers. 1) Montoya wants a top team with a fast car, and he already said that he would like to drive for Hendricks if he had his choice. It is hard to grasp this idea of his and he gave specifics about it. He made the comment last week that if he had his wish he would drive Jeff Gordon´s 24. I kind of found Montoya´s comment kind of bizzard and I said to myself: "that is Juan Pablo Montoya been Juan Pablo Montoya" and he does not give a crap of whatever people think about it; even Jeff Gordon´s fans. 2) Montoya already said that he was given no choice but to exercise his free agency option and he knew it when his option went by earlier in the year with silence. Montoya also said, that he would drive for a team with fast cars even for less money than he had asked from EGR. For a human being who has lived in the fast lane all of his life, it is about pride and honor. Montoya wants to drive a car that can go fast enough to be in the top 1 to 7 consistently. He has been contesting for the top spot all his life and he knows by now that you need a fast car to win in Nascar and not just skills which he has. 3) He can go to a small team charge less and even invest in it. Juan Pablo has done pretty good all of his life and he already said he wanted to be part owner of a racing team. It is not just about "Dinero" at this stage of the game since he was let go but we can be certain that if this old gladiator still has a beating heart for racing you can be sure that he is not going to roll over and die.

Last edited by a moderator:
Montoya has different scenarios in Nascar based on what he wants to do: driving fast competitive cars for top five positions since he has already proven that he is better than half of the field. He has proven that he is definitely among the top 20 drivers in the Sprint Cup; undisputable for the last 6 years. And this year he had as good finishes as the top 15 drivers. 1) Montoya wants a top team with a fast car, and he already said that he would like to drive for Hendricks if he had his choice. It is hard to grasp this idea of his and he gave specifics about it. He made the comment last week that if he had his wish he would drive Jeff Gordon´s 24. I kind of found Montoya´s comment kind of bizzard and I said to myself: "that is Juan Pablo Montoya been Juan Pablo Montoya" and he does not give a crap of whatever people think about it; even Jeff Gordon´s fans. 2) Montoya already said that he was given no choice but to exercise his free agency option and he knew it when his option went by earlier in the year with silence. Montoya also said, that he would drive for a team with fast cars even for less money than he had asked from EGR. For a human being who has lived in the fast lane all of his life, it is about pride and honor. Montoya wants to drive a car that can go fast enough to be in the top 1 to 7 consistently. He has been contesting for the top spot all his life and he knows by now that you need a fast car to win in Nascar and not just skills which he has. 3) He can go to a small team charge less and even invest in it. Juan Pablo has done pretty good all of his life and he already said he wanted to be part owner of a racing team. It is not just about "Dinero" at this stage of the game since he was let go but we can be certain that if this old gladiator still has a beating heart for racing you can be sure that he is not going to roll over and die.

Welcome to the forums Juan I mean Cochole Maldonado...

Jeff Gordon started racing in the Busch series in 1990 at age 19. 2 years later he was debuting in Cup at 21. He too had limited experience as a stock car driver. I love how people assume the kid is too young or doesnt have enough time in the seat. He has more time behind those wheels than any of us. He has talent. Nobody disagrees with that, right? So what is the problem?

what driver doesn't want the best of everything? only a select few get it, so I guess he hasn't impress the right people.

what driver doesn't want the best of everything? only a select few get it, so I guess he hasn't impress the right people.

I agree with you 100 %. Anyways, I do believe that EGR let Montoya go because it was a business decision related to the amount of money they were willing to offer to Montoya. On the other hand, Montoya did not agree because he was not willing to drive at EGR for the amount they were willing to pay for him to stay. He was not let go because he is a bad driver since he has proven that he can drive. It was about all about "Dinero". I doubt that Kyle will get pay as much as Montoya was asking at least not in the early years. As a free agent, Montoya can test the waters or just go on with his life and retire. It does hurt when someone show you the door and I am pretty sure his heart is still in Nascar so he will know what to do with offer or not.

I agree with you 100 %. Anyways, I do believe that EGR let Montoya go because it was a business decision related to the amount of money they were willing to offer to Montoya. On the other hand, Montoya did not agree because he was not willing to drive at EGR for the amount they were willing to pay for him to stay. He was not let go because he is a bad driver since he has proven that he can drive. It was about all about "Dinero". I doubt that Kyle will get pay as much as Montoya was asking at least not in the early years. As a free agent, Montoya can test the waters or just go on with his life and retire. It does hurt when someone show you the door and I am pretty sure his heart is still in Nascar so he will know what to do with offer or not.

Do you think that there was ever any expectation that Juan would attract some sponsorship because of his heritage ?

I'm a big Juan fan and yes he can drive but rarely do drivers with his resume get a better second opportunity. There is no better Nascar ride available at the moment. The 78 is a special case, but they could be severing their ties with RCR. The 51 is now a new team. If Juan is able to stay in Nascar, he better be willing to take a pay cut. I'm not sure he's going to but just saying he's proven to be top 20 driver means very little at this stage of his career.

78 is his best option IMO.......that doesn't mean he's in the running tho

78 is his best option IMO.......that doesn't mean he's in the running tho

Like I said earlier, if I was 78 camp and my choices are Newman or Montoya, I would let them settle it in these last 12 races lol. I don't think Newman would do that much better if at all then Montoya.. He has fallen off.

Like I said earlier, if I was 78 camp and my choices are Newman or Montoya, I would let them settle it in these last 12 races lol. I don't think Newman would do that much better if at all then Montoya.. He has fallen off.

Just an old age pensioner opinion , but both Montoya and Newman have the proven ability to put the 78 car in the chase next year . Something that cannot be said for Dillon , Stenhouse or Larson.

By my count he has only finished better than 20th twice with one of them being a 17th place...I would say it is disputable that he's a top 20 driver at this point. I just don't feel that the stock cars suit his style/talents.

What I am surprised about is that he doesn't seem to have much if any foreign sponsorship. Wasn't he supposed to be the guy that would open up new markets for NASCAR and bring a new audience in?

Jeff Gordon started racing in the Busch series in 1990 at age 19. 2 years later he was debuting in Cup at 21. He too had limited experience as a stock car driver. I love how people assume the kid is too young or doesnt have enough time in the seat. He has more time behind those wheels than any of us. He has talent. Nobody disagrees with that, right? So what is the problem?
Gordon is the exception, certainly not the rule. Kyle obviously has talent. And if anyone does have the mental capacity and fortitude to pull this off I think it would be him. But, unless Target really wanted no part of JPM anymore, I think you have to do more to protect one of the greatest prospects NASCAR has seen in a long time.

Just an old age pensioner opinion , but both Montoya and Newman have the proven ability to put the 78 car in the chase next year . Something that cannot be said for Dillon , Stenhouse or Larson.

Maybe so but the three drivers you named are getting their first shot. Montoya and Newman have already had their shot. Eventually it's out with old and in with the new.

Gordon is the exception, certainly not the rule. Kyle obviously has talent. And if anyone does have the mental capacity and fortitude to pull this off I think it would be him. But, unless Target really wanted no part of JPM anymore, I think you have to do more to protect one of the greatest prospects NASCAR has seen in a long time.

Protect him fom what? An opportunity to drive for a legit team? If he has the talent it will show. Should he be expected to win the championship? No, but a win isnt beyond the realm of possibility. I just dont see this rule you speak of. If we believed in the rule then Jackie Robinson would have never had a chance.

By my count he has only finished better than 20th twice with one of them being a 17th place...I would say it is disputable that he's a top 20 driver at this point. I just don't feel that the stock cars suit his style/talents.

His Cup career average race finish is 19.9.

Do you think that there was ever any expectation that Juan would attract some sponsorship because of his heritage ?
I have thought a lot about the brand JPMontoya in the Hispanic market. I do believe that there has been wasted opportunities and time to market Juan Pablo Montoya more. In my opinion that is not just Juan Pablo´s job; in some ways it is. I do think there has been a lot of potential never realized. For one thing, beside the Target Dog with his picture, I havent seen much of Montoya´s big sponsors Target-EGR advertising nor a root marketing strategy to have Montoya in the Hispanic market. Montoya is an icon but I have seen more marketing of him to the general nascar population. He is definitely one of the most known hispanic figure in the deep south, the eastern mountains along the Atlantic seaboard, the northeast, midwest, the dessert and all the other places where Nascar reigns. I think that Nascar could have done a much better job of reaching out to hispanics not only through Juan Pablo Montoya but also to Almirola. I believe Juan Pablo receives some support from his wife and has a very well run foundation in Colombia which I admire them for it. To resume, Juan Pablo Montoya is and has been a gold mine nobody has really cared to tap because he has been so good as a driver that they, they includes Target, Energizer, Goodyear, Tums, AXE, all of them together has done nothing but put patches on his racing suits and cars. The Hispanic population is makes up almost a third of the US population and a lot of children, including my grandchild, who on his own and through the movies now has a "Cars" 95 car bed. There is plenty of Hispanics, as we all know, in the rural areas of the country and also go to school with the typical Nascar base. I would love to work for Montoya promoting him and bringing sponsors but it does take more than patches to do it. There is still plenty of upside to Montoya´s marketability but so far it has been.

What I am surprised about is that he doesn't seem to have much if any foreign sponsorship. Wasn't he supposed to be the guy that would open up new markets for NASCAR and bring a new audience in?

On the second part, I do agree with you that in order to penetrate and expand to new markets like first and second generations Hispanic Americans you have to do more than just patches in cars and racing suits. I can tell you who did a great job with him on his first year in Nascar "The 42 Dodge HAVOLINE". May be Juan Pablo can give them a call so we can buy their lubricants we do own cars and we do shop.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am happy to announce you that at the of the season Montoya would have climbed to the top 12 in the standings; outside chase scoring, I do believe he is among the best 20 drivers and maybe in the top 15 drivers in Nascar Sprint Cup. We´ll see what happened before the chase starts and when the season ends where Montoya ends up.

Which would put him in the top 20 by the skin of his teeth. I can name at least 20 other drivers I'd put in my Cup car over JPM, but that's just me. I hope he lands on his feet, I won't be surprised if he leaves NASCAR though.

Which would put him in the top 20 by the skin of his teeth. I can name at least 20 other drivers I'd put in my Cup car over JPM, but that's just me. I hope he lands on his feet, I won't be surprised if he leaves NASCAR though.
20 that aren't under contract? Let's see that list.

20 that aren't under contract? Let's see that list.

Lol, of course not. He's undoubtabley one of the best available drivers. I'm just contesting the statement that he is an "indisputable" top 20 driver. I believe it's very disputable at this point. Furthermore maybe he wouldn't be available if it was so clear that he's a top 20 guy. If the average finish is 19.9 that's a very middling driver to me. To include him in the same breath as the top 15 drivers is quite a stretch considering he's only finished in the top 15 once.

Even if he is a top 20 driver, he drives for an organization that shouldn't just accept that and is apparently done accepting that.. As much as I defend Juan, settling for top 20 from both your drivers let alone one is not a good message to send if you want more then that.

I would rather have Larson or Newman than Montoya.
McMurray has accomplished more with the same team.
Newman usually is good for a win a year, aside for an occasional Road Course it doesn't happen with Juan.

Better to get Larson in a cup car while he can. If another offer was made the EGR contract would probably not hold up, it didnt stop Fords attempt to keep Kahne.

I have thought a lot about the brand JPMontoya in the Hispanic market. I do believe that there has been wasted opportunities and time to market Juan Pablo Montoya more. In my opinion that is not just Juan Pablo´s job; in some ways it is. I do think there has been a lot of potential never realized. For one thing, beside the Target Dog with his picture, I havent seen much of Montoya´s big sponsors Target-EGR advertising nor a root marketing strategy to have Montoya in the Hispanic market. Montoya is an icon but I have seen more marketing of him to the general nascar population. He is definitely one of the most known hispanic figure in the deep south, the eastern mountains along the Atlantic seaboard, the northeast, midwest, the dessert and all the other places where Nascar reigns. I think that Nascar could have done a much better job of reaching out to hispanics not only through Juan Pablo Montoya but also to Almirola. I believe Juan Pablo receives some support from his wife and has a very well run foundation in Colombia which I admire them for it. To resume, Juan Pablo Montoya is and has been a gold mine nobody has really cared to tap because he has been so good as a driver that they, they includes Target, Energizer, Goodyear, Tums, AXE, all of them together has done nothing but put patches on his racing suits and cars. The Hispanic population is makes up almost a third of the US population and a lot of children, including my grandchild, who on his own and through the movies now has a "Cars" 95 car bed. There is plenty of Hispanics, as we all know, in the rural areas of the country and also go to school with the typical Nascar base. I would love to work for Montoya promoting him and bringing sponsors but it does take more than patches to do it. There is still plenty of upside to Montoya´s marketability but so far it has been.
Are racing to win or to make someone more than they are because of who/what the are? he is not a nascar driver. go back to what he does best, open wheel

at his age.....career stats....his hispanic heritage may be tha biggest magnet in his resume ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom