NASCAR announces 2019 MENCS rules

Can we be sure to include what package and engine are being used each week in the pre-race threads? Very important. I'm sure the TV networks will have to make a segment each week to let us know too. Air duct function will be gone over 342,873,659 times.

Make yourself a party of one.

There are many different types of fan, but to keep it simple you have

1. "Casuals" (Ian's vocabulary) who just want to see live action, maybe some human interest nonsense.
2. Committed long-term race fans who's interest vary from wanting to see live action, human interest, driver related details and support, etc...
3. Committed technical fans who not only want to see live action, but also details on WHAT is racing that week in hardware, gear, set ups, tires, rules package, etc.

NASCAR is trying to build up more interest to draw in new fans, while continuing to serve the interest of its remaining/current fans (without losing anymore of them).

They have at least those three groups to satisfy as they bring in new fans for those groups -- and each have multiple lines of attack to enhance the appeal of a NASCAR event/season to those groups.

I would be interested to see how the NASCAR planners have mapped this out for the next 10 years; or if they're just all hooked up to their Marketing and Social-media departments to guide rapid/knee-jerk changes.

The Post-BF era is now -- hard to tell if NASCAR leaders are looking to rebuild, renovate, or dress it up for the sale.

Go ahead, defenders, give it your best shot...

Going back to single-car qualifying would be the lone bright spot in all of this. I remember when Truck qualifying (Idk if it still is) was a game of chicken waiting to see who would go first because no one wanted to be towing everyone else without any help themselves. And single-car is my preferred method of NASCAR qualifying anyways, I've watched far less of it since they want to knockout.

Here's how it'll transpire - 40 cars sit on pit road until the last minute because nobody wants to be the lead and then we end up with a cluster at the end with guys getting pissed off and possibly even wrecking in this case. Then we get 30 mins of sour grapes interviews after. See ya Sunday folks! Riveting television.

We've seen this circus before.

Here's how it'll transpire - 40 cars sit on pit road until the last minute because nobody wants to be the lead and then we end up with a cluster at the end with guys getting pissed off and possibly even wrecking in this case. Then we get 30 mins of sour grapes interviews after. See ya Sunday folks! Riveting television.

We've seen this circus before.
I beg to differ.

"... See ya Thursday, folks!" Duels, don'tchahkno?

single-car is my preferred method of NASCAR qualifying anyways, I've watched far less of it since they want to knockout.
When they first announced the knockout qualifying method, I thought it sounded more exciting and something that I'd be interested in. Then, after getting to watch it time and time again, I realized that I was wrong. I'd much rather see NASCAR go back to single car qualifying. One car on the track against the clock. Throw in the pace setting ghost car while watching a decent run and I'm good. The games that get played under the current form don't entertain me in the least. I've gone from a consistent viewer of pole qualifying to a fan that doesn't care about it anymore.

When they first announced the knockout qualifying method, I thought it sounded more exciting and something that I'd be interested in. Then, after getting to watch it time and time again, I realized that I was wrong. I'd much rather see NASCAR go back to single car qualifying. One car on the track against the clock. Throw in the pace setting ghost car while watching a decent run and I'm good. The games that get played under the current form don't entertain me in the least. I've gone from a consistent viewer of pole qualifying to a fan that doesn't care about it anymore.

Agreed.

I would go further, in that THIS is why I do not care for most driver opinions. They rightfully care about their own advantage and opponents' disadvantages, not about the product on the track.

The drivers took a simple concept to give qualifying a more dynamic approach, and you ended up with dorky (unprofessional) looking games being played, then the childish grievance-phase interviews afterwards.

KISS: Tell the drivers what to do and when to do it for qualifying -- and just let them focus on monkey-skills.

Agreed.

I would go further, in that THIS is why I do not care for most driver opinions. They rightfully care about their own advantage and opponents' disadvantages, not about the product on the track.

The drivers took a simple concept to give qualifying a more dynamic approach, and you ended up with dorky (unprofessional) looking games being played, then the childish grievance-phase interviews afterwards.

KISS: Tell the drivers what to do and when to do it for qualifying -- and just let them focus on monkey-skills.

yep. I'm curious, there hasn't been anything said about what the procedure will be, but there have been changes made at the director of competition position and up top so who knows.

Either way, qualifying will be a complete joke with this package on 1.5s. Single car runs will literally be "StandOnIt" and see who's got the best aero.

Can raceday make up for it?

single car runs have always been that way on any track they don't turtle. This apparently will have a way for cars to draft faster. Doesn't sound to me that they will be single cars runs, unless they come up with a virtual ghost car.:D

single car runs have always been that way on any track they don't turtle. This apparently will have a way for cars to draft faster. Doesn't sound to me that they will be single cars runs, unless they come up with a virtual ghost car.:D

Huh? Are you referring to plate tracks?

Either way, qualifying will be a complete joke with this package on 1.5s. Single car runs will literally be "StandOnIt" and see who's got the best aero.

Can raceday make up for it?

Huh? Are you referring to plate tracks?

Nascar used to have single car runs on every track. The tweet by Gluck doesn't say what track or how many, but it isn't single car runs if you read it closely.

Your questions are shared by many because Cup cars will in theory be able to draft off each other and get a faster qual time this year.

Oh, wait; I just remembered I consider qualifying with this package to be a pointless exercise, regardless of how it's done. It's good for determining pit position, and that's the only effect on the race itself. Maybe we'll see some value to it when NASCAR trots out the new config at 'Dega.

Oh, wait; I just remembered I consider qualifying with this package to be a pointless exercise, regardless of how it's done. It's good for determining pit position, and that's the only effect on the race itself. Maybe we'll see some value to it when NASCAR trots out the new config at 'Dega.
I dunno. Suarez says track position is gonna be "massive." Qualifying may matter a lot.

Nascar used to have single car runs on every track. The tweet by Gluck doesn't say what track or how many, but it isn't single car runs if you read it closely.

Your questions are shared by many because Cup cars will in theory be able to draft off each other and get a faster qual time this year.

Yes, it used to all be single car runs on every track. I think everyone here knows that, and some want that back.

There's no question, of course they'd be able to draft off each other for faster Qual time if there's group qualifying, whether it's Daytona or Fontana.

If they choose group or single car for 1.5 mile track qualifying, these will be the most draft dependent cup cars we have ever seen on that track type. Single car high downforce wide open runs at slower speeds are boring from a fan pov imo and an insult to driver talent at the same time. They might as well go group qualifying since they're obviously attempting to set things up for maximum entertainment value of having cars around cars. Double the entertainment qualifying and race.

I still can't even believe they're making these changes after the quality of racing last year. Mind blowing to me.

I'm exactly the opposite on that one. I was initially VERY skeptical about knockout qualifying, but I ended up liking it a LOT.

I still can't even believe they're making these changes after the quality of racing last year. Mind blowing to me.

Yes, but many of also thought the racing last year mostly stunk like last week's garbage, so there is that.....

Whoever "many" is, should have their nascar feedback card revoked.

It will be interesting to see how the new rules are received and what if any impact they have. From the vibe I get here and elsewhere the people that like a speed contest wont be happy. But for those who like drama, pack racing, wrecks and longer races it may just be what the doctor ordered.

I enjoyed the Trucks and Xfinity as much or better, especially after the gerbils showed up. Story of the last few years was Moffitt's team and what they did on a shoestring.

Boyer's take :D

“This is a drastic rule change. The face of our sport is going to be different. Time will tell what opinions are made, and certainly I’ll form my opinion when that time comes. Testing is one thing. It’ll be, what, 14, 15 cars out there next week? When you get out there with 40 nut jobs, it’s a whole different story.”

I thought it wasn't a drastic rule change because average lap speeds were apparently still within a few MPH.

The overall quality of the racing in the Cup Series in 2018 was very good, especially during the second half of the season. I definitely preferred it to the lower series, which I also enjoy, but not as much. I had zero desire for the Cup Series to be more like them.

SHR, Gibbs, and Penske got some data from the last test out there at Auto Club I believe. Who knows what they will come up with for Vegas, it's a buck n a half and what they are shooting for.

Arbitrarily slowing cars down and longer races.....it’s what the fans have been asking for.

I wonder it will bear any resemblance to Daytona and Talladega?

I agree
“That was more exciting than any Charlotte race has been on the (1.5-mile) oval,” said Chevrolet driver Kyle Larson. “I want to go as fast as I can, but you also have to put on a good show for the fans. Not only that, but I think with NASCAR’s plan to help the sport as far as cost goes, that’s where a lot of this package leads to. We’ve just got to wait and see.”
It’ll take away a little of my advantage at tracks like that, but our cars are better, so it might be different. You can’t really answer that until we see the product on the track with the full field of cars.”

I agree but critics and cynics do what they do..because they just know:D
Ford driver Joey Logano thinks on-track competition and the “show” angle of NASCAR might improve if speeds come down and handling goes up. But like so many others, he encourages critics and cynics to wait until officials can conduct tests and get feedback. As always, NASCAR has reserved the right to change the new rules on the fly. At the same time, I think this package at a lot of tracks will be better and at some tracks it may be similar. We’ll just have to wait and see.”

JJ is in the middle of it
Seven-time champion Jimmie Johnson is on both the Drivers’ Council and the Rules Meeting Council. He said NASCAR has listened to drivers, as well as owners, the competition committee, track operators and the television broadcast “partners.”

“I don’t envy the position NASCAR is in,” he said. “They are left with a very difficult decision to balance all the (requests) and make the best decision. Then, at the end of the day, they’re judged by the fans. I don’t envy their position, but I appreciate their commitment to making our sport the best competitive racing around.

“Ultimately, I don’t know what next year will look like; we’ll live and learn together. We’ll have a very competitive year if everybody puts their best foot forward. We’ll be naive to think (the new package) will be awesome everywhere, but there’s a big attempt being made to improve the quality of racing and I support making our sport stronger. At the end of the day they’re still passing out a trophy and I like trophies. So, we’ll make whatever work.”

https://autoweek.com/article/monster-energy-nascar-cup/nascar-cup-drivers-onboard-new-package-2019

Boyer's take :D

“This is a drastic rule change. The face of our sport is going to be different. Time will tell what opinions are made, and certainly I’ll form my opinion when that time comes. Testing is one thing. It’ll be, what, 14, 15 cars out there next week? When you get out there with 40 nut jobs, it’s a whole different story.”

"Wait and see" approach tho. And, what the heck is that 2nd sentence all about?

I'm sure the driver's will be thoroughly prepped and dipped in koolaid when the time comes to draw down on the package. Won't take but a couple pack wrecks for someone to turn on it. "It's just one of them 1.5 track pack racing deals."

If you want to race like a limited late model just be a limited late model, would make the ladder to the top series much more attainable for the guys that work insanely hard to get their equiptment to the best level.

If you want to race like a limited late model just be a limited late model, would make the ladder to the top series much more attainable for the guys that work insanely hard to get their equiptment to the best level.
could be, as it is a very small truck team won their series. They have increased the sealed motor numbers this year in cup.

So I guess after devoting almost forty years to watching this sport, I'm not entitled to have a contrary opinion. Go figure.....:rolleyes:

I was having a conversation with a guy and he was adamant that no negative talk of the rules should be had until we had seen it.

I’m keeping my mind open but from everything I have read and just general principle I have reservations.

I have NO PROBLEM with somebody offering their opinion on the 2019 rules, but the fact is we likely won't know what we have until at least 10 or so races have been run. As I have said, I was a HUGE advocate of the previous rules, but once I saw it, I HATED it. I don't have a damn clue what the 2019 racing will actually look like, but I think it's something that HAS to be tried, even if it fails. There just HAS to be a better answer than what I saw last year, but I'll have no idea what that is. Just for fun, go to Youtube and bring up the NASCAR Legends Reunion video that was done in 1999. It's a fabulous show anyway, but in volume four at about the 20 minute mark they get into a huge discussion about what was wrong with NASCAR (in 1999) and whether a high or low downforce package would fix things, and they couldn't agree even then. Darrell Waltrip went on and on about how dumb it was that a Cup engine had 750 horsepower and he was STRONGLY in favor of a high downforce package. It sounds like he's getting his wish, just twenty years too late. I wonder if he still feels the same way he did then.

Back
Top Bottom