NASCAR Death Bed

The grayed-out ominous filter in the video lays it on a bit thick.

Their explanation relies heavily on the familiar refrain that NASCAR faltered by "abandoning its Southern roots“. Never do those arguments account for the reality that the 1990s national expansion is what created the growth opportunity that led to the 2005 peak. It wouldn't have gotten as big by staying sequestered, geographically or culturally. I do agree that NASCAR has brand identity problems, but it is more complex than longing for a bygone era. The video is a decent encapsulation, but lacking further insight beyond the obvious.

The grayed-out ominous filter in the video lays it on a bit thick.

Their explanation relies heavily on the familiar refrain that NASCAR faltered by "abandoning its Southern roots“. Never do those arguments account for the reality that the 1990s national expansion is what created the growth opportunity that led to the 2005 peak. It wouldn't have gotten as big by staying sequestered, geographically or culturally. I do agree that NASCAR has brand identity problems, but it is more complex than longing for a bygone era. The video is a decent encapsulation, but lacking further insight beyond the obvious.
Have to remember it’s CNBC covering NASCAR. Must be a new intern aboard.

The tracks needed to get bigger to accommodate the growth in Nascar. Why the race fans don't go to the tracks today is spread over multiple reasons. The fans walking away from the TV coverage is a different story. Basketball and Hockey have limited seats and much of the
money comes from more games and large TV contracts.
Since we have had the two networks covering the races, I think their lack of understanding the fans is the biggest reason fans are being turned off. One example is the start of each race by D.W. and the walk by Michele. That is enough to turn anyone off. My biggest gripe though is how the announcers have to hype everything. Not a race goes by that we are not told at least 3 times how great the helmet cam is. I for one would rather they show the race. Of course they also must show us highlights of all the crashes that happened at this track. Last but not least is how they have their story lines made up ahead of time and they are not even watching or talking about the race that is being run. How I long for the days of Benny and his pals.

No business structure that is losing fans, sponsores and revenue classifies themselves as “well”. NASCAR is not on a deathbead but by no means is it thriving. The upper echelon took a miscalculated risk to alienate the core fan base, while not keeping up with technological times, and completely undershot their potential.

NASCAR is in desperate need of showing the risk/thrill of racing and the best digital way is through 360 VR cams, upgraded microphones and better audio mixing for the cars (look up binural audio), and “action” style camera shots that emphasize the speed.

I legit remember NASCAR making quotes with monster, at the time monster stepped in... paraphrasing here but it talked about how people will learn to like it....

Think about that folks. As wild as it was to say a little over a season ago... look at the landscape in the last year or so since...

People will learn to like it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Memphis Raceway wants back on NASCAR Trucks, Xfinity schedule
http://autoweek.com/article/nascar/memphis-raceway-wants-back-nascar-trucks-xfinity-schedule

Pretty good piece, bottom line, it ain't all bad. Yep, it's changing, and shrinking in viewers. But it's still the top of the heap as far as stock car racing goes. This piece is not gonna be welcomed news for the death bedders. NASCAR is still alive and well. And has enormous value.

It is top of the heap in the U.S. by far in any motorsports event.

They need to get rid of these dastardly plate races. It's alienating the fans

18.1 Million Viewers Watch Daytona 500 on FOX

Don't know if you guys can pull this survey up or not, but here is a bit of it
upload_2018-5-31_21-53-45.png

17 million in America watched the final stage of the Tour de France. The world wide numbers are astonishing. I don't even get exited about the Daytona 500 any more, the racing is terrible IMO

4. France Family Group adds to portfolio

In a recent SEC filing, International Speedway Corp. stated that the France Family Group owns 74.11 percent of the combined voting power of common stock.

The France Family Group owned 73 percent, according to ISC’s 2016 annual report.

The France Family Group owned 72 percent, according to the ISC’s 2015 annual report.

As a comparison, Bruton Smith and son Marcus own 71 percent of Speedway Motorsports Inc.’s common stock. They owned 70 percent, according to SMI’s 2016 annual report.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/06/01/friday-5-a-new-way-of-thinking-about-nascars-future/

The peak of NASCAR's popularity came after they expanded into new markets. At the time, they had already been racing custom-built race cars for decades.

CNBC completely failed to mention the playoff format, which has alienated a huge number of fans (and former fans).

The peak of NASCAR's popularity came after they expanded into new markets. At the time, they had already been racing custom-built race cars for decades.

CNBC completely failed to mention the playoff format, which has alienated a huge number of fans (and former fans).
Also not quite sure where they got that the COT was significantly quieter than the gen4 model.

Think they confused us with F1

Also not quite sure where they got that the COT was significantly quieter than the gen4 model.

Think they confused us with F1
All it takes is a little bit of research, but the media will put out anything these days.

Pretty much the whole article could be phoned in from reading any Nascar tweaker thread on any racing forum. There have been discussions here for quieter cars among a million other tweaks.

Give people facts or drama they will pick drama almost every time
upload_2018-6-2_21-47-6.png

What do you think networks will pay for the #2 most watched sport when it is time to renew?
upload_2018-6-2_21-50-50.png

Interesting information you posted StandOnIt, thanks. It’s encouraging to see that NHRA is having a very good year with attendance. Everything is relative. Tracks try to make ticket prices more affordable with packages and kids get in free promotions. Each family has a tipping point relative to their income and spending ability. When attending a race is attractive enough and hits the right $ amount people say “let’s go”. A number of tracks are improving the total race day experience.

The product on the track has to be compelling. I think Nascar has plenty of drivers with the skill and appeal to reach their audience. The cars and racing are a bit better, but more work is needed.

Why of course they will, even if attendance, viewership, and sponsorships all continue to decline/decrease.

:sarcasm:

None of that matters, they'll get a bigger TV deal next time. These networks will over pay for live sports because they are easier to sale to advertisers since they are not DVRd as much as other shows.

Really? I feel the nba, mlb, and nhl is bigger
I think the "#2 watched sport" thing is a bit of a misnomer. A Cup race probably does have more viewers than a regular season MLB/NBA/NHL game because in a NASCAR race, the entire "league" (for lack of a better word) is on display, whereas in those other three sports, only 2 of the 30 teams are competing. Unless you're a fan of one of those teams or it's a marquee matchup, you're probably not going to watch, whereas in a NASCAR race everybody's favorite driver is competing in that one event.

I think the "#2 watched sport" thing is a bit of a misnomer. A Cup race probably does have more viewers than a regular season MLB/NBA/NHL game because in a NASCAR race, the entire "league" (for lack of a better word) is on display, whereas in those other three sports, only 2 of the 30 teams are competing. Unless you're a fan of one of those teams or it's a marquee matchup, you're probably not going to watch, whereas in a NASCAR race everybody's favorite driver is competing in that one event.

Yes. I'm reluctant to wade into this because it's likely to turn into a NASCAR vs. "stick and ball" pissing match. Measuring by average viewers per event is extremely favorable to NASCAR, as there are 38 Cup events per year, or around 100 if combining all three national series. There are a few hundred NFL games per season, and thousands of MLB, NHL, and NBA games.

me too anything I post gets censored, From an advertising standpoint more fans watching would be concern for an advertiser and what the price would be for the spot to the ones that have bought the package not a popularity contest and a cumulative number. The other thing was about the jack wagon (has the last name of a bottom feeder fish) who isn't content with posting numbers but tries to do his best deathbed on the sport while it's all fluffy and well other places when it mostly isn't.

Yes. I'm reluctant to wade into this because it's likely to turn into a NASCAR vs. "stick and ball" pissing match. Measuring by average viewers per event is extremely favorable to NASCAR, as there are 38 Cup events per year, or around 100 if combining all three national series. There are a few hundred NFL games per season, and thousands of MLB, NHL, and NBA games.
I like NFL. Haven’t watched an NBA game since Jordan retired. Never made it through an entire baseball broadcast and I’m not remotely interested in hockey.

I haven't watched Football since Jerry Jones took over the cowboys, Cardinal baseball since my grand ma passed, Top level pro hockey since I moved out of the Blackhawks area in the 60's had season tickets for the ice oilers in Tulsa for 5 years, never cared much of genetically 7ish tall footers playing around with a 10 foot tall hoop, even worse now that they let them walk in from the key and the other ones have morphed into 3 pointers. Stayed with racing warts and all since the 60's when my cousin took me to a dirt track. I would rather be a decent fan at one than mediocre at all of them, I don't have the time or the interest.

Back
Top Bottom