NASCAR Death Bed

https://sports.yahoo.com/baltimore-...dote-baseballs-attendance-woes-142016925.html

Stick and ball warning.

I think this is a great idea by the Baltimore Orioles. Could it be applied by NASCAR?
Many tracks already offer awesome packages for taking your kids to the race. Bristol's kids package includes $10 tickets for the kiddies 12 and under for this weekend. The thread on NASCAR ticket specials from the track list this kind of thing frequently. If a fan can't pony up $10 for a ticket for their kid then it's time for them take up a Baltimore Orioles game I guess.

Ask yourself the question, " do the networks pay out millions to sports that dont get the ratings NASCAR does?
Ask yourself this, why pay for something that isn't growing? Do you actually think a major network will shell out cash now after Nascar has been putting up bad ratings? If you do that's very illogical.

Sure ...what makes you positive that A Major Network is going to pick them up?

here's your sign. This series has a fraction of the viewership that Nascar has

upload_2018-4-11_15-23-32.png

STP returns to Richard Petty Motorsports at Bristol
Wallace Jr. is looking for redemption, and STP was more than happy to again support Wallace Jr. in his rookie campaign in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. The STP scheme has been one of the most popular this year. Fans raved over the nostalgic colors mixed with Wallace Jr.'s modern touches. The return of STP this weekend has Wallace Jr. excited.

"Martinsville was so disappointing for us," said Wallace Jr. "It's my favorite track and things just didn't go the way we hoped. But, hey, we put that behind us, and now STP is coming back to give us another chance to show what we can do. So, that's awesome and really shows what great partners they are. I love this scheme, the fans love it, and I'm going to do my best to put it up front."

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2018...stp-returns-richard-petty-motorsports-bristol

Obviously the television deal goes well into the next decade, but I think the situation with Monster and so on, is foreshadowing that NASCAR is going to hit the reset button starting with the 2020 season. Not so much the on-track side, but off the track (the on-track product is in pretty good shape, with only some fine-tuning needed). Of course, the sponsorship model is going to change. I can see the schedule being rearranged. I wouldn't be at all surprised how a champion is determined gets changed. I think NASCAR is starting to realize while the audience is still rather solid, they need to find different ways to grow it again. And that will help set things up by the time they negotiate television deals again.

I think they got 500 Million and that contract is up for bid again next year and they have a 5th of our audience.

Hmm, at NASCAR's current pace of decline, it might be at that same level when they sit down to talk about the new contract.

As for IRL.....heading to NBC in 2019. Indianapolis 500 and all. INDYCAR will significantly increase exposure for the Verizon IndyCar Series beginning in 2019 through a media rights package announced with NBC Sports Group. The 3 year deal will put eight Verizon IndyCar Series races, including the Indiaanpolis 500 and its qualifications, on NBC next year. This is an increase from five races on broadcast television this year. The rest of next year’s Verizon IndyCar Series races will be on NBCSN.

I think they got 500 Million and that contract is up for bid again next year and they have a 5th of our audience.

Well, numbers are unconfirmed but thought to be in the $30-$40 million annual range for IndyCar. Most of that was rights for the Indy 500 paid by ABC previously. NBC was paying less than $10 million to televise the last 60% of the season. NBC will now be the rights holder for the entire season starting next year.

NASCAR is getting something like an average of $700 million annually in the current deal.

Your earlier point is accurate, in that some sports that have smaller overall audiences than NASCAR still have relatively large TV deals.

This is a great post. When they went COT, they were marginalizing the manufacturers. NASCAR became driver-centric, and to this day, it still is. Then, they bring the Gen 6, and can't figure out where all of the manufacturer-centric fans went. Additionally, now that the car is supposedly back in the equation, they pile on rule after rule, the OSS, etc. to marginalize the manufacturers (and thus engineers) again. NASCAR has no freakin' direction. Drivers will come and go. The manufactures are the constant (so far). This is STOCK CAR RACING. Drivers are the necessary evil. Bring back Brewer's garage. Let Larry Mac talk technical. Show the fans why these cars are as amazing as they are. Stop dummying down this sport. Dump these stupid rules that end up making the sanctioning body look stupid on Wednesdays when they cucumber wins.

NASCAR says they want to cut costs. They axe a crew member, limit the number of people each team can have, and then implement the stupid OSS. How much did that costs the teams? Where the hell was Kauffman and his buddies on that sh!t? Inspection has become the biggest joke ever. Who gives a sh!t that each car is measured to the thousandth? Nobody. Open it up. Stop this stupidity.
55a9affad87260032e0339429ccba657.jpg

Many tracks already offer awesome packages for taking your kids to the race. Bristol's kids package includes $10 tickets for the kiddies 12 and under for this weekend. The thread on NASCAR ticket specials from the track list this kind of thing frequently. If a fan can't pony up $10 for a ticket for their kid then it's time for them take up a Baltimore Orioles game I guess.

thanks dp. to be honest haven't checked out that thread about ticket specials. just know I became a race fan as a youngster when my dad took me to the home town track as a youngster. of course ticket prices to attend a nascar event for a parent is likely the cheapest part of a trip.

the baseball tickets were for 9 and under. got to get them before they get those cell phones and video toys!

Well, numbers are unconfirmed but thought to be in the $30-$40 million annual range for IndyCar. Most of that was rights for the Indy 500 paid by ABC previously. NBC was paying less than $10 million to televise the last 60% of the season. NBC will now be the rights holder for the entire season starting next year.

NASCAR is getting something like an average of $700 million annually in the current deal.

Your earlier point is accurate, in that some sports that have smaller overall audiences than NASCAR still have relatively large TV deals.
I think the 500 Million was what I read on the 10 year deal for Indy

thanks dp. to be honest haven't checked out that thread about ticket specials. just know I became a race fan as a youngster when my dad took me to the home town track as a youngster. of course ticket prices to attend a nascar event for a parent is likely the cheapest part of a trip.

the baseball tickets were for 9 and under. got to get them before they get those cell phones and video toys!
they have expanded the kids 12 and under are free with an adult offer at all of the Truck and Xfinity races this year too which is a swinging deal

needs more rear wing
I have a buddy that screams "they need to run STOCK cars right off the dealer floor". I've tried to explain they haven't done that for more than 50 years. He. Doesn't. Care. STOCK. OK? Define stock for me. Who decides how roll cage is constructed? He would say NO RULES. Run watcha brung. Hers is what i see under those rules. How many do they have to build to make it legal?
Nissan_GTP_ZX-Turbo_rollout.jpg

I have a buddy that screams "they need to run STOCK cars right off the dealer floor". I've tried to explain they haven't done that for more than 50 years. He. Doesn't. Care. STOCK. OK? Define stock for me. Who decides how roll cage is constructed? He would say NO RULES. Run watcha brung. Hers is what i see under those rules. How many do they have to build to make it legal?
My last two responses are related to the bitching about the Gen 6 car. What do YOU want? Back to the pre-COT twisted sister cars? Please explain. At least they didn't have the stupid ****** splitter crap....

Looks Stock to me. Passed one at the Dealer this morning.

You want me to predict which networks will be in the next TV deal? I would guess there is an 80% likelihood that Fox returns. The relationship and continuity with Fox Sports is strong. The back half of the season deal will either continue to be a hot potato that can be tossed back and forth between NBC Universal and Disney, or it gets carved up differently as it has in the past with TNT's limited participation, or Fox takes the whole thing. The fall portion of the season is fundamentally less attractive in TV terms, and meaningful schedule realignment could occur in the next decade.

The rights fees NASCAR currently receives pay them multiple millions of dollars per hour of televised content. Even factoring for a robust decline, which is unlikely, I am confident the next television contract will reach into the realm of millions.

I would be inclined to agree about Fox, but they're in trouble all the way around. They just sold most of their assets to Disney and there's no guarantee Fox News, Fox Sports and the revamped Fox entertainment will keep them afloat. In fact, Fox News Channel is losing its over 15 year stranglehold on cable news ratings to MSNBC. The NFL's next TV contract could look a lot different and I'm not sure what Fox Sports will be without the NFL. And nobody knows what will become of Fox entertainment, especially since a large part of Disney buying Fox was to get rights to very popular Fox/FX properties.

The cars would end up looking something in between V8 Supercars, and IMSA GT cars. I think they would be great. As far as the saftey aspect goes, both previously mentioned cars don't have a problem getting adequate safety equipment inside them. They might be something like WRC cars too. At least you would be able to tell what they are without looking at the emblems. All of those cars prove they can handle good enough at those speeds too. I believe that NASCAR would attract more fans, if the cars look more like what they buy. That's what attracted a lot of fans in the beginning.

When NASCAR's President goes on a dumb twitter binge after last weeks race, goes after a person while doing it, and only stops when he gets called out for his actions, maybe he's wrapped up too tight in the decline of the ratings, bad calls on pit road, the blame game on the air guns, and the band aid they put on the title sponsor situation.

Last edited:
When NASCAR's President goes on a dumb twitter binge after last weeks race, goes after a person while doing it, and only stops when he gets called out for his actions, maybe he's wrapped up too tight in the decline of the ratings, bad calls on pit road, the blame game on the air guns, and the band aid they put on the title sponsor situation.

Yeah, he needs to keep digging...oh the death beds a commin. woooo

Yeah, he needs to keep digging...oh the death beds a commin. woooo

Glad you agree. Usually your head is in the sand about the issues surrounding the sport. (Sarcasm is a two way street).

Again, thanks for pulling your head out of the sand and seeing the reality of what's happening. Those stands sure were full at Bristol yesterday, and those ratings last week were out of this world!

About 2 days before you pull your head out, wonder what went wrong, and how it all ended?

It is interesting that you attempt to put me down for having an opinion about the sport. It is very different than yours - the bright sunny day and all. However, you fail to realize that only a fan would point out what they believe is wrong with the sport in attempt to shine light on it to fix those issues. It sails right over your head. Maybe you'll feel better listening to the morning guys on NASCAR radio. They think the sport is in great shape and nothing needs to be done to alter the course that it is traveling too.

Back
Top Bottom