Montoya out of EGR in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Juan, but it isn't a personality contest. He didn't perform, so he is out. We will probably be talking about Jamie Mac being out next year, if he doesn't start doing better. Hope so, if you are going to be a wheel holder, you better get into the chase with it...lots.

Bingo...qft

Ganassi says the plan is to run Larson in both Cup and Nationwide next year.

Edit: He also said he wants Kyle to run for the NNS championship.

I missed the news conference...So if he's going to run for the NNS title he's going to have him run full time double duty??? Did he say who he'll run Nationwide with next year? Safe to assume it will be with Turner again?

I missed the news conference...So if he's going to run for the NNS title he's going to have him run full time double duty??? Did he say who he'll run Nationwide with next year? Safe to assume it will be with Turner again?
Basically. He said there might be a race or two he'll absolutely have to miss, but the plan is to run more than just the companion events. He mentioned Turner as well.

Basically. He said there might be a race or two he'll absolutely have to miss, but the plan is to run more than just the companion events. He mentioned Turner as well.

That sounds like crazy talk to me. He definitely should not be missing practice time to go and points race in Nationwide. I get that Chip wants him to get all the seat time possible, but you're not running for the championship if you're going to miss some races. He should run all the companion races and that's it IMO. Focusing on the Cup car will be paramount to his success.

I listened to that press conference but I must have missed him saying that he's going to have Kyle running for the NNS title. That seems extremely odd to me but what the heck do I know?

Basically, Chip Ganassi said that it was a team decision based on the MARKETING UPSIDE from the young prospect on board and who he got impressed by seeing him race in the lead pack in about the 12 position and then finishing in the Top 5 in the Nationwide series. I would not argue about the potential of the 21 year old crowd for any business. The decision had the backing of Target, he said. He says Juan Pablo Montoya and him are very good friends so he is not going to yank him up from the 42 in the last 10 races. Well not now since Montoya has been a pretty good jockey for his pony lately. To resume, it was a business decision based on marketing money and the appeal of a 21 year old prospect. It is Chip´s decision and it is his money. As a result of his decision, he thinks he will make more money in the next 5 years. This was a no brainer for EGR; more money from target and less money for the driver. Mucho DINERO Mucho Dolares

This is the story that will take place in the next 12 races. This afternoon in Atlanta, Montoya had the 3rd fastest speed in Practice 1. This is not knew since MONTOYA races well at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The irony of Montoya driving the 42 for EGR after been dumped by them, could actually be the best racing they ever had. The EGR cars are as fast as they ever been. There will be MUCHO DINERO and MUCHOS DOLARES starting this weekend for JUAN PABLO MONTOYA, EGR, and TARGET.

Last edited by a moderator:
Montoya had the 3rd fastest speed in Practice 1 at the Atlanta Motor Speedway just as the press conference on Kyle Larson and Chip Ganassi was taking place.

I listened to that press conference but I must have missed him saying that he's going to have Kyle running for the NNS title. That seems extremely odd to me but what the heck do I know?
I thought so too. That will be a loaded schedule. I hope they don't burn him out right away.

I found the transcript:

Q. Chip, will Kyle run the full Nationwide schedule next year or just companion races or go for the title?

CHIP GANASSI: Yeah, I mean, hopefully he’s running for a championship there next year, too. Is he going to run every race? That might be a stretch. The idea is to do that. The idea is to run as many as he can. If he misses one or two, he may have to. Not just companion races, no.
http://www.speedwaymedia.com/?p=67155

Don't you have to declare for one series for points? Chip must mean the owners title.
Derp. Good point. Maybe he'll run the NNS driver championship since he obviously has a much better shot at that. Owner championship for Cup. It doesn't seem like a whole lot of thought went into this, though.

If he's running full time in cup, then I think he has to declare for cup points no?

If he's running full time in cup, then I think he has to declare for cup points no?
No. They can run whatever they want. They can only collect points in the series they declare.

I still don't believe it will go down as described. I can't see how all of that weight can be placed on his shoulders.

I just haven't seen a driver do both and if he's missing nationwide races, he's not gonna win the drivers title unless he dominates. Which I doubt with Kyle, Brad, etc still likely racing in the series.

Omigod, I am glad wrecktoya is gone but this is an awful decison on Ganassi's part. Larson should stay one more year in NW, but even if he moves up to cup, he shouldn't run both Cup and NW. Prepare for Larson to be the next Logano. Sorry SB22 (he IS doing good this year, but it took 5 years).

chip's blowin smoke up tha media's arse ! ha! other teams too.

larson may run nns races.....but only fer seat/track time....day before cup race---same track.

nns owner like turner may provide ride.....thinkin a' owner's title ?
or ? ............target sponsorship ? .......when larson's in car

montoya in 78...frr next yr. 1 team.

he starts third can ya believe it? It would be something if he races as hard as he raced at Bristol last week.

I would like to see Montoya in a different car. He's obviously one the most talented drivers in NASCAR even without having the success he's had in F1 and Champ cars. There probably isn't a Cup driver out there that could have matched his F1 performance.

I can't believe there's people that think he should go to ARCA....

That was before declaring points for a given series. It actually meant something back then.
So it's at least logistically possible. Harvick used to do it all the time too, I think Edwards as well. I think that's way too much for a rookie though. Track time will mean more to him than to the veterans.

The 78 shuold sign Juan.
he starts third can ya believe it? It would be something if he races as hard as he raced at Bristol last week.

Hes fighting for a job and it doesn't hurt that Atl is one of his better tracks. ( two top 3 finishes)

I would like to see Montoya in a different car. He's obviously one the most talented drivers in NASCAR even without having the success he's had in F1 and Champ cars. There probably isn't a Cup driver out there that could have matched his F1 performance.

Sure where he finishes is better than where all ARCA drivers would finish in cup, but he wrecks about as much as the average ARCA driver, so I can see their point.

He isnt as good McMurray. Fast this weekend is a day late and a dollar short.

I understand the Atwood comparison. But Larson has a better resume prior to running Cup in my opinion.

He also doesn't have the pressure of driving for an Evernham or a Gibbs (owners used to routinely winning). If Larson runs around top 20 for EGR early on he will be ok. He is as also light years ahead of Patrick, if she is good enough to run around 30th, Larson should be able to run in the low 20s even in EGR cars.

It isnt all about the age Larson has performed well in different types of cars, and demonstrated more mastery than many that he is being compared to at the same stages, like Atwood or Logano.

may be auditionin fer 2014 ride ! ??

another reason he makes good fit at frr......rarely was at charlotte shop durin week. miami...travel..etc.
plane ride ta charlotte....or denver ??

may be auditionin fer 2014 ride ! ??

another reason he makes good fit at frr......rarely was at charlotte shop durin week. miami...travel..etc.
plane ride ta charlotte....or denver ??
That is what I think got his butt fired..he was never around the car, always hanging out in Miami or Columbia and not at the shop or track.

He isnt as good McMurray. Fast this weekend is a day late and a dollar short.

He's led more than twice as many laps and has 3 more top 5 finishes than McMurray this year.

amazing how much better Juan is doing this year when his job was on the line, and now is gone?

Juan has been fast all year. I expected him to steadily get better as he got use to the better equipment. I am thinking Chip got rid of the wrong driver. He should have kept Juan dumped McMurray. If Target really wanted Larson, then move Juan to the 1. Either way I think the 78 should go after Juan instead of Newman.

Juan has been fast all year. I expected him to steadily get better as he got use to the better equipment. I am thinking Chip got rid of the wrong driver. He should have kept Juan dumped McMurray. If Target really wanted Larson, then move Juan to the 1. Either way I think the 78 should go after Juan instead of Newman.

Agreed, I feel like Juan would do better in that type of team then Newman would. .

Agreed, I feel like Juan would do better in that type of team then Newman would. .

I am just laughing at those who are saying that Juan is only doing good now that he is looking for a job. He has been good all year with just some bad luck. Better than McMurray that is for sure.

I am just laughing at those who are saying that Juan is only doing good now that he is looking for a job. He has been good all year with just some bad luck. Better than McMurray that is for sure.

Dat Hendrick power helps no doubt..bad luck and that bonehead move at Pocono on lap one.. Juan been solid otherwise and he's running at his better tracks.. Maybe he has a little more motivation but it's not like he can't run good.

JPM has had some fine moments he just doesnt close the deal.
At Indy he ran great most of the race, and lost it at the end.
While McMurray succeeded. Had Montoya won at Indy we would have never heard the end of it. Sliced Breads Joeyathons couldnt match the amplification.

In Cup cars the expectations just havent been met. A change is long overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom