NASCAR Death Bed

I'm glad that you read my post and expect to gather useful perspectives from them.

I've agreed with and even admired some of your posts in other threads, while not finding much utility in the tack I see you taking in this one, which IMO too often feeds the 'toxic' atmosphere of overly polarized sides that Lew mentioned.

I am honestly curious about your non-traditionlist views on how NASCAR would be improved. I am in many ways a racing purist, but certainly not always a traditionalist in the NASCAR context. I am in favor of some changes that would be sacrilege to many longtime fans. So curious what yours are.

I am glad that there is a wealth of motor racing available for me to watch, all of which aside from F1 that are small and niche compared to NASCAR. Every one of the series I follow wants to be more popular, but there are no serious aspirations to reach NASCAR levels. When you look at the wider realm of auto racing, the '90s and '00s heights of NASCAR popularity look like an aberration, not a default expectation. I consider Brian France to be a monstrously incompetent trust fund buffoon who mismanaged the sport and accelerated the decline with his foolish desire to emulate football and basketball. But that's done, and he is receding into the background. I think chasing new audiences with more quick fix gimmicks will only make things worse.

Completely agree but unfortunately I expect the gimmicks to continue

IMO, the challenge of racing translating to people today is simply due to how advanced technology has become, the many multiple options for people to spend their time, and the lack of connection by younger generations to cars/racing.

Advanced technology - The ability to view internet programming on demand, DVR or cloud recording, and advanced video gaming forces racing to compete with hundreds of options. As a kid I grew up with the option on Sundays after church and lunch of going outside (to play, fish etc. which I did plenty of) or listen to the race on the radio. I starting combining both with my portable radio. Now that everyone can tap in and out of so many options, it forces programming to be compelling at all times to keep from getting tuned out.

Multiple Options - Leisure time pursuits are more numerous than ever. In sports that demand an investment of significant time, most are experiencing decreased viewership. The premium sport, NFL, is blunting their own nose due to player actions, but even before that a small slide had begun. Studies show more people getting outside or pursuing interests outside of watching tv.

Lack of connection by younger generations - We all have seen this happening for years. Car culture is waning among the very young. I couldn’t WAIT to get my drivers license on my 16th birthday. I am shocked how many kids put off getting their license now, sometimes for a couple of years. More want to live in urban areas and be connected to their friends constantly via texting or doing group things. Their car options rarely involve anything with power. Millineals see, more indifferent to racing than older generations. My son is 32 and loves cars, went to races, etc. but his interest in NASCAR seemed to wane as he got into college, started dating, married, then raising a family. We will occasionally talk about racing when I bring it up, but he is wrapped up in many of the things I spoke of in the first two sections.

IMO, the challenge of racing translating to people today is simply due to how advanced technology has become, the many multiple options for people to spend their time, and the lack of connection by younger generations to cars/racing.

Advanced technology - The ability to view internet programming on demand, DVR or cloud recording, and advanced video gaming forces racing to compete with hundreds of options. As a kid I grew up with the option on Sundays after church and lunch of going outside (to play, fish etc. which I did plenty of) or listen to the race on the radio. I starting combining both with my portable radio. Now that everyone can tap in and out of so many options, it forces programming to be compelling at all times to keep from getting tuned out.

Multiple Options - Leisure time pursuits are more numerous than ever. In sports that demand an investment of significant time, most are experiencing decreased viewership. The premium sport, NFL, is blunting their own nose due to player actions, but even before that a small slide had begun. Studies show more people getting outside or pursuing interests outside of watching tv.

Lack of connection by younger generations - We all have seen this happening for years. Car culture is waning among the very young. I couldn’t WAIT to get my drivers license on my 16th birthday. I am shocked how many kids put off getting their license now, sometimes for a couple of years. More want to live in urban areas and be connected to their friends constantly via texting or doing group things. Their car options rarely involve anything with power. Millineals see, more indifferent to racing than older generations. My son is 32 and loves cars, went to races, etc. but his interest in NASCAR seemed to wane as he got into college, started dating, married, then raising a family. We will occasionally talk about racing when I bring it up, but he is wrapped up in many of the things I spoke of in the first two sections.
Agree 100%. My interest in Football ended with free-agency. I believe in loyalty. But let's not go down that rathole. I've lived in NC for 20 years and can count the Nascar fans I've spoken with on one hand. 98% compare it to WWE. Say it's fixed. Don't like much of anything about it. "it's just cars going in circles". absolutely don't get it. Where did the fans go? Did ANY of those fans ACTUALLY understand what racing is about or was it just the popular thing to do/follow? There is no doubt in my mind that "motor racing" interest is dying in the USA. It won't come back. Peoples interest changes. It's not wrong.

NASCAR near Death- Buys another series.
Spend a half a million of their own money remodeling Daytona.....many of the so called fans demand a lunacy commission to find and oust Brian. He hasn't been found, last seen supervising the remodeling at Richmond while Uncle Jim was spending money like a drunkin sailor buying ARCA

Tickets can be had on the Talladega Speedway website for today's race. Who knows maybe they will suddenly and mysteriously sell out before race time and an announcement will be made to that effect.:D

In sports that demand an investment of significant time, most are experiencing decreased viewership.
Good point! One of the big advantages enjoyed by the mainstream team sports - football, baseball, basketball, hockey - is that it takes little time invested and near zero knowledge to figure out how to have a good time... you root for the home team or for your own school. I'm not saying these sports don't have nuances. They certainly do. But a newbie or casual fan doesn't need to grasp the nuances to experience favorably an event in person or on TV with others.

Sports that don't have a home team are at a serious disadvantage. Sports that aren't culturally integrated through our schools and youth leagues are at a serious disadvantage. Everyone knows this, but what to do about it? No one can figure that out.

All motorsports are niche, not mainstream... they have always been niche, except for a brief few years when Nascar became a cultural fad similar to the Urban Cowboy craze of the 1980's. I'm OK with that. I'm OK being attracted to and passionate about a niche activity. I don't need millions of others to tell me it is OK to love racing. There are enough of us to sustain a rich fabric of many forms of motorsports into the long term future. But clearly, the financial side of racing would be easier to figure out if ticket sales and TV ratings were stronger. We know the reasons, or have opinions about the reasons. What to do about it... not so much.

Tickets can be had on the Talladega Speedway website for today's race. Who knows maybe they will suddenly and mysteriously sell out before race time and an announcement will be made to that effect.:D
ISC is a public corporation, subject to the laws and regulations of the Securities Exchange Commission. Issuing false information about the business would be beyond stupid. But carry on...

I'll bet Talladega has a decent crowd today.

ISC is a public corporation, subject to the laws and regulations of the Securities Exchange Commission. Issuing false information about the business would be beyond stupid. But carry on...

I'll bet Talladega has a decent crowd today.

And your point is what? My point is that it isn't sold out. You know, the race that everyone waits for and watches for (cough, cough) good racing. Sure, but we all know everyone watches it for The Big One. I'm sure some will pipe in and say they don't but for some strange reason the race is sold/advertised via that. As you put it, carry on...I hear there is a place open in the NASCAR kool-aid line from one of the fans that stopped watching and/or going.

And your point is what? My point is that it isn't sold out. You know, the race that everyone waits for and watches for (cough, cough) good racing. Sure, but we all know everyone watches it for The Big One. I'm sure some will pipe in and say they don't but for some strange reason the race is sold/advertised via that. As you put it, carry on...I hear there is a place open in the NASCAR kool-aid line from one of the fans that stopped watching and/or going.
The lower section of the stands is mostly empty

This is an opinion and I firmly disagree with it.
And yet the ads for the race all highlight the big one. Okey dokey. Like I posted a few would run in to state that they watch restrictor plate racing for the awesome racing. Thanks for showing up and proving me correct.;)

The lower section of the stands is mostly empty
That's were those openings in line are.
kool-aid-man-busts-a-wall.gif

And yet the ads for the race all highlight the big one. Okey dokey. Like I posted a few would run in to state that they watch restrictor plate racing for the awesome racing. Thanks for showing up and proving me correct.;)
It's an "opinion" there is no right or wrong.

Some tune in for the wrecks and some don't. Who cares why? Care that they do.

NASCAR..... Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Some tune in for the wrecks and some don't. Who cares why? Care that they do.

NASCAR..... Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.
I agree. You never see me complain about restrictor plate tracks. I enjoy watching the races on them. One of the few times that tension builds and builds, and you can feel what is coming. Yes, I enjoy watching the big one. Just like I enjoy watching beating and banging when it happens on a short track.

From Jeff Gluck on commercials. They matter because they are what funds what the networks pay to broadcast the event and if they cause the viewer to get mad then they turn off the TV.

"Sunday’s race had the fewest lead changes for a Talladega race since 1998, and FOX missed three of the green-flag lead changes while at commercial. It also missed the first Big One.

The amount of commercials was infuriating and, frankly, insulting to the viewers. FOX continues to disrespect the remaining few NASCAR fans who have stuck around to watch the races, apparently with no intention of making any changes to make the broadcasts more tolerable....NASCAR has many problems. The relentless amount of commercials being shoved down viewers’ throats is among the most pressing, but is also sadly among the least likely to change."

(Hope this post doesn't get deleted and I'm not sure why my last one did)

Today I learned that 9 months ago, Richard Petty Motorsports made a sponsorship cold call to WWT, Inc. Of course, we all already knew what Dale and Amy Earnhardt were doing 9 months ago, LOL.

Gluck was laid off from the network, so his bread isn't being buttered by them anymore, and his website/blog/tweets are a source of his income. I doubt if his stirring the pot will amount to the networks changing anything. It would nice if it did. I hope he can continue to survive outside of the networks influences.

I hope he can too. It seems that he is more free to actually express his opinion about the sport and what is wrong with it. I seriously doubt that he would have been able to share what he actually thought about the amount of ads (which we all know is true) if he hadn't been independent.

The networks aren't going to change anything until the rating go further into the tank.

Sport just needs some damn drama. Look at F1, so much going on it has me glued. There are basically no rivalries and no drama going on in NASCAR, and it’s gotten kinda stale

Pretty good piece, bottom line, it ain't all bad. Yep, it's changing, and shrinking in viewers. But it's still the top of the heap as far as stock car racing goes. This piece is not gonna be welcomed news for the death bedders. NASCAR is still alive and well. And has enormous value.

Pretty good piece, bottom line, it ain't all bad. Yep, it's changing, and shrinking in viewers. But it's still the top of the heap as far as stock car racing goes. This piece is not gonna be welcomed news for the death bedders. NASCAR is still alive and well. And has enormous value.

Until this TV contract is done. Then where is the money??

No business structure that is losing fans, sponsores and revenue classifies themselves as “well”. NASCAR is not on a deathbead but by no means is it thriving. The upper echelon took a miscalculated risk to alienate the core fan base, while not keeping up with technological times, and completely undershot their potential.

NASCAR is in desperate need of showing the risk/thrill of racing and the best digital way is through 360 VR cams, upgraded microphones and better audio mixing for the cars (look up binural audio), and “action” style camera shots that emphasize the speed.

Back
Top Bottom