NASCAR Death Bed

Ole Roger is a pretty sharp cookie

I love Roger Penske. If he ever went Toyota, I wouldn't be able to stand myself with my fandom. Used to go to the Champ Car races at Portland International. This was one of the kindest people I have ever met in racing--a true gentleman.

The problem is all the fad fans left 7-10 years ago and the losses of the past few years are eating into the core group of fans that have been around for many years. It would have been difficult to find a more committed Nascar fan than I was as I attended multiple races per year and watched on TV. This year I missed a handful of races and the last race I will see this year was at Martinsville. One guy here says that Nascar is and always has been a niche sport but for a while it was much bigger than a niche sport and now it is heading toward irrelevancy which it the next step below niche. Maybe a more stages per race and a bunch of new rules can get things turned around for 2018.........:D
The deniers are living in a fantasy world. While NASCAR is far from dead, it's bleeding worse than a hemophiliac with a thousand paper cuts. NOTHING TO SEE HERE is what the deniers will proclaim.

Nascar is downsizing until it goes below a sustainable level and then will increase to right itself.
In the meantime sponsor $$ and driver contracts will also drop to a reality level.
Why is all this happening? Because Nascar went overboard on safety and the "danger" aspect
is gone and fans have turned to extreme sports.

Agree regarding the downsizing and sustainability level, which is what always happens with any sport. Doubt the main reason for numbers leaving was the lack of danger. It is still there. More the result of demographics, recession, sameness in product, gen 6 cars that looked and performed poorly, and changing patterns of watching sports.

Especially acute is lack of millennial era interest. They don't know or care about fast cars, can't fix or work on them, can't do things with their hands.

The deniers are living in a fantasy world. While NASCAR is far from dead, it's bleeding worse than a hemophiliac with a thousand paper cuts. NOTHING TO SEE HERE is what the deniers will proclaim.

I agree and I am not sure what is at work with the deniers as I would rather know how things are than believe a bunch of baloney. Some of the stuff that gets posted is pretty funny though like the big news that Barney Visser no longer had to self sponsor the 78. Sure he no longer he has to self sponsor but he had to kill one of his teams to make it happen. The good news is I lost 50 pounds but the bad news is I had to get a leg amputated.

well reported that Jones was on contract from Gibbs for one year. But there is always "that guy" :XXROFL:

Agree regarding the downsizing and sustainability level, which is what always happens with any sport. Doubt the main reason for numbers leaving was the lack of danger. It is still there. More the result of demographics, recession, sameness in product, gen 6 cars that looked and performed poorly, and changing patterns of watching sports.

Especially acute is lack of millennial era interest. They don't know or care about fast cars, can't fix or work on them, can't do things with their hands.
But the number of young people watching extreme sports that on the surface look dangerous (they are not really) is rising. Only thing dangerous now is guys like Denny that hurt themselves being stupid.

But the number of young people watching extreme sports that on the surface look dangerous (they are not really) is rising. Only thing dangerous now is guys like Denny that hurt themselves being stupid.

I think Denny hurt himself once playing basketball and another when opening his mouth to change feet and IDK how dangerous extreme sports are but I am not about to find out.

The age of Nascar's audience is good deathbed material but apparently cable companies like older customers as they pay their bills faster than the youngsters so it isn't all bad. Of course some of the most ardent supporters of Nascar cast illegal streams of the broadcast to their Zenith Consoles so that is not good. It's a paradox full of contradictions.

I am so tired of hearing that. What is really going on, is that they won't watch something, they have no chance of being a part of. Global Rallycross, drifting, drag racing, and GT racing are pretty popular with that crowd. So what is it, that makes those sports different than NASCAR?

I am so tired of hearing that. What is really going on, is that they won't watch something, they have no chance of being a part of. Global Rallycross, drifting, drag racing, and GT racing are pretty popular with that crowd. So what is it, that makes those sports different than NASCAR?

IMO the average person wants to watch something they perceive as having action and that they perceive moves along at a decent pace and I don't think the average person thinks those things happen in Nascar. They may have checked it out and been bored or perhaps just couldn't relate to it.

I have heard people say that fans need to be trained how to watch Nascar and that may be true but people don't want to be trained to like something they want to like it and then learn about it. Others bang on about down force, physics and trail braking but that sort of thing has no value to most people as they want to sit down and be entertained for 3 hours or less.

It looks like Nascar will always exist in some form or another but with the regular losses they incur they will end up like open wheel with one big event and the rest on the small side.

I think Denny hurt himself once playing basketball and another when opening his mouth to change feet and IDK how dangerous extreme sports are but I am not about to find out.

The age of Nascar's audience is good deathbed material but apparently cable companies like older customers as they pay their bills faster than the youngsters so it isn't all bad. Of course some of the most ardent supporters of Nascar cast illegal streams of the broadcast to their Zenith Consoles so that is not good. It's a paradox full of contradictions.
I am all for the streaming. Nascar just has to learn to market their product as does every retailer in the country. Oh and it wouldn't hurt if they replaced Brian with someone that can relate to present trends.

Zenith Consoles...:whoopee:

They aren't selling the ones they are showing on TV either. Excuse the profanity that shows up by the person that posted that on Twitter

As soon as I saw the post about Phoenix selling out I LMAO for a few different reasons. The first was I thought it was a lie, the second is they don't have 50K in the stands and they used to have around 80K and the third is the sheer embarrassment of having to announce a sellout as it should be a given. Saying you have a sellout for a playoff event is like a father saying he takes care of his family...........it should go without saying!!!!!

In the current climate it is extremely unwise for anyone to try and spin Nascar's sponsor situation, TV ratings and track attendance into something good as it is just lipstick on a pig and an all round embarrassment. People try and do it everyday though.

Seeing this is the bad news thread please keep in mind that even if you choose to believe that today's race was a sellout just remember that Nascar claimed that there were 105K in attendance 10 years ago. There were less than 50K in the stands today so people must be home pruning their cacti and palm trees or some other enjoyable activity......:D

They aren't selling the ones they are showing on TV either. Excuse the profanity that shows up by the person that posted that on Twitter

My guess , is this zoomed in photo was took during one of the caution flags, and what this ignorant fool does not understand , that is when people at the race choose to use the restroom or get more refreshments, I am calling BS

No, Jeff Gluck was at the track. I have no reason to doubt his veracity and the truthfulness of the picture.
I think most people that were tweeting him about the empty seats were seeing the new construction on what will be the new front stretch.

And I have personally attended races where there were always hordes of people under the stands both during the race and during
yellow flags.

So let's just end this ridiculous debate about how many people were at the race.

...and I’ve attended races recently that had obvious vast bare areas in the stands.
They were “sold out.”
Absolutely, so have I. I had season tickets for Texas for years --- I know that the section I was in was ALL season ticket holders.
Quite frequently, less than half the seats would have butts in them. None the less, those seats were "sold" for the race.

When I am finally on my Death Bed it is my intention to have a large flat screen clamped to the frame ... I don’t want to miss any racing.

When I am finally on my Death Bed it is my intention to have a large flat screen clamped to the frame ... I don’t want to miss any racing.

All I ask of living is to have no chains on me and all I ask of dying is to go naturally.

i.jpg

I'll excuse the profanity and the ignorance also

Right, right, he track and NASCAR have no reason to even fib about attendance. Ratings down, attendance down (100,000 to 48,000 at this track) but we sold out, look at us, look at us! LMAO.

So, how many tickets were purchased by corporate sponsors that weren't going to be filled? Sure, keep the narrative up that all is OK in NASCAR land. Oh, and noting that I've been to about 60 races I'm aware that people get up. Funny, that when I used to attend races that were sold out (last one I went to was the Indy 500 2 years ago) when those same fans got up to go to the can the stands didn't have huge swathes of metal showing. Gee, why was that? Oh, the track sold out and it wasn't a massaging of the numbers.

Right, right, he track and NASCAR have no reason to even fib about attendance. Ratings down, attendance down (100,000 to 48,000 at this track) but we sold out, look at us, look at us! LMAO.

So, how many tickets were purchased by corporate sponsors that weren't going to be filled? .

The thing that strikes me the funniest with this issue is the track announcing the race was a sellout. When you have removed 35-40% of your seats the last thing you ever want to crow about is attendance and in fact it is the last thing you should even think about mentioning.

Sometime today and tomorrow a series of tweets will be posted by someone named Adam Stern that will be designed to obscure reality. Some people eat that shyte up and would rather be spoon fed a crock than told the truth. IDK why that is.

This isnt from last Sunday’s race at Phoenix
I think it was from the spring race there. It was used in a couple articles talking about attendance issues in NASCAR. Great file photo though. It can probably be used to back any attendance argument until the demise of NASCAR and its pending death are eventually realized..... or not.

Surprised there isn't a peep about the 178 million (non tax payer money) these insane people are spending while Nascar is laying on it's deathbed. #shovelingdirt

Surprised there isn't a peep about the 178 million (non tax payer money) these insane people are spending while Nascar is laying on it's deathbed. #shovelingdirt

The tracks are doing well under the current TV contract which could be a large factor in some of the capital improvements that have been or will be made. Also IDK if the improvements are being made with an eye to being able to use the facility for events other than racing which would make total sense. As Nascar declines the tracks will need to become creative to other users in order to justify existence. Flea markets at Phoenix.....:D

The likely reason no tax dollars are being used is the principals in the project knew better to even ask. I believe it was the city of Glendale that bent over backward to keep the Coyotes in town (talk about empty seats) but if the owner of PIR threatened to leave the area the taxing jurisdiction probably would have said "We're sorry to see you go but don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out."

Back
Top Bottom