NASCAR Death Bed

Counted feet and divided by 2.
The Texas crowd looked disappointing to me, but it's curious that a guy who posts... over and over again... that he ain't watching was able to count the empty seats. I'm just saying...

I don't think teams understood the whole bonus points thing at the beginning of this year. In the playoffs it makes a huge difference so the intensity has certainly picked up. Next year will be intersting to see how teams react at the beginning of the year.

As a fan, I don't like it because it is damn near impossible to figure out how many points a driver gets for each race. I'm not even sure I know what the maximum number of points are that a driver can earn in a race or how far in front of 2nd place that puts him. Also, the fact that you can win the Daytona 500 and not be in first place in the standings is terrible. Plus the forced cautions has crippled strategy this year and made the road course races almost unbearable to watch.
But different strokes for different folks.

Is NA$CAR going to be like the NFL and change the rules every year? Seems so they have for the last 5 years. So what's next with the rules?

I'm sure it will last for 50 more years at least if they bring back 3 short tracks

Where did you get attendance data? #AskingForAFriend

Actually a few members had discussed it on another thread and one even posted a picture of it so finding out about the sparse attendance and juxtaposing it with the SRO crowd at the Dallas Cowboys game 30 miles down the road was easier than falling in love.

It wasn't that bad I thought also, a little light, but it was hot as hell and outside. Infield was full of RV's. TV numbers were decent. All of live sports are down overall FWIW in comparison.

It wasn't that bad I thought also, a little light, but it was hot as hell and outside. Infield was full of RV's. TV numbers were decent. All of live sports are down overall FWIW in comparison.

I disagree with your assertion that the TV numbers were decent as when you compare them to the last measurable race in 2015 viewership was off by approx 1.9 million which means a drop from 4.6 million viewers 2 years ago to about 2.7 million this year. What you feel is "decent" is your business but when a race drops over 40% in 2 years I wouldn't call it decent or acceptable.

Auto-Owners Insurance will step up support of Truex in 2018
Auto-Owners Insurance joins fellow primary sponsors Bass Pro Shops and 5-hour Energy to fully compliment the team for all 38 events next season.
https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-c...will-step-up-support-of-truex-in-2018-975559/

That is the good news but the death bed news is that Barney had to drop from 2 cars to 1 in order to get full sponsorship for the 78. The sad thing is the the car that was killed likely would have been a multiple race winner in the hands of an experienced driver.....now that is a death bed story!

oh that has to be for cheese money right there ;)

175-200K a race sounds about right as that seems in line with what primary sponsorships are worth for many teams now. No more 660K per race like Kasey got with Farmers on the 5 car.

175-200K a race sounds about right as that seems in line with what primary sponsorships are worth for many teams now. No more 660K per race like Kasey got with Farmers on the 5 car.
Hey @StandOnIt it doesn't matter that Smithfield has stepped up from a low-budget team to a championship caliber outfit, or that they have stepped up from 30 races to 38, or that they are widely admired for their aggressive and creative activation strategies. None of that matters to the Deathbed Squad, who will inevitably spin the news into yet another doomsday scenario. SMH.

Hey @StandOnIt it doesn't matter that Smithfield has stepped up from a low-budget team to a championship caliber outfit, or that they have stepped up from 30 races to 38, or that they are widely admired for their aggressive and creative activation strategies. None of that matters to the Deathbed Squad, who will inevitably spin the news into yet another doomsday scenario. SMH.
All news is bad news in NASCAR.

Nothing like a little angst and hyperbole!

They don't have the luxury of taxpayer bond issues and deep tax breaks. So you cut costs(overhead) to increase profits.

They don't have the luxury of taxpayer bond issues and deep tax breaks. So you cut costs(overhead) to increase profits.

Municipalities and cities fight each other to obtain and retain stick and ball teams but not so much for racing facilities.

Part of me wishes Irma would've leveled this place and the championship race would have been decided in Daytona.

Roger Penske:

It’s been a few years (2012) since you won your first NASCAR championship—something you’ve said was a lifelong goal. But now that there’s been time to reflect, would you say that’s still the most personally satisfying racing victory for you?

Winning that was something we hadn’t achieved as a team. We were close. We were in the running last year. The competitive challenge of NASCAR, over 38 races, with format changes … you gotta be on your game. Certainly with teams like [Rick] Hendrick, [Joe] Gibbs, [Richard] Childress—they are obviously in the same boat we are. There are eight, 10, 12 cars that can win any race. We have good drivers and good sponsors. We are well supported by Ford.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/roger-penske-the-interview/

BodyArmor considering sponsorship of Blaney
BodyArmor is considering a move to become a primary sponsor next year of the Team Penske Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series car driven by Ryan Blaney, according to sources. Blaney is moving to Penske from alliance team Wood Brothers Racing, and sources said that the company could come aboard the #12 Ford for several races as a primary sponsor. Blaney signed a personal endorsement deal with the sports drink in March.

Becoming a primary sponsor would mark a more significant investment and opportunity for BodyArmor than its current activation around Blaney.

--- Sports Business Daily ---
http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/21352630/bodyarmor-considering-sponsorship-blaney

Nice to see that more companies are considering Nascar. Most sponsors have been priced out of the game but it looks like some may come back or new ones be added if the price tag drops.
With less money being available, I think Nascar has to back off controlling every little thing AND STOP trying to save teams money.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/11/nascar-tv-ratings-cable-texas-nbcsn/

@FLRacingFan posted this info in the TV thread but I know that some people don't visit that thread and this information is truly deathbed stuff that deserves to be seen.

Some highlights:

Texas was the 26th of 33 races this season to at least tie an all-time or decade-plus ratings low. It was the 24th to do so in viewership. Overall, 27 races have posted a decline in one or both measures.

Of the 19 races on cable this season, just one had an increase in ratings and viewership — the previous week’s Martinsville race, which was up 6% in the former and 4% in the latter.

Streaming had a negligible impact on Sunday’s numbers, bringing the audience up from 2.70 to 2.72 million.

Please weigh in with your thoughts and opinions and anything you have that defends or mitigates this would be very welcome.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/11/nascar-tv-ratings-cable-texas-nbcsn/

@FLRacingFan posted this info in the TV thread but I know that some people don't visit that thread and this information is truly deathbed stuff that deserves to be seen.

Some highlights:

Texas was the 26th of 33 races this season to at least tie an all-time or decade-plus ratings low. It was the 24th to do so in viewership. Overall, 27 races have posted a decline in one or both measures.

Of the 19 races on cable this season, just one had an increase in ratings and viewership — the previous week’s Martinsville race, which was up 6% in the former and 4% in the latter.

Streaming had a negligible impact on Sunday’s numbers, bringing the audience up from 2.70 to 2.72 million.

Please weigh in with your thoughts and opinions and anything you have that defends or mitigates this would be very welcome.
Slow day in the Television Ratings Thread? ;)

Slow day in the Television Ratings Thread? ;)

IMO this info fits perfectly with this thread and I like it because it is in context and totality and it also represents the unvarnished truth. I believe it is someone by the name of David Stern that is always putting forth misleading and gerrymandered factually unimportant info to show a desired result and that is most unfortunate. Also I am hoping that there can be some discussion on why this may appear to be bad news it really isn't as that would be entertaining.

Not really BAD news. New stocks on the market can easily mushroom and then fall back to a reality. Nascar increased it's popularity beyond expectation and instead of keeping people wanting more, Nascar and the TV partners gave more than it could take and as a result people who could have been fans for many years where turned off and so left. After all, who wants Grits everyday 7 days a week?
Nascar is downsizing until it goes below a sustainable level and then will increase to right itself.
In the meantime sponsor $$ and driver contracts will also drop to a reality level.
Why is all this happening? Because Nascar went overboard on safety and the "danger" aspect
is gone and fans have turned to extreme sports.

Not really BAD news. New stocks on the market can easily mushroom and then fall back to a reality. Nascar increased it's popularity beyond expectation and instead of keeping people wanting more, Nascar and the TV partners gave more than it could take and as a result people who could have been fans for many years where turned off and so left. After all, who wants Grits everyday 7 days a week?
Nascar is downsizing until it goes below a sustainable level and then will increase to right itself.
In the meantime sponsor $$ and driver contracts will also drop to a reality level.
Why is all this happening? Because Nascar went overboard on safety and the "danger" aspect
is gone and fans have turned to extreme sports.

The problem is all the fad fans left 7-10 years ago and the losses of the past few years are eating into the core group of fans that have been around for many years. It would have been difficult to find a more committed Nascar fan than I was as I attended multiple races per year and watched on TV. This year I missed a handful of races and the last race I will see this year was at Martinsville. One guy here says that Nascar is and always has been a niche sport but for a while it was much bigger than a niche sport and now it is heading toward irrelevancy which it the next step below niche. Maybe a more stages per race and a bunch of new rules can get things turned around for 2018.........:D

Back
Top Bottom